The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Here's Marvel Studios Upcoming projects:

Marvel Studios' Upcoming Slate
    Source: Marvel Entertainment, Inc. November 6, 2006

Marvel Entertainment has released its Q3 2006 Earnings which includes an updated list of upcoming projects for Marvel Studios. We've left off the projects that have already been released:

Licensed Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2007
    Ghost Rider, Sony - In post-production, February 16, 2007 release
    Spider-Man 3, Sony - In production, May 4, 2007 release
    Fantastic Four 2, Fox - In production, June 15, 2007 release

Film Projects Being Developed by Marvel (Partial List)
    Iron Man, Marvel - Writer & director engaged, slated for May 2, 2008
    The Incredible Hulk, Marvel - Writer and director engaged, slated for June 27, 2008 release
    Ant-Man, Marvel - Writer and director engaged
    Captain America, Marvel - Writer engaged
    Nick Fury, Marvel - Writer engaged
    Thor, Marvel - Writer engaged
    The Avengers, Marvel - Writer engaged

Black Panther, Cloak & Dagger, Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Power Pack and Shang-Chi are other projects that may be developed by Marvel.

Personally from this list, I don't think that Hawkeye deserves his own movie; he's just a MCG copycat of DC's Green Arrow-who's better BTW. Perhaps it'll be in cartoon form... 8-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    I haven't heard of most of them. :D I love super hero films and I'll see any film as long as it is better than Tomb Rider and Fantastic Four. ;)

BTW, what do people think about the new Ghost Rider film? Or will I regret asking? {:)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,281MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Here's Marvel Studios Upcoming projects ...

... Personally from this list, I don't think that Hawkeye deserves his own movie; he's just a MCG copycat of DC's Green Arrow-who's better BTW. Perhaps it'll be in cartoon form... 8-)

Marvel has a history of going to the well once too often and driving a good thing into the ground. Comic book movies are very difficult to pull off and if not done right they'll look ridiculous. If they saturate the market with all these titles in a compressed time period they'll just burn audiences out on superheros. They're truly off their rockers if they think all these titles are viable film properties.

Also, just because they're commissioning scripts doesn't mean production is imminent; just ask Microsoft and Peter Jackson about their "can't miss" Halo script.
    edited November 2006
    Dan Same wrote:
    BTW, what do people think about the new Ghost Rider film? Or will I regret asking? {:)

I'm going in with low expectations. I'm not sold on Nic Cage for one; I was under the impression that Johnny Cage was a much younger character... 8-)

That being said, it may not be too bad and it would be nice if it's a sleeper hit.

edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I'm going in with low expectations. I'm not sold on Nic Cage for one; I was under the impression that Johnny Cage was a much younger character... 8-)

That being said, it may not be too bad and it would be nice if it's a sleeper hit.
    Okay, now that you didn't crucify me. ;) What are your thoughts on the comics?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

Johnny Cage?? Have you been playing Mortal Kombat on me? FINISH HIM !!! :))

The look of the Ghost Rider isn't bad and his bike looks pretty good, but Cage looks terrible as Johnny Blaze, especially with that lousy wig. Also, the fact that the film has been completed for some time and is being released in mid February is probably a sign that the studio doesn't have that much faith in its bankability.

I never followed the book all that much and I'm going in with low expectations as well. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    edited November 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    Johnny Cage?? Have you been playing Mortal Kombat on me? FINISH HIM !!! :))

:)) :)) :)) That's the laugh I needed. Thanks for correcting me. Y'see? Cage has me already screwed up to this. :))

edited December 2006
    Here's an article that might stir a little interest; it amazes me how some 2-3rd rate superheroes can pull off getting their own movie gig. I do like the character but I can't see this having legs as an ongoing...

=============================================================

Dauberman to Pen Deadman with del Toro
    Source: Variety December 4, 2006

Warner Bros. has hired newcomer Gary Dauberman to work with director-producer Guillermo del Toro in writing the script for the big screen adaptation of DC Comics' Deadman.

Variety reports the project is a potential directing vehicle for del Toro, who is producing with Angry Films' Don Murphy and Murphy's partner Susan Montford.

Deadman is the ghost of a murdered circus acrobat who has the power to possess the living in order to seek out his killer, as well as to help the innocent.

===========================================================

I wonder if they're going to mess with the costume? I always found it looked cool but I'm thinking in 70s mode on this one...

edited December 2006
    I hope that the sequel is a bit more climatic this time round but here's a look at the Fantasticar for FF2. Alba just looks good in anything she wears... *inserts drool smiley*

FANTASTICAR.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-11-29-fantasticar_x.htm

RogueAgent wrote:
    I hope that the sequel is a bit more climatic this time round but here's a look at the Fantasticar for FF2. Alba just looks good in anything she wears... *inserts drool smiley*

I'm liking the Fantasticar; I'll be curious to see how it fits into the plot.

