James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Comments

• Teenage MTeenage M LondonPosts: 206MI6 Agent
    THERE IS A FINELY DETAILED 1:8 SCALE MODEL OF THE JAMES BOND 'GOLDFINGER' ASTON MARTIN DB5 FOR SALE AT BONHAMS AUCTIONS! :007)

THE LINK TO THE PAGE IS BELOW:
    http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22705/lot/111/
    James Bond: That’s a Smith & Wesson, and you’ve had your six.

http://www.james-bondco.yolasite.com/
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Teenage M wrote:
    THERE IS A FINELY DETAILED 1:8 SCALE MODEL OF THE JAMES BOND 'GOLDFINGER' ASTON MARTIN DB5 FOR SALE AT BONHAMS AUCTIONS! :007)

I have one of those... except mine is much more finely detailed!
  • Teenage MTeenage M LondonPosts: 206MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    Teenage M wrote:

I have one of those... except mine is much more finely detailed!

They are very cool! :007)
    James Bond: That’s a Smith & Wesson, and you’ve had your six.

http://www.james-bondco.yolasite.com/
  • DDenisDDenis Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    Hi to all,
    A new code 3 James Bond, coming from an 'old' idea from SWJ...p256 .... :))
    Hope to see new models in the new 'official' collection (any news ?...?)

184_Inside_part_185_DD_00.jpg

185_CODE_3_DD_ROLE_OF_HONOR_LANCIA_STRATOS_0.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg
    Cheers
  • herbie123herbie123 Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    Has anybody received their copy through the post yet. I subsrcriped over three weeks ago and still haven't received mine yet.
    Diecast007 wrote:
    rhinoman wrote:
    Should mention also, some of the free gifts if you do subscribe, via http://007car-collection.com/ :

sub_gift_1.jpg sub_gift_2.jpg sub_gift_3.jpg

The special DB5 and RR Phantom models are described as "gold-painted"! Looks more like banana yellow to me haha.

Cheers,
    Rhinoman B-)

Welcome back Rhino man! {[]

I realise the special DB5 and Rolls Royce models are probably only pre-production mock-ups but they do look strange, a bit like they've been through a caramel car wash apart from the lights, tyres and licence plates.

I did actually suggest many moons ago that Fabbri/Eaglemoss could have created a Goldfinger RR with partial gold being shown, as per the gold smuggling concept in the movie, but covering the entire thing in gold paint including the roof is going a bit far methinks.

I think they'd both look better presented like the Corgi gold DB5, with chromed parts being left in chrome.

As soon as my delivery arrives I will post pictures. Cant believe this thread is still going which is brilliant. I might just be inspired to rekindle my code 3's that never got finished. Good to see familiar names ! here's to more chat ahead with what could be potentially an exciting new collection albeit with some repeated models !
  • FACTFACT Station ZPosts: 320MI6 Agent
    Just stepping away from the JBCC/BIM theme for a bit, I see that Corgi is now planning a Thunderball 50th Anniversary edition of the 1/43 Aston Martin DB5 casting that has seen such mileage in 2015.

ICYMI, the Goldfinger 50th Anniversary version was released as CC04203 towards the end of January 2015 and then re-issued without the anniversary stickers as CC04204 & then again as CC04205 (although the differences between the last two are not at all obvious) ... all with silver and gold versions, in the ratio of 5:1.

The packaging for the proposed new release, CC04206, is largely the same as the previous three but differs in terms of colours, dropping the yellow & using silver in its place & swapping the blue for a darker blue. Unfortunately my Postimage account has disappeared since I last used it here so I can't share.
    It will apparently also be made as 5 silvers to 1 gold.

Not sure what market Corgi is chasing with all of these DB5 re-issues ... and unless they are getting this model to market in January they run the risk of missing the Thunderball anniversary boat anyway (released December 1965).
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the info, FACT - although there were no gold 04205, only silver.

This gold 04206 was just listed on ebay:

$_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    Thanks for posting those, RW,, I wasn't aware that the Thunderball one was already making its way into the market. For die-hard collectors only, I reckon everyone else must have had enough of this casting in 2015 by now!

