YOUNG BOND

nokomnokom Posts: 26MI6 Agent
What do you think of it? Do you like it or hate it? Do you like it but think its non canon? Do you think it is true to Fleming? I love it. I think its great, I mean, its the best Bond novels since Fleming!

Comments

• zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    The Young Bond books are great. As with Craig and the reboot...the powers that be took a conceptual risk (but gambled on quality). Some fans predicted disaster. Instead, we have a critical and popular success that has reinvigorated the franchise.
    www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,582Chief of Staff
    zencat wrote:
    Some fans predicted disaster. Instead, we have a critical and popular success that has reinvigorated the franchise.

I was one of those fans ! Boy was I wrong !

I really couldn't see how these books could work but Charlie Higson has pulled the concept off brilliantly.
    Each book gets better and better and I look forward to Book4 :D
    YNWA 97
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I love these novels. the insight to Bond as a kid is a fun thing to read. Being an American, I await the relese of book three out here. I hope it's soon! Blood Fever left me wanting more!

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Pendragon wrote:
    I love these novels. the insight to Bond as a kid is a fun thing to read. Being an American, I await the relese of book three out here. I hope it's soon! Blood Fever left me wanting more!

~Pen -{

The third book is just as good - if not a bit better !
    YNWA 97
  • nokomnokom Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    But umm.... Book 3 is not out anywhere on earth yet! How could you have read it?
    nokom wrote:
    But umm.... Book 3 is not out anywhere on earth yet! How could you have read it?

Book 3 has been out for a while - if you know where to look. I got my copy off ebay over a month ago ;)
    It should be starting to hit the bookstore shelves here in the UK any day now.
    YNWA 97
    It hits UK stores January 4, Sir Miles. The big title revealing event is Jan. 3.

I also have the proof...but I've resisted the urge to read it. Call me crazy.

BTW, I have Charlie Higson's Book 3 UK tour dates HERE
    zencat wrote:
    It hits UK stores January 4, Sir Miles. The big title revealing event is Jan. 3.

Thanks for the exact date, zencat. Do you know when the foil-bagged editions will hit the stores (ie. before that date?) or will finding these editions be pot-luck ?
    zencat wrote:
    I also have the proof...but I've resisted the urge to read it. Call me crazy.

Ok. You're crazy :))
    It's a damn fine read, zencat - IMO, better than BloodFever. Is there a reason why you haven't read it yet ?
    zencat wrote:
    BTW, I have Charlie Higson's Book 3 UK tour dates HERE

Thanks - but I see he will not be venturing to Manchester X-( I wonder why that is ?:)
    YNWA 97
    edited December 2006
    I'm still not sure if ALL the early editions of YB3 will be foil bagged or not or how that's going to work on store shelves. They're not supossed to appear before the 4th (but copies of the book will be sold at the title reveal event on the 3rd). I'd hit your local bookstore on the 3rd and ask them what's up. The official site says pre-ordering will help. I expect some will show up on eBay as well. BTW, here's a first look at the book in bag HERE.

I haven't read the proof because I want to keep it Mint...and I also like to read THE book for some reason. I also just want to prolong the anticipation. :)
    zencat wrote:
    I haven't read the proof because I want to keep it Mint...and I also like to read THE book for some reason.

I can understand that - I'm lucky/sad* enough to be able to read a book without putting a mark on it, you would never be able to tell even at close quarters.
    zencat wrote:
    I also just want to prolong the anticipation. :)

Not so sure about that - a year is long enough for me :D

* delete where appropriate ;)
    YNWA 97
    The title of Young Bond 3 is...

DOUBLE OR DIE

CLICK HERE for exclusive video and pics from today's special Young Bond event on London.
    zencat wrote:
    The title of Young Bond 3 is...

DOUBLE OR DIE

An okay title - nothing special. The Deadlock Cipher is a far better title - and, IMO, it fits the story better.

Thanks for the update, zencat.
    YNWA 97
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I can understand that - I'm lucky/sad* enough to be able to read a book without putting a mark on it, you would never be able to tell even at close quarters.

I've had a copy for the best part of three months, but since I still haven't read the first two, I might give this one a miss too.

Unfortunately, I spilt red wine on YB3 ... worthless or priceless, who can tell ... :))
    Predator wrote:
    I've had a copy for the best part of three months, but since I still haven't read the first two, I might give this one a miss too.

Unfortunately, I spilt red wine on YB3 ... worthless or priceless, who can tell ... :))

Don't suppose you have the other two ? If so prepare to weep now :#
    YNWA 97
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Predator wrote:

Someone needs to learn how to read responsibly. ;)
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    I have to tell you that i want to read this book (i mean, this series) but sadly none of the has been translated to Spanish, or if so, there is no copy in my country.

I hope all of you enjoy this reading.

about the titles... they seem good to me, but hard to translate (what i understan, the first one is going to be called "Operation Silverfin" (not so original)
    I got my official copy today. It came sealed in a polythene bag - being the sad git that I am, that is where it will stay ;)
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2007
    Johmss wrote:
    I have to tell you that i want to read this book (i mean, this series) but sadly none of the has been translated to Spanish, or if so, there is no copy in my country.