The first FF movie was something of a surprise to me; I liked it a lot more than I thought I would; but it still could have been so much better. The characters were very well realized and their personalities and relationships rang true to the comics. The one exception was Doom; I like Julian McMahon but he completely failed to capture Doom's snobby self-importance (he never once even spoke in the 3rd person). The other problem with the movie was that nothing really happened until the very end, and even then Doom had no real motivation for the mayhem he caused other than petty jealousy.

As for Jessica Alba, she runs hot and cold for me. There are times when she looks really stunning; and at other times she looks positively meh. I'm liking the blond wig however.

As for Del Toro wanting to do Deadman, I think that's way too esoteric a character to garner any mass market appeal. Boston Brand never resonated with me on any level but I can see how somebody like Del Toro would gravitate towards that kind of a character. I wonder how he'll fit Ron Perlman into the story. :p
    TonyDP wrote:
    I wonder how he'll fit Ron Perlman into the story. :p

With his track record that's highly probable. :))

• Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    just seen the trailer for 300. looks good I'll have to check it out. Is it worth getting the graphic novels? also tried to watch the new TMNT trailer but MTV wont show it out side the U.S whats all that about grrrr
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Agent_M wrote:
    also tried to watch the new TMNT trailer but MTV wont show it out side the U.S whats all that about grrrr

I saw the TMNT trailer a couple of days ago. It seems that they're going the animated, videogame route with this one and they look considerably darker but the humour is still there.

Personally I've never really cared for them.

edited December 2006
    For anybody looking forward to Fantastic Four 2: The Rise of the Silver Surfer, here is the first official pic of the sentinel of the spaceways from USA Today by way of Aint It Cool News (there's also a brief description of the soon to be released teaser trailer). Quint is not impressed, but I kind of like it.

SilverSurferFF2.jpg

USA Today Link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-12-21-coming-attractions_x.htm

AICN Link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31057
    Is that an actual painting or a CGI shot? ?:)

RogueAgent wrote:

I think its being billed as an actual CGI shot; probably still an early version though. I'm not sure about Silver Surfer having eyes though; what do you think?
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I think its being billed as an actual CGI shot; probably still an early version though. I'm not sure about Silver Surfer having eyes though; what do you think?

I hope that it is just an early version because that wouldn't come across as believable in motion so to speak. I don't care for the Surfer having eyes though...

It would make for an awesome painting but I'm amped for the movie nonetheless- just a better climax this time round. ;)

I find it interesting that only one animated picture is on this list although Akira is quite impressive.

Last night I was watching Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker and it never fails to interest me; if it wasn't a straight to video property, it should be on this list as well.

Had an arguement with a couple of co-workers who said that Mask Of The Phantasm was a better all around Bats cartoon.

Anyone here prefer one or the other?

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Hate to tell you this, RA, but Mask of the Phantasm IS better. As much as I love Batman Beyond, which is a lot, possibly even more than BTAS, MotP is just a better movie with a more compelling story. ROTJ is just not as good as the regular TV episodes.
    Just to muddy the waters even more, I actually prefer Batman & Superman: World's Finest to either B:MOTP or BB:ROTJ.

MOTP was a little too melodramatic for me and I didn't care for how they changed the mythos by tying Batman's origin partly into his failed relationship. The Phantasm also proved to be a very weak villain at the end and they didn't even have the guts to resolve her story conclusively.

ROTJ was entertaining, but I didn't care for the fact that the Joker was actually only a microchip in Tim Drake's head. Quite a letdown to me after all the buildup.

B&S:WF on the other hand shows both heros at their peak, each working to their respective strengths, and learning to work together. It's like a buddy cop movie on steroids gone horribly wrong and has some great sequences and humor. There's also lots of clever little twists (Batman going after Luthor, Superman going after Joker, Lois falling for Bruce Wayne) It falls apart at the end a little (all three movies do, actually) but is still my favorite of the animated features.
    World's Finest was great. Possibly better than MotP but not sure.

My favorite part of any of those is in MotP when Bats ditches his cowl and cape to trick the cops and then gets away in her car without his mask on. It made my young self REALLY want a batman action figure with removable cape and cowl. LOL!
    World's Finest was great. Possibly better than MotP but not sure.

My favorite part of any of those is in MotP when Bats ditches his cowl and cape to trick the cops and then gets away in her car without his mask on. It made my young self REALLY want a batman action figure with removable cape and cowl. LOL!

