Plot and title ideas for Bond 22

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,846MI6 Agent
    Dan Same is right. But I also saw the poster of the new Kate Beckinsale film "Whiteout". I thought that would be a good Bond title, particularely before I SAW the end of CR.
    I still like "Snakecharmer" or "SnakeCharmer", another of my ideas.
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Has anyone else seen the poster for Bond 22 with the title 'Quatum Of Solace'? You can see it in this video;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n4EK05JoDOw

The poster appears at 35 seconds
    Is this real? Or just fan made?
    I doubt that it's real. For one thing, the actor in the poster doesn't IMO particularly look like Craig.

Its certainly Daniel Craig, as I have the original photo used in this poster myself. I think Quatum Of Solace is a perfect title for the film following on from CR, it explains Bonds feelings perfectly.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
    I've been thinking of a plot where hitmen are paid to kill Bond. Done before in "The man with the golden gun", you say? Perhaps, but I think this is different enough. I also think Bond must be more experianced (and have more enemies) than he has in Bond 22.
    I read that organized crime, pedophiles and terrorist are using the virtual world in "Second Life" on the net to meet up, plan, train, discuss and launder money. Why not asassins too?
    They don't want to talk face to face - why not avatar to avatar. The kind of people and organisations who want to hire them know where in Second Life (or a virtual world like it)they can meet with professional hitmen. Someone hires 4-6 of the world's best professional asassins to kill or capture 007. This is not an idea to use Second Life as a major "location". There is no need to make more than a few minutes on the web. It's reasonably efficient and logical way to have a contractor and some assasins (sooner or later I will spell it right!)without rewealing their identity.
    Perhaps the meeting is observed by MI6 or maybe some inocent avatar "bystander". The hitmen try to kill or capture Bond, Bond tries to find the contractor before he gets killed. Perhaps the virtual vitnes is the Bond girl?
    A trusted friend of Bond, perhaps Bill Tanner, takes 007 to find the people who hired the killers. It's all a trap, and Tanner is in on it.
    Bond is captured. The big reveal is that Tanner isn't a traitor, Bill Tanner saw that Bond has to be captured to find the identity of those who want him dead. They will only continue hireing killers, and sooner or later the will succeed.
    We find out who is doing the hireing and Tanner frees Bond, perhaps before getting killed himself.

Ps. : Please don't be an idiot. Don't write: "Oh no, not an entire Bond film set in the internett!"
    :s
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,521Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    I've been thinking of a plot where hitmen are paid to kill Bond. Done before in "The man with the golden gun", you say?

Actually, I say done before in "Nobody Lives For Ever"...
    Really? I have obviously never read that. How close was I?
    edited August 2007
    To avoid spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read it...
    A revived SPECTRE under Tamil Rahini, who had been introduced in the previous Gardner, organises a headhunt on Bond. Quite literally, they offer a ransom on his head. Moneypenny and May (Bond's housekeeper) are kidnapped, and 007 aided (?) by the beautiful Sukie Tempesta and Nannie Norrich tries to save them while various characters attempt to kill him off to obtain the reward money.

There are some twists which I won't reveal unless you want- or why not read it!
    Thanks Barbel, I may very well read it! There probably are some good twists in it!
    I do like my twists: the use of a virtual world for the employer and the asassins and how Tanner betrays 007 to save Bonds life. Don't you agree?
    It might work, although the plot twist (good guy pretends to be bad guy but is really good guy all along) is again very Gardneresque (won't say where to avoid spoilers). I do like Bill Tanner getting a beefed-up part; he's been underused or used badly in the films in the past, in the main.

TMWTGG- blink and you'll miss him. Totally irrelevant to the plot and even the scene he's in.

FYEO- played too unsympathetically. This guy's supposed to be Bond's best friend in the Service?

GE- not bad.

TWINE- had to split the part with Robinson, reducing any impact or significance.

As to the Net, IMHO it would be fine as a plot feature but not to have the whole thing relying on it.
    Precisely. I too felt that Tanner has been underused. The net is also underused, and a virtual world is the most visual way to do so.
  • a rogue AIa rogue AI Posts: 128MI6 Agent
    Some questions if I may:

1. Is there (a countdown to) some date when the title and plot details will be revealed? (In a press conference I'd suppose)

2. Is the script written?

3. Is the November 7 release date (from the imdb) accurate/official?
    Is it possible to run polls on this website?
    I was thinking of a poll about the title of Bond 22.
    Members could nominate 1-3 titles;Flemming titles, titles from other authors, titles from other fans or their own suggestions. Perhaps some kind of selection process before the poll if there are many suggestions. What do you think?
    I'm not shure I explained myself very well. The idea was to lett members suggest tiltles, but there should be an upper limit for how many titles each member can nominate.
    Soo ....... is that a no, then?

