YOUNG BOND

Comments

• zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Big news. Young Bond 4 will be released as a hardcover in the UK in September of THIS year. :)

http://web.mac.com/zencato/iWeb/Young_Bond/News/6A4311AE-9427-47FA-9C53-6FCA27CC3F3C.html
    www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,583Chief of Staff
    zencat wrote:
    Big news. Young Bond 4 will be released as a hardcover in the UK in September of THIS year. :)

It's good to see these books being released in hardback form - so this is good news.

zencat, do you know if Double Or Die will be released in a Limited Edition hardback, like it predecessors ?
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    zencat wrote:

It's good to see these books being released in hardback form - so this is good news.

zencat, do you know if Double Or Die will be released in a Limited Edition hardback, like it predecessors ?
    I don't know that yet, and I think it's still a little too early to start pestering Puffin about it (with BF they couldn't offically confirm it untl very close to publication). I hope they do.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    This is great news! I'm loving these books -and I must admit I would like more. :)
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    Zencat surely knows a lot of this saga.

I have top say with some joy that I finally own "Misión Silverfin" (or as you may know it: Silverfin). I'm in Pg 154 and is a good book. I just read again Fleming's series and is good to feel the same kind of composition that made the character and the books great (and unreadable for some as my brother).

The truth be said, I've only read Gardner's Goldeneye, but this one (even if is a children book) is better in some aspects.

There aren't news of YB2, but sadly i'll finish this book too fast and have nothing 'tll "Misión Bloodfever" arrives, well, nothing but AJB.

i believe that making more books (even if is Higson) is pushing the character too far. But I said that about Young Bond as well.
    Johmss wrote:
    There aren't news of YB2, but sadly i'll finish this book too fast and have nothing 'tll "Misión Bloodfever" arrives, well, nothing but AJB.
    I've been looking for news of a Spanish language Blood Fever and I've come up blank. If you hear something first, Johmss, please let me know. I will do the same. Thanks.

BTW, are you aware of the Spanish language version of the official site? Here you go: http://www.destinojoven.com/bond/
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    zencat wrote:
    BTW, are you aware of the Spanish language version of the official site? Here you go: http://www.destinojoven.com/bond/

Well, you already quoted that web, and believe me, the only thing that worth looking for is the first chapter, they only talk a little about Silverfin.

The book has a paperback and the cover is silver with blue letters (no Eels, nothing impressive, except that it reflects like a blurry mirror.

I believe (nothing official) that it will be available for the end of the year. but I'll keep (all of)you informed.
    edited May 2007
    Here's another scoop (and a way boss graphic) from that tireless obsessive over at The Young Bond Dossier. ;)

1000 signed copies of Hurricane Gold
    zencat wrote:
    Here's another scoop (and a way boss graphic) from that tireless obsessive over at The Young Bond Dossier. ;)

Great scoop and, again, thanks for the heads-up - I'll have to track (at least) one of these down :D
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    zencat wrote:

Great scoop and, again, thanks for the heads-up - I'll have to track (at least) one of these down :D

Closer to the release date I'll try and get a list of the bookstores that have them. Might make it easier for us.
    zencat wrote:
    Closer to the release date I'll try and get a list of the bookstores that have them. Might make it easier for us.

Thanks zencat - that would be a great help -{
    YNWA 97
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    *sigh* and I have to wait until 2008 or order it from over seas...sometimes it's annoying being an American...:p

I LOOOOVED the other two YB books, and I cannot wait to get my hands on Double or Die. sounds amazing...

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Pendragon wrote:
    *sigh* and I have to wait until 2008 or order it from over seas...sometimes it's annoying being an American...:p

I LOOOOVED the other two YB books, and I cannot wait to get my hands on Double or Die. sounds amazing...

~Pen -{
    You can get it from Amazon.co.uk. Pen. At the moment it's discounted 43% (which make it only about $6.00 US). Even with shipping, the total comes out to be the same (or even less) than the U.S. hardcover. Also, the US editions are sometimes edited (this was the case with SilverFin).
    edited October 2007
    We have a little Young Bond 5 info today...

