could Denise Richards have been anymore miscast?

She seriously may be the worst actor/actress in the series. I cannot fathom how they decided to cast her for that part. (I just watched TWINE for the first time if your wondering why I bring this up)

What in her acting resume told them that she was believable as a nuclear scientist???

Was there any doubt that she would end up with the wet t-shirt at the end? I guess that's what got her the part.

A friend of mine and I have joked for years that the worst actors on the planet are Casper Van Dien and Denise Richards. I guess Casper was busy when the Bond producers called............

Comments

• alabamabondfanalabamabondfan Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    Ok, we definitely disagree then. I didn't have a problem with her looks at all. Bond movies always put beautiful women in all kinds of different roles so this one shouldn't be any different. I do happen to believe Denise Richards is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. I can't think of one role where she actually acted well and just didn't get by on her looks.

I thought she was terrible with the "technobabble". She's certainly not the only person to not be believable in a Bond film but she is the worst in my opinion.

When did i say her appearance made her miscast in this role??? Or that she was too young???
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I would say that yes, Denise Richards' looks do make her seem unlikely as a scientist. It's definitely casting against type, I would say. On the other hand, most male spies probably don't look like Pierce Brosnan, either. But hey -- it's Bond film.
    What I objected to most of all about Richards was her character's name. There was absolutely no reason whatsover to call her Christmas -- it was only so they could insert that corny "I thought Christmas only came once year" joke at the end.
    Another odd thing about her character's name: when Brosnan first meets her, she says something to the effect that she's already heard all the jokes about her name. She says this as if there was this multitude of obvious, cliched jokes that would apply to someone by the name of "Christmas." But for the life of me, I couldn't think of a single one. Did I miss something there?
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    "Hey baby, I'd like to find you in my stocking."

Next?
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Her acting was terrible in TWINE but her body more tham made up for it IMO...especially when she's in those shorts. :v
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I personally don't see what all the fuss is about Denise Richards. Is she a bad actress? Yes, but not every actor who appears in a Bond film is capable of winning an Oscar. Was her performance bad? Yes, but IMO it wasn't as bad as either Halle Berry's or Eva Green's. At least, unlike with Halle and Green, I didn't want to strangle Richards. But finally, she's good looking! :D I mean, come on, we're talking about films in which the main character has never been with a conventionally unattractive woman! :))
    highhopes wrote:
    What I objected to most of all about Richards was her character's name. There was absolutely no reason whatsover to call her Christmas -- it was only so they could insert that corny "I thought Christmas only came once year" joke at the end.
    I don't know if that line is corny (perhaps it is) but I really loved that line. IMO it remains one of the series' truly great lines and among the absolute best closing lines of all time. :D I really love it. :D
    highhopes wrote:
    Another odd thing about her character's name: when Brosnan first meets her, she says something to the effect that she's already heard all the jokes about her name. She says this as if there was this multitude of obvious, cliched jokes that would apply to someone by the name of "Christmas." But for the life of me, I couldn't think of a single one. Did I miss something there?
    I can think of a few, but this happens to be a family site. :v
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    I think that Denise Richards was cast primarily for her physical attributes. They may have well called the character Tittie LaMour. It would have made more sense than calling her Christmas Jones. Her acting is one of the reasons I have a hard time enjoying TWINE as fully as I would like.

As to the closing line, I dislike it so much because it is such a stale line. It's been used for many years, long before TWINE premiered. As a matter of fact, I saw the line used in MAD magaine over 30 years before TWINE premiered. I had read a review of the movie before i saw it, and it mentioned that the movie closed with a really bad line involving Dr. Jones. It wasn't had to figure out what the line was going to be. It was an old, overused cliche.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I don't mind Denise Richards. Sure she looks like a cartoon character drawn by a horny adolescent, but at least she seems self-aware. That's a bit more than I can say for her co-star, Sophie Marceau.

Denise Richards can't act, has big breasts and is probably not that bright. Sophie Marceau can't act, has big breasts and is probably not that bright. I don't see why one should be described as a bimbo and not the other. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Richards is American. Marceau is French and her hot accent seems to fool men into thinking that they are interested in more than just her body.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    You may be right, JD, and I wonder if this may account for some loathing for AVTAK and DAF, as both are jokey but also feature US protagonists. A bit like having a Brummie Bond girl for us Brits, it may not be a bad thing but one might associate it with cornier stuff. So US fans may think a Yank in a role a bit too close to home.

