The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Apparently, 300 opened up to some impressive numbers- it surpassed far from what I predicted yet from talking to others,who have seen it, it was hardly worth it.

Here's the top 5 at the box office this weekend:

300 WB $70,025,000 - 3,103 - $22,566 $70,025,000 $65 1

2 1 Wild Hogs BV $28,021,000 -29.4% 3,296 +9 $8,501 $77,437,000 - 2

3 4 Bridge to Terabithia BV $6,865,000 -22.9% 3,210 +51 $2,138 $67,020,000 - 4

4 3 Ghost Rider Sony $6,800,000 -41.1% 3,347 -261 $2,031 $104,142,000 $110 4

5 2 Zodiac Par. $6,773,000 -49.4% 2,379 +17 $2,846 $23,727,000 $65 2
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Whether these are good moves or not remains to be seen. From Superherphype.com:

Changes at Marvel
    Maisel, Feige upped as Helfant exits
    By STEVEN ZEITCHIK

Marvel Studio has tapped David Maisel as studio chairman, with Kevin Feige becoming the top creative exec in the wake of prexy-COO Michael Helfant's exit.
    Maisel, who had been vice chairman, continues to occupy the office of the chief executive for Marvel Entertainment with Isaac Perlmutter and John Turitzin.

Feige continues as production prexy and will more directly supervise creative aspects of Marvel's TV, homevid and vidgame efforts. Feige also is a producer on upcoming releases "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk."

The company also has made a number of key hires, including bringing aboard Regency marketing VP Michael Brown as senior veep of marketing.

Brown has overseen marketing for New Regency releases such as "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "Unfaithful."

Moves mark the official end of an era for former topper Avi Arad, who had stayed on as a creative adviser after he left last spring. He is now a full-fledged producer and was not named in the company's release.

In fact, Helfant's hire with some fanfare in late 2005 had been seen as a sign the company wanted more studio expertise and signaled the beginning of the end for Arad.

Helfant, who had done tours of duty at Dimension and Beacon Pictures, is leaving to pursue other opportunities, Marvel said.

Studio goes into production this week on "Iron Man," the Jon Favreau-directed superhero movie that's set for release in 2008. "Hulk" is also set for a 2008 release.

Several people involved on Marvel-licensed pics have also joined the studio, including producer Ross Fanger ("X-Men") and post-production exec Charlie Davis ("X-Men," "Fantastic Four") as exec veep of physical production and senior veep of post-production, respectively.

Marvel Studios has also hired former Technicolor exec Tim Connors as exec veep of business affairs and operations; Disney vets Rod Smith and Elizabeth Lynch as senior veep of production finance and veep of legal affairs, respectively; and Jean-Claude Boursiquot as director of IT and studio technology.

Studio also promoted Matt Finick to senior veep of studio finance and corporate development; Eric Rollman to executive VP, animation and TV; Ames Kirschen to senior veep and executive producer, videogames; Craig Kyle to senior vice prez, animation; Jeremy Latcham to veep, development and production; Stephen Broussard to creative executive; and Joshua Fine to story editor, animation.

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,286MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    The last time Marvel tried to branch out into other businesses they dumped Previews and bought Toy Biz and some other collectibles companies in an attempt to get a bigger share of the licensing market. They ended up going bankrupt and had to file for reorganization under Chapter 7.

Hopefully, they have their act together a little better this time.
    Was ToyBiz over the 8 inch classic hero figures that came in the book-looking box too? You know the ones; they had actual cloth clothing.

I remember buying my son the lot of those when he was two or three.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Was ToyBiz over the 8 inch classic hero figures that came in the book-looking box too? You know the ones; they had actual cloth clothing.

I remember buying my son the lot of those when he was two or three.

I think so; they had the Marvel license for a long time and tried many different angles including cloth costumes. Their line of Iron Man armors were my favorites - they must have done over 20 different versions from throughout the history of the comics. They even gave the plastic a metallic finish. Pretty well done for the time.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Aren't those Megos?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Aren't those Megos?

No. . .Mego was kaput by the early 1980s. I had most of the figures, and though I didn't have Iron Man he had a cloth costume.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    All I know is that these particular Marvel figures were molded in the classic 60s-70s look and they came in black boxes with a design of an old comic cover somewhere on it. I remember buying Mr. Sinester, Thor, Iron Man(removable mask), Captain America and a couple of others. So as Tony said it could have been ToyBiz; I thought they were cool.

Megos were when I was in school and the figures weren't as articulated if I recall.

I would love to see Marvel manufacture those Classics again but I'm sure if they do, it'll more than likely tie in to whatever movie they'll produce...

