could Denise Richards have been anymore miscast?

13»

Comments

• MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I'm a shallow chauvinist too Alex. :)) Even as a female I enjoy the Bond Girls, regardless of how crucial their plot lines. I also enjoy looking at them, and feel they are essential to every Bond film. Hopefully they will always be present.

Bond Girls are needed on Bond forums too, which is why I think I'll stick around. ;)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    Bond Girls are needed on Bond forums too, which is why I think I'll stick around. ;)
    One big amen on that, Mo! ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Monique wrote:
    I'm a shallow chauvinist too Alex. :)) Even as a female I enjoy the Bond Girls, regardless of how crucial their plot lines. I also enjoy looking at them, and feel they are essential to every Bond film. Hopefully they will always be present.

Yea Baby! :D :x
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Awww.. :x :x
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Of course, I do wonder how Bond would have figured out to dismantle a nuclear bomb. He may be very smart, but I don't think he was that knowledgeable.

He could try remembering what he did in TSWLM, or even OP.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    He could try remembering what he did in TSWLM

And read the instruction book?
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:

Great news,Mo!

And count me in as another one of those pesky and shallow fans of the Bond Girls.Of course they're essential-all of them:from Honey right up to Vesper.:)

And frankly,I'm having trouble understanding all the dislike for Christmas-whose good looks,trick name and Lara Croft wardrobe aside-was clearly intended to provide some comic relief to TWINE.It's not as if this-or any other Bond film- is exactly a prime example of cinema verite,after all.;)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Her character was supposed to be funny? Guess I missed all the laughs.

I think the character could have come off a bit better if they'd cast someone else, that's all (not that it would've made much difference in the final tally, IMO, still pretty thinly written but I guess that's a Bond tradition as well :# ).
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    There is no denying that Denise Richards is a pretty woman, but she does not have a classy look to her. To me, should always looks cheap.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I didn't think Richard's performance was that bad and in fact I think it starts out well. The scene where Bond first meets her, she has the right amount of suspicion and attitude to make it work. When she had to be physical I thought she was very good. I think what hurt her was some of the lines she was given to say, yelling all that plutonium nonsense wouldn't ring true from anyone. If anyone thinks she can't act watch Wild Things, an excellent movie and she has also turned some fine comedic roles in movies like Undercover Brother.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    If anyone thinks she can't act watch Wild Things, an excellent movie and she has also turned some fine comedic roles in movies like Undercover Brother.
    I don't think that Wild Things constituted a representation of great acting on anyone's part. ;) That said, I certainly didn't dislike Richards in TWINE. Yes, her performance wasn't great, but I don't think she was that terrible. I also think she was pretty good-looking and she certainly remains the last Bond girl that I can stand.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited April 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Perhaps many fans cannot fathom someone with her type of looks and her age (she was 28 at the time) playing a scientist. I guess one would have to look at the less talented Lois Chiles to be the physical prototype for a female scientist.
    Perhaps you're right about Chiles being a more believable physical prototype however I have to say that IMO Chiles was more talented than Richards. (Certainly her performance in MR was superior to Richard's performance in TWINE.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I don't think that Wild Things constituted a representation of great acting on anyone's part. ;)

How about Bill Murray as the dodgy lawyer? He was pretty good.
    edited April 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    How about Bill Murray as the dodgy lawyer? He was pretty good.
    He was, but I think he's a great actor. Full stop. Murray has always struck me as a very underrated actor who finally achieved the recognition that he deserved in Lost in Translation. I wouldn't put Richards in the same league as him. :D
    edited April 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I have to say that IMO Chiles was more talented than Richards. (Certainly her performance in MR was superior to Richard's performance in TWINE.)
    And I would have to say that it's a matter of opinion. Don't you think?
    Uh, yeh. That is why I (unlike you) used the phrase IMO. 8-) You know, I try to have a civilised discussion with you, yet you clearly don't know how. I give up. Someone else can respond to you in future. :s
    edited April 2007
    Anything a person posts is his own opinion, but that does not stop Lady Sylvia, er I mean Fish1941, from her usual negative comments to people. She whines when she has a different opinion and feels she is being attacked. But then she expresses her condescending POV far more vehemently and literally kills the discussion. Being one of the typically shallow males that inhabits this board, I have drawn my own conclusions as to the type of person Fish is. But I think I'll keep it to myself.

