Bond 22 is 'Quantum of Solace'

1235»

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    I agree. the title shouldn't be spoken in the film or sung in the title song. It would just seem forced.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    ITN news defined QoS like this: "The smallest unit of human compassion"

(This post isn't directed at you, Number 24, or anyone else; it's just a general comment)

They must be as dumb as a sack of rocks over there. "Solace" is not "compassion." The words are not interchangeable, no matter how many talking heads misuse the terms.

Here's how the dictionary defines them (we'll go with the Oxford, but it's the same in all of them):

sol•ace /sls; NAmE sls/ noun [U, sing.] (formal) a feeling of emotional comfort when you are sad or disappointed; a person or thing that makes you feel better or happier when you are sad or disappointed comfort: He sought solace in the whisky bottle. She turned to Rob for solace. His grandchildren were a solace in his old age.
    so•lace verb: [vn] (literary) She smiled, as though solaced by the memory.

com•pas•sion /kmpn/ noun ~ [/u](for sb) a strong feeling of sympathy for people who are suffering and a desire to help them: to feel / show compassion She was known as a hard woman with no compassion, no emotion. In an overworked doctor, feelings of compassion are soon lost.

Hardly the same thing. This is kind of scary. I thought some of the plot misunderstandings in CR were odd; looks like we're going to have trouble getting past the title in Bond 22. :s :))

Well here's how Fleming actually uses it:
    The Governor paused and looked reflectively over at Bond. He said: “You’re not married, but I think it’s the same with all relationships between a man and a woman. They can survive anything so long as some kind of basic humanity exists between the two people. When all kindness has gone, when one person obviously and sincerely doesn’t care if the other is alive or dead, then it’s just no good.

That particular insult to the ego—worse, to the instinct of self-preservation—can never be forgiven. I’ve noticed this in hundreds of marriages. I’ve seen flagrant infidelities patched up, I’ve seen crimes and even murder forgiven by the other party, let alone bankruptcy and every other form of social crime. Incurable disease, blindness, disaster—all these can be overcome. But never the death of common humanity in one of the partners. I’ve thought about this and I’ve invented a rather high-sounding title for this basic factor in human relations. I have called it the Law of the Quantum of Solace.”

Fleming may well have been a bit wrong to use that word, but 'compassion' seems to fit the idea of 'common humanity' and kindness to a lover to me.

Perhaps the dumb rocks found out about the use of the word in the story rather than just the dictionary; or perhaps Fleming was a bit of a dumb rock himself ;) Either way, solace is a nice sounding word :)
    No offence taken!
  • bondisfitbondisfit Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    sound like a good name - im just a little confused why. so far all the other names of films have been catch and easier to remember but this one is goin to be harder a name like The Lovers Revenge would be much better title
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Perhaps the dumb rocks found out about the use of the word in the story rather than just the dictionary; or perhaps Fleming was a bit of a dumb rock himself ;) Either way, solace is a nice sounding word :)

I agree; it is a cool sounding phrase. And I'm warming up to it as a title. I just don't think it really works for the film as Fleming may have intended it in the original story. The phrase is OK there, but only because the governor takes the time to explain what he describes as his own pet expression. Unless the filmmakers plan to offer that same labored (in my view) explanation in the film, it's going to go over the head of the audience. And I'm hoping they don't, because what the governor is saying is, basically, that love can't survive when people don't care about each other. No s***, Sherlock. Also -- and this is more important -- I feel the title's meaning should be revealed by the story arc, not some conversation over brandy and cigars.

But I can see several ways that the action of Bond 22 could reflect the title, if the filmmaker's dispense with Fleming's definition and go with the common sense of the terms.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent
    Well from the interviews the title seems to have a double meaning- it's obviously about Bond's relationship with Vesper, but there's also been a few references to it having something to do with the plot; as if it has a connection with the villain's plan in some way. We'll find out in time I suppose!
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I'm intrigued by those references to the plot, too. I don't know about "solace," but "quantum" has a double-0 seven-y sound to it.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited January 2008
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    QOS is a nice bit of writing, actually---and possibly the most 'realistic' (unfortunately) of any of Fleming's pieces.
    Quantum of Solace is an okay piece of writing, if a bit showy.

I probably enjoyed it more than you did, then ;) I thought it was rather a nice (and unexpected) way for Fleming to expand beyond Bond's normal stomping ground...

I think that, should they decide to incorporate the title into the script, it might be very much along the lines of how Fleming did it in the original story---i.e., an educated man's perspective on a frayed and ruined relationship...and I would fully expect that man to be the villain of the piece, perhaps by concocting a rationalization for his divorce from the so-called 'Rule of Law'...

The challenge will be in drawing a parallel to Bond's own lack of closure with Vesper...although it's not impossible that the villian might do this as a way of 'getting to' Bond.

Just a thought, at any rate.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Prehaps "M" will sit Bond down for a "Mother to Son" chat at her house in the country. Probably right after they "waterboard" Mr. White.

Bond:
    "I don't think he's told us everything we need to know."

M:

"There's just one thing Bond. In order for an agent to function he has to be able to find a quantum of solace, that is - a level of peace within himself, otherwise he might let some notion of revenge take the place of good judgement."

Bond:

"Would you like Carter to pour the water next time?"
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    [quote=emtiemThe World Is Not Enough is probably one of the best titles of the lot, I'd say.[/quote]

That may be - but its a term coined by Fleming and not by the producers. In fact, GoldenEye I can stand, but thats also Fleming.

TND and DAD are just pure rubbish
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    I think that Fleming was a genius when it came to titles. My two least favourite titles are TND and DAD, and of the other 20 titles, I like all of them save for TLD and QOS. In fact I was disappointed to hear that QOS is Bond 22's title. I don't think it's as bad as either TND or DAD, but nor do I think it's a particularly good title. I was hoping for Risico. :#

Anyway, I think that the filmmakers should continue to look to Fleming for titles. They won't always pick the right title, but at least they won't end up with another TND/DAD. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    If mr Greene is Vesper's algerian boyfriend (perhaps a "pied noir" - a decendant of french colonists) it could be natural to have a conversation between Bond and Greene about Vesper and relationships in general. Or will it ?
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    did anyone see the daily mail on friday where they talked about the title and put the fan poster(which was mentioned here)on the page as is if it was the offical teaser?
    quality!
    good to see the british press are keepng up thier fact checking!
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    If mr Greene is Vesper's algerian boyfriend (perhaps a "pied noir" - a decendant of french colonists) it could be natural to have a conversation between Bond and Greene about Vesper and relationships in general. Or will it ?

If indeed Amalric's character is Vesper's boyfriend who gave her the Algerian Loveknot -then the search for solace will be twofold as both Bond and Amalric are in search of justification and revenge for what happened to Vesper -so from both the "good" side -and the "bad" side there is this personal need for closure and understanding. All in all this movie is going to be about lost love and revenge as well as justification and the closure to a chapter that allows for a new start where the scarred memories don't hurt quite so much anymore and one can regain passion for life and a determination to move on.