5 Bond films for Craig

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Craig's taken a bit more of an intelligent career path and done some really interesting stuff, but he's also made no bones about the fact that he wants to win an Oscar: he wants to do interesting stuff but also embraces the idea of being a movie star; not just actor, I think.
    If he wants to win an Oscar, wouldn't that make him an actor rather than a movie star? ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    superado wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Just as I thought it a paradox for Dalton to accept the role, the thought of 5 films for Craig really surprised me and this speaks for how highly I think he regards his craft.

I know what you mean, but somehow I think we all give credit to Dalton for being more of a 'serious' actor than he actually is; perhaps he started with the classics and a bit of Shakespeare or whatever, but would a real luvvie have done Charlie's Angels and Flash Gordon? :)

I don't know about Charlie's Angels, but maybe he had a tactical lapse with Flash Gordon (which I liked very much) thinking if Mike Hodges, Max Von Sydow and Topol, it must have been a good move! Actually, I'm more concerned about Hot Fuzz...

He's obviously had quite a few tactical lapses in his career then.

I sort of agree the em , here ( :o ).

I dont think he's quite the 'luvvie' everyone thinks. Perhaps in his early career, ( and some early interviews would suggest he was a bit up his own tuckus ) but he seemed to get over it by the '80s and has produced a credible amount of cr*p interspersed with a few jems. :))

The one thing Dalton always said about the benefits of being Bond was that it enabled him to do the kinds of projects he would never have been able have gotten made pre Bond. (Hawks springs to mind.)

Perhaps Craig feels the same.Bond must give the actor a huge amount of credibility and financial security. Craig can go off and do any independent/arthouse project he wants ( and win his Oscar) knowing he can have all the commercial backing and support from Bond. Afterall, Oscar success doesn't equal a thriving and long lasting career ;)

Whether Craig stays for 5 is anyones guess.That contract is only as secure as Craig's popularity with the public.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,742MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    darenhat wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    EON has a knack for getting the right guy at the right time, at least with the last two Bonds

This is exactly why I find it hard that Eon would sign Craig for a five picture deal. Regardless of what people think of Brosnan (myself included) Brosnan was the Bond that people would respond to at that time...but even he was axed after four films. Craig may be hot now, but audience tastes change. After three more films, we'll be saying about Craig what we were saying about Brosnan in DAD: "Gee, he's looking a little too wore out to be playing Bond."

Craig in his first Bond film >>>>> Brosnan is his first Bond film (really night and day IMO). Box office returns may have been similar but studio heads keep their jobs by assessing talent and acting accordingly. Hence the different direction (immediate extension) MGM has taken in regards to Craig. Pretty obvious which actor's been accorded of more value to the franchise from their respective get-goes. IMHO.

I don't know about that- Brosnan was very well received, I felt and really kick-started the Bonds: any differing reaction (if this 5 film contract is even true) is probably due to this being a different studio and different bosses.
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Craig's taken a bit more of an intelligent career path and done some really interesting stuff, but he's also made no bones about the fact that he wants to win an Oscar: he wants to do interesting stuff but also embraces the idea of being a movie star; not just actor, I think.
    If he wants to win an Oscar, wouldn't that make him an actor rather than a movie star? ;)

Does the phrase 'not just actor' mean that he doesn't want to be considered an actor at all, or that he would like to be both? Are you saying no movie stars win Oscars? C'mon Dan: just because my name is written next to a post doesn't mean that you have to kneejerk disagree with it.
    emtiem wrote:
    You said you'd 'be surprised if they could get him to commit to four more' unless they gave him loads of cash: I'm hardly extrapolating from what you said- just paraphrasing! :)

Paraphrasing....very loosely---to the point of active, deliberate misrepresentation! :)) Your own insertion of the word 'unless' (which I didn't use) is key, here :v

If I can see through the haze of smilies (!) to reply; not really: if you put two things in a sentence that are linked then expect others to link them together. If I said that I'd be surprised if you ran a marathon... but if there was a massive cake at the end you might reconsider: would you take that as me inferring that you're fat or just two completely wildly unconnected sentences? :)
    'but'/'unless': that's paraphrasing!
    Wow :(|) You're killing me :p Once again...never said it. Then again... :v perhaps Eon should court Craig for an overall five-picture deal, offering nothing at all in the way of a pay raise, and see if that plane flies! :)

