Last Event Attended

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Last night I saw Hayseed Dixie at the Bolton Soundhouse....a new venue for me and, at last, I get to see a band I've waited 5 years to catch live !

The Soundhouse is a small venue, holds a couple of hundred or so...but it's great to see bands such as Hayseed Dixie in....I've never seen a band enjoy themselves so much on stage before....and they fair rattled through the songs...they started with AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long...and proceeded to rattle the songs out for the next 100 mins !!

A great night out...and I fully intend to catch them live again soon -{
    YNWA 97
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    A few recent ones...

Saw the Goo Goo Dolls at Jones Beach Theater on July 30. Solid show, played all their hits plus some new releases. Excellent power pop, very tight playing, no embellishments or long jams, just the unadorned songs. Johnny Rzeznik has a great voice for outdoor venues.

Took the family to see John Mayer in New Jersey on August 3. Unlike the Goo Goo Dolls, everything was adorned here. Large band, lots of audience byplay, extended solos on nearly every song. He's kind of a dorky, yet self-centered guy who talks way too much, but he is a real virtuoso on guitar. He whipped out all his Hendrix tricks and succeeded with them all. Unfortunately, while I love his music, his voice is a bit reedy for a large outdoor setting. To his credit, he played for over 2.5 hours -- maybe because he was in Joisey, he was trying to emulate Springsteen.

Finally, not really an event, but a fun surprise...last week while vacationing with my family in San Francisco, we were walking to dinner in the Marina district. On the way to the restaurant, we passed a bookstore with an unusual amount of activity for 7:30pm on a Saturday. Lo and behold, we had stumbled on to a talk/book signing from one of my favorite authors, Carl Hiaasen. He was on a tour discussing his latest Florida-based farce Star Island. We listened to him speak for about 15 minutes, then he opened it up to questions, and yours truly got picked to ask one.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent

Finally, not really an event, but a fun surprise...last week while vacationing with my family in San Francisco, we were walking to dinner in the Marina district. On the way to the restaurant, we passed a bookstore with an unusual amount of activity for 7:30pm on a Saturday. Lo and behold, we had stumbled on to a talk/book signing from one of my favorite authors, Carl Hiaasen. He was on a tour discussing his latest Florida-based farce Star Island. We listened to him speak for about 15 minutes, then he opened it up to questions, and yours truly got picked to ask one.

Glad you enjoyed your time in San Francisco. Did you go anywhere else in the city like the De Young? Too late now, but they have a special exhibit The Birth Impressionism Masterpieces from the Musee D'Orsay.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    That's cool! He's a great writer! B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    planning to go see The Young Dubliners a few towns over on the 27th. my friend is gonna come up and visit me, and where better to go hang out then at a concert!

the Young Dubs do traditional Irish songs with an upbeat kick...covering some songs by Shane McGowan as well.

gonna be fun :D
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Well, it has been an exciting half week for me.

On Wednesday I drove about 50 miles to see one of my favorite musical groups: The Dave Matthews Band. I wasn't sure what kind of setlist to expect I would take anything this band had to offer. The setlist was unpredictable and it made for an exciting night. I'm glad I went to this show.

On Thursday I went to the De Young museum in San Francisco for the Birth Of Impressionism: Masterpieces from the Musee d'Orsay. I wasn't expecting the crowd this show had. It made it a little annoying trying to move around, but this didn't matter. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see some great paintings. From The Birth Of Venus to the Floor Scrapers and The Fifer. Any many other awesome pieces of work, even Whistlers Mother. I probably never get to see these again.

On Friday I travled about 134 miles to see another concert. Who did I see you ask? Well, The Dave Matthews Band. Your probably wondering why I would travel so far to see a concert. Well, they change their setlist nightly, and even though there were a couple repeats in the setlist this show was even better than Wednesday nights concert. Yes, it's possible to be better than you were a night or few nights before, trust me, I know. How do I know......

On Saturday I once again went to see The Dave Matthews Band, this time only a few miles away from home. I didn't know what to expect from these guys on this night. They pulled out all the stops. Opening with a song that hasn't opened a concert since 1999 and a fan favorite also. After the first song they went into another song that was pre-2000 recorded, after that, yet another pre-2000 song. DMB could have ended the show after this and I would of been happy. The rest of the show continued smoothly. It had a couple low-points, but they didn't matter because they went all out for this show. Most of the fan base on the East Coast wanted a show like this played at their venue and are jealous the West Coast got it. The tapes are out there and people are listening and say this is the best show DMB has put on this summer and it'll be hard to top. I'm happy with that.

