Novel 6 Suggestion & Criticism Thread

Comments

• The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    I have no problem stepping in early. I should be able to have my bit in by the three-day mark. Tomorrow I'm heading out on a 300 mile road trip, but I'll have my trusty laptop with me. :) I'll definitely be able to stay in touch as usual.

It seems Obsidian Masquerade might just be our new title, which sounds great to me!

What does everyone really want to see in this next bit? I suppose Bond should be sent to the nuclear base per the new M's instructions. Since Daya surely knows nothing of this scheme, should Obsidian direct Bond to meet up with her, or should Bond do this on his own terms? When Daya finds out what is going on, she will of course try to stop him. I could see the Doctor (a psychiatrist, conveniently) helping Bond regain his memory. Bond could be stopped from carrying out Obsidian's instructions before he is put under anesthesia (or hypnosis) and taken to hospital in London, where he meets up with Lissa again. Lissa could be put under hypnosis to try to remember the crucial detail of where Obsidian and Adriana may be found. Thus we have a link to the ending....

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself. Things will undoubtedly change along the way, and I surely can't write all this in my single bit, but what do you think? :D

By the way, sorry to see you go, Delicious. You've been a great asset to this project. :)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Perhaps Bond contacts Daya for help with information, but doesn't disclose what he's up to. She can tag along and eventually learns what his plans are. Maybe Bond even unwittingly drops a few clues that he's been brainwashed. Maybe in a discussion he refers to M as a 'he' - signalling to Daya that something is up.

Anyway, since Daya is not in Obsidian's pocket, I don't think he would purposefully direct Bond to her.

Perhaps Bond is also working shoulder to shoulder with Cobra - which would eventually bring him Daya and Cobra face to face.

We also need to remember to bring Jari's killer to justice, but I don't know if that's Cobra or Adriana.
    edited September 2007
    Okay, I should have my entry in shortly. Been a bit busy lately. I'm watching someone's house for them while they go to Wisconsin on vacation. With a dog and two cats plus my own cat, I've had a bit of a handful. And in order to take the dog somewhere, I have to use my uncle's pickup truck, which is a stick shift... I haven't used one of those in ages! Really though, everything's been great. I'll be able to write tonight and have my entry in by the end of the day or early tomorrow. :)

I think I'll have Obsidian direct Bond to work with Cobra, bringing him back into the picture. Bond, thinking Obsidian ("M") already knows about Daya's involvement, doesn't mention her. Daya is not mentioned by Obsidian, but she is one of the only things that Bond remembers. He remembers her vaguely as an information contact, thus goes to see her. Cobra and Daya will inevitably meet up, along with Obsidian's doctor meeting up wtih them and helping Bond get his memory back. I'm not sure if I'll get to all that in my entry, but it's a start. :)
    edited September 2007
    I've gotten the first part of my entry in, should have the rest finished by tomorrow. :)
    edited September 2007
    OK, entry's in. I realize it's a bit rough, but be sure to let me know what you think of it. :D

I've set it up so that Cobra is taking Bond somewhere (a place that the next writer will determine), and Bond is going to direct Cobra to his "information contact," which is obviously Daya. Cobra doesn't know this.

By the way, I figured it was time to give Bond his staple Aston Martin. :D

Feel free to leave comments, etc. :)
    I've made some minor adjustments to my entry. I've expanded on the Doctor's drugs that Bond was given in the laboratory (made it read a bit clearer), and polished it up in general. It's still rough, but it's better than it was. :)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Entry's in.Definitely needs more polishing.There are general descriptions of what 007 and Cobra now look like(plus Cobra's real name-maybe) and there's also some information about India's and Pakistan's missile programs and the weaponry itself.

Additionally,007 is starting to think very critically about what he's been "ordered" to do.Indeed,the more 007 considers his bizarre assignment the less he believes in it's validity.The mission simply doesn't make any sense to him.Bond's frustrated because there's only one portion of his memory that's failing him--everything else remains pretty clear.

With that thing in his ear,however,Bond could still fall under Obsidian's control.But maybe he can escape from Cobra and Daya can help him...
    edited September 2007
    What surprises me is the lack of comments from anyone about anything... :S

But anyway, your entry is great, WG. It highlights Bond's suspicions about this "new mission" of his. One thing I've noticed is that your entries are some of the most detailed ones--details we otherwise would have missed. It gives the story a very intellectual feel, more Bond-ish. :)

One thing I was wondering about, however: is Obsidian's fake MI6 office in London or India? I wrote it to be in India at Crucible Three, but the new entry says it's in London... If you think London is better, I can change my entry, of course. Although wouldn't it be better to have it take place in India where MI6 would far less presence? I would think someone would notice if Obsidian raided MI6's secret safehouse and made it his own.