Dan Same wrote:
    Two things:
    1)I read the following in a newspaper article.
    In an upcoming issue Captain America gets killed.
    What do you think about that?

This is still pretty much vague, Dan. It's all a money thing anyway. Over the past few days I've been told that he may not be dead afterall and that this was a way to get readers attention on the character after his current mag had been slacking off in sales lately...hence why everyone was caught off guard.
    2)In the same article, it mentioned that Marvel owned Superman. I thought DC owned Superman. ?:)

Apparently someone at your local paper has their info wrong or they're high; perhaps someone else knows the answer to this because as far as I'm concerned, he's always been DC. Can you provide a link?

edited March 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    This is still pretty much vague, Dan. It's all a money thing anyway. Over the past few days I've been told that he may not be dead afterall and that this was a way to get readers attention on the character after his current mag had been slacking off in sales lately...hence why everyone was caught off guard.

Don't know if it's part of regular continuity or a "what if" type story, but I also read that Marvel is doing a book or series of books where their superheros come back as flesh eating zombies. I'm not making this one up - I think it ties into Army of Darkness somehow. Artwork is below. Too bad the zombies don't hunt down and eat chief editor Joe Quesada. Oh Marvel, how could you fall so far?

zombiesaod2ccg4.jpg
    RogueAgent wrote:
    All I know is that these particular Marvel figures were molded in the classic 60s-70s look and they came in black boxes with a design of an old comic cover somewhere on it. I remember buying Mr. Sinester, Thor, Iron Man(removable mask), Captain America and a couple of others. So as Tony said it could have been ToyBiz; I thought they were cool.

Megos were when I was in school and the figures weren't as articulated if I recall.

I would love to see Marvel manufacture those Classics again but I'm sure if they do, it'll more than likely tie in to whatever movie they'll produce...

I did a quick google search and came up with this one. Pretty sure this is along the lines of what you had Rogue. If yes, then these were indeed Toy Biz. I had a few of these myself but I think they're long gone now. The do seem to fetch a pretty penny on eBay these days.

MCFC01771f.jpg
    TonyDP wrote:
    I did a quick google search and came up with this one. Pretty sure this is along the lines of what you had Rogue. If yes, then these were indeed Toy Biz. I had a few of these myself but I think they're long gone now. The do seem to fetch a pretty penny on eBay these days.

Those are the ones, Tony. I remember getting these for about 5 bucks each and if I had any common sense, perhaps I should've gotten two of each seeing that they bring in a decent dollar on return.

I was too excited to find the Superman Returns thread to post this. If WB has any sense at all then they will move forward with another director before it's too late!

From SH.com:

Singer Thriller to Delay Superman Sequel
    Source: Variety March 14, 2007

Variety reports that Bryan Singer will reteam with his The Usual Suspects screenwriter Chris McQuarrie on an original thriller for United Artists toppers Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner. The movie is expected to push the Superman Returns follow-up back:

The film will delay Warner Bros.' hope of mounting a sequel to "Superman Returns" in the near future. Singer's Bad Hat Harry banner has an overall deal at WB, where he is developing several films that include that sequel and the Harvey Milk biopic "The Mayor of Castro Street." He also is directing "Football Wives," a series pilot for ABC and ABC TV Studio. The new project begins production this summer.

Trust me, there will be no delay. In a month or two WB will announce that even though they absolutely love Singer, they really don't want to wait and have decided to do Superman Returns Again, or whatever they decide to call it, without him. This is just a preliminary move so that both parties can withdraw from their agreement while still saving face. Let the official "Who will direct the next Superman movie" speculation begin. My money is on Brett Rattner. He made the Fox tons of money with X-Men 3, he was attached to Superman at one point and I'm sure would love to revisit that property, and I think he can deliver the slam bang action film that the studio really wants.
    edited March 2007
    Tony, you have NO IDEA how much I want your statement to be true! I'm very passionate about not wanting him to return.

Get someone like Quentin Tarrantino who has the nerve to kill the kid Pulp Fiction style! I don't care if Samuel Jackson & John Travolta work for Mongul; just clean this mess up fast! :))

"Do you read the bible, Jason?"

