Non appealing Bond girls

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Helga Brandt was the middle step in the transition from Fiona Volpe to Irma Bundt. With Jill St. John they finally got back to a good looking redhead!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    ... I love Helga...she is someone who is...beautiful. I just remember that IMO she is extremely sexy. :D
    You must give me the name of your oculist. :p ;)
    I'll PM it to you. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Just scanning peoples suggestions it surprised me how many I agreed with (Rosie Carver, May Day, Halle Berry)

For me however it's a photo finish between Halle Berry and (this is going to be Heresy with so many CR fans here) Eva Green. I loved the dialouge, the outfits and to some degree the character, but I found Eva irritating and ungainly. She just did not strike me as a Bond leading lady. She was cast at the very last minute (filming had started) and always struck me as a compromise.
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    Talisa Soto not appealing?!?! Halle Berry not appealing?? While Eva Green would be?? I swear I will never understand men :)) :))

zaphod, while I disagree about Halle Berry, I surely agree about Eva Green. Except I absolutely disliked the style and character as well. :)) :)) Cavalli designs, not surprising.. I didn't know, I found out discussing with the girls in the Bond girl watercooler thread and that explains a lot. Nouveau riche style, plus the vulgarity (that's what Cavalli is), no wonder I didn't like it! And Eva Green surely did nothing to improve matters for me, sorry.

I think Talisa Soto and Halle Berry were two of the most appealing Bond girls. My favourites will always be Ursula Andress and Carey Lowell, but still...

I really liked GoldenEye but I agree Izabella Scorupco wasn't an ideal choice. Mostly I guess because of the way they dressed her and the way the character was built... way too "everyday people" to be a Bond girl IMO. Still, I don't find her one of the worst. She was fun in the action scenes, and she looked nice in the beach scenes. Overall pleasant, just not memorable.
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    edited August 2008
    Have we mentioned Ruby in OHMSS?

Looked like comedian Alan Carr...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gwdVIkbhr0
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Have we mentioned Ruby in OHMSS?

Looked like comedian Alan Carr...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gwdVIkbhr0

Your right NP, she wasn't overly attractive, but I didn't find her annoying, so I didn't include her on my list.
  • Shaken007Shaken007 Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    May Day was unappealing for sure, she was too masculine for my cup of tea.
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    An interesting thread with a myriad of opinions I am sure. That said here are my top 5 and bottom 5 along with some pithy comments:

TOP 5
    1) PUSSY GALORE (Honor Blackman): The best name in the series. "I must be dreaming." Honor is in her 80's and still more beautiful than women half her age. She'll always be number 1 for me.

2) TRACI DI VICENZO (Diana Rigg): Hey, she was good enough for Bond to marry, right? We have all the time in the...whoops, nevermind.

3) HONEY RYDER (Ursula Undress): Is it Andress or Undress? As Hugh Hefner would say, watching her come out of the sea was "delicious."

4) VESPER LYNDE (Eva Green): Probably one of the best actresses to be a Bond girl...and not too bad to look at either.

5) MARY GOODNIGHT (Britt Eklund): OK, OK, I know this isn't going to be a popular choice but allow me my one guilty pleasure in my top five. It is MY top 5 afterall...haha...No one looked better in a bikini than Britt. You can't get any better in the pulchritude department than this one.

Honorable mention...I must come to the defense of Halle Berry. I think she was one of the most stunning women in the series and although the script wasn't fantastic I thought she did a good job with what they gave her.

BOTTOM 5:
    1) ROSIE CARVER (Gloria Hendry): LALD although praised as one of Moore's better Bold films unfortunately is a sometimes painful to watch blaxploitation film that didn't work for me. Rosie is the poster child for this movie.

2) HELGA BRANDT (Karen Dor): I simply did not find her appealing but was glad the piranhas did.

3) STACEY SUTTON (Tanya Roberts): Pretty woman who couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.

4) DR. CHRISTMAS JONES (Denise Richards): see Tanya Roberts. As if her character wasn't dumb enough, in real life she decided getting married to and having children with Charlie Sheen was a good idea.

5) BIBI DAHL (Lynn Holly Johnson): The May-December thing was too creepy but it did spawn one of the best lines from Moore, "Put your clothes on and I'll buy you an ice cream cone."
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • TheFacilityTheFacility Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    I have to agree, Halle Berry didnt seem to fit as a "Bond Girl," not that she's unattractive, but just something didnt seem right. Maybe I kept picturing her in Swordfish. ?:)
  • DrMaybeDrMaybe Posts: 204MI6 Agent
    I can't really even think of a Bond girl who was so wretched, even I wouldn't go out with her.

Even Lotte Lenya(back in the day) was kinda sexy.
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    How about the old lady with the machine gun in Goldfinger?
    "I musht be dreaming."
    How about the old lady with the machine gun in Goldfinger?

