The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Speaking of Frank Miller, what's the general consensus on 300?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    Speaking of Frank Miller, what's the general consensus on 300?

You mean the graphic novel or the film?

The novel was a pretty good read but I don't know many who have read it.

I do know that he's going through the motions writing ALL-STAR: BATMAN...he sucks on that title. Positively terrible. :#
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    If you're not a fan, RA, send me your issues of All Star Batman. I picked up the first issue, and want to continue reading it, but I'm having a hard time finding issues.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    You mean the graphic novel or the film?

The novel was a pretty good read but I don't know many who have read it.

I do know that he's going through the motions writing ALL-STAR: BATMAN...he sucks on that title. Positively terrible. :#
    Yes, I did mean the novel. Thanks. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited February 2007
    Serenity's Joss Whedon No Longer To Do Wonder Woman Movie

This from his website:

February 03 2007
    SATIN TIGHTS NO LONGER. Joss will not be fighting for our rights after all.

You (hopefully) heard it here first: I'm no longer slated to make Wonder Woman. What? But how? My chest... so tight! Okay, stay calm and I'll explain as best I can. It's pretty complicated, so bear with me. I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked. Hey, not that complicated.

Let me stress first that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional. We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. Non-sympatico. It happens all the time. I don't think any of us expected it to this time, but it did. Everybody knows how long I was taking, what a struggle that script was, and though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk. I like to think it rolled around the rim a little bit, but others may have differing views.

The worst thing that can happen in this scenario is that the studio just keeps hammering out changes and the writer falls into a horrible limbo of development. These guys had the clarity and grace to skip that part. So I'm a free man.

Well, sorta. There is that "Goners" movie I can finally finish polishing, and plenty of other things in the hopper I've wanted to pursue. I'm as relieved as I am disappointed, and both of those things lead to drink, so that's a plus. Truly, you may be hearing some interesting things brewing in the coming months. But all potential jets therein will be visible.

But most importantly, I never have to answer THAT question again!!!! And you don't have to link to every rumor site! Finally and forever: I never had an actress picked out, or even a consistant front-runner. I didn't have time to waste on casting when I was so busy air-balling on the script. (No! Rim! There was rim!) That's the greatest relief of all. I can do interviews again!

Thanks for your time. You are the people who make the world go 'round. Or, no, science does that.

-j.

http://whedonesque.com/comments/12385#more

In a way I'm relieved that he won't. His choices for the "Lynda Carter" replacement weren't very Amazonian- looking IMO anyway...

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    I could never find a Joss Whedon project that I liked; I never cared for Buffy at all and I never understood the appeal of Serenity. As such, I can't say that I'm disappointed to see him leave the Wonder Woman movie.

Also, I have to say, I'm not really convinced that a Wonder Woman movie could even pull in the big box office that other superhero franchises have enjoyed. Her comic has never really flown off the shelves and she doesn't exactly have a strong rogues gallery of villains or memorable adventures to cull a story from.
    TonyDP wrote:
    I could never find a Joss Whedon project that I liked; I never cared for Buffy at all and I never understood the appeal of Serenity. As such, I can't say that I'm disappointed to see him leave the Wonder Woman movie.

Also, I have to say, I'm not really convinced that a Wonder Woman movie could even pull in the big box office that other superhero franchises have enjoyed. Her comic has never really flown off the shelves and she doesn't exactly have a strong rogues gallery of villains or memorable adventures to cull a story from.

In full agreement with you, Tony; despite some really good artists doing her justice in the monthly, she really isn't much of a draw. To be honest, most female superheroes don't prosper well on the big screen anyway; that wasn't to make an insult to the fact but it's sorta true.

With all due respect to Whedon, whose bought our books and is a nice guy, I could never get into his tv shows. I thought it was just me, Tony...you're the sci-fi fan. :))

edited February 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    In a way I'm relieved that he won't. His choices for the "Lynda Carter" replacement weren't very Amazonian- looking IMO anyway...
    Obviously it can't happen, but I think that Diana Rigg, back when she was doing The Avengers would have been perfect. :D
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Obviously it can't happen, but I think that Diana Rigg, back when she was doing The Avengers would have been perfect. :D

Whedon had Sarah Michelle Gellar on his short list... :s

Think I'm not relieved he stepped down?

edited February 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Whedon had Sarah Michelle Gellar on his short list... :s

Think I'm not relieved he stepped down?
    :)) She was fine as Buffy, but amazonian? :o BTW, what do you think about an Avengers-era Diana Rigg?

