Bond Girl Style Watercooler

Comments

• zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    As the Father of two Daughters given the current trend for Teenage Girl role models
    to wear next to nothing and be as Stupid as Possible "Shutup !!!!"

Dont get me started .... I have a 15 year old who thinks The Only Way Is Essex and Big Brother are brilliant .... Oh, I said dont get me started ..... :v :v :v ... Cant bear programmes that celebrate stupidity ....

Without wishing to be a grumpy old man (really don't want to be that guy!) One of the defining characteristics of the current mono culture is precisely that what was once shameful such as stupidity or drunkenness are celebrated, and even aspired to. Even more worrying is the idea of being cool and understated have been replaced by excess display and shoutyness (if that's even a word)
    This is perhaps why we love Bond (see what I did there?) as he represents a keen intelligence, an understated elegance, combined with tenacity and wit. Apart fro the fact that he has an alarming propensity to kill people he would be a perfect role model.
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    edited January 2012
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:

I think she's attractive but you're the man. :)) If I had to pick, my favorite Asian actess is Lucy Liu. I find her incredibly elegant and beautiful.

and everytime when I am afraid, that we have a substancial disagreement you come up with something like THIS!

-{ -{ -{

Luci Liu - I can totally agree with you !!!!

:D I love her! I think she'd make a terrific Bond girl also. Hm, Kate Beckinsale and Lucy Liu with Henry Cavill as Bond? Would you and the gentlemen approve? Would my fellow Bond Girls approve?
    Dont get me started .... I have a 15 year old who thinks The Only Way Is Essex and Big Brother are brilliant .... Oh, I said dont get me started ..... :v :v :v ... Cant bear programmes that celebrate stupidity ....

Sigh.. I had hoped the outburst of stupidity especially in teens was mainly here in Italy due to the uhm, not exactly classy and polite Prime Minister we've had until only a month or so ago and the degeneration of costumes and manners in general that him and his ignorant TV empire have brought to this country. But apparently that's not the case. :# I am of your same exact opinion Steph... and I sadly dealt in real life with a product (can't call those VIPs or celebs) of Big Brother here. The experience was more than negative. I am just rejoicing that FINALLY after a completely failed season here (that is on the air right now) they have decided to freaking CANCEL Big Brother for good here. ABOUT DAMN TIME. And still too little, too late, the type of rudeness and ignorance these programmes have brought along is now too widespread and it will take DECADES to eliminate it. X-(
    Without wishing to be a grumpy old man (really don't want to be that guy!) One of the defining characteristics of the current mono culture is precisely that what was once shameful such as stupidity or drunkenness are celebrated, and even aspired to. Even more worrying is the idea of being cool and understated have been replaced by excess display and shoutyness (if that's even a word)
    This is perhaps why we love Bond (see what I did there?) as he represents a keen intelligence, an understated elegance, combined with tenacity and wit. Apart fro the fact that he has an alarming propensity to kill people he would be a perfect role model.

:)) you're absolutely right Zaphod. Both about the mono culture and about all the rest and how vulgarity and being tacky have become a sign of distinction instead of something to be ashamed of. You're also absolutely right about the fact that's perhaps why we love Bond... he sure represents the opposite of that type of behaviour. Well, there's the minor detail of being a killer, but hey, nobody's perfect as Billy Wilder once wrote in "Some Like It Hot" :)) :))
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    As the Father of two Daughters given the current trend for Teenage Girl role models
    to wear next to nothing and be as Stupid as Possible

:D We say, that the apple does not fall far away from the tree :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,338MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:
    to wear next to nothing and be as Stupid as Possible "Shutup !!!!"

You've been watching that programme about drinking on BBC4 haven't you Zaphod? :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:
    I guess Tosca isn't for everyone.... :007)

:D .... the problem is there is a huge portion of the population who would have no idea what Tosca is!!

Ale, Big Brother was cancelled here and immediately picked up by another channel !!

We currently have the Celebrity version running and poor old Michael Madsen is wondering round like he's wandered into an asylum .... He must need the money .... he is sharing a house with three reality tv stars, two actresses better known for their off screen antics, an adulterous footballers wife, a has been rapper, two models and The Playboy Prostitutes, sorry , Playmates, Kristina and Karissa.