You're welcome.
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I have to say that IMO Chiles was more talented than Richards. (Certainly her performance in MR was superior to Richard's performance in TWINE.)

And I would have to say that it's a matter of opinion. Don't you think?

So i'd think that reiterating the same opinion over and over without adding anything new, which you seem to be doing in every thread that you post, doesn't make ones opinion,even yours,no more valid than anybody elses.

Your antagonistic style that borders on trolling and is on the verge of spamming in numerous threads, has driven me away from many topics on this board, not wanting to be wound up constantly i'll take a break from this forum.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,810MI6 Agent
    I want to get back on topic. "wild things" wasn't acting masterclass, but I don't think that's the point. IMO a movie is good if it manages to be what it wanted to be. If you don't like the film you chose the wrong film, but the film wasn't bad. "Wild things" managed just that, and Richards was perfect in it. it was the type of film she is good in.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Your antagonistic style that borders on trolling and is on the verge of spamming in numerous threads, has driven me away from many topics on this board, not wanting to be wound up constantly i'll take a break from this forum.
    There's no need Sean, so please don't! :)

On the third and final warning not to be so antagonistic, given in a general Moderators PM, the response was "Terminate my account and **** you!" So, :p , is all I could really say in reply to that.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Well done.
    RJJB wrote:
    Well done.
    I will second that. {[]
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    On the third and final warning not to be so antagonistic, given in a general Moderators PM, the response was "Terminate my account and **** you!" So, :p , is all I could really say in reply to that.

What an odd case. As "Lady Lavinia" on livejournal, she has posted numerous well-crafted Bond film reviews (many of which she also posted here); written fan fiction in Star Wars, Star Trek and other themes; and commented on current issues -- always in a thoughtful, pleasant manner. Here, all she seemed interested in was venting her anger, baiting people and pressing her political agenda. Strange...
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    Thanks to all the mods.
    This turned into a pretty funny thread.

Haven't seen WILD THINGS. Just didn't think she did much of anything as C. Jones in DAD, though admittedly she wasn't given a whole lot to work with. Sometimes, an actor can do a great turn with next to nothing, but alas sometimes not. Karin Dor in YOLT made a much more lasting impression, with arguably far less to work with. IMHO, Richards was simply a poor casting choice.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Well Blue you missed a good movie IMO, with plenty of twists, although I always felt the movie had one too many twists at the end. You also get to see a lot of Denise Richards. :o
    Best use of a smiley award goes to Barry. :D

But I'll check it out, I always see a $2 VHS copy at the local used CD/DVD store, might as well grab it and give it a whirl.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    What in her acting resume told them that she was believable as a nuclear scientist???

Perhaps it was her talent with chemistry?

Would it have helped if she had additional dialogue relating to her field?

BTW, she actually looks like my 5th grade teacher from way back when, but that's a whole different story...
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    DAWUSS wrote:
    BTW, she actually looks like my 5th grade teacher from way back when, but that's a whole different story...
    Lucky man. My teachers always looked more like Mrs. Whistler. X-(
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • sambwoysambwoy Berkshire, EnglandPosts: 90MI6 Agent
    I don't get why Richards was cast in TWINE. Indeed, she looks cracking in that film, but it doesn't gel. Like Berry, she's too mainstream to be in a Bond film. Plus the name 'Christmas Jones' is just stupid. That said, I don't really like TWINE as a whole. I remember seeing TWINE at the ABC Cinema in Aldershot only a few years before it closed (its a bingo hall now I think, and just up the road from where the hovercraft scene in DAD was shot!!). It was snowing when we left to go to Burger King, and it was one of those situations after seeing a movie that I hate- because I had seen TWINE with mum and dad, I was forced to admit that it was an excellent film, like when we went to see Chicken Run or Cats and Dogs or Dungeons and Dragons (!!!!) But seriously and honestly, TWINE really wasn't my cup of tea. At least now when I go to see films with my brother we are actually allowed to make constructive points like when we saw Die Hard 4 the other week. Richards is better suited in other genres or really anything that isn't Bond, like Wild Things, and to a lesser extent, Undercover Brother (!) :D
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    she may be a terrible actress but she's hotter than sin! So It really doesn't matter too much.