(Of today's candidates, this may be controversial, but I think that Kate Beckinsale could be a good Wonder Woman. :v)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    To paraphrase Captain Renault of Casablanca,"I'm shocked...shocked--I say, to learn of this turn of events!" It's not as if Whedon really truly wanted to do this anyway, but it's a great shame he took such a LONG time going through the motions and spinning his wheels.

I actually liked "Buffy" and I really liked "Angel",but I was never able to imagine Whedon being comfortable writing any characters that were not of his own creation.When it comes to comics he's always been a Marvel fan and his X-Men comic book is apparently a bestseller.He's just not the right guy to dramatize Wonder Woman.

Who is? I don't know,but I DO know that Warners grew weary of waiting for Whedon to deliver his screenplay because they went ahead and had another Wonder Woman screenplay commissioned and completed during Joss' period of inaction.

According to what I read yesterday on AOL,the alternate Wonder Woman screenplay is considerably truer to the original comic book's history in that unlike Whedon's attempted update with a teenaged WW in 2007,
    this one's set during World War II and WW's villains are Nazis.And WW's an adult.Sounds pretty good to me because that's always been Wonder Woman's best era.It also sounds more visual and dynamic along with being much easier to dramatize.

Wonder Woman's Rogue's Gallery doesn't match those of Batman or Dick Tracy,but it's extensive enough(as big as Superman's)--and clever writers can always add a few more bad guys of their own creation to the mix.Which-clever or not-they'll do anyway.

Whether this movie will even be made is another question altogether.

Warners has a script but do they really want a Wonder Woman movie?It's hard to say.Maybe.It's possible.A WW movie's certainly doable and without Whedon holding things up it can now happen.

I remember the Wonder Woman film was announced by Joel Silver but I'm not so sure he was even aware of how convoluted a character Wonder Woman has become.I doubt he knows any more about the character than what he might've seen on TV.That he originally wanted Sandra Bullock to play the Amazon tells me he didn't research this character at all.He probably just wants to be associated with a comic book movie.

But with the newer screenplay and with a beautiful young woman cast as the Amazon, there's at least a fighting chance that a WW movie would be no worse--possibly better--that the pilot film for the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman TV series(which I thought was pretty good,everything being equal).It might even be successful, as opposed to being DOA before a frame of film was even shot, like that terrible Catwoman movie.

Any hope for success lies in the casting and the storyline.Finding the right actress to play Wonder Woman will be imperative--we have to immediately believe that the actress in the role IS Wonder Woman,not just a cute girl in the WW costume.I know that Charisma Carpenter has said that she'd like to play this part.She's pretty and she's talented and would look great in the abbreviated WW costume.But there are many other beautiful less well known actresses who could also do justice to the role.We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I loved 'Buffy.' I thought it was one of the smartest shows around. I had a feeling something was up with 'Wonder Woman,' it was taking so long to get anywhere. I hope Joel Silver chooses a decent replacement for Whedon. He's a savvy guy and should be bright enough to know not to hire Brett Ratner. As for WW, Charisma Carpenter's done some time on 'Veronica Mars,' which Silver produces so maybe she's in with a chance. Or he could at least make her wear the costume, you know, just for those who might be interested in seeing her wear it. :)
    edited February 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    As for WW, Charisma Carpenter's done some time on 'Veronica Mars,' which Silver produces so maybe she's in with a chance. Or he could at least make her wear the costume, you know, just for those who might be interested in seeing her wear it. :)

Yes...the possibilities are certainly there... :D

Charisma-Carpenter-04.jpg

She doesn't have Carter's "stacked" appeal but nothing a good workout couldn't fix.

edited February 2007
    Charisma Carpenter is indeed very sexy. The thing is, however, I'm not sure that she looks like she can truly kick butt. Nonetheless, Rogue may be right; a good workout could take care of that.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    With all due respect to Whedon, whose bought our books and is a nice guy, I could never get into his tv shows. I thought it was just me, Tony...you're the sci-fi fan. :))
    I'm going to have to disagree with both of you on this. :v I really like Whedon. I very much enjoyed Buffy while Angel is one of my all-time favourite shows.

