The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Well, IMO, Hulk wasn't that bad. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that film. I just loved it honestly.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Well, IMO, Hulk wasn't that bad. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that film. I just loved it honestly.

I loved the twenty minutes he was the Hulk, but beyond that I couldn't really take very much of it.
    darenhat wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I loved the twenty minutes he was the Hulk, but beyond that I couldn't really take very much of it.

I think that if the powers-that-be were so dissatisfied with the direction of this film, perhaps try another director for a sequel instead of scrapping the whole foundation and starting from scratch. It really wasn't that tragic IMO; maybe a tad on the Superman Returns side when it came to emo but with a lot more action. Hulk at least kicked butt throughout the film and Bana did a good job as Banner.

Isn't The Leader going to make an appearance in the new Marvel-backed venture?

• arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    What are the chances of a Marvel Avengers film? It would have to be an epic but I think it could work.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,281MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    What are the chances of a Marvel Avengers film? It would have to be an epic but I think it could work.

They have done a couple of animated Avengers movies. I think a live action flick would be way too expensive to produce and would probably be beyond the grasp of the mainstream audience. On the other hand, a well-produced CGI Avengers movie would be a good compromise. I don't know if you ever saw Final Fantasy: Spirits Within; the plot was pretty forgettable but the visual style and quality of the CGI was quite striking. An Avengers (or better yet, a Justice Leauge) movie in that visual style would really kick ass (or is that arse?).
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    As always,listings like these can only reflect one person's opinion.Here's my list(I'm including a few serials because some of them are quite faithful to their source material):

1)Batman Begins

2)Superman II

3)Batman-Mask of the Phantasm

4)Hellboy

5)Spider-Man

6)The Phantom

7)The Rocketeer

8)V-for Vendetta

9)The Shadow

10)Danger:Diabolik

11)Spy Smasher(serial)

12)The Adventures of Captain Marvel(serial)

13)X-Men

14)The Road to Perdition

15)Sin City

16)Jane and the Lost City

17)Elektra

18)Daredevil

19)Dick Tracy

20)The Punisher

Then there's

I) Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios' Superman cartoons

II)Batman:the Animated Series

III)Superman:the Animated Series

IV)Flash Gordon:The Greatest Adventure of All

V)Jonny Quest(there was one comic book based on the series published during it's original run on TV-- and a long series of JQ comics was published in the 1980s)

I also like the unsold pilot for The Spirit,so it's on the list,too-- along with the Red Ryder serial and all four of the Republic Dick Tracy serials.And then there's the first season of Wonder Woman and The Flash TV series.
    edited October 2006
    As always,listings like these can only reflect one person's opinion.Here's my list(I'm including a few serials because some of them are quite faithful to their source material):

1)Batman Begins

9)The Shadow

Just ranking these two so accurately makes your list all the more credible, W.G. :x {[]

But could you fill me in on Spy Smasher?

edited October 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:

1)Batman Begins

9)The Shadow

Just ranking these two so accurately makes your list all the more credible, W.G. :x {[]

But could you fill me in on Spy Smasher?

Thanks,Rogue.I'd have given The Shadow a higher rating if the screenplay had been better.

Now to answer your question....

Spy Smasher was one of Fawcett Comics' wealthy playboys who used his mind and physical expertise to combat evildoers.He was around during the Second World War and took on Axis spies both at home and abroad.

Tall,broad-shouldered and dashingly handsome,the young Virginia aristocrat Alan Armstrong was sort of the Bruce Wayne of his respective publishing house.He was to Batman what Captain Marvel was to Superman.

As Spy Smasher,Alan Armstrong wore a leather pilot's helmet with the goggles always down as his mask.In the comics he also wore a green bodysuit, but the serial gave him something more practical:a leather flight jacket and a shirt with the large diamond design on the chest area along with a V for victory spelled out in Morse code on his belt buckle.Additionally,he wore jodphers,leather gloves and high boots --plus a billowing cape.

Armstrong packed a sidearm when in his role as a costumed mystery man, and unlike some of his comics contemporaries,Spy Smasher wasn't above shooting his adversaries.

Moreover,not only was Armstrong an Olympic level athlete(intentionally classified 4F so he'd be free to operate as Spy Smasher--something which bothered Armstrong),he was also a master of disguise who spoke several languages fluently, and had contacts throughout free and occupied Europe alike.Hitler put out a contract on Spy Smasher.

