could Denise Richards have been anymore miscast?

Comments

• Mr St John SmytheMr St John Smythe Posts: 60MI6 Agent
    Well, she didn't give an Oscar performance in Twine, but honestly I don't think she was all THAT bad. I still take her over any of the "spy" or tomboyish Bond girls (TSWLM, TND, DAD, LTK). Those are the worst IMHO
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,808MI6 Agent
    I don't think Denise Richards is the worst actress in Bond history. It's just that demands are higher now then they were in some earlier Bond movies. It wasn't really a problem if the acting in say .... Moonraker wasn't eccactly Oscar material because of the overall tone of the film. There is also a expectation nowadays that there are real acting roles for women.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I always felt Denise Richards seemed an odd casting choice as well, and one of the main weaknesses of the film, but still, as has been said, there have been much worse performances in Bond films (Tanya Roberts, and pretty much all of the leading women in Moonraker and YOLT, imho- all totally unmemorable).

As for Ursula Andress or rather the character of Honey Ryder, I have never rated her highly. I've never really ascertained what relevance she really has to the plot- you could have taken her away and it wouldn't have lost anything, imho (and I rate Dr No highly otherwise). My personal fave Bond girls have always been Diana Rigg and Carole Bouquet who were far more than wallflowers, with some purpose in the storyline.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    Bach? Let's not get carried away here...

Who's getting carried away? I don't think that Bach can act . . . unless her mouth is shut.

I was just being silly. Sad but true, the Bond films have cast pretty over acting talent in most cases. Rarely do they converge, but when they do they are indeed memorable: Blackman, Rigg. Nod to Paluzzi and Green. But that's about it for clear above-and-beyond types. IMHO.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Green can't act either! So dull and boring throughout the whole performance. The only reason that she's memorable to me is that she looks like a vampire.

I'd put Scorupco's performance in GE before hers, WAY before hers.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Green can't act either! So dull and boring throughout the whole performance. The only reason that she's memorable to me is that she looks like a vampire.

That was funny... :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

LMAO!

I think there's a lot of middle ground, actually, for quite a few contenders. Hatcher worked for me very well. Seymour too. I think it's sorta, pick your flavor. But those two Avenger gals do seem to be in a class by themselves, IMO.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Oh shut up Rogue ;)
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:

Oh shut up Rogue ;)

:)) Hey, I agree with you. She's more like my avatar though than Nosferatu. ;)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Sorry, I'm just so used to fighting with you... ;)

I forgot we agreed :o on that topic! Thank you for reminding me!
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Oh shut up Rogue ;)

Oh stop it both of you...(recalls JFF's gender mix-up)...Yes, you're like boys with toys! :))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    There was also that extraordinary speech, in which IMO she gave a better performance that Richards and Berry gave in their entire films.
    You know, I would have responded to this, but I was too busy laughing . . . so I decided to let it pass.
    Nice. 8-) Reminds me why I try to resist from responding to you. 8-)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

I agree. Although I don't think she looks like a vampire (however I don't think she's good looking in the slightest), I didn't like her performance because she always seemed to have the same expression, I don't think she was able to convincingly portray different emotions, I didn't like her diction (did she even open her mouth?), I found her to be enormously annoying and really when she died, I was relieved more than anything.

BTW, Blue, you may have been joking about Bach, but I think her performance in TSWLM was terrific. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Agreed. Best performance by a mannequin ever. ;)
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Agreed. Best performance by a mannequin ever. ;)

"Vunn off de prinzipal capitalist exploiters off de Vest, sir."

My all-time favorite moment of unintentional hilarity in a Bond film. :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    My two cents worth

TWINE is my second favourite Bond film ever, and the casting of Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist was a brilliant idea. It was done purely for laughs, and should be taken as such; I surely did.

People, remember this is BOND we are talking about, so we shouldn't take such things so seriously. :p
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
    Fair enough. Guess I prefer it when they cast bit parts like bankers for laughs, and then not in a way that lampoons the genre while at the same time presenting it seriously. Richards as a nuclear scientist would've been better in an Austin Powers film.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Guess I prefer it when they cast bit parts like bankers for laughs, and then not in a way that lampoons the genre while at the same time presenting it seriously.
    Agree 100% with this sentiment (scrape your jaw off the floor, blue! ;)). This is why I like DAF -- which makes no bones about being a parody -- and dislike DAD, which is a farce that takes itself seriously.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Mr St John SmytheMr St John Smythe Posts: 60MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:

So basically what you're saying is that Denise Richards doesn't "look" like she has brains. And in the end, it all comes down to superficial appearances. I guess I was right about the shallowness of this society.