Yeah, yeah you did. Perhaps unintentionally, but you did. And perhaps Eon have courted him for a five-picture deal without pay rise: it's unlikely but I like to see it proven otherwise on this board! :)
    You've latched onto that bit from my first post---a fleeting joke about money being ponied up---and (for whatever reason) simply can't let it go. Well...you just keep ruminating on it, and perhaps you'll figure it out :)) Or not B-)

Not really: you said you didn't say it; I pointed out that you did; and then you had to come back again and now start throwing these little yellow faces at me... if you can't let it go why have a go at me for not doing so?
    superado wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Just as I thought it a paradox for Dalton to accept the role, the thought of 5 films for Craig really surprised me and this speaks for how highly I think he regards his craft.

I know what you mean, but somehow I think we all give credit to Dalton for being more of a 'serious' actor than he actually is; perhaps he started with the classics and a bit of Shakespeare or whatever, but would a real luvvie have done Charlie's Angels and Flash Gordon? :)

I don't know about Charlie's Angels, but maybe he had a tactical lapse with Flash Gordon (which I liked very much) thinking if Mike Hodges, Max Von Sydow and Topol, it must have been a good move! Actually, I'm more concerned about Hot Fuzz...

True, but you know, it was called 'Flash Gordon' :) Hey; I love it, by the way :D
    I just think that Tim Dalton does things because they sound fun- he's no fool so has done some top stuff, but he's also happy to do something just because it sounds enjoyable. He's no snob.
    Although I think Hot Fuzz was a great choice; I hope his career gets a bit of a jump start from that as he was excellent in it :)
    edited October 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    Does the phrase 'not just actor' mean that he doesn't want to be considered an actor at all, or that he would like to be both? Are you saying no movie stars win Oscars? C'mon Dan: just because my name is written next to a post doesn't mean that you have to kneejerk disagree with it.
    It was just a joke. That's why I inserted the wink sign. As for the last line, please, you're the last person to say that to me.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Sorry Dan; I was just coming back online to delete that post- I had a second thought and thought it was a bit silly.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Although I think Hot Fuzz was a great choice; I hope his career gets a bit of a jump start from that as he was excellent in it :)
    I also loved it. I think it is a very funny film and Dalton was terrific. :D I'm glad he agreed to appear in it.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

This is exactly why I find it hard that Eon would sign Craig for a five picture deal. Regardless of what people think of Brosnan (myself included) Brosnan was the Bond that people would respond to at that time...but even he was axed after four films. Craig may be hot now, but audience tastes change. After three more films, we'll be saying about Craig what we were saying about Brosnan in DAD: "Gee, he's looking a little too wore out to be playing Bond."

Craig in his first Bond film >>>>> Brosnan is his first Bond film (really night and day IMO). Box office returns may have been similar but studio heads keep their jobs by assessing talent and acting accordingly. Hence the different direction (immediate extension) MGM has taken in regards to Craig. Pretty obvious which actor's been accorded of more value to the franchise from their respective get-goes. IMHO.

I don't know about that- Brosnan was very well received, I felt and really kick-started the Bonds: any differing reaction (if this 5 film contract is even true) is probably due to this being a different studio and different bosses.

Different is right, Cubby was still in charge--he who wanted Connery forever, Lazenby for 7 films, and ran Moore into far-overdue retirement. If he'd wanted Brosnan sewn up, I would believe it would've happened. He obviously wanted Brosnan pre-GE very badly, perhaps the bloom went off that rose during production? I have no idea, just weird Brosnan wasn't signed for life, given GE's success and Cubby's track record.

One thing Babs is doing right the "Cubby way," making sure her very successful leading man is signed for a big chunk of films. Kudos.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Quite a bit of action on this post. Craig for 5 films...hmmm. I don't know how I feel about that. We will have to see how Bond 22 goes. I liked CR, but I just don't know if I want Craig around too long. He pulled it off once, but can he do it again. I really like Brosnan in GE, but the movies degressed from there, although his performances may have had sparks of improvement. It is more than just Craig here, it's keeping around Oscar quality scripts, good scores, and other great actors that are going to keep this franchise strong and things going well in the box office and here at AJB.

Now, about Craig and the business side of things. I agree, this is totally banking for more acting on his part. He needs the financial support to go and do other films down the road that will propel him as an actor (not movie star heh Dan? ;)...or maybe I should stay away from that fight). I think DC will get himself an Oscar or he will burn himself out and not do quality films for anyone (including Sony and MGM). Only time will tell. I think DC has got the gusto, the skills, and the presence to pull this off, we will see.
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Well the Bond films are taking longer to make :(
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    It was just a joke. That's why I inserted the wink sign. As for the last line, please, you're the last person to say that to me.

It's us, Dan. We're the ones with the problem...remember? ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited October 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    This is quite surprising; Daniel Craig has a contract up until Bond 25:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i11356e5762144f434339ff37e128990b

Good news!

If true, this is great news, although they referenced it rather fleetingly. It will be interesting to see if Eon is asked for a comment to confirm or deny...if confirmed, it would certainly merit a story of its own, and not just a mention.

I'd actually be surprised if they could get (Formerly) Poor DannyTM to commit to four more Bond films at this point in time...but if they drove an armoured car to his house and unloaded a pallet of cash, he'd possibly come round to their point of view :v

My first---and now my last---words on the issue of money {[] To read emtiem's riveting interpretation of this off-the-cuff remark, and his equally-fascinating analysis of what I 'really meant' (paraphrasing!), see the previous four pages :#
    It's us, Dan. We're the ones with the problem...remember? ;)
    True. :))
    This thread has reminded me why I hardly post here anymore 8-)
    edited October 2007
    Lady Rose wrote:

...And, perhaps, why I shouldn't :( At least, not in certain threads, obviously. My apologies for any part I've played in your feelings, Milady.
    Craig had a good time on CR, the film turned out great and got awesome reviews ("best Bond ever" doesn't suck!), he obviously has a good rapport with the producers...why not sign for more? Win-win-win-win.
    Lady Rose wrote:

...And, perhaps, why I shouldn't :( At least, not in certain threads, obviously. My apologies for any part I've played in your feelings, Milady.

No need to apologies,Loeffs.It actually wasn't directed at you or Dan at all. I just get a bit tired of certain members hijacking every thread they post in.

I'm going back under my rock now .....
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Was there a thread about shoes around here or did I dream it? ?:) :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent

Not unless we had the same dream. :))
    Oooh hello! They're popping up like toadstools! :s

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Oooh hello! They're popping up like toadstools! :s

Apparently it's the Chinese goddess of shoes.

Today's Guardian is running the story of MGM's new contract and using the Hollywood Reporter as its source.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2201821,00.html

I haven't seen any confirmation from Eon so far that this is indeed the case.
    I saw your post, on Rosa Klebb, so you're definitely not dreaming it. :o :))
    I find it odd, cos Craig was most insistent about only signing CR if it had a good script. But now he has no say, presumably, over four other films coming his way.

I'd have been happier with a trilogy really, esp if it's more realism based. That lends itself to three films (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard and Indy sort of overreach themselves with a 4th).

Then again, we could have a Blofeld type thing going on. And the last film could be Devil May Care! {[]

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited October 2007
    Then again, we could have a Blofeld type thing going on. And the last film could be Devil May Care! {[]
    Speaking of which, when are going to be told the title? :s In the article, they mentioned that there was no word yet on a theme song, well, I would hope not, since we're yet to find out the title. :))
    Prob in the next month, or to kick off next year's coverage once filming gets underway. It's all part of staggering the publicity methinks.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    John Drake wrote:

Today's Guardian is running the story of MGM's new contract and using the Hollywood Reporter as its source.

At least if this story turns out to be not true, we'll know who started the rumors!
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    No joke, I want to hear the title so bad. I check the sites every single day hoping that a title may be announced. However, I think it's true that it's is staged publicity, probably will be announced this next month...or maybe that is hope setting in!
    "We have all the time in the world..."
    No joke, I want to hear the title so bad. I check the sites every single day hoping that a title may be announced. However, I think it's true that it's is staged publicity, probably will be announced this next month...or maybe that is hope setting in!
    Ditto, really want to see the title.

If EON assured Craig of similar quality scripts for his tenure, I'd think he sign on for two more (on top of his initial three). I get the impression no one--not EON, MGM, Sony, etc.--guessed CR would be as big a hit as it was. Kinda changes things, methinks. {[]

Go Team EON! :007)