I'll just keep posting my own suggestions then, mainly out of bordom. Why should I be the only one who's bored? :))

"Way of Death" sounds Flemmingesque. A twist from the traditinal "Way of life", sort of in the tradition of "Live and let die" and (gulp) "Die another day".
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    How about The Bond Ultimatum? Just to annoy Paul Greengrass. :v :))
    Number24 wrote:

"Way of Death" sounds Flemmingesque.

It ought to! From YOLT, the end of Chapter 9:

"You will soon become accustomed to the Japanese way of life," said Tiger graciously.
    "It's their way of death that's got me a little bit puzzled," said Bond amiably...
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Way of Death sounds a bit too much like one of those knock-off kung-fu movies that appeared after Bruce Lee's death. And I'm not referring to the TMWTGG. :D Films with titles like The New Game of Death, Revenge of the Dragon and such like.
    I have to agree with both of you.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I think this will be another FYEO due to the rumours about Risico and the filming locations. Hopefully, without the pre-creds scene and corny music and maybe a tad darker, this could be the best bond ever!
    207qoznfl4.gif
    I have mentioned earlier that I would like to see a snowmobile chase/stunt. Here are some clips from Youtube to illustrate:

- watercrossing by snowmobile:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjI9s7cotI

- 100 feet jumps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ru2B7_sv90

-snowmobiling in snow-free streets:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le5-R5zMv64

- going up and down very steep mountains:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oRdtvHQkF8&mode=related&search=

snowmobiling at this level has never (tom my knowledge) been done in an feature movie.
    Move over Die Hard 2!!!
    - cool driving in general:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ODwJS9_cY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzaPDy5gk9g&NR=1
    A better clip of snowmobile driving in bare city streets:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzEl7BbQg4Y
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    How's about "The one that got away" or maybe A bullet for a Tear. I dunno, lets get one of those magnetic poetry kits and see what we come up with...
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
    I like the long (From Russia with Love, The world is not enough) and short (Dr No, Goldeneye) titles.

Here is a very short one: (the)Crux

It has three meanings:
    -cross (lat.)
    -The Southern Cross, the star constilation over the south pole. Shows the direction south on the southern hemisphere.
    -the most vital and difficult part of a matter, issue (ex. : "The crux of the matter is ...")
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    "Love Kills All" may not seem too relevant or deeply complex but it does,however, ring true while sounding dangerous/sexy enough to qualify. I would be excited to hear a bond title this edgy. Bond girl;platinum haired Mrs 'Frosty' Goodcake. As for a story line, well, I'm still kicking it around. Love could stand for some four word plan, to bring civilization to it's knees through manipulation of a Wall street-financial collapse in concert with staged, terrorist events, by the 'LOVE' enlivened SPECTRE.
    These events would demonstrae NATO's inability to control the sudden disassembly of western commerce and ideals. Or it could be Bond's super nemesis, Montague Love, a highly celebrated, record setting, aviator-billionaire whose designs on world salvation are shown through political manipulation under the guise of solar powered, socio-eco awareness and the near-total shut down of all industry, save for oil and nuclear energy in the quest for international insurgent proliferation; leading to a standoff between superpowers who were previously allied.
    The trick is, finding the best application for 007 and 2nd Para Regiment
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    I do not have an entire plot idea to share but I wanted to suggest a scene. I recently relistened to the Moonraker audio book and thought the section when Drax questions Bond towards the end would be a perfect scene for Craig reminiscent to the scene with the carpet beater in CR. I would not read the spoiler if you have not read the book and plan to read it.
    In the book Drax has captured Bond and the girl (who’s name escapes me at the moment) and has them tied up. He wants to know how much Bond knows about his plot and if he has informed anyone else. Bond refuses to reveal anything until Drax’s henchman Krebs lights a blowtorch and threatens the girl with it, at which time Bond relents. Bond then provokes Drax into a rage, taking a vicious beating in the process. Bond then turns his bloody face to the girl, smiles, and reveals his plan. Namely that he had to provoke Drax into a rage in order to trick him into leaving behind the torch. Bond then has to relight the torch using a lighter in his mouth, burning his face in the process, and then burning the ties that bind the girl.