Well, let's don't extrapolate too much; everybody in this society didn't say that. Most of this thread has been about this or that person's acting; I myself tend to like this or that Bond girl based on more formulaic criteria, independent solely of acting OR looks (after all, what Bond girl hasn't looked great, and how many have given historic acting performances? Oh, yeah, none of them).

I agree with what you said about DAF and DAD though; I understand the differences that people point out, about one being self-conscious and the other not, but I still think neither is very good. Oh, well.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    So basically what you're saying is that Denise Richards doesn't "look" like she has brains. And in the end, it all comes down to superficial appearances. I guess I was right about the shallowness of this society.

And what did you say about shallowness? Unless you enlighten us with your wisdom, your comment is just more of your typically pompous feminist claptrap, which to me, sounds very shallow.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Perhaps the problem with Richard's performance was she did seem a little too young - granted it would have been possible for her to be a scientist. I think the problem with her being too young was that she came off as not being highly intelligent. She didnt seem as if she were an idiot, but nothing in her dialogue seemed to be overly intelligent.

As for Teri Hatcher - did she do a good performance? It wasnt as if she had much to mess up. Also, I deemed Telisa Soto to be very good in LTK.

And as for Christmas jokes...
    Bond: I know just what I want to put in your stocking :007)
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Perhaps. Another problem for me is that she always seems to be along for the ride without adding anything to the story. For example, it's Vesper who is the catalyst of many of the events in Venice. Natalya leads Bond to Cuba, disarms the GoldenEye on her own, commendeers a helicopter. Christmas always seems to be more an assitant to Bond rather than adding anything for herself.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Seeing as Honey was captured on the island with Bond and had no other means of escape, her presence was justified, wouldn't you say?
    Christmas Jones was just along for the ride. Her presence at the caviar factory is completely unnecessary. And I always hate it when she come floating by during the final confrontation with Renard.
    edited April 2007
    RJJB wrote:
    Seeing as Honey was captured on the island with Bond and had no other means of escape, her presence was justified, wouldn't you say?
    Christmas Jones was just along for the ride. Her presence at the caviar factory is completely unnecessary. And I always hate it when she come floating by during the final confrontation with Renard.
    I love Honey, but I have to say that I don't think her presence was any more necessary that that of Christmas (whom I don't mind at all.) Yes, DN would have been a far lesser film if Honey hadn't been in it, but I think it could have been done very easily. Now I love Honey, and I like Christmas, and I certainly think that their presence are justified :D but I think that most Bond girls (with a few exceptions such as Tatiana, Tracey and *Vesper) are not necessary.

*On a reverse side of this, one of my least favourite Bond girls (Vesper) also happens to be among the most necessary. :#
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I can feel the joy in this thread. Bond girls not neccessary? What an utterly depressing concept.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    I can feel the joy in this thread. Bond girls not neccessary? What an utterly depressing concept.

Well, Domino, Fiona Volpe & Paula Caplan were not necessary in TB. They were too much of a distraction from the underwater stuff. :D

Takes cover {:)
    Alex wrote:

Well, Domino, Fiona Volpe & Paula Caplan were not necessary in TB. They were too much of a distraction from the underwater stuff. :D

Takes cover {:)
    MNL, I've always trusted your judgement before, but haven't you taken a giant leap from your senses? :D
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Let's talk serious plot distraction and unnecessary characters... Jinx, anyone? :)

Edit: That's not actually fair, she's very attractive and lovely to look at. She emerged from the water in a bikini and ran around shooting guns acting tough, that's good enough for me! {[]
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited April 2007
    Y'know, I've always enjoyed the emergence of Honey, ala Venus, from the crashing shores. Happily humming her song and plying her trade. Does this equate chauvinism?

I also think Denise Richards is gorgeous, and every lass to grace the stages of a Bond film equally so. Does this too, make me shallow?

So be it, I am one shallow camper.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    On principle alone, I am fully prepared to dispute the notion that any Bond girl is "unnecessary" :o :x

?:) Are you crazy?? :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM