Bond 22 is 'Quantum of Solace'

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    The title SOUNDS good, but one thing is for shure: they will have to translate the title for non-english speaking markets (they often don't nowadays). Most foreigners won't know what it means or how it's pronounced.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    highhopes wrote:
    :)) Sounds like the winning entry in a Bad Albert Camus contest.

Actually, it reminds me of the masochist who married the sadist. On their wedding night the masochist turns to the sadist and says, "Hurt me."
    The sadist answers: "No."
    :)) Thanks, HH, that's the funniest joke I've heard in quite a while. :D
    I'm not at all worried about it...but then, I actually liked the line: "So you lived to die another day" {[]
    :o Please tell me that as someone who doesn't exactly love AVTAK, you're not entirely serious. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Blink MeBlink Me Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    I found out today and am way happy with the title. I like it when they use fleming's old titles. Maybe the next one will be property of a lady.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Here's the question, which would you prefer - Quantum of Solace, or Die Another Day.

I mean at least QoS has a certain amount of class to it, and it doesnt throw in some deviation of "Die" in there.

And what is tomorrow never dies? It could be a tag line for a Die Hard movie.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    As for the song, QoS doesn't have to be sung as the chorus like Goldfinger. It could be fitted in to the verse, like The Spy Who Loved Me in Nobody Does It Better, or the words Careless Whisper in George Michael's song (which should really be called Never Gonna Dance Again by rights).
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I told two people the title today, they both went "What???" I explained it, and they went "Ooooohh." It's the kinda title, makes sense once you think abut it. ;) And as others point out, Bond can get away with such titles (and, lots of other films do this, tell me what "Monster's Ball" is about from the title... :p ).
    How would you write the title en everyday english (or at least explain it ..)
    I'm a teacher in both english and norwegian, but I have no idea how it should be translated or explained!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    How would you write the title en everyday english (or at least explain it ..)
    I'm a teacher in both english and norwegian, but I have no idea how it should be translated or explained!

Try "Amount Of Comfort", as Bond says in the story.
    Hmm....
    It will be hard to find a fairly direct translation that is ... hard enough to work as a title in a Bond film. They will probably find a title that isn't a really translation. Like YOLT was "James Bond in Japan" and TLD was "James Bond in the line of fire".
    But I like the english title. It's poetic, mysterious and non-standard for an action movie.
    I can imagine the teaser campaign, Matrix style:
    "What is Quantum of Solace?":))
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Well a quantum of anything is a small amount of same, and solace equals comfort. A small amount of comfort.
  • VirgilVirgil Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    Come on, the title is far better that all the Brosnan titles put together; everything about the Brosnan was soooooo obvious...Gold-day-die-live...I don´t know to someone whose mother tongue is english, but to me it sounds bondish enough.
    What about TLD? Did it sound un-bondish?
    ITN news defined QoS like this: "The smallest unit of human compassion"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,721MI6 Agent
    Virgil wrote:
    Come on, the title is far better that all the Brosnan titles put together; everything about the Brosnan was soooooo obvious...Gold-day-die-live...

Oh I dunno- I see where you're coming from (Die Another Day and TND were quite by-the-numbers) but they were all pretty decent and The World Is Not Enough is probably one of the best titles of the lot, I'd say.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Virgil wrote:
    Come on, the title is far better that all the Brosnan titles put together; everything about the Brosnan was soooooo obvious...Gold-day-die-live...

Oh I dunno- I see where you're coming from (Die Another Day and TND were quite by-the-numbers) but they were all pretty decent and The World Is Not Enough is probably one of the best titles of the lot, I'd say.

I agree. The World Is Not Enough is one of the best titles IMO.
    Yes, I like the long titles. From Russia with love, On Her Majsty's Secret Service, The world is not enough. I prefer the very short and the long ones.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    words wrote:
    I agree. The World Is Not Enough is one of the best titles IMO.

And, of course, it's the only one of Brosnan's titles to come from a Fleming novel. A lesson there, perhaps?
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    I think the expression "The slightest compassion" might work in languages where this is an expression. The meaning is pretty much the same as QoS, isn't it?

"James Bond: Den minste medfølelse"
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    I doubt this chap is alone on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HB7mXOA1s0

:))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    I doubt this chap is alone on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HB7mXOA1s0

:))

Haha, I'm with him all the way! :D ;%
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    This is excellent news, as original Fleming titles are always most welcome.

Hopefully they'll continue and give us "Risico" and "The Hildebrand Rarity".
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Jeez, haven't looked up Bond for a brief period. Just when I gave up checking everyday the title appeared. Looks good and I'm feeling 50/50 about it. Craig doesn't look in shape as much and it isn't a catchy title but other than that the film clips and synosis look ace.
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    How's your kitten, Sweepy?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    A lot biger and more responsable for itself now. He's eating adult food and going out for short periods (15 mins).
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    ITN news defined QoS like this: "The smallest unit of human compassion"

(This post isn't directed at you, Number 24, or anyone else; it's just a general comment)

They must be as dumb as a sack of rocks over there. "Solace" is not "compassion." The words are not interchangeable, no matter how many talking heads misuse the terms.