Thanks also for the correction on CC04205. Do you know what the difference is between that one and CC04204S (apart from a different barcode :)) )

Going by the ZIN01... product number above the barcode in the last pic above (& also on my CC04204S) I presume these are still being made for Corgi by the Zindart factory.
    What I just noticed on second glance is that the new box does not have the collector card that slides out on the left side.

I think the silver 04204 and -05 cars are identical except for different date codes on the baseplate.
    The 04203 (both colours) have ZIN01-12-852 and both 04204, ZIN01-03-078, also seen on the boxes. 12 and 03 seem to be the month of manufacture (the new one has 11), so the 04205 should have 06 or 07 (I don't have this one) but otherwise unchanged. The paint was consistent - I haven't found a shade difference between my gold and silver 04203 and -04.
    I just found a DAF Mustang Mach 1 that is a new 1:43 release from Greenlight Collectibles. The packaging doesn't mention James Bond but it is a red Mach 1 without the typical stripe package, the unusual small hubcaps with trim rings (most Mach 1's came with Magnum 500 5-spoke wheels) and - what a coincidence! - the same Nevada number plates CA52H6.

169172.jpg
    169173.jpg
    169218.jpg
    169219.jpg
    169220.jpg

(photos: ck-modelcars.de)

I think it's very nice for the price (€20) - finer detailed than the cheaper JBCC version and I also think better looking than the much higher priced Minichamps model. I prefer the Minichamps' grille and driving lights but the too low stance of its front has always bothered me. Also, the thinner white-stripe tyres of the Greenlight look better and are closer to the film car.
  • MovieCarFanMovieCarFan Posts: 973MI6 Agent
    Nice find, RW! Much as I love the good old classic DB5, it's great to see other cars from the Bond movies being revisited from time to time, even if they are being issued without Bond branded packaging. I know the real Mach One has its critics amongst US Muscle Car fans but it does make for a great looking model IMHO. I'll definitely be looking out for this one to add to my collection.
    The gold one is again sold out. This time a numbered certificate was included - it is a limited edition of 5,000. So it shouldn't be so rare to buy it for 3 or 4 times the original price...

$_57.JPG
    And I've just seen an auction showing the silver Thunderball DB5's LE card - 25,000 units ... and I used to laugh at some of those Corgi Classics produced in the 1990s where the "limited editions" were in the order of 14,000 or upwards! :))

Corgi published their first 2016 catalogue on their website yesterday, but nothing included about the Spectre DB10 releases. Wholesalers are listing a CC08001 (single car) and CC08099 (twin pack) due in January, though. No photo available yet for the latter so I don't know what that one is about.
    FACT wrote:
    Corgi published their first 2016 catalogue on their website yesterday, but nothing included about the Spectre DB10 releases. Wholesalers are listing a CC08001 (single car) and CC08099 (twin pack) due in January, though. No photo available yet for the latter so I don't know what that one is about.

Don't know about you but I thought the 2016 models announced so far were a little bit disappointing, mostly re-colours and not very exciting ones IMHO. I did see in a die-cast mag that Hornby are struggling a bit, so maybe they are trying to get the most out of what they already have to offer rather than producing much in the way of new stuff.

Re the mystery CC8099 twin pack, I would lay bets that it will be a DB10 and DB5.
    FACT wrote:

Don't know about you but I thought the 2016 models announced so far were a little bit disappointing, mostly re-colours and not very exciting ones IMHO. I did see in a die-cast mag that Hornby are struggling a bit, so maybe they are trying to get the most out of what they already have to offer rather than producing much in the way of new stuff.

Re the mystery CC8099 twin pack, I would lay bets that it will be a DB10 and DB5.
    You are generous, MCF, the 2016 Vanguards range are ALL re-colours. Same for the bus range. The only new tooling is one truck, a previously-announced P-51 Mustang, and the elusive DB10.