I love Vegas in DAF, but visiting Vegsa recently, it didn't seem so great at first and if you were a local in any way it just might seem a come down to see it on screen, ditto US women perhaps?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:

Next?

"So Christmas, have you been naughty...or nice?" :x

Agree with alabama, although I'm still a big fan of TWINE.

However I would say that Tanya Roberts or Britt Eklund are just as bad at acting, but at least they aren't supposed to be portraying a nuclear scientist.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    "I'd like to get you under the mistletoe..." :)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • alabamabondfanalabamabondfan Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    I totally agree with whoever pointed out others in the film like Halle Berry, Britt Eklund and Tanya Roberts. They were all bad actresses.

I think I just found Denise Richards so hard to accept because she is pretty well known and if they'd just found an attractive lesser known person I probably wouldn't have noticed. And I started this thread before I'd seen Die Another Day. I've got to say, Halle may actually be worse than Denise. It's close.

I just started watching Bond movies in the last 6 months so the older movies don't bother me as much as the last three Brosnan films do.

Someone mentioned Eva Green (who I thought was brilliant) and compared her to Denise Richards. To me though, that is brilliant example to use to try and get my point across. I'd never seen Eva Green before CR. So I had no preconcieved notions about her. Imagine if they'd have cast Jessica Alba instead. Now, Alba is very attractive but she can't act and she's well known. So I would have based how I liked her character on more than just the material presented before me.

That's my basis for hating the casting of Richards and Berry.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    I much prefer European actresses to be the main Bond girls. Most of them have been relatively unknown (at least to me) when they appeared in their respective movies and their introduction added to their allure. I have never liked American actresses in the lead female role, ever since Jill St. John portrayed Tiffany Case.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    I don't mind Denise Richards. Sure she looks like a cartoon character drawn by a horny adolescent, but at least she seems self-aware.

Actually, that's a pretty good analogy. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Slazenger7 wrote:
    blueman wrote:

Gentlemen -- I didn't mean to suggest I couldn't think of any Christmas-themed jokes. I'm talking about jokes in which the word "Christmas" is fundamental to the punchline, as in Bond hoary jest after he enjoys the holiday (there -- I just thought of one of my own). I'm not sure yours really fit the bill. They're more like something Bond would say if he was coming on to Mrs. Claus.
  • rennervisionrennervision Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    Technically, Bond did make another Christmas joke: "I always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey."

And I agree with Dan Same. I love that last line. Guess we'll have to start a small club, because I realize I'm in the minority. :)
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    I'm in the minority that doesn't mind Denise Richards in TWINE at all. She's by no means the best Bond girl, but she's not the worst, either. She got some good moments, like her initial meeting with Bond.
    edited March 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    Slazenger7 wrote:

Gentlemen -- I didn't mean to suggest I couldn't think of any Christmas-themed jokes. I'm talking about jokes in which the word "Christmas" is fundamental to the punchline, as in Bond hoary jest after he enjoys the holiday (there -- I just thought of one of my own). I'm not sure yours really fit the bill. They're more like something Bond would say if he was coming on to Mrs. Claus.

I kinda took Jones's line about jokes to be a bit more all-encompassing, like she doesn't need to be reminded she has a wonky name, she heard all the variations in college, etc. Just her normal response to a smartass, endearing as it was.
    Bach? Let's not get carried away here...
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I think that Denise Richards was cast primarily for her physical attributes.

Name one Bond actress who wasn't. At least Richards, in my opinion, could act better than the following:

Ursula Andress
    Mie Hama
    Karin Dor
    Lana Wood
    Barbara Bach
    Lois Chiles
    Corinne Cleary
    Lynn Holly Johnson
    Kristina Weyborn
    Tanya Roberts
    Talisa Soto

I disagree with you about Lois Chiles...but that's about it. I just watched an interesting documentary on YOLT which talked about the casting of the two women in that film. I guess the producers were in Japan having a terrible time finding two women who could act as well as speak passable English. In their desperation they recruited two girls (Mie Hama and the one who played Aki) and brought them to England to take lessons in English. Aki came along fine but apparently Mie Hama just couldn't pick it up. The producers were going to send her back to Japan but when (the fellow who played) Tanaka talked to her about this she said that if that if they were going to do that she would commit suicide in the hotel. As a result she's still in the movie, spotty English and all. That being said I've always found her one of the most strikingly beautiful women in the whole series.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Lazenby wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I think that Denise Richards was cast primarily for her physical attributes.