Here's how the dictionary defines them (we'll go with the Oxford, but it's the same in all of them):

sol•ace /sls; NAmE sls/ noun [U, sing.] (formal) a feeling of emotional comfort when you are sad or disappointed; a person or thing that makes you feel better or happier when you are sad or disappointed comfort: He sought solace in the whisky bottle. She turned to Rob for solace. His grandchildren were a solace in his old age.
    so•lace verb: [vn] (literary) She smiled, as though solaced by the memory.

com•pas•sion /kmpn/ noun ~ [/u](for sb) a strong feeling of sympathy for people who are suffering and a desire to help them: to feel / show compassion She was known as a hard woman with no compassion, no emotion. In an overworked doctor, feelings of compassion are soon lost.

Hardly the same thing. This is kind of scary. I thought some of the plot misunderstandings in CR were odd; looks like we're going to have trouble getting past the title in Bond 22. :s :))
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    highhopes wrote:
    This is kind of scary. I thought some of the plot misunderstandings in CR were odd; looks like we're going to have trouble getting past the title in Bond 22. :s :))

It's Bond Season! :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I too was confused by their interpretation of the words. Being unfamiliar with the short story myself, I saw this on Wikipedia:

Quantum Of Solace (Short Story) - Wikipedia

'Quantum of Solace' is not a spy story and Bond appears only in the background. Told in the style of W Somerset Maugham, the tale has Bond attending a boring dinner party at the Government House in Nassau with a group of socialites he can't stand.

Bond makes an offensive remark after dinner when the other guests have left in order to stimulate conversation. This solicits a careful reply from the elderly Governor of The Bahamas who tells 007 a sad tale about a relationship between former civil servant Philip Masters stationed in Bermuda and air hostess Rhoda Llewellyn. After meeting aboard a flight to London the two eventually married but after a time Rhoda became unhappy with her life as a housewife. She then began a long open affair with the eldest son of a rich Bermudan family. As a result Masters' work deteriorated and he suffered a nervous breakdown. After recovering he was given a break from Bermuda by the governor and sent on an assignment to Washington to negotiate fishing rights with the US. At the same time the governor's wife had a talk with Rhoda just as her affair ended. Masters returned a few months later and decided to end his marriage, although he and Rhoda continued to appear as a happy couple in public. Masters returned alone to the UK, leaving a penniless Rhoda stranded in Bermuda, an act of which he'd been incapable of merely months earlier. But Masters never recovered emotionally, his vital spark never relit. The governor goes on to tell Bond how after a time Rhoda married a rich Canadian and seems to be happy, telling Bond that his dull dinner companions whom he found so boring were Rhoda and her new husband.

While the story does not include action elements, as other Fleming tales do, it attempts to posit that Bond's adventures pale in comparison with real life drama. Bond reflects that the lives of the people he passes somewhat superficial judgments upon can in fact hide poignant episodes.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited January 2008
    QOS is a nice bit of writing, actually---and possibly the most 'realistic' (unfortunately) of any of Fleming's pieces.

I do like the way the title works, within the context of following up on the events of CR...and I can't help but wonder bits of the actual story might end up as plot advancements in the film---much like the way in which the OP short story fed nicely into a bit of dialogue between Moore and Maud Adams in '83.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,266MI6 Agent
    having had 24 hours to think on it (and having already posted how much i dislike the title)I can see certain merits. I accept it is great to use a Fleming title even if they cannot utilise the plot and the more it is banded around the more people will accept it for what it is. But I still feel there will be a lot of ??? from confused punters. Ultimately it is a Bond film and as long as the title is fairly catchy it isnt really going to matter much. Incidently I rather liked the Brosnan titles too; the best thing about the DAD screenplay was probably the title. GE and TWINE both sourced from Fleming related stuff anyway, so its all cool with me.
  • KlausHergersheimerKlausHergersheimer Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Personally I think the title is great one and a brave choice by the producers. Rather then coming up with another variation on the word "die" we have a title that only Fleming could have come up with, and like the best of his titles I think it will intrigue people. Plus I can see how it could nicely fit into the script. It's a smart move that we should applaud. They could have come up with a cheap alternative, but instead they show their respect to Fleming (particularly important this year) and the fans.

I'm sure they copywriters will also weave the title and an explanation into the film so anyone leaving the theatre will get it. Who knows, it may end up in our vernacular, a term played on our referenced in popular culture. "From Russia With Love" must have sounded very strange for an espionage story but look how that's become a commonly referenced saying.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    QOS is a nice bit of writing, actually---and possibly the most 'realistic' (unfortunately) of any of Fleming's pieces.
    Quantum of Solace is an okay piece of writing, if a bit showy. I hesitate to bang on about how similar it is stylistically to a chapter from Ashenden, although the influence is certainly discernable. QoS the short story is a different take that doesn't quite work for me; then again, it is not quite as dreary as Maughm's Ashenden.

Desptie being an excellent and classy choice of title, I very much hope that the producers and writers do not feel compelled to shoe-horn the title into the dialogue: apart from physicists, who uses words like 'quantum' any more?