So here I sit at home and relax and recover from an exciting four days. I still have six days left on my vacation, what else should I do?
    Mr Martini wrote:

On Wednesday I drove about 50 miles to see one of my favorite musical groups: The Dave Matthews Band. I wasn't sure what kind of setlist to expect I would take anything this band had to offer. The setlist was unpredictable and it made for an exciting night. I'm glad I went to this show.

oooooh jealous. DMB was just here in Colorado for our Mile High Music Festival (that I'm pretty sure was Dave's idea 'cause DMB headlines both days every year)...and of course I couldn't afford to go see them on their last tour for a year D:

Pendragon wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

oooooh jealous. DMB was just here in Colorado for our Mile High Music Festival (that I'm pretty sure was Dave's idea 'cause DMB headlines both days every year)...and of course I couldn't afford to go see them on their last tour for a year D:

I know they played it two years ago because they released a cd of their performance. I also know people go and tape their performances. If you wanted to get the performance on tape, it's easy to do. The setlist looks ok. If your curious, here's the set list from the Mile High Show:

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453056822&tid=110&where=2010
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Pendragon wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

I know they played it two years ago because they released a cd of their performance. I also know people go and tape their performances. If you wanted to get the performance on tape, it's easy to do. The setlist looks ok. If your curious, here's the set list from the Mile High Show:

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453056822&tid=110&where=2010

ooooh! thanks, Mr. M.

I'd really like to see them play live sometime...it's a goal :p

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    My last event attended, amazingly enough, was my own---a four-hour book signing for B&A at the Owl's Roost Coffee Bar and Bookstore, in Lincoln, Illinois. Happily, it was a sellout...

Pmfki.jpg

The tropical print shirt with old cars in its design was not a coincidence :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Was at Sonny Rollins's 80th birthday celebration at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan last Friday. I took my mother-in-law, who lives for jazz and also just turned 80.

Extraordinary performance by the "Saxophone Colossus" who, despite his hunched posture and shuffling gait, still blows the horn like a man of 30. He was joined by his regular 4-piece backup band and also by several other special guests, including some similarly legendary old-timers like the drummer Roy Haynes, guitarist Jim Hall, and alto saxophonist Ornette Coleman. What a privilege to see these guys, whose records from 50 years ago are still in my regular rotation. Pinch me.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    ^ that's amazing. I'd kill to see them in concert.

nothing more exciting than an Anthropology Club meeting for me this week, I'm afraid. planning to go to an anthro conference though...that's a big deal.

• Went to Bellahouston Park for the Pope's visit yesterday (Thursday). I'm not religious or anything but since College was closed because of the traffic disruption and since it's only a 30 minute walk down the Paisley Road, I thought I might as well go and be a part of it. It's not often you have the freakin' Pope in your local park, after all.
    That's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Took the lovely Hardygirl out to see a production of Jersey Boys, which was awesome! A lively show with great musical numbers--probably the closest I'll ever come to seeing a real-live performance by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Went to Bellahouston Park for the Pope's visit yesterday (Thursday). I'm not religious or anything but since College was closed because of the traffic disruption and since it's only a 30 minute walk down the Paisley Road, I thought I might as well go and be a part of it. It's not often you have the freakin' Pope in your local park, after all.

No, but it's not unusual to find his pals there, at certain times of the day... ;)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Went to the local dog track last night (a big group of us - for my birthday next week) - We were in the upstairs area, (rather than the hard core spit and sawdust section downstairs....) in the pub section - and had a fantastic night.

Bet on every race - won some, lost more.... and I've now lost my voice with all the shouting I was doing :))

Then after a quick trip into town, to a bar - sambuca and Jägerbombs - oh my they are good.....but oh my does my head hurt this morning :#

Bloody good though - well worth the pain I'm in now :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    saw The Street Dogs last wednesday night with a buddy. amazing show from them as always (this was time #4 seeing them), and I came away with war wounds from the pit, but overall, a good night was had :D

• DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Went to see Michael Bublé at the Sandalford Winery two weeks ago as part of his Crazy Love Tour. It was my third Bublé concert, I've been to all his concerts in Perth. Needless to say, I'm quite a big fan. I was in the second row, and I thought it was money well spent.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
    My best friends fiance's 40th birthday bash. (Ooops, showing my age here :)) )

They hired the entire pub - The Parrot - one of the oldest pubs in Canterbury - in fact one of the oldest buildings in Canterbury, built in 1310 :o

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJYN9CbGSoih9y0wDPqtRzpzW9Efwahe9h6IfNUkVGgQ8iq_If

It is a beautiful building - with really traditional style insides images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7uq1cOAPGdCr6M0g7KGNgDb67XxMHz6f1V969qRNn_mp7hXq_2g

A great night was had.... and it started to get very messy (however, I was driving, so was being a very good girl :)) ) Although I saw more than several dozen Jägerbomb's pass the bar. Caught up with friends I hadn't seen for ages, including meeting what seemed like the entire Kent Police force.... (mostly the special armed forces lot....) and I tell you, they are the worst for the Jägerbomb's :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Just got back from Maiden. T'was the last night of their Final Frontier tour. Played here in Tampa. I had three very good center row seats. My sister and my best friend accompanied me.