The other thing about Whedon is that he likes the same kind of woman as me. :D
    Dan Same wrote:
    The other thing about Wheadon is that he likes the same kind of woman as me. :D

What? Blonde and "third world" thin? :D

Whomever plays WW at least should look "healthy" because I've always envisioned her as such...Having a permanent tan wouldn't hurt either like Caterina Murino- well that last part is just my fetish... :D

edited February 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    No, more like strong, intelligent and beautiful. ;)
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    No, more like strong, intelligent and beautiful. ;)

okay...fair enough...but his picks are hardly WW material. Too "petite".

If he had gotten his way and used Gellar, not only would she need an extensive workout but at least a six month binge on cheeseburgers. :D

I guess my problem with all the names being bandied about to play WW is that they don't convey that combination of strength and innocence that I always associated with the character. I always thought of Wonder Woman as having a certain naiveness and wholesomeness to her, despite her imposing physical abilities and attributes. Lynda Carter was able to convey those qualities in spades and still be irresistably sexy. Don't see it with any of the new breed although I do like the idea of a Wonder Woman movie being a period piece being set during WWII; as WG says, that was when the character was at her strongest.

Still, at the end of the day this project is definitely jammed in development hell and I have a feeling it'll be a while before we see any real forward movement.
    Oh...those fun days of puberty...I woke up to this poster on my wall everyday... :D

carterww.jpg

In a sick roundabout way, I think she still looks stunning. ;%

RogueAgent wrote:
    Oh...those fun days of puberty...I woke up to this poster on my wall everyday... :D

carterww.jpg

Why sick? ?:) She's awesome. :D
    Well my kid thought that it was gross to say after I complimented her from watching SKY HIGH one night, Dan. :))

edited February 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Why sick? ?:) She's awesome. :D

Nothing sick about it; she looked great in Sky High and she IS still stunning. I'd pick her over Sarah Michelle Gellar, Charisma Carpenter, Sanrda Bullock, or any of the other would be Wonder Women any day.
    Lynda's absolutely gorgeous and always will be.There's no argument that her casting as Wonder Woman was as important to the series' success as Christopher Reeve's casting was for the Superman movies.I think the only season of Wonder Woman that really worked was the first one,which was set during WW II.Everytime the character is updated she tends to become a mere shadow of herself.One update that kind of worked was when a desperate DC Comics decided to have WW renounce her abilities and become a secret agent.This was at the close of Bondmania(late 1960s).She wore a jumpsuit like Diana Rigg did as Mrs.Peel and used the martial arts.This iteration of the comic book was renamed Diana Prince-Wonder Woman,An interesting experiment.George Perez and Phil Jimenez played up WW's Greco-Roman background and made her an ambassador from her island to the USA in the 21st century(her lookalike mother,the Queen of the Amazons having been the famous Wonder Woman of WW II).This'd be extremely difficult to dramatize.
    One update that kind of worked was when a desperate DC Comics decided to have WW renounce her abilities and become a secret agent.This was at the close of Bondmania(late 1960s).She wore a jumpsuit like Diana Rigg did as Mrs.Peel and used the martial arts.This iteration of the comic book was renamed Diana Prince-Wonder Woman,An interesting experiment.

I blame Denny O'Neill for that. I remember getting those back issues as a kid and hating them... X-(

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    edited February 2007
    Age cannot wither, nor custom stale Lynda Carter. Here's a recent pic of her:

[img=http://www.filmmonthly.com/Profiles/Articles/LyndaCarter/Carter.gif]Maybe a bit matronly now, but still beautiful, and you just can't beat those gorgeous eyes! Whoever plays WW in the movie will have a hard time displacing Lynda in my mind. But this could be my bias toward 1970s sex symbols talking: so many of the women touted as hot today look like little girls in comparison to Lynda Carter, Loni Anderson, and Jacklyn Smith at their peak. The original Charlie's Angels all looked like they'd done some living; the ones in the movie, however, looked like they were fresh from the sorority house. Anyway, back on to a WW movie--I think one could work, and I don't believe audiences would reject it just because it's about a female superhero or because WW isn't as popular as she was back in the 1940s. Superhero movies are big business now, with even second-tier characters like Daredevil and Ghost Rider getting their own flicks. Unlike either of those guys, however, Wonder Woman is a truly iconic character--right up there with Supes, Bats, and Spidey--and I think her name and image alone are enough to generate interest.[/img]
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited February 2007
    Yes Rogue,that was Denny O'Neil's handiwork.They weren't great stories but they did feature Mike Sekowsky's distinctive artwork,which I like.It was an obvious attempt to turn WW into something like The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. or Emma Peel.At the time,the Wonder Woman book had lost direction and DC was trying everything it could to keep WW in print.It was a drastic change from what had come before.This run probably influenced the less than impressive first WW TV pilot that starred Cathy Lee Crosby as the blonde spy named Diana Prince.