Windsor Castle to play key role in Young Bond 5
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Finished reading Blood Fever this morning. An enjoyable read, for the most part, although I felt it dragged a little in the middle. Overall, I'm really finding the books to be a great set of stories (even though I'm only two books in). I'd say they were excellent altgother but some of the mild profanity IMO doesn't belong in a book so purposefully geared for younger readers. I know, I'm old-fashioned, and to Higson's credit, it's used sparingly, but for me it still detracts a bit.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Man...I was supposed to get my Hurricane Gold on Sept. 12 at the lastest from Amazon.uk, but it got lost! Well, at least they shipped a replacement, and I'm glad that the first "lost" shipment from abroad that I ever experienced was this and not any of the things I've gotten before (like vintage Action Man or the recent JB Car Collection diecasts) ...that would have really been the pits!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • postman patpostman pat Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Higson talks with great respect about the Fleming era. Still, I can't bring myself to buy those books.

I maintain that kids and spys should not mix.
    Higson talks with great respect about the Fleming era. Still, I can't bring myself to buy those books.

Well, these aren't Alex Rider novels, if that's what you fear, postman. They're simply tales of adventure in which Bond becomes involved in as a boy.

I wouldn't consider them canon, but they're still enjoyable.

And Bond can't be blonde.
  • postman patpostman pat Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:

Well, these aren't Alex Rider novels, if that's what you fear, postman. They're simply tales of adventure in which Bond becomes involved in as a boy.

I guess your point is well made, but I always felt that Young Bond would destroy my quite specific image of the adult Bond.

See, I identify with Fleming's spy far more than any film incarnation and so to read about 007, as I first discovered him without Flemings ruthless, coldhearted agent.

I guess I don't object to the Young Bond concept - I'm just an old fruit and I stick to what I like and know.

I guess I don't object to the Young Bond concept - I'm just an old fruit and I stick to what I like and know.

Fair enough! {[]
    edited September 2007
    I haven't been able to find YB3 or YB4 anywhere...can anyone help?? I'd really like to read them, and I find myself having to avoid the YB threads because of spoilers...:#

~Pen -{

edited September 2007
    darenhat wrote:

I guess your point is well made, but I always felt that Young Bond would destroy my quite specific image of the adult Bond.

See, I identify with Fleming's spy far more than any film incarnation and so to read about 007, as I first discovered him without Flemings ruthless, coldhearted agent.

My appreciation for the lit. JB, the person and the little nuances that define his character, vs. a specific age or life setting (e.g., as an adult, spy, etc.) is how I managed to carry that appreciation "back" to the YB years. Granted, Bond as an adult and how the character was written as such makes for key distinctions, but to me, I see (and relate to) the adult Bond more in light of how a man that age reacts to the day to day stimuli, vs. the aspects of being a seasoned security agent. But the common trait that I see in Bond no matter what stage of life he's in, is the sense of wonderment in discovering new things; I don't know if this was a conscious intent and correlation to the original character that Higson made, but surely he purposely brought to life the sense of adventure that Fleming infused into his writing.

But boy, oh boy, on a related note my Hurricane Gold finally arrived today, after a failed mailing attempt the first time from Amazon.uk! But what do I do with it now since I have other non-fun related readings I'm supposed to be doing instead?!?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Are you in the U.S., Pen, because they are not released here yet (DoD will be released in April 08).

But you can get the UK editions from Amazon.co.uk or eBay. No shortage there.
    edited September 2007
    yea, I'm in the US...

I'll probably just order them from Amazon then, as I REALLY want to read them...thanks!!

~Pen -{

Later the same day: Ordered both YB3 and YB4..should be at my house in a few days :D can't wait to read them!!!

Knowing that I had to sit in my dentist's waiting room beyond a reasonable time, I caved and started Hurricane Gold! I also caught some down time while I was with my daughter for her fieldtrip today, and waiting for my son practice in the park to get to chapter 5. Man, if YB is targeting a younger audience of readers, the violence in the first chapter certainly isn't for kids! So far, the downside of YB is when the story dips into the children's hour (in this book as w/the others, this would involve James' interaction w/other, often younger kids), which I suppose serves to support the premise of a younger Bond. Apart from that, young Bond's thought life is engaging despite his innocence.
    I forgot to comment, I'm not the biggest fan of anything gold, but the hardbound copy of Hurricane Gold that I got did not have the customary dust jacket, since the backing is in a shiny gold finish, plus the pages are gilt-edged. Its brilliance must have drawn some attention when I was reading it in the noonday sun. Someone even thought it was a Bible!
    We now have a working title for Young Bond 5:

The Shadow War
    A couple more cool Young Bond updates:

Hurricane Gold paperback cover art - very nice!

SilverFin Graphic Novel pre-order - coming May 1, 1008.

{[]