Yes, Hornby have managed to reverse their before-tax profit of earlier this year by what appears to have been a very shoddy implementation of a new ERP system. I for one got caught by ordering phantom stock and then having to deal with what passes for customer service there to get a refund after my parcel arrived with only half my order in it!
    Their investor info can be found here, if you're interested:
    http://www.hornby.plc.uk/rns/
    So yes, the turnaround strategy of using as much of their old tooling as possible continues, but for 2016 the Corgi prices have gone up: e.g. 2015 First Half Vanguards models were generally £23, then 2015 Second Half prices dropped to £20, and now for 2016 First Half they will be £25.

Also, in a James Bond related theme, all the Lotus models have disappeared off the Corgi website - all those Esprits cannot have sold out already, so I presume the licence might have expired (?).

On the upside, the latest financial report says that Hornby now has its own tooling warehouse in China from where the tooling is sent out to the various factories, which seems to be a far safer plan than having it stored at the factories (there was a story a few years ago about how Corgi nearly lost some of their aviation tooling in one of those factories that suddenly went bust).
    Interesting info FACT, thanks for that.

I've often wondered why companies such as Hornby don't make the most of opportunities that seem (to the layman) to present themselves. Regarding Airfix for instance, do they not have the moulds for the larger James Bond DB5 kit anymore? Or the Toyota 2000GT kit? How about the Gerry Anderson Stingray kit they made back in the 60's? And didn't they make that amazing Fireball XL5 kit as 'Kitmaster' in the same era? All of these models go for ridiculous amounts of money - £600 plus for made up XL5s and Stingrays - so I would have thought re-issues would go down a storm amongst collectors.

On the diecast front, the same thing applies - how about re-issuing the Memphis Belle B-17 that everybody pays so much for? How about the TV Batmobile with all its gadgets? I see they are re-issuing Thunderbirds models but TB1 and TB3 are basically the old really small Matchbox offerings - how about bigger scale versions with more detail? I could go on.......
  • Sabreman64Sabreman64 London, UKPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    I hope this new 'Bond in Motion' series has sold well enough to make it to national release. I've done my bit by buying issues 3 and 4. I did take out a subscription to the original collection but then cancelled it around issue 20 (I forget why now). I resubscribed at around issue 120 but by then the series was approaching its conclusion. I bought some back issues on ebay, but avoided cars from the Craig films as I have no interest in those films. That still left me with about 70 issues of the collection I needed to buy. If this new series is released nationally I'll be able to buy those missing models. OK, I'll be left with a lot of duplicate models, but I can always flog those on ebay.
  • DDenisDDenis Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    Hi to all,

here some new code3 , based on 'old' :)) ideas from SWJ (thanks !). Where are the models from the new serie ??????? :D

Cheers.

185_Inside_part_186_DD_00.jpg

186_CODE_3_DD_FOR_SPECIAL_SERVICES_FORD_MUSTA.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

And next model :

186_Inside_part_187_DD_00.jpg
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I've often wondered why companies such as Hornby don't make the most of opportunities that seem (to the layman) to present themselves. Regarding Airfix for instance, do they not have the moulds for the larger James Bond DB5 kit anymore? Or the Toyota 2000GT kit? How about the Gerry Anderson Stingray kit they made back in the 60's? And didn't they make that amazing Fireball XL5 kit as 'Kitmaster' in the same era? All of these models go for ridiculous amounts of money - £600 plus for made up XL5s and Stingrays - so I would have thought re-issues would go down a storm amongst collectors.

On the diecast front, the same thing applies - how about re-issuing the Memphis Belle B-17 that everybody pays so much for? How about the TV Batmobile with all its gadgets? I see they are re-issuing Thunderbirds models but TB1 and TB3 are basically the old really small Matchbox offerings - how about bigger scale versions with more detail? I could go on.......