Happily,producer Douglas Cramer realized that the only way to really dramatize Wonder Woman with any hope of success was to go back to basics,and not ignore the original version of WW:complete to her Amazon origin,unique costume and WWII background.And equally importantly get a woman who LOOKS like WW to play her--which he did with Lynda Carter.Much as I like Lynda,I thought the series lost it's way once it was updated to current times.It became yet another iteraton of the "Wonder Woman-as-spy" thing that hadn't succeeded in either the comics or the first pilot.I've always believed that Wonder Woman works best as a period piece.The 1940s are her era.

And like Hardyboy, I also think a successful WW film can happen again.It'll be a creative challenge perhaps--but not impossible at all.There are plenty of beautiful young actresses who'd probably do a great job as WW if only given the chance--especially if they were aided by an intelligent and entertaining screenplay that's respectful to it's source material in a production intent on making the very best Wonder Woman movie possible.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Well my kid thought that it was gross to say after I complimented her from watching SKY HIGH one night, Dan. :))
    You really need to have a talk with your son then. He should be informed as to what a beautiful woman really looks like (other than his mother of course.) :D
    Yes Rogue,that was Denny O'Neil's handiwork.They weren't great stories but they did feature Mike Sekowsky's distinctive artwork,which I like.It was an obvious attempt to turn WW into something like The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. or Emma Peel.At the time,the Wonder Woman book had lost direction and DC was trying everything it could to keep WW in print.It was a drastic change from what had come before.This run probably influenced the less than impressive first WW TV pilot that starred Cathy Lee Crosby as the blonde spy named Diana Prince.

I remember that period. Like Rogue, I can't say I cared much for that creative decision and I thought Denny O'Neil seemed a little out of place. I'm especially thankful that he didn't ruin WW back then by succumbing to his frequent habit of turning leading characters into paraplegics.
    Happily,producer Douglas Cramer realized that the only way to really dramatize Wonder Woman with any hope of success was to go back to basics,and not ignore the original version of WW:complete to her Amazon origin,unique costume and WWII background.And equally importantly get a woman who LOOKS like WW to play her--which he did with Lynda Carter.Much as I like Lynda,I thought the series lost it's way once it was updated to current times.It became yet another iteraton of the "Wonder Woman-as-spy" thing that hadn't succeeded in either the comics or the first pilot.I've always believed that Wonder Woman works best as a period piece.The 1940s are her era.

That first season was definitely the high point of the series, especially as it really captured WW's innocent naivetee. The appearances of Wonder Girl were a lot of fun and the two parter with the Nazis (led by John Saxon, no less) invade Paradise Island was a great capper to the season.

I'm sure updating the series to modern times was mandated by the network (in fact I recall that WW switched networks after that first season) but the stories were uniformly pedestrian and juvenile. The one notable exception was a story where WW and Steve Trevor stumble upon a bunch of Nazis who plan to revive Hitler via cloning or cryogenic suspension (can't remember the exact details). I do remember that the episode was quite dark relative to the rest of the show, Steve Trevor actually got to contribute, and Hitler was actually killed on screen. Overall, quite daring for a 70's family show.
    And like Hardyboy, I also think a successful WW film can happen again.It'll be a creative challenge perhaps--but not impossible at all.There are plenty of beautiful young actresses who'd probably do a great job as WW if only given the chance--especially if they were aided by an intelligent and entertaining screenplay that's respectful to it's source material in a production intent on making the very best Wonder Woman movie possible.

In large measure it comes back to who is going to play WW, and while I'm not up on the talent pool everybody I can think of comes up lacking to Lynda Carter in some category. If you airbrushed all her tatoos away, Angelina Jolie might be a good physical choice but I think she brings too much baggage to her movies these days. Regardless of who is cast, I'd love to see Lynda Carter play WW's mother.
    edited February 2007
    TonyDP wrote:

I remember that period. Like Rogue, I can't say I cared much for that creative decision and I thought Denny O'Neil seemed a little out of place. I'm especially thankful that he didn't ruin WW back then by succumbing to his frequent habit of turning leading characters into paraplegics.

That first season was definitely the high point of the series, especially as it really captured WW's innocent naivetee. The appearances of Wonder Girl were a lot of fun and the two parter with the Nazis (led by John Saxon, no less) invade Paradise Island was a great capper to the season.

I'm sure updating the series to modern times was mandated by the network (in fact I recall that WW switched networks after that first season) but the stories were uniformly pedestrian and juvenile. The one notable exception was a story where WW and Steve Trevor stumble upon a bunch of Nazis who plan to revive Hitler via cloning or cryogenic suspension (can't remember the exact details). I do remember that the episode was quite dark relative to the rest of the show, Steve Trevor actually got to contribute, and Hitler was actually killed on screen. Overall, quite daring for a 70's family show.

In large measure it comes back to who is going to play WW, and while I'm not up on the talent pool everybody I can think of comes up lacking to Lynda Carter in some category. If you airbrushed all her tatoos away, Angelina Jolie might be a good physical choice but I think she brings too much baggage to her movies these days. Regardless of who is cast, I'd love to see Lynda Carter play WW's mother.

The change in eras probably was a network demand--they probably used the kind of logic that said,"The Bionic Woman" is popular and IT'S set in the present day so WW should be, too.

Also,I remember seeing Lynda interviewed about this change in eras and she was thrilled, because she was now going to wear modern clothing and even get to sing.And as Diana Prince,she wouldn't be wearing glasses as frequently as before.As Diana, she even competed in a beauty contest-in a bathing suit.Of course no one noticed just how much Diana Prince resembled Wonder Woman.:o

In all honesty,I'd prefer to see someone who is less well known than Angelina Jolie in this role.Angie's attractive,and I like her but I agree that she's much too familiar and having once played Lara Croft probably would be uninterested in playing a character that's even more fantastic.She's now a "serious" actress.Plus she's small and quite thin now.She'd be a good villainess,however.

So just for laughs,a few candidates for WW who have something resembling an established names.One possibilty--Victoria Pratt.Yes,she's a blonde, but she can always darken her hair via dye or wig.Pratt's an actress(TV and movies), a figure model and a martial arts champion.Of course, I don't know if she'd even be interested in playing this character but you never know...

If she were 10 years younger,I think Natasha Henstridge would be good casting as WW.She's tall,attractive and physically fit.Another blonde,she could darken her hair.Good actress too-in my opinion,anyway-check her out in Species and in "She Spies".

Then there's Monica Bellucci.If she was 25--even 30-- again,she'd be perfect.Her English is excellent and she'd bring a believable Mediterranean look and flavor to the (supposedly) Greek warrior princess.

I've read that Victoria Silvstedt is now quite the actress in Europe.Dye her hair black (or give her a black wig)
    and put her in the WW costume and she'd look sensational.I've even seen her act and I thought she was pretty good.Granted, it was in an episode of "Son of the Beach", but hey...

And Whedon wanted Cobie Smulders("Robin" on the TV series "How I Met Your Mother")to play WW.Not statuesque perhaps, but IMO not a bad choice either,certainly very pretty.

All that said,I'm convinced the Wonder Woman film would work better with a beautiful actress who isn't particularly well known to the general public playing the title role.Someone who,like Lynda Carter before her,can become Wonder Woman in the eyes of the public--as opposed to being an already famous face giving her interpretation of Wonder Woman.I think the odds alone say that such an actress exists-- considering the sheer number of actresses in California alone,not to mention the rest of the USA or Europe.

She's out there somewhere.;)

And agreed--it'd be great to see Lynda Carter play the Queen of the Amazons in a new Wonder Woman movie.She's even said she'd like to do this--hopefully it'll happen.

By the way,the Jennison/Strickland Wonder Woman screenplay that Warners ultimately favored over Whedon's version,is reviewed on Latino Review.It's Wonder Woman's origin story from the Golden Age and I think it sounds like it'd make a terrific motion picture.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Not to turn this thread into Izzy Stuff II, but of all the names being bandied about for Wonder Woman, the one I think makes the most sense is Bones star Emily Deschanel. She's mature (30), reasonably tall (5'9"), no stranger to action, and blessed with incredible eyes to rival Lynda Carter's. And she ain't too hard to look at, either:

BS_Deschanel_366.jpg
    Vox clamantis in deserto