Last Event Attended

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    FFS Lexi... I'll have to attend a coked-up Mayfair sex party to redress the suburban flavour of this Events thread now... :))

Even then you'd prob hit back with a cheese and wine party. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    FFS Lexi... I'll have to attend a coked-up Mayfair sex party to redress the suburban flavour of this Events thread now... :))

Even then you'd prob hit back with a cheese and wine party. :D

oooh, now that sounds interesting - you better take pics AND vids of that one :))

mmm, wine and cheese was so 80's.... however, I am off to the dog track on Sat, far more urban I feel! :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Well it was Camden last night.... to see Katie Voegel at Dingwalls...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6DCxYwR7KveIY5H0yTVkOWwtZzD3wGkbOrDAYa3Rs4iOe5Umm

Her vocals are a younger Sheryl Crow... with more of an acustic accent - she has an amazing voice - although I'm not sure I could listen to a whole album in one go.... however she did a couple of great covers... Bruno Mars and Lazy song... plus a Britney Spears track... however, the location and a chance to visit Camden made the evening a great night... B-)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8HUNq-HWOVBZAaX2iRn3Tylig9TKv-giqjJDyY5oXyugrc9DY1g

However, her support act, David J Roche was superb...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPnA-mDDD5ovXRvgk-KxbSmrr61AcWrccCw78z_56uAnkJO89iqA
    Katie and David

Here is my favourite track he performed... Bones - now his album I could listen too... :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    There have been complaints about why women singer songwriters don't get the credit they deserve, and above you see why. What sort of musician actually dyes their hair between numbers! 8-)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • smudgedudesmudgedude Posts: 162MI6 Agent
    There have been complaints about why women singer songwriters don't get the credit they deserve, and above you see why. What sort of musician actually dyes their hair between numbers! 8-)

wait...what's this?
    smudgedude wrote:

wait...what's this?

It's Nap attempt at humour.... don't worry you get used to it :))

I had to use stock photography... as my camera on my phone, although fantastic when it's light... is Cr@p in a dark venue... so when I posted images of the the 2 artists I saw (using pics from internet) Nap was pointing that out.....

Perhaps I should have used my blurry ones instead... :#
    edited September 2011
    Yes, my wit can be a bit dry at time. :#

But topical too, if you read this week's Evening Standard letters.

My last event, btw, was watching Spurs get thrashed by Man City 5-1. :(

EDIT: But if you want funny, go to http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2032964/In-I-fret-love-rival.html

for more on mad Liz Jones and her rock star relationship - see handful of comments below followed by wonderfully po-faced 'We are no longer accepting comments for this article' instruction.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Well it was the dog track last night.... for a benefit evening for a friend of mine who lost a family member to Cancer...

sittingbourne.jpg
    Note: This photo is stock photography, I was far too busy in the bar to take pics ;)

Over £500 was raised - and every little helps... a great fun night, even if it was for a sobering cause -{
    I went to see Trevor Nunn's production of The Lion in Winter at the Haymarket, starring Robert Lindsay as Henry II and OHMSS's Joanna Lumley as Eleanor of Aquitaine. You may have seen the film with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn.

Utter rubbish! For a start, they're all talking English when of course they were all French at the time. I ask you, what's the point of my logging onto youtube to do French courses in my lunchbreak in preparation, when they're all talking our lingo? A waste of time.

What's more, there was a Christmas tree in one scene. It's 1183. Xmas trees were brought over by Prince Albert in Victorian times. Only 700 years out.

Okay, okay... nothing wrong with it and the set was wonderful, the theatre is lovely, sort of old-style ratio pan and scan dimensions. That said I got the cheap £15 tickets you can pick up on the day, and it was front row restricted view because of the high stage. Never mind Lion in Winter, you'd have to be Giraffe in Winter to see over it.

Lindsay and Lumley were good, nothing wrong there. You could argue they were better cast than the film version as far as age goes, around 50 and 62 respectively as Henry and Eleanor were in real life. Lindsay was not unlike O'Toole really in how he played it, but generally you could say the role was surely meant for Rex Harrison - I don't know if he ever did it, but he was the sort who got these roles in the 60s. Lumley was very good, but I dunno. None of them really seemed neurotic enough for the kind of machinations, the dialogue they were spouting. Miranda Richardson would be good, in Queenie mode, as Eleanor.

The three sons were okay but not quite right in various ways. The teenage John, well, it's hard to see how or why a king would find him favourite, he was played like he was Kevin the Teenager by an actor who was a dead ringer for Ralph Bates; the surname was different though. A good actor, but directed to be too comic. Richard was good but kind of bland. Geoffrey, well, played by the most charismatic actor of the trio, but this it made it hard to see why the character should be overlooked by his parents, and the script suggests he's a plump, shadowy, sly fellow whereas the actor has the slyness but is a strapping lad.

The actor who played King of France was good, the role played by Timothy Dalton in the film. Otherwise, however, it lacked a certain bite and of course John Barry's wonderful music - that said the actual medieval lute style stuff worked well in the production. Of course, Lindsay is known for his sitcom work and that sometimes takes the edge of things a bit. The funny lines should take you by surprise more, which they don't when played by a sitcom actor.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    Participated in my first SCCA road rally in years. The run started at the Fiat dealership in McKinney and ran to Paris Texas, where they were having their annual fall festival, with a stop at a winery near the halfway point where we picked up a few bottles of local wine. We kept the top up during the evnt so the wind wouldn't make communication and paperwork organization an issue, but had the top down all the way back.
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,597Chief of Staff
    Last Friday I went to the MEN Arena to try and recapture some of my mis-spent youth by watching Duran Duran in concert....say what you like about these boys - and many will - but they can still play live....great gig, seen them about 8 times live now and they never disappoint....

here's a taster of the gig - which was filmed on the night too...

Is There Something I Should Know

Planet Earth

-{
    YNWA 97
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I love Duran Duran -{
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I love Duran Duran -{

I thought you where more into Barry Manilow :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I can listen to it :) he is doing quite well for his age :D
    Kaiser Chiefs last night at the Manchester Academy.....great gig....they were really back on form playing live...they had two support acts...first up was Native Tongue, from London and only been around about 6 months...not bad...second on was Frankie & The Heartstrings...ok...but nothing special...

The Kaisers played a mix of songs from their albums and two new songs....Listen To Your Head...taken from last nights gig...and On The Run...

Ricky Wilson was on superb form...bounding around the stage all night...

And they played my fav from their latest album....so that was good :D

Starts With Nothing -{
    YNWA 97
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    weekly meeting of friends at a coffee place here...for laughs, story time (Romantically Apocalyptic read out loud by the most famous ze Captain cosplayer on the web...totally legit), Apples to Apples and general chatter.

(read RA from the beginning http://romanticallyapocalyptic.com/1 )
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Berlinale......Streep didn't sign diddly squat , stood there for 6 hrs X-(
    Just before it drops off the first page, one of us got to an event last night. Saw Adam Ant at Proud Camden, he was in good form especially as he was sectioned a few years ago, great stuff and in fine voice.

Here's Deutcher Girls which actually he didn't play.

Ant was from the early 1980s and did stuff like Prince Charming and Stand and Deliver, great videos, way ahead in the game. He performed those last night, it was in aid of Debra, a charity for severe skin problems. Had a bite at the Lock Tavern beforehand.

Nowadays Ant plays up the Captain Jack Sparrow angle a fair bit.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Last night I saw Florence & The Machine at the MEN Arena...great gig, but I do prefer the smaller venues...two support acts were on...Spector, nice enough - great lead guy though and plenty of good banter with the crowd....second up were The Horrors...was really looking forward to watching these - and they didn't disappoint at all...great set...must get their album now !

Here's Florence from last nights gig What The Water Gave Me...

And here's clips of the other two...

The Horrors

Spector

-{
    YNWA 97
    Well yesterday it was my birthday... so I went to see Jason Allen a great singer (a sort of tribute act to Micheal Buble) - it was set in The Pizza Express Music room in Maidstone.