The Kitmaster XL5, the Stingray and the 007 car toolings are no longer capable of being used, either lost or so badly damaged it would cost more to fix them than totally remake them, the DB5 was remade into a DB6 and the Toyota to the standard hard-top. These were all asked for on the recent Airfix Kickstarter programme and the toolings checked.
    Corgi do not hold the diecast rights for Batman anymore and the 1/72 Memphis Belle has been made twice in slightly different versions, limited editions so no re-release , anyway there are several thousand good 8th Air Force schemes to do without re-hashing ones that have been done, as well as that the Corgi AA range is fully filled for the next two years including several totally new toolings ;)
    edited December 2015
    sniperUK wrote:

The Kitmaster XL5, the Stingray and the 007 car toolings are no longer capable of being used, either lost or so badly damaged it would cost more to fix them than totally remake them, the DB5 was remade into a DB6 and the Toyota to the standard hard-top. These were all asked for on the recent Airfix Kickstarter programme and the toolings checked.
    Corgi do not hold the diecast rights for Batman anymore and the 1/72 Memphis Belle has been made twice in slightly different versions, limited editions so no re-release , anyway there are several thousand good 8th Air Force schemes to do without re-hashing ones that have been done, as well as that the Corgi AA range is fully filled for the next two years including several totally new toolings ;)

What a shame, I had a feeling that might be what happened to those wonderful models and why they weren't re-issued :( I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I bet the people concerned even now probably still regret their decision to alter, scrap or simply not preserve those moulds, especially the Bond DB5. I was only a small child when I saw the Kitmaster XL5 (a friend had one) but I clearly remember being blown away by the detail in the kit, even at that young age. The parts looked just like those of a contemporary Airfix WW2 bomber kit like the Lancaster, with the same degree of accuracy. The assembled model was like a dream compared to the crude toys generally available at the time, but impossible to get hold of if you didn't have the right vouchers at the right time and missed the boat. Kids' pester-power didn't exist in those days!
    Re Memphis Belle, I mentioned it because of the movie connection and I think that it's that associated interest that marks it out as a potential under-used money-spinner. Personally, as someone with a vested interest in WW2 aircraft (I've been trying to get various die-cast companies to produce a Bristol Beaufort 1a/2 without much luck so far) I think all the Corgi B-17s are great, but it's the Belle that most people seem to be familiar with, and perhaps Corgi would be wise to re-issue it a few more times.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    sniperUK wrote:

What a shame, I had a feeling that might be what happened to those wonderful models and why they weren't re-issued :( I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I bet the people concerned even now probably still regret their decision to alter, scrap or simply not preserve those moulds, especially the Bond DB5. I was only a small child when I saw the Kitmaster XL5 (a friend had one) but I clearly remember being blown away by the detail in the kit, even at that young age. The parts looked just like those of a contemporary Airfix WW2 bomber kit like the Lancaster, with the same degree of accuracy. The assembled model was like a dream compared to the crude toys generally available at the time, but impossible to get hold of if you didn't have the right vouchers at the right time and missed the boat. Kids' pester-power didn't exist in those days!
    Re Memphis Belle, I mentioned it because of the movie connection and I think that it's that associated interest that marks it out as a potential under-used money-spinner. Personally, as someone with a vested interest in WW2 aircraft (I've been trying to get various die-cast companies to produce a Bristol Beaufort 1a/2 without much luck so far) I think all the Corgi B-17s are great, but it's the Belle that most people seem to be familiar with, and perhaps Corgi would be wise to re-issue it a few more times.

Sally B have been approached about doing that as an option but copyrights and costs have got in the way .Corgi are looking at about a dozen or more new aircraft tooling for the next few cats, 2016 and early 17 have been decided and being worked on with ideas for late 17 -18 being worked on now, some very interesting stuff coming up in the next few years ;) As for Belle ,IMHO no more as limited means limited unlike the Gemini Jets F-4 when they added another thousand or so to the production with duplicate numbers on the cards.
    The AA range are Corgis best selling range at the minute.
    edited December 2015
    The Corgi DB10 is now available direct from Corgi:
    http://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/new-for-2016/james-bond-aston-martin-db10-spectre.html
    An ear-flap style box that reminds of the 2005 era Vanguards cardboard outer boxes.

Yes, the Aviation Archive is definitely Corgi's main focus and, I believe, the primary reason why Hornby bought the brand in 2008. As a Vanguards collector this isn't ideal for me, and I guess the bus collectors are in the same boat (and the recent research errors in that range are not encouraging).

I hope Hornby Hobbies gets its management sorted out as they can't go on losing money year after year. It seems that they make well-intended decisions (new stock management system, Airfix KitStarter, etc.) but then the implementation of those decisions leaves much to be desired and ends up alienating existing customers rather than gaining new ones.
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Visited the toy department of our local department store and they had masses of the Corgi 50th Thunderball Aston Martin, looked through them all and counted 8 gold versions :s at a price of £20 each, so still can be found at sensible prices. -{
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • SWJSWJ Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    Hello all

Hopefully I should be able to post some more 'code 3's ' over the next couple of weeks.

But in the meantime please have a look at this picture - any idea what model of car the illustrator was thinking about when they put pen to paper? I was searching for Goldfinger cars the other day and out of nowhere an Indian publication of Goldfinger came up with this car on the front cover. Now I'm usually quite good at ID'ing old cars but this stumped me. I was thinking Citroen Dyane - but the grill isn't quite right.
    Capture.jpg
    SWJ wrote:
    Hello all

Hopefully I should be able to post some more 'code 3's ' over the next couple of weeks.

But in the meantime please have a look at this picture - any idea what model of car the illustrator was thinking about when they put pen to paper? I was searching for Goldfinger cars the other day and out of nowhere an Indian publication of Goldfinger came up with this car on the front cover. Now I'm usually quite good at ID'ing old cars but this stumped me. I was thinking Citroen Dyane - but the grill isn't quite right.
    Capture.jpg

The top is something like a Citroen 2CV and the lower half looks like a cross between a DB4 and a Ford Zodiac. I'm pretty sure (as someone with a career in advertising and graphics) it's not meant to be a real car, just a very bad artist's impression of a 'posh sporty car' back in the 60's. Sometimes even today you'll see a car on a TV ad that's been 'messed around with' so you can't tell exactly what it is. Doing that avoids product licensing or even lawsuits for defamation of the product!
    sniperUK wrote:

Sally B have been approached about doing that as an option but copyrights and costs have got in the way .Corgi are looking at about a dozen or more new aircraft tooling for the next few cats, 2016 and early 17 have been decided and being worked on with ideas for late 17 -18 being worked on now, some very interesting stuff coming up in the next few years ;) As for Belle ,IMHO no more as limited means limited unlike the Gemini Jets F-4 when they added another thousand or so to the production with duplicate numbers on the cards.
    The AA range are Corgis best selling range at the minute.

Have sent you a PM about this.......... :)
    SWJ wrote:
    Hello all

Capture.jpg

The top is something like a Citroen 2CV and the lower half looks like a cross between a DB4 and a Ford Zodiac. I'm pretty sure (as someone with a career in advertising and graphics) it's not meant to be a real car, just a very bad artist's impression of a 'posh sporty car' back in the 60's. Sometimes even today you'll see a car on a TV ad that's been 'messed around with' so you can't tell exactly what it is. Doing that avoids product licensing or even lawsuits for defamation of the product!

Thanks for that. This makes sense. The cars featured in the Dr No graphic novel are likewise!

I was also looking through the Octopussy 'comic' as well and the car they've drawn in place of the Alfa is obvioulsy based on the Sierra. It's probably meant to be an XR4i, but as you say, messed around with to get around licensing perhaps. As it happens, in one shot it looks as though the artist has designed the Sierra Sapphire 4 years early!
  • imranbecksimranbecks SingaporePosts: 139MI6 Agent
    Just ordered the Corgi DB10.. It looks good.
    I'm assuming that if they have decided to go ahead with the 'Bond in Motion' publication we should start to see adverts coming out in the New Year. If memory serves, we were getting JBCC TV sdverts in the January.

Have those people that have taken out subscriptions seen or heard anything more? The web site still appears to be highlighting the same eight models plus a photo of the DB10.