The boys played a short, two hour gig, with only one encore, but I was happy to hear the classics.

Go Irons!
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Went to the LA Festival of Books, where publishers and authors known and unknown shared their latest works. Definitely a treat to see such a wide variety of titles, though I only wish I wasn't on my self-imposed rule of buying no new books until I sell some of the ones I currently have to offset the cost.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
    Whitstable Oyster and Beer fesitaval

Whitstable-annual-Oyster-Festival-150x150.jpg

Every year, this traditional Kentish seaside town celebrates it's local fair of oysters and Beer. I went with several friends - to soak up the atmosphere, see the landing of the oysters - a traditional ceremony with the mayor of Whitstable.... and then to sample the beers of the Whitstable brewery - Oyster ale et al....

And of course to enjoy the freshly shucked oysters on the pier.... lovely :D
    Beer wasn't bad either... :))
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

Every year, this traditional Kentish seaside town celebrates it's local fair of oysters and Beer. I went with several friends - to soak up the atmosphere, see the landing of the oysters - a traditional ceremony with the mayor of Whitstable.... and then to sample the beers of the Whitstable brewery - Oyster ale et al....

Sorry lex, you're going to hate me....

But the premiere (bleeches) of cowboys and aliens in San Diego last night... B-)
    ke02eww wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

But the premiere (bleeches) of cowboys and aliens in San Diego last night... B-)

Well hate is a very strong word..... BUT because you didn't even think to ask.... it might be fitting :# (and to think, eating all those oysters.... for nothing... ;) )

And for that, you can forget your beer..... :))
    Lexi wrote:
    ke02eww wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

Well hate is a very strong word..... BUT because you didn't even think to ask.... it might be fitting :# (and to think, eating all those oysters.... for nothing... ;) )

And for that, you can forget your beer..... :))

And fresh from whitstable... If you're going to get fresh that's how to do it :007)

Then again some of us don't need props to make the moment :v
    ke02eww wrote:

No, from the sounds of it, you just watch instead.... :))
    Lexi wrote:
    ke02eww wrote:

No, from the sounds of it, you just watch instead.... :))

No Lexi, not JUST watch, but sometimes a breather is useful.... Past 50 the stamina and adrenaline ain't what it used to be.. ;%

Besides, watching can be just as much fun as participating.... You should give it a go sometime lexi, you strike me as being adventurous :x

Semper
    Herne Bay Festival.

Rather by mistake than by design, however - what a beautiful part of Kent. I've lived here for over 7 years, and never been here before (shame on me...) Anyway, there were all sorts of shows, including Bangra dancing - and street theatre... stalls of all varieites, and then of course we hit the arcades - how can you visit the seaside, without hitting the penny machines? :))

We all had so much fun... and the weather was beautiful. Could have been Spain, or Italy.... just goes to show, Britian does have some lovely coasts.

IMAG0324.jpg
    IMAG0346.jpg
    IMAG0330.jpg
    (My boy is the one in the green T shirt :D)
    Love the summer... and all the festivals that go with it... this time it was the Faversham Hop Festival :D

Faversham is home to one of the oldest brewery’s in the UK... Shepherd Neame - and coupled with the fact that the area still grows its own hops to make the beer, it only seems proper to celebrate it with a festival... (Basically a 3 day excuse to sell lots and lots of beer :)) )

Great day out - and very family oriented (although Sat night gets a bit messy... ;) ) I went down on Sunday to watch the parade... and of course, taste a few ales B-)

2_59_EB84_D9_981532_800.jpg
    IMAG0434.jpg
    IMAG0445.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    Lexi wrote:
    Love the summer... and all the festivals that go with it... this time it was the Faversham Hop Festival :D

Faversham is home to one of the oldest brewery’s in the UK... Shepherd Neame - and coupled with the fact that the area still grows its own hops to make the beer, it only seems proper to celebrate it with a festival... (Basically a 3 day excuse to sell lots and lots of beer :)) )

Great day out - and very family oriented (although Sat night gets a bit messy... ;) ) I went down on Sunday to watch the parade... and of course, taste a few ales B-)

2_59_EB84_D9_981532_800.jpg
    IMAG0434.jpg
    IMAG0445.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg

Looks fun lex.....but what's markus doing there in a grape-strewn hat? :o