Great songs.... and a great evening. Although probably one of the first birthday's I've come home sober :))

Bubbles tonight though :D
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Happy birthday lexi -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Happy birthday lexi -{

Thanks MiniG... :x
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Happy Birthday from here, too Lex :x :x :x
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I went to watch Jimmy Carr last night at The Lowry...it was a 'try out' night for his next tour...he was on stage for over 2 1/2 hours ! A very, VERY funny gig...and very, VERY, VERY rude :))
    YNWA 97
    Went to see After Miss Julie, in its final week at London's Young Vic near Waterloo Station.

It is an adaptation by Patrick Mawber of Strindberg's Miss Julie, 'updated' to 1945 and the eve of the Labour landslide, set in a country house where class divisions rule. It's a three hander, between the young, presumptious tease and lady of the house of the title, her father's chauffer and the cook, his fiance.

Great acting, small theatre, have to say the dialogue wasn't up to last night's Pulp Fiction mind. But generally compelling, it builds. I must admit, I didn't get the ending quite. There are some good things in London at the moment, Noises Off has had great reviews.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Last week I went to watch Dara O'Briain at The Lowry in his new stand-up show called Craic Dealer....Dara was, again, on top form....there aren't many better live comics out there today....but just remember to not sit in the front row unless you want to chat and end up being part of the show...a fact I forgot to remember when booking the ticket ;%

Can't wait for his next tour -{
    YNWA 97
    Well I went to Teddington Studios on Sunday - to watch a new TV programme being recorded.

It's to be shown on BBC3 - soonish I think, and it's called The Hit Machine. Basically a panel of guests discuss the latest tracks that have been released, and it's then put in a 'machine' that then depicts how much of a hit it's going to be.

It was hosted by Greg James - a Radio 1 DJ and we saw 3 live acts, Maximo Park - with their latest track hips and Lips
    Stoochie - a great song, Black heart and Ben Howard.

The panel was Amanda Ghost, record producer and song writer, Jake Shears, from the scissor sisters, Adam Deacon, actor and rapper, and Joel Drommit, a stand up comedian, and MTV presenter.

It was an interesting show... and facinating to see what goes on as an audience member. The warm up act was hilarious...and it was a really fun way to spend a Sunday....
    Not really an event, but I checked out the new Leicester Square after its revamp. It is of course where Skyfall will be premiering although the BFI Imax will be a better venue for some.

It's not massively different, from what I can see. One gripe is that the shiny silver metal railing or fence around it doesn't actually look quite right, doesn't look like it's metal from a distance, but appears a bit ad hoc, like it's some wooden fence slung up. Otherwise it seems nice and airy enough, not as grimy and Victorian as before. Nice for a balmy summer evening.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I went to see Noel Coward's Hay Fever, at the Coward Theatre just around the corner from Leicester Square.

It's a comedy about an eccentric, fractious, bohemian-type family, quite well off, who unwittingly find they have each invited someone to stay for the weekend out in the country, without informing the other. The guests who arrive find they get little in the way of hospitality and seem to be on the wrong end of their family pranks.

Lindsay Duncan, one of the scheming women in HBO's Rome, is the lead, Oilvia Coleman from Peep Show is there too, while one of the Fox brood play the young son. Jeremy Northam is unrecognisable as the donnish diplomat.

I enjoyed it, great playing by the leads, though Northam (who I didn't recognise) played it too broad for my tastes and seemed to have wandered in from a funnier play. Some snags, really you can't sympathise with a family like that, especially these days. It should be Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf crossed with Ab Fab, you should enjoy the family's monstrousness and be egging them on. But here, I thought, hmmm, you're just obnoxious really, why would I side with you? In the days of the posh boy Coalition, it's not charming to see these types behave rudely, whereas in Coward's day it might have been funny and liberating.

It's not dissimilar to The Lion in Winter, which was shown at Christmas at the Haymarket, and Abigail's Party currently just around the corner, all about social akwardness with visitors.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The Queen's Pageant, supposedly.

But of the millions who descended on the capital, over a third got to see nothing I'd wager, just milling around fractiously, trying to get near the river and failing.

That said my sister came out of a cafe near the King's Road and came face to face with the Queen, who was being driven up to the royal barge, so she did alright.

I got to see a ginger cat on a lead, that was the highlight of my day.

Roger Moore 1927-2017