58350.jpg

GET LOST SINGER!!!!!!!

edited March 2007
    Dear God, not Quentin Tarantino. I HATE that idiot with a passion that defies words and would probably hunt him down and kill him with my bare hands if he got the job. Clark Kent spewing inane pop culture quotes? Lois Lane doing lines in the bathroom? Mongul telling us what they call a Quarter Pounder on War World? No thanks Rogue, not in a million years. I'd rather watch Superman III. I'd rather watch Batman & Robin. I'd rather have Singer back. 8-)
    edited March 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Dear God, not Quentin Tarantino. I HATE that idiot with a passion that defies words and would probably hunt him down and kill him with my bare hands if he got the job. Clark Kent spewing inane pop culture quotes? Lois Lane doing lines in the bathroom? Mongul telling us what they call a Quarter Pounder on War World? No thanks Rogue, not in a million years. I'd rather watch Superman III. I'd rather watch Batman & Robin. I'd rather have Singer back. 8-)

Well really it was taking a light-hearted approach to the situation, Tony. I don't wan't QT in the vicinity of Superman but my hate for the current incantation makes me believe it seriously needs...a cleansing.

Rattner would make a great choice for a replacement IMO; I wouldn't mind if Cameron got off of his Titanic high-horse and tried to give it a go. I want someone credible to inject some testosterone and return some stability back to Supes cinematically.

SR will skip HBO, STARZ & Showtime and go straight to the Bravo channel. It's that soft.

edited March 2007
    OK, I feel better now. Just be careful with Tarantino when I'm around. I really don't like that guy.

Still, I really think Singer and Superman are no longer an item. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd pitched his story to WB and they'd nixed it, causing him to go somewhere else.

Here's another reason I think Singer's gone: his next project after Superman was supposed to be a remake of Logan's Run for WB; he'd been planning it for years. That movie has now been shelved indefinitely and instead Singer is heading over to MGM to do a much smaller movie. That tells me WB lost faith in him; he's history as far as Supes and WB is concerned. And if he's gone, all bets are off as to where the next Superman film will go. They may very well dump everybody and reboot it as well. I'd hate to see Routh get the boot as he was not to blame for SR's ills but it wouldn't surprise me if their way of dealing with Jason, Lois and all the rest of it is to chuck it all and act as if the last one never happened.
    I'm jumping up and down in my seat as I read that, Tony and you make some good points with your "connect-the-dots" theory.

I've noticed on IMDB.com that Routh's film credits don't list him as having a follow-up to SR; that IMO, is a shame because I don't blame him for this mess. I'd love to have him back with a more classic-looking costume(axnay the shower curtain).

He's not Reeve but he comes close enough for me. ;)

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I finally saw the much maligned X-Men 3: The Last Stand and I thought it was a lot of fun. This film got savaged on AIC, where they have something agaisnt Ratner, but he is a director who will throw everything at the screen for the sake of an entertaining show. My only gripes would be the underused Cyclops (who is my favourite in the comics) and Vinnie Jones. Why they cast him as Juggernaut with that hokey body-suit is anybody's guess.
    Admittedly, I was one of those who said "Daniel Craig as Bond? No way!" at the end of 2006, and I ate my words; but Jake Gyllenhaal as Captain Marvel? NO ____ING WAY! I'll take The Rock. I'll even say I'm serious about my half-joking suggestion of Rob Riggle. I'll take an unknown they pulled out of the gym. But Gyllenhaal? He's about as close to Captain Marvel as Nicolas Cage was to Superman. Someone tell me this is a nightmare!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited March 2007
    ...I don't know...I think I can envision Gyllenhall as Capt. Marvel. He has the physical presence, and is more than capable of radiating he kind of positive energy I would think such a role requires.

I admit, though, that I've never been a huge devotee of this particular character---always much more into the traditional DC and Marvel characters; my biggest exposure to Capt. Marvel was the Shazam! TV show on Saturday mornings in the early-mid '70's...Billy Batson in a Winnebago with Les Tremayne...anybody remember that one?
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I finally saw the much maligned X-Men 3: The Last Stand and I thought it was a lot of fun. This film got savaged on AIC, where they have something agaisnt Ratner, but he is a director who will throw everything at the screen for the sake of an entertaining show. My only gripes would be the underused Cyclops (who is my favourite in the comics) and Vinnie Jones. Why they cast him as Juggernaut with that hokey body-suit is anybody's guess.

I remember reading Harry Knowle's profanity laced review on AICN and marvelling at his list of criticisms. He was basically hoping for a verbatim rendition of the Dark Phoenix saga - something that is pretty well impossible to film and realize in a two hour movie. He also seemed to have it in for Fox studio head Tom Rothman, savaging him as much as the movie - why I have no idea. Of course in the end Rattner and Rothman laughed all the way to the bank and Knowles was left looking like the geeky fanboy he is.

I enjoyed X3 quite a bit. Cyclops was underused and Vinny Jones made for such a great Juggernaut (despite the suit) that I was disappointed we didn't see more of him as well. If you have the DVD, be sure to check out the deleted scenes as there are some nice bits there.