My description above does not do Fleming’s master story telling justice. I think that would be a perfect scene to adapt to film. When I relistened to it I could picture Craig in that scene.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    00-Agent wrote:
    I do not have an entire plot idea to share but I wanted to suggest a scene. I recently relistened to the Moonraker audio book and thought the section when Drax questions Bond towards the end would be a perfect scene for Craig reminiscent to the scene with the carpet beater in CR. I would not read the spoiler if you have not read the book and plan to read it.
    In the book Drax has captured Bond and the girl (who’s name escapes me at the moment) and has them tied up. He wants to know how much Bond knows about his plot and if he has informed anyone else. Bond refuses to reveal anything until Drax’s henchman Krebs lights a blowtorch and threatens the girl with it, at which time Bond relents. Bond then provokes Drax into a rage, taking a vicious beating in the process. Bond then turns his bloody face to the girl, smiles, and reveals his plan. Namely that he had to provoke Drax into a rage in order to trick him into leaving behind the torch. Bond then has to relight the torch using a lighter in his mouth, burning his face in the process, and then burning the ties that bind the girl.

My description above does not do Fleming’s master story telling justice. I think that would be a perfect scene to adapt to film. When I relistened to it I could picture Craig in that scene.

I've talked about this elsewhere, and I think you're absolutely right. This 'Fleming Moment' is tailor-made for Daniel Craig; I can imagine no other past Bond actor making it work onscreen.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    The scene us exelent, but I think we should give Bond a break from the torture in Bond 22.
    Poor man, he's been tortured in both the two last films.
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    The scene us exelent, but I think we should give Bond a break from the torture in Bond 22.

Perhaps your right and it should be saved for Bond 23, but as Loeff said it is a tailor made moment for DC. And those scenes are some of the most memorable of the last two films.

Besides, Bond 22 still needs a scene in the film where he escapes certain death and this one is from the man himself. Unless this part of the formula has to be thrown out with Q and Moneypenny.;) Just kidding.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
    edited September 2007
    Number24 wrote:

Interestingly, Fleming himself never afforded such mercy to Bond. In his first six novels, for instance:

1) CR: Le Chiffre and Bond...carpet beater...'nuff said :o

2) LALD: Bond has a pinky finger bent back by Mr. Big's men until it snaps! :o

3) MR: The scene described above where Bond willfully has the s**t beaten out of him in order to distract the villain...plus the steam-hose :o

4) DAF: "Brooklyn Stomping---eighty percenter" :o

5) FRWL: Bond is kicked---and (nearly) fatally poisoned---by Rosa Klebb's poison-tipped shoe :o

6) DN: The gauntlet...and the giant squid :o

...and so on.

IMO, Bond's endurance of these things is what made him a legendary action hero---leading to a successful film franchise---and the worldwide acceptance of CR creates an opening for this more 'Flemingesque' approach to the cinematic tribulations of 007. I hope they go for it.
    IMO, Bond's endurance of these things is what made him a legendary action hero---leading to a successful film franchise---and the worldwide acceptance of CR creates an opening for this more 'Flemingesque' approach to the cinematic tribulations of 007. I hope they go for it.

On that subject, from Kingsley Amis' James Bond Dossier:

"Three of Mr Fleming's favourite situations are about to come up one after the other. Bond is to be wined and dined, lectured on the aesthetics of power, and finally tortured by his chief enemy.
    The last of these three has inevitably attracted more attention... Mr Fleming was known to be sensitive to adverse criticism of the moralizing sort, far more so than might have been expected...[and this] was probably responsible for the marked alleviation of Bond's sufferings in the last few years. In the first seven novels, ending with Goldfinger, he only once escaped captivity-plus-ill-usage. Since [then] he has got away with it every time except in You Only Live Twice, and even then he takes a mere ten hand-blows to the head.
    However, Bond's tendency to find himself tied to a chair under scientific torment is an important feature of his total character... It makes us feel admiration and sympathy for the hero and fear and hatred for the villain."

And when Amis took up Fleming's pen for Colonel Sun Bond finds himself in exactly that situation.
    edited September 2007
    Well-buttressed, my Scottish friend {[]

Amis was delightfully eloquent on this matter...Craig ought to end up the most 'put upon' Bond in film history... :o B-)