Name one Bond actress who wasn't. At least Richards, in my opinion, could act better than the following:

Ursula Andress
    Mie Hama
    Karin Dor
    Lana Wood
    Barbara Bach
    Lois Chiles
    Corinne Cleary
    Lynn Holly Johnson
    Kristina Weyborn
    Tanya Roberts
    Talisa Soto

I disagree with you about Lois Chiles...but that's about it. I just watched an interesting documentary on YOLT which talked about the casting of the two women in that film. I guess the producers were in Japan having a terrible time finding two women who could act as well as speak passable English. In their desperation they recruited two girls (Mie Hama and the one who played Aki) and brought them to England to take lessons in English. Aki came along fine but apparently Mie Hama just couldn't pick it up. The producers were going to send her back to Japan but when (the fellow who played) Tanaka talked to her about this she said that if that if they were going to do that she would commit suicide in the hotel. As a result she's still in the movie, spotty English and all. That being said I've always found her one of the most strikingly beautiful women in the whole series.

I've always loathed Kissy, but I also am one that doesn't mind Richards either, she's by no means the best, but she handles the "independent yet vulnerable 90s woman" archetype. She's also quite beautiful.

However, I'd put Bach, Chiles, Roberts and Wayborn above her.
    edited March 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:

Ursula Andress
    Mie Hama
    Karin Dor
    Lana Wood
    Barbara Bach
    Lois Chiles
    Corinne Cleary
    Lynn Holly Johnson
    Kristina Weyborn
    Tanya Roberts
    Talisa Soto
    I have nothing against Richards, but Fish, I disagree about Andress, Dor, Bach, Chiles, and Weyborn. I think that their performance were highly superior to that of Richards in TWINE. IMO they were much more convincing in their respective roles.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    And I agree with Dan Same. I love that last line. Guess we'll have to start a small club, because I realize I'm in the minority. :)
    {[] We should start that club as I'm really beginning to suspect that we are indeed a minority. :# :))
    Hey, you guys have fun with that!
    Technically, Bond did make another Christmas joke: "I always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey."

I missed that other one. I kind of like that one better, with the double punchline. I guess it's not so much the joke but naming of the girl for no apparent purpose other than to validate the joke two hours later. It suppose it could have been worse: they could have called her "Nantucket."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,808MI6 Agent
    Denise Richards is a bad actress, but she is fun to watch {[]and she works well in some films like "Wild things". She looks like a topless modell (mostly on her day off, unfortunately:D)
    or a beach babe, but she doesn't convince at all as a scientist. There is no reason why a professor of physiscs can't look great, and in a Bond film she has to look great. But Denise doesn't come across as a smart woman (perhaps she is, I don't know her), but she looks more like a **** (she probably isn't, judging by the press and interviews).
    They should have cast an equally hot actress, but someone older who can act better and can convince in the role. Monica Bellucci or Jennifer Connelly would have been much better.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,808MI6 Agent
    I have been censured! I think that's a first. Hurrah!! The word started with SL and ended with UT.
    Congrats! {[]
    edited March 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    As for Ursula Andress, I don't think she was much of an actress in DR. NO. All she did was walk out of the water. And for that, she is considered the definitive Bond girl? Oh please! Shallowness at its worst.
    There was also that extraordinary speech, in which IMO she gave a better performance that Richards and Berry gave in their entire films.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Hard to argue that Denise Richards is the crappiest actress in a series that includes Tanya Roberts and Talisa Soto.

For me, though, the juxtaposition between a supposed nuclear physicist and a woman dressed for a wet t-shirt contest is a little hard to swallow. Isabella Scorupco is a gorgeous woman (IMO) but they made her nerdy in GE, which lent some credibility to the character. They should have done the same with Richards in TWINE.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I have to admit I didn't like Denise Richards, for me she was overshadowed by Sophie Marceau. Both looks wise and performance. Her acting didn't seem natural whether this was just the dialogue she had or not I don't know. She seemed a bit forced which always bugs me in an actor/actress.