Well, I haven't really explored the dark recesses of my mind, to see if a Ma Barker fetish exists there, but I was pretty much referring to the larger female roles. I guess, Bambi and Thumper could be viewed as less than appealing to males, due to their obvious sexual proclivities, but it didn't turn me off. ;%
    edited August 2008
    DrMaybe wrote:
    I guess, Bambi and Thumper could be viewed as less than appealing to males, due to their obvious sexual proclivities, but it didn't turn me off. ;%
    What, two athletic women 'working together'? :v I doubt it would turn off most men. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    DrMaybe wrote:
    I guess, Bambi and Thumper could be viewed as less than appealing to males, due to their obvious sexual proclivities, but it didn't turn me off. ;%
    What, two athletic women 'working together'? :v I doubt it would turn off most men. :))

That sounds better in theory, than probable actuality, as there is a good chance you'd be the odd "man" out. And when I say out, I mean "out the door".
    edited August 2008
    DrMaybe wrote:
    That sounds better in theory, than probable actuality, as there is a good chance you'd be the odd "man" out. And when I say out, I mean "out the door".
    True, although when considering what one finds attractive and desirable, most men are not as realistic as you seem to be. ;)
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 241MI6 Agent
    The ones I find most unappealing are I suppose those that uncharitably can be termed bimbos

Britt Ekland
    Tanya Roberts
    Denise Richards
    I thought Ekland was cute. I just didn't like her behavior, offscreen, towards then-hubby Peter Sellers. Probably hastened his demise.
    Ooh, what's your source? She took her time if that's true, Sellers died a long time after her involvement. And Sellers was, by most accounts, a nutter who'd try most anyone's patience.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    And Sellers was, by most accounts, a nutter who'd try most anyone's patience.

Oh, and what's your source? A television biopic?

I'm going by what I used to hear in the gossip columns, about her having affairs, and performing nude in movies seemed to particularly set Sellers off. I don't think anyone but the 2 parties involved will ever know the absolute truth. And in case your interested, Sellers had 13 back to back heart attacks after marrying Ekland.

Will I be needing to verify every statement I make here, with you batboys, from now on?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited September 2008
    DrMaybe wrote:
    you batboys

Golly {:)

"B.A.D.*...Stop it before it stops you....A message from concerned fanboys everywhere."

*Batman-Affective Disorder
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    DrMaybe wrote:
    Will I be needing to verify every statement I make here, with you batboys, from now on?

Perhaps, given that NP gave a fairly critical review of TDK in that particular thread.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Let's get back to the topic in hand, gentlemen. Much appreciated, that! ;)
  • Blofeld's Other CatBlofeld's Other Cat Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    I think most Bond girls have their charm. Even the ugly ones - as long as there's character I kind of like them. Rosa Klebb is ugly and annoying, but she's also strong and the movie would not be the same without her. The same goes for Irma Bundt ans even, I guess, May Day.

So if there is no charm or character or the acting or accent etc fails then it doesn't appeal to me.

I'm still working on the list of the least appealing Bond girls, or th Bond girls that annoy me the most. Goodnight doesn't make it because her bimbo character is goofy, despite the Swedish accent.

The one that is definitely on my list is Barbara Bach as Anya Amasova. Half of the movie she forgets that she's supposed to sound Russian. They could not possibly find a Russian girl to play a Russian spy? For FRWL I coils understand it for political reasons, but not in the late 1970s any more. She's also arrogant and full of herself, and her eye and facial expressions scream of a rich, spoiled, western overgrown brat who knows of her value rather than being a Russian or to actually been in an army or to have any kind of military or intelligence experience.
  • Blofeld's Other CatBlofeld's Other Cat Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    edited January 2012
    A few other of the non-appealing kind I can add so far is the wifey of Scaramanga and Holly Goodhead. Both seem rather devoid of charm and mostly annoying.
  • jeffchjeffch Posts: 163MI6 Agent
    A few other of the non-appealing kind I can add so far is the wifey of Scaramanga and Holly Goodhead. Both seem rather devoid of charm and mostly annoying.

Muad Adams was Scaramanga's girl. I didnt mind her in TMTGG but didn't like her in OP. Goodhead was very bland.
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    tanya roberts, urma brunt, rosa klebb, corrine defour, mayday, yakaba brink.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
    DrMaybe wrote:
    And Sellers was, by most accounts, a nutter who'd try most anyone's patience.

Oh, and what's your source? A television biopic?

I'm going by what I used to hear in the gossip columns, about her having affairs, and performing nude in movies seemed to particularly set Sellers off. I don't think anyone but the 2 parties involved will ever know the absolute truth. And in case your interested, Sellers had 13 back to back heart attacks after marrying Ekland.

Probably yes. I get my sources from biographies on Peter Sellers, not the gossip columns. It's well known that Sellers was some way beyond bipolar, a bona fida nutjob.

Admittedly, that would be a snappier comeback if it weren't :# four years after the original quote. :o :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    A non appealing Bond girl to me is Rosie from LALD.

Not really my taste and also quite annoying.
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Add in Rosie Carver - awful.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Naomi Harris & Eva Green for me in recent times ( I know it's a lonely opinion but I just found both annoying)