I'm pretty sure that was lifted from Frank Miller's Batman: Year One.

There were a lot of nice moments in B&S:WF as well: Joker taking over in Metropolis ("all that Italian food, you'll get gas"), Batman "dropping in" on the nightclub and his subsequent confrontation with Superman and how he discovers Supes' secret identity, Batman "interrogating" Lex Luthor, Joker's explosive marbles, Batman & Superman snooping around Luthor's warehouses, and the final fight on Lex's plane ("Puddin!! ... Right now, he probably is"). I love that movie; they should make a live version.
    I wish I could find what I did with Batman:Year One. I lost it about a year ago I really wish I could find it.

What I'd like to see a movie about is The Long Halloween. Each character would shine in a movie. But you'd need a 7 foot tall man built like Ahnuld to play Bats, because in Long Halloween he is gigantic.
    edited January 2007
    I wish I could find what I did with Batman:Year One. I lost it about a year ago I really wish I could find it.

What I'd like to see a movie about is The Long Halloween. Each character would shine in a movie. But you'd need a 7 foot tall man built like Ahnuld to play Bats, because in Long Halloween he is gigantic.

Long Halloween had some good stories; if they ever made Batman into a TV show again (live or animated) they could do worse than adapt that into a season long story arc.

Let me know if you can't find B:YO; I'm pretty sure I still have my copy and I'd be glad to pass it along.
    edited January 2007
    The backstory sequence for ROTJ makes the movie for me; when I first saw this I was really moved at how Joker had scarred Robin. I like Tim Drake more than I ever liked Dick Grayson; I don't know why really...
    The microchip plot didn't bother me much because this is, afterall, supposed to be a futuristic, high-tech Batman anyway and I've never been a fan of Beyond to begin with.

I agree with Tony that MOTP was a bit too moody and had a soap opera feel to it. Clearly wasn't my favorite and how could I forget WF? Just a great flick. ;)

edited January 2007
    I recently saw (again) a trailer for Ghost Rider. Thinking about the trailer later on, I am now convinced that Ghost Rider is unlikely to be a good film. I'll probably go and see it (unless the reviews are terrible) but I'm not optimistic. :#

The reason for my lack of optimism is that the trailer looks rather cheesy, Cage has a really bad haircut ( :D) and, unless done well, the film could be a joke. I have seen the trailer before but it's only now that I am seeing the glass half empty. ;)
    I've never been much of a Nicholas Cage fan, and with that wig they gave him, he looks scarier than the Ghost Rider. :D

But you can never tell with these comics adaptations and it's never safe to go by the trailer; it can make a dull movie look action packed or make a good movie look positively boring.

Writer/Director Mark Steven Johnson also did Daredevil and, Ben Affleck nothwithstanding, I thought that was a pretty good film and quite faithful to the source material. If he brings the same passion and effort to Ghost Rider it should at least be a good popcorn flick.
    I'm on the fence somewhat with this picture; I mean as far as Steven Johnson's track record on comics movies is concerned, the jury's still out with me. Daredevil was such a subpar movie and came up short on so many levels.

I've still not forgiven them for putting Affleck in that horrendous, crimson, S&M costume 8-) . I much preferred something closer to the way they handled the Spider-man outfit...like in the comics.

Cage sucks to me-he always has and he's a bit gereatric to play the 20s-something Blaze.
    I'm a comics fan so I'm pretty compelled to check it out anyway. I might be pleasantly surprised...

edited January 2007
    Rogue, I've never been much of a Daredevil fan so I could be way off base but, taking Affleck and the questionable costume choices out of the equation for a second, wasn't Daredevil pretty faithful to the book, especially Frank Miller's run and the whole Bullseye / Death of Electra storyline? I thought it caught the beats of the characters pretty well based on what little I read but again I never really followed the book (maybe that's why I didn't have as many problems with the movie as others) so I could easily be wrong.

Can't argue with you about Cage though; he always looks and acts like he's in a coma or constipated or something.
    edited January 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Rogue, I've never been much of a Daredevil fan so I could be way off base but, taking Affleck and the questionable costume choices out of the equation for a second, wasn't Daredevil pretty faithful to the book, especially Frank Miller's run and the whole Bullseye / Death of Electra storyline? I thought it caught the beats of the characters pretty well based on what little I read but again I never really followed the book (maybe that's why I didn't have as many problems with the movie as others) so I could easily be wrong.

Can't argue with you about Cage though; he always looks and acts like he's in a coma or constipated or something.

Yeah, Tony it was pretty much a condensed, tweaked version of the story but still the end product just seemed pretty bland to me.

The final confrontation between DD & Kingpin was awfully short and hardly creative...