Then again, that's just my two cents. I'm sure we'll figure something out. :)
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Sly-I always appreciate your critiques.As for descriptions?Again,thanks for the kind words.I really try to keep from overdoing it, but I think that giving each character/location/etc., a few small (and hopefully unique) details makes them easier to visualize.

And OOPS--I unintentionally overlooked the fact that Bond's still in India.My mistake!I'll rewrite the entry and fix that--it won't take very long.

===ALL FIXED--Full revision===

Okay--007's in India and he's in the Aston Martin which is being driven by Cobra.The plan is to reach Delhi,pick up some special weapons waiting there, and then head to Punjab--where the missiles aimed directly at Pakistan are located.
    My apologies, guys...I've been super busy this past week and have not had an opportunity to read the Sly's and WG's entries. Hence the lack of input :(

I hope to get caught up this afternoon. I look forward to reading what you guys have contributed!
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Okay fellas, I'm back from my holiday. Eleven European countries in 21 Days. To quote Mr Bond himself, 'Hardly relaxing, but most satisfying.'

I'll do my best to catch up with what's been going on in the next day or two. . .
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    As for comments on what has been written -I admit I have not been very forthcoming in that department but the main reason being that this tale has organically evolved into a very good tale and what with my own extremely busy life I have not had chances to comment as much as I should have -however it must be said that the lack of comments from myself usually indicates that I am happy with the progress of the tale and my almost speechlessness is an indication of satisfaction. :)

We have all brought good stuff to the tale, and many of the scenario's that have been written have been entertaining and at times informative. Bond is as ever how we want him to be and the other characters are written well enough that they are in keeping with the tale without being too overpowering -what has amazed me with the writing of this novel -our sixth is the smoothness and relatively painless progress we have all made -ideas have lead to more ideas and all have been pretty much included without us falling into the trap writing awful tat that can ruin the whole enjoyment of the tale.

We have worked together creating a piece of work that achieves our aims -we have successfully created a tale worthy of the genre. :)

So keep it up guys as the end is in sight!
    Finally got caught up on the last two entries. Excellent work all around.

Sly Fox, I particularly enjoyed the concept of Bond being a sort of unpredictable weapon. And that ending dialogue between Cobra and Obsidian was superb.

Willie, once again you have heightened the story with your level of details. The reference to the 'Golden Gun' was perfect (and also necessary IMO to let readers in on Bond's previous experience). In fact, I think the idea that Bond had been treated from brainwashing before might have had a strong influence on why he's already beginning to to key in on the odd events around him.

Am looking forward to seeing this continue...:)
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    As an update, I do have part of it written but I've been busy with RL things today
    Entry's in. I wanted a bit more action going again, so I had Bond escape Cobra's clutch and involved him in a car chase in his attempt to see Daya.

I was thinking that this could go in several directions with Bond and Daya. Obsidian could send a hit man after Daya and Bond discovers her dead (meaning his quest for answers gets more complicated), Bond sees Daya, and after he leaves the hitman kills her, or Bond and Daya meet, and the hitman is killed by Bond (Perhaps it could be Bond's method of "safe sex"?).

I was thinking Cobra could go to the nuclear site, in an attempt to lure Bond there, and with a few words from Obsidian, Bond ends up back under his control, to where he launches the missile. If Bond were to use one of Q's gadgets, perhaps MI-6 could reprogram the missile to send it to the middle of nowhere to be detonated...
    Good work,DAWUSS.I agree that we needed some action and you really came through!
    edited September 2007
    Agreed! It's good to see 007 back in action, DAWUSS.

I'll start putting together my part, but I want to think it through a bit. I suppose I'll have Bond arrange a meeting with Daya, which is interrupted by Cobra...brother and sister reunited.
    I like your new entry, DAWUSS. I agree that we were due for another action scene, and this one is quite nice. :)

Killing Daya is probably not a good idea, since that would take away Bond's primary love interest. If someone does have to die, this is what I would suggest: have Daya meet up with Bond, and then Cobra meeting up with them shortly after. Once brother and sister are reunited, Cobra could offer to help Bond and Daya in exchange for immunity (he certainly harbors no love for Obsidian). Yet he never gets to help because he is assassinated by Obsidian (or one of his goons). Daya vows to avenge her brother...