I've said it many times but it bears repeating: Rattner knows how to deliver an entertaining movie. X3 was fun and his Red Dragon was my favorite Hannibal movie. I'd welcome seeing what he could do with Superman or some other comics property.
    ...I don't know...I think I can envision Gyllenhall as Capt. Marvel. He has the physical presence, and is more than capable of radiating he kind of positive energy I would think such a role requires.

Gyllenhal wouldn't be my first choice either and I wonder how much of this rumor is due to the fact that he once almost got the Spiderman role and Maggie Gyllenhal is now attached to Batman. Definitely doesn't appear to have the imposing physique but I'm sure he could pack on some muscle for the role.

I admit, though, that I've never been a huge devotee of this particular character---always much more into the traditional DC and Marvel characters; my biggest exposure to Capt. Marvel was the Shazam! TV show on Saturday mornings in the early-mid '70's...Billy Batson in a Winnebago with Les Tremayne...anybody remember that one?

Watched it faithfully, although in hindsight it was so tame. I don't think Captain Marvel ever even threw a punch. So were you a Jackson Bostwick fan or a John Davey kind of guy. :))

Even better was Isis starring the beautiful Joanna Cameron ( :x :x :x ) - I think she even did a crossover show with Marvel once; they teamed up to stop a tornado or something like that.
    I remember the Saturday morning TV show, and even at the time I thought it was a lesser thing compared to the comic book. I was a kid at the time, and to me Billy Batson looked like an adult; and I always wanted to see a good villain like Sivana causing real trouble instead of the morality plays they delivered. And Joanna Cameron as Isis--I was too young to appreciate her at the time, but, now, mmmmMMMBOY!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    TonyDP wrote:
    Even better was Isis starring the beautiful Joanna Cameron ( :x :x :x ) - I think she even did a crossover show with Marvel once; they teamed up to stop a tornado or something like that.

Wow! Now there's a blast from the past! I had completely forgotten about that show! Like HB, I was a tad too young to fully appreciate what I was looking at.

Couldn't resist so I revisited it on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuIjJBYOUPM
    edited March 2007
    I'm kind of with HB on this; Jake as Shazam is just hard to picture. Although the actor's listed at 6' tall, the character Capt. Marvel IMO, is as physically strapping and imposing as Superman is - just quirkier.
    Jake would have to binge on burgers and fries about as much as hitting the weight room. Let's not forget CM's classic yesteryear hair style which for once I'd love someone playing him would sport. Really not even my fourth choice for the role if this rumor holds any weight.

This part had Patrick Warburton's name written all over it...too bad it's 10-12 years too late.

TonyDP wrote:
    Watched it faithfully, although in hindsight it was so tame. I don't think Captain Marvel ever even threw a punch. So were you a Jackson Bostwick fan or a John Davey kind of guy. :))

Well I for one, was a Bostwick fan; Davey was a little too "fluffy" for lack of a better word.:D

Still watched the show religously though.

I had the pleasure of sitting across from Jackson Bostwick at a comic convention a couple of years ago. Believe it or not, the guy looked like he hadn't aged much since the 70s.

I got to know him over the three day span of the event and he's a great guy. Last day of the con he gave me this parting gift:

Shazamauto.jpg

As to an earlier discussion, this from IMDB.com:

Superman Promises More Action Next Time Around

Brandon Routh, the actor who played Superman in last year's franchise revival Superman Returns, has indicated that the producers of the next sequel were sensitive to audience and critical complaints that the film lacked sufficient action sequences. In an interview with the online edition of Britain's Empire magazine, Routh said that the last man-of-steel movie was formulated so that it would show Superman's love for Lois Lane and villain Rex Luthor using that against him. "I just know that in the next film there will be a lot of action and I'm gonna get to fight something, or someone. An enemy with real physical power might be worked in there, definitely." Routh provided no details, saying only that the sequel was about to begin pre-production "so there's a lot of ideas in the air and a lot of discussion about what's going to happen with it. I promise a lot of excitement."

Hmmm...didn't even bring up Singer... :v

With Regard to the Bostwick vs. Davey thing, I preferred Bostwick as well; he actually looked somewhat like the comic book character to my eyes and also had the physique for the part.

As for Routh, I read that last story night as well; from what he says it looks as if the movie is already in the very early stages of preproduction. I don't know if he was being hopelessly optimistic or if work has really started. But as X3 showed, a new director can be brought in relatively quickly, especially if the story is already being developed by others, and you can still have a well made and entertaining movie. I'll be very curious to see how this plays out.