Spy Smasher had a distinctive vehicle at hand-- especially built from his design.It was the Gyrosub-a combination fighter plane,helicopter and submarine.

Alan Armstrong was engaged to a beautiful girl named Eve, and her father-- Admiral Corby-- was his contact with the military.The Admiral usually relayed special orders from FDR to Spy Smasher.Occasionally,Spy Smasher even met with FDR directly.

Spy Smasher first appeared in comics in 1940 in his superpowered friend,
    Captain Marvel's comic book Whiz Comics.Not long after he got his own book.
    After WWII came to a close Spy Smasher became Crime Smasher.

When DC bought the Fawcett characters in the early 1970s,Spy Smasher was among them(along with the Marvel Family,Bulletman,Ibis,etc.).I think he appears in at least one of those epic JLA crossovers with the JSA in a special story where the heroes of Earth-S(I think that's what the Fawcett earth was called by DC) also became involved.I'm sure I have this one somewhere in my collection.

Anyway,check out the Spy Smasher serial--it's one of the better comic book chapterplays.It's only on VHS now, but hopefully it'll wind up on DVD eventually.This serial was made at the height of WWII by Republic and has an expensive look,a better than average--and a pretty faithful to the comics-- screenplay,plus many superb stunts/effects, and an excellent cast lead by Kane Richmond in the lead role.Very much worth a glance. :)

The Indiana Jones films borrowed extensively from this and several of the other Republic serials.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    actually Spy Smasher debuted in exactly the same issue of Whiz Comics that Captain Marvel did
    DCs reprinted the whole thing at least twice now, it also has the first appearance of Ibis The Invincible, Fawcetts occult character
    I think Spy Smashers appeared in a few of DC's attempts to revive Shazam
    AC comics has reprinted a lot of vintage 1940s stories of both these characters, as well as other longforgotten Fawcett characters like Mr Scarlet and Bulletman

havent see his serial, I do have the Captain Marvel one
    it does take some liberties with the source material
    (Captain Marvel being a humorless tuff guy who keeps aiming his fist at crooks faces and saying "talk or I'll...") but is very well done, more watchable than alot of those old serials
    anybody seen the original Batman serial? that ones got a bad rep but I thought it pretty good
    edited April 2007
    actually Spy Smasher debuted in exactly the same issue of Whiz Comics that Captain Marvel did
    DCs reprinted the whole thing at least twice now, it also has the first appearance of Ibis The Invincible, Fawcetts occult character
    I think Spy Smashers appeared in a few of DC's attempts to revive Shazam
    AC comics has reprinted a lot of vintage 1940s stories of both these characters, as well as other longforgotten Fawcett characters like Mr Scarlet and Bulletman

havent see his serial, I do have the Captain Marvel one
    it does take some liberties with the source material
    (Captain Marvel being a humorless tuff guy who keeps aiming his fist at crooks faces and saying "talk or I'll...") but is very well done, more watchable than alot of those old serials
    anybody seen the original Batman serial? that ones got a bad rep but I thought it pretty good

Thanks for the corrections.:) Some liberties were taken with both the Spy Smasher and Captain Marvel serials, but not so much as in many others where sometimes only the character's name is retained with little else.Republic was particularly famous for that--witness the guntoting vigilante DA who drove the streets of LA and calls himself Captain America, or their version of Dick Tracy who suddenly became a member of the FBI.

Entertaining regardless,but Republic could've been a little closer to their source material without much effort involved(Steve Rogers is on leave in LA--Tracy is attached to the FBI).They even rewrote the Lone Ranger's origin--but that said,they were absolutely true to Zorro in Zorro's Fighting Legion:he's Don Diego de la Vega and the timeline is correct.Even the idea of a group of masked men lead by Zorro comes the original novel.(Republic's other Zorro serials are another story altogether).Maybe it all came down to the writers and how familiar they were with the material they were adapting-along with economic concerns.

Anyway,yes,the serial's Captain Marvel is grimmer than the Big Red Cheese but this is probably as much do to the superhuman looking actor Tom Tyler's limited acting ability as anything else.The general origin is retained and although Frank Coughlin Jr's older than the comic book Billy Batson, I think he still imparts that "Gosh!Wow!" innocence pretty well.