I hope all of you enjoy this reading.

about the titles... they seem good to me, but hard to translate (what i understan, the first one is going to be called "Operation Silverfin" (not so original)

Here you go. Spanish SilverFin. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mision-Silverfin-Young-Charlie-Higson/dp/8408066005/sr=1-9/qid=1168040470/ref=sr_1_9/202-8461514-5857453?ie=UTF8&s=books

There's also a Spanish language version of the official site:
    http://www.destinojoven.com/bond/
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    Thanks Zencat, i'll have to wait less time that i was hoping for.

Thankfully i've visited the Youngbond site, it has some info but i'll be in the Spanish version as well.

Thanks... but sadly still missing two. i hope i don't have to wait three years for each one.
    So Missus Hat got me Silverfin and Blood Fever for Christmas. I'm only about 90 pages into Silverfin. Higson's a very good writer, but I can't help but think it's a bit of a Harry Potter rip-off. Young Bond is a awkward tyro in a new school, immediately becomes enemies with a blond-haired brat (whose father happens to be very influential), and has even picked up a red-haired companion while on a train trip.

Does anybody else see some HP similiarities?
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    So Missus Hat got me Silverfin and Blood Fever for Christmas. I'm only about 90 pages into Silverfin. Higson's a very good writer, but I can't help but think it's a bit of a Harry Potter rip-off. Young Bond is a awkward tyro in a new school, immediately becomes enemies with a blond-haired brat (whose father happens to be very influential), and has even picked up a red-haired companion while on a train trip.

The name's Potter. Harry Potter.

:))

I guess that's what happens when something like that is so successful for a certain audience. I'm sure even Star Wars has quite a bit of rip-off imitators and such...
    darenhat wrote:

Yes. There are similiarities to HP in SilverFn. But Blood Fever is pure BOND and Double or Die takes it to a whole new level. I've just posted up my review of DOD here:

Young Bond gets smart in Double or Die
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    I agree I got silverfin and blood fever for Christmas, I thought silverfin was good but had perhaps too many knowing nods to Flemming, not that they were bad just too much too soon. I'm now about half way through blood fever and loving it, the character of Bond is becoming more defined and less Harry Potter
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Finished 'Silverfin' over the weekend. I did enjoy it, and my hat is doffed to Mr. Higson. Any HP allusions I had were quickly dismissed after the first 100 pages, and the novel came into its own. And I loved the ending...I really felt that I was reading about a young James Bond, toughened through experiences but not willing to let those experiences control him.
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    Just picked up Silverfin yesterday. Felt a little odd purusing the teen series section of the bookstore.
  • nokomnokom Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    We have a release date!

Story by Zencat, from his site, the www.youngbonddossier.com

Young Bond fan “Silvereel” -- who just launched an all-new Young Bond forum -- has landed a terrific scoop! It appears we finally have a release date for the U.S. edition of Double or Die -- June 25, 2007.

How did Silvereel uncover this info when the best minds of YBD and CBn could not? Why, he called a bookstore, silly.

Doing the same, I learned that the book (which is still being listed as “Young Bond 3”) will be a hardcover and that the publisher will be Random House instead of Miramax/Hyperion who published the first two Young Bond novels in the U.S.

A big thanks to Silvereel. Make sure you visit his new website, The New Young Bond Forums.

Also note, I am Silvereel :007)
    Hey Silvereel. Fancy meeting you here. :)

Just so there is no confusion, this is NOT the Random House audiobook edition (which we've known about since November). This is the hardcover book.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    have now finished double or die, these books just get better and better. I've never picked up any of the other non Flemming books but wow it's just a shame we're only going to get five but at least that should stop them from sliding into more and more knowing winks and bad puns( speaking of which loved the one liner about the sailor)
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    nokom wrote:
    We have a release date!

Story by Zencat, from his site, the www.youngbonddossier.com

Young Bond fan “Silvereel” -- who just launched an all-new Young Bond forum -- has landed a terrific scoop! It appears we finally have a release date for the U.S. edition of Double or Die -- June 25, 2007.

How did Silvereel uncover this info when the best minds of YBD and CBn could not? Why, he called a bookstore, silly.

Doing the same, I learned that the book (which is still being listed as “Young Bond 3”) will be a hardcover and that the publisher will be Random House instead of Miramax/Hyperion who published the first two Young Bond novels in the U.S.

A big thanks to Silvereel. Make sure you visit his new website, The New Young Bond Forums.

Also note, I am Silvereel :007)

Looks like we need to unmark our calendars. The Double or Die release date has changed. I know the new date, but to avoid confusion in case it changes again, I'm going to keep my big yap shut until we get official word...which shouldn't be too long. Sorry.
    Agent_M wrote:
    have now finished double or die, these books just get better and better. I've never picked up any of the other non Flemming books but wow it's just a shame we're only going to get five but at least that should stop them from sliding into more and more knowing winks and bad puns( speaking of which loved the one liner about the sailor)
    Glad to hear you're enjoying these as much as I am, Agent M. I've read all the non-Flemings novels and I'm finding these Young Bond books among the best. Who would've thunk it?