Whatever we do, I believe we need to get Lissa back in the story. I still say giving her (and Bond perhaps) forensic hypnosis with her in hospital is a way to give Bond the final lead of where to find Obsidian. Also, Daya and Bond have yet to have their obligatory love scene... :D
    I was wanting to do it, but it was too far away from where this story is at currently. I kinda suggested how I would have done it, though
    Excellent work DAWUSS! I think the idea of having Cobra assassinated is definitely a way to go -and having both 007 and Lissa get treatment to reverse their current mental states is also the way forward.

Remember though we do not have long now as we will need to wrap this all up soon so that the editing process can begin next month I really think we should only allow about four more weeks for this draft to be certain of the timescale needed.
    edited September 2007
    Some great ideas, everyone. I hope to write my next contribution tonight.

Here are some thoughts I have for bringing the story to a full resolution.

1) Obviously, we will need to bring about the demise of Obsidian.

2) Cobra and Daya should IMO reconcile before Cobra is either assassinated or mends his ways and dies a martyr perhaps to save Daya

3) Rub out Adriana

4) Foil Mr. Lim and his 'nuke Pakistan' plot

5) Locate and take out of commission Obisidian's five 'Crucible' bases (this would probably be a good 'epilogue' to the story as several 'slaves' will be freed)

6) Cure Bond's condition and have Lissa 'recover'

7) minor point: touch on MI6's computer woes so the reader realizes everything will be 'okay' by the end of the story.

...of course, none of this has to happen in any particular order. And it's very possible that I overlooked something.
    How long would it take for the mental conditions to be treated? It doesn't sound like it would be an overnight thing...

One thought would be to have Cobra (and Daya?) ruin the nuclear missile attempt while Bond is being treated for his head condition.

Another would be for Bond to launch the missile but with some of Q's gadgets (I don't think we've used them too much at this point), the missile could be reprogrammed to head off course and into the middle of nowhere where it would do little to no harm. Of course, MI-6's computer problems may have to be resolved here first, though...
    edited September 2007
    Frankly,I think all 007 really has to do is take that receiver out of his ear.That way he won't fall under the long distance vocal control of Obsidian.007 still knows who he is,and there's only about a day that's unaccounted for.Surely he can work around that.And if Cobra tells him what occured on that day then there's really not much of a problem.:)
    Okay. my bit is in. I set the scene in the Tughlaqabad ruins, which I thought was a very Bondian setting. You can check the area out on Google Earth.

Anyway, I left Bond, Cobra and Daya in a face-off. It's up to SC1 on where he wants to take it from there.
    Ok my time constraints may hold things up a little I'm afraid -but I do hope to have my bit in by Sunday at the latest. (unfortunately I work every weekend my days off are Tuesday's and Wednesday's) So anyway I'm planning it tonight and tomorrow and will hopefully have time to post it on Saturday -but if I haven't got time it will then be on Sunday sometime around 7pm.

BTW don't forget to check out The Spider and The Fly! :D
    darenhat wrote:
    Okay. my bit is in. I set the scene in the Tughlaqabad ruins, which I thought was a very Bondian setting. You can check the area out on Google Earth.

Anyway, I left Bond, Cobra and Daya in a face-off. It's up to SC1 on where he wants to take it from there.

Do you write for a living,Daren?I ask because this entry(like your others)is really excellent!
    darenhat wrote:

Do you write for a living,Daren?I ask because this entry(like your others)is really excellent!

I concur. This is great! :D

By the way, is Golrush still away? If so, does this mean we should do as before, with myself picking up from where Scaramanga leaves off in his next bit?
    edited September 2007
    darenhat wrote:

I wish!

Thanks for the comps, guys...but there's no shortage of talent from anywhere in this group! SC1 has assembled a strong writing team, and I find myself in esteemed company. I'm enjoying seeing this work take shape. {[]

As for Golrush, I believe he said he was back. I'm sure he's got a lot of reading to catch up on. That may be why we haven't heard from him for a bit.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I am very definitely back, and will be contributing my next piece in my normal slot in the running order. I am still trying to catch up with what has been written while I was away - real life has been allowing little time for fan-fic in the last few days. . . :(
    Ok my bit is in -not very much in it - but hopefully the reunion between brother and sister is explained well enough and that it is set up to move forward well enough.