I was surprised to see how closely the Spy Smasher storyline was retained for it's serial, and the actors in the cast actually resemble their comic book counterparts.It's one of Republic's better serials and was later released on VHS as Spy Smasher Returns.

I've seen both of the Batman serials and don't much like either one.I realize these things were made very cheaply by Columbia but there's still no excuse for the shoddiness.That said,I do like their Spider serials.

But when it came to comic book productions only Columbia's Superman serials avoided the tacky look--but that's because a great deal more was spent on them.In fact,from what I've read,the Captain Marvel serial largely came about after Republic lost it's bid to film Superman.The live-action flying effects they'd developed and use extensively in Adv.Captain Marvel-right down to the flying figure- were initally planned for use for a Superman project.

But anyway,I DO, however, like Lewis Wilson in his turn as Batman in the first serial.He certainly looked like Bruce Wayne and handled himself well onscreen.It's interesting that his son Michael would later become a major voice at EON as Cubby Broccoli's stepson.
    RogueAgent wrote:

1)Batman Begins

9)The Shadow

Technically, isn't the Shadow actually a "pulp" character and not a comic book adaptation? I thought that the film version, and the Shadow that we know, were simply influenced by painter George Rozen's pulp covers of Walter Gibson's (AKA Maxwell Grant's) novels?
    edited October 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

1)Batman Begins

9)The Shadow

Technically, isn't the Shadow actually a "pulp" character and not a comic book adaptation? I thought that the film version, and the Shadow that we know, were simply influenced by painter George Rozen's pulp covers of Walter Gibson's (AKA Maxwell Grant's) novels?

He qualifies, Darenhat. ;)

untitled-2.jpg

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    looks like the Spy Smasher serial is available on DVD from AC Comics
    check the hyperlink on that page for Golden Age reprints
    many of their issues of Men of Mystery have reprints of vintage Fawcett comics stories
    most comic stores dont carry AC comics, cuz theyre expensive and of interest mostly to historian types
    Flash Gordon should definitely be in there. It is one of the campest films ever made, and not everyone's cup of tea, but it looks fantastic and has a great cast beyond the so-so leads.
    Flash Gordon should definitely be in there. It is one of the campest films ever made, and not everyone's cup of tea, but it looks fantastic and has a great cast beyond the so-so leads.

Wasn't Timothy Dalton in that looking very Errol Flynn?

RogueAgent wrote:

Wasn't Timothy Dalton in that looking very Errol Flynn?

And The Rocketeer too. It's strange that Dalton is remembered as the 'dour' Bond (not by me I hasten to add) because he was quite a dashing actor when he wanted to be.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    darenhat wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

untitled-2.jpg

I know they made comics of the Shadow, I was simply wondering where the film draws its influences. Is it really a strong comic adaptation, or is the film simply a consistent portrayal like the comics were?
    edited October 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    I know they made comics of the Shadow, I was simply wondering where the film draws its influences. Is it really a strong comic adaptation, or is the film simply a consistent portrayal like the comics were?

I think that the same arguement could be made of the pulp heroes Zorro and Doc Savage which I both consider as well comic book heroes regardless. Now as far as conjuring up a theory as to how these characters might've evolved over the years is debatable.

But aren't pulps considered just a more literal form of comic books? In a roundabout way, Darenhat, it sort of goes hand in hand.

I'm sure Tony or W.G. can expound abit more in detail.

edited October 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

untitled-2.jpg

Great question,Darenhat.Yes,The Shadow was originally a pulp hero--as was Doc Savage.The Pulp heroes predated all of the famous comic book heroes,and served as partial inspirations for later characters like Batman and Superman(Doc Savage had The Fortress of Solitude long before Superman,for example-and Batman literally stole The Black Bat's costume, while the Bat's origin became a huge influence on that of Two-Face).Many comic book creators like Siegel and Shuster and Bill Finger and Bob Kane acknowledged the debts they owed to previous authors.

Anyway--Not only did Street & Smith publish pulps but they also--very briefly--tried their hands at comic books and some of them featured The Shadow and Doc Savage.These were concurrent with their other magazines.But the pulp appearances came first.

My opinion of The Shadow movie:
    The Alec Baldwin Shadow movie tries to be a synthesis of both the pulp version of the character and also a little of the generally better known radio iteration as well.On the radio,The Shadow could cloud men's minds and become completely invisible.The pulp character doesn't have that kind of power but instead uses his black clothing and long enveloping cloak(dramatically depicted in the Rozen paintings)to blend into the darkness.The screenwriter was apparently confused by the two versions of the character.So it's flawed--it's creatively compromised.

However,the majority of the movie is a dead on interpretation of the pulp character.There are a few changes--Lamont Cranston is definitely the secret identity of The Shadow,and Margo Lane has blonde hair.The Shadow wasn't Cranston at all,but WWI ace Kent Allard who posed(with Cranston's permission)as Cranston.Both men were tall dark and hawk-faced.But overall,these are minor points.And in this movie a bizarre version of The Shadow's origin is revealed.Still,supporting characters from the pulps, Shrevvy the cabby, and The Shadow's contact,Burbank, Commisioner Wainright Barth and Roy Tam are in evidence.The sets are all gorgeous-an Art Deco 1930s New York City.

As The Shadow, Alec Baldwin's face undergoes a complete alteration until it exactly mirrors Rozen's depictions of the character--the high cheekbones,hawk nose and all.And once he goes into action as The Shadow,Baldwin's speaking voice becomes an excellent recreation of the one heard on the radio(not Orson Welles perhaps,but very much like that of Bret Morrison).He also packs two big .45s--just like the pulp hero.And he delivers the famous harsh, deep,eerie spine-tingling laugh perfectly."Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?The Shadow knows!"

Very cool...

The villain of the piece is Shiwan Khan--the lineal descendant of Genghis Khan and The Shadow's most famous adversary in the pulps.John Lone plays this character with great style.The third act's a little weak(IMO) but this really is a movie worth seeing.I've seen all of the other Shadow movies(including the Columbia serial with the always impressive Victor Jory--who was perfectly cast--if only the story was as good as he is),and can say that this particular motion picture,although flawed, is the best overall rendition of the Shadow character ever to come to the screen.

The Shadow definitely looks as though it was intended to be the first of a series of movies,ala' the then current Batman movie.At the time it was certainly being positioned to do so--complete with toys and other tie-ins timed to the film's release.Frankly,I think The Shadow is a far superior film to any of the 1980s Batman movies, and should have had a few sequels, but perhaps The Shadow just didn't go over with general audiences the way the more famous and presold Batman did.I've read reports from time to time suggesting that there might be another Shadow movie in the works for the future.

It's really hard to say, because only The Shadow knows...

And as for Flash Gordon...I know Flash Gordon...Flash Gordon is a favorite comic strip of mine.Only Buster Crabbe is Flash Gordon.His three serials are literally lightyears ahead of the unfortunately campy Di Laurentiis movie.Check 'em out and you'll see what I mean.I will say,however, that IMO Timothy Dalton's Errol Flynn turn as Prince Barin and Ornella Muti's stunning Princess Aura are among the Di Laurentiis' flicks few saving graces.
    Thanks, WG. Your insight, as always, is incredibly helpful and entertaining. I'm a big Doc Savage fan (there's one movie that I'm pretty sure we can agree won't make the list) but don't know too much about the Shadow other than what I've seen in the movie and hear on the random radio program.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    But aren't pulps considered just a more literal form of comic books?
    I think its the other way round, the Pulps came first
    Pulp magazines were published in the 20s and 30s, aimed at a semiliterate workingclass readership
    comic books became a popular form after Superman in 1938
    several of the Golden Age publishing houses were branches of Pulp publishing houses, exploiting a new market
    Fiction house (Sheena, Planet Comics) was one, most of their titles were comic book versions of existing Pulp magazine titles
    so was Marvel Comics!
    edited October 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    I'm a big Doc Savage fan (there's one movie that I'm pretty sure we can agree won't make the list) but don't know too much about the Shadow other than what I've seen in the movie and hear on the random radio program.

Yeah, I know what you mean about The Man of Bronze.George Pal probably meant well but the film just isn't what it should have been.

Years ago I used to think that Dolph Lundgren would've been a fine Doc in a bigger and considerably more faithful-to-the-character movie.I'm sure there are plenty of actors today who while currently unknown to the general public could pull off this character with ease.All we really need is someone who's willing to produce such a film-and take the character seriously.Doc's a movie franchise waiting to happen.It's not as if Indiana Jones has a monopoly on fantastic adventure stories set in the 1930s and 40s,after all.
    edited October 2006
    The Shadow definitely looks as though it was intended to be the first of a series of movies,ala' the then current Batman movie.At the time it was certainly being positioned to do so--complete with toys and other tie-ins timed to the film's release.Frankly,I think The Shadow is a far superior film to any of the 1980s Batman movies, and should have had a few sequels, but perhaps The Shadow just didn't go over with general audiences the way the more famous and presold Batman did.I've read reports from time to time suggesting that there might be another Shadow movie in the works for the future.

It's really hard to say, because only The Shadow knows...

I read as late as last spring that The Shadow was indeed to return to the big screen. I think that it's a matter of ironing out details on who does what but I've read that a script is being smoothed out as we speak. ;)

This is a comic movie question:

Can someone please tell me the tune that plays at the beginning of Blade during the bloodbath scene? I think that it really set the tone for his introduction in this film and the fight sequence has to be one of the best ever.

Please help...

• Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I never understood how Alan Moore,
    a comics writer who demanded and was allowed uunprecedented creative control over his work while at DC,
    allowed his stories to be so completely *******ised by these hack fimmakers
    those guys made it near impossible for me to convince people they might want to try reading From Hell or Extraordinary Gentlemen
    I didnt even see V For Vendetta cuz a the stinktastic precedent of those two movies
    was it any better?
    I actually really enjoyed From Hell. I agree that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is junk but not about From Hell. Also, you should see V For Vendetta. Although flawed, it's terrific.

From hell had a very good storyline IMO
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I also enjoyed Hulk. I actually enjoyed most of the films on the list, however I don't think that Hulk, and several other films on the list, are as good as The Crow, and the inclusion of some of these films, such as Hulk, at the expense of The Crow puzzles me.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited October 2006
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I also enjoyed Hulk. I actually enjoyed most of the films on the list, however I don't think that Hulk, and several other films on the list, are as good as The Crow, and the inclusion of some of these films, such as Hulk, at the expense of The Crow puzzles me.

One might interpret THE CROW as being too moody and depressing; perhaps the director accomplished that feat too well. I mean the hero's orgin is quite tragic to begin with yet by the time you reach the end of the picture you're still left with a sense of dread for the hero. One has to wonder, too if its ultra-violence and strong content ( very stylish BTW) has alot to do with keeping it off of lists like this one...

Perhaps in my case because this was the last for late action star Brandon Lee on such a promising career that was in front of him, I was sucked in completely...

edited October 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    This is a comic movie question:

Can someone please tell me the tune that plays at the beginning of Blade during the bloodbath scene? I think that it really set the tone for his introduction in this film and the fight sequence has to be one of the best ever.

Please help...

Nevermind. After abit of digging I found out that a group called The Warp Brothers did it. This tune isn't on the soundtrack and that's the reason why I didn't purchase the CD back in '98. I've liked this beat ever since I saw the Blade trailer in theatres years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqdqtz_6q_U

Now to download it for the listening to in the car. ;)

Anyone giving this movie a chance of actually taking off? This has been just talk for the longest...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448115/

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,281MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Anyone giving this movie a chance of actually taking off? This has been just talk for the longest...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448115/

After seeing your Captain Marvel vs. Superman clip in the Superman Returns thread, I was just about to post that I'd read a Captain Marvel movie was in very early stages of development. Last I'd heard, New Line Cinema owned the rights to it.

Truthfully Rogue, I have my doubts that a faithful version of Marvel can ever be made. At his core, Marvel is an adolescent child (Billy Batson) who inhabits the body of an adult and I just don't see that flying with mass audiences or even most movie studios. I've always liked the character (Jerry Ordway's The Power of SHAZAM is one of my all time favorite graphic novels) but he hasn't enjoyed strong mainstream popularity in decades and all the attempts I've been familiar with to give him his own ongoing series have failed.

In the end, if this gets made, I have a feeling it will either be turned into a kid-friendly lightweight movie full of Smallville-esque teen angst or be very different from the source material where the only elements retained are the costume and character names. They'll probably want to do what the old TV show did and make Billy much older and I think they'll try to make him more "hip" to modern audiences. I don't think he'll be saying things like "Holy Moley!" even though they're such a part of the character and I doubt we'll see a character who hears the voices of disembodied gods in his head guiding him.