I'm guessing they spent all their budget getting Madsen !!

I'm not against reality TV by any means. I enjoy an awful lot of it but .. watching a 'celeb' unable to point out America on a world map is just not entertaining .... :#
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Alessandra wrote:
    I have a nerdy question. Nametags in coats - ever acceptable? What if it was in an elegant font, or in the form of an email address should the coat be lost? Thinking of myself, not some lady's mink effort.

Sure, why not? Have them put inside under the main tag (brand tag) so they won't catch the eye immediately but they will be there to be checked in case of need.

Mr H. , Pam Bouvier is indeed one of the finest examples of Bond girls ever, and like I said, for me the best contemporary Bond girl (I mean most recently, excluding Sir Roger and Sir Sean). I'm sure her bodysuit was La Perla because I'm a major fan of the brand and I recognised the collection it was part of :)) I think something else may have been from Erès (other great brand, but only for SUPER THIN women.. and I mean super thin, thinner than I am and I am a US size 2... between size 6 and 8 UK). In short, Halle Berry-like LOL She has the perfect body so that Erès orange bikini she was wearing looked STUNNING on her. Unfortunately, seen as their stuff isn't padded at all and generally it doesn't help hide "faults", either you have a perfect body/super slim body or just forget it :)) I'm familiar with Aubade. I like some of their stuff. It's a bit too "boring" for me, not edgy and recherché like La Perla but they still do have some good stuff. Bottomline once you try La Perla it's quite difficult to switch to anything else (I do love Victoria's Secret for everyday wearing though).

The turquoise dress is a very classy and classic cocktail dress that could easily be worn nowadays too at an elegant pool party, it was the PERFECT tribute to Bond girl style and perfect for the scene.

I agree about Michelle Yeoh, she really was very sexy and there again, it was her attitude, not just her (of course beautiful) appearance.

Pierce's attitude is one that very few actors/men successfully master (Hugh Jackman is another with the same attitude, and same goes for my dearest Henry Cavill)... he manages to look at a woman in a seductive way and make her feel not just like he wants to take her clothes off, but also like a princess at the same time. It's a quality that an actor especially either has or hasn't, you can't learn it. Pierce has it (and like I said, Hugh and Henry have it, too). It's about managing to STILL be incredibly stylish even when he's about to take the clothes off of a woman, AND once they're in the middle of it, about managing to make HER the centre of attention in the scene, not because of her various stages of undress, but because HE makes her "shine". It's called being an actor's actor. (I'm not joking, this is how actors define fellow actors like Pierce). And not everyone is. Actor's actors are so good they make their co-stars shine when they're in scenes with them. Pierce was definitely the one who displayed this quality most prominently, especially when filming sexy scenes. His attitude, the way he moved around the lady, the way he made her feel entirely special (albeit undressed :)) ) that is what made the difference. Sir Roger was similar as well, and Timothy Dalton. Sir Sean had a different style, a little in between. Daniel Craig, I'm sorry, just doesn't have it. He is most definitely a character actor. Focused on creating and conveying his character first and foremost. What is around is at the service of his character, so basically works the opposite way as Pierce and Sir Roger. Is this enough of an explanation? :))

Hi Alessandra (and everyone else!)

as Bondtoys stated, this WAS very insightfull (and very fascinating).
    from a guy's standpoint Daniel is a great Bond being that like Connery there is not a trace of the effeminate. (i hate to say this but Brosnan kind of ran like a girl :s ), he's a man's man, at least in his protrayal of Bond.

From a woman's standpoint, we can appreciate various aspects of Brosnan's characterization that I honestly had not seen before. And these are wonderful 'lessons' to learn, for what could possibly be more important in this world than knowing how to make a woman happy!!??
    it seems that this is true in real life as well, to make the lady the center of the action, and on screen Brosnan DOES defer to his conquests. (ex-the love scene w/Sophie at her mansion in TWINE is really a 'pause' in the film to admire her)

and so it IS true that Dalton and Sir Roger do something very similar making such scenes (like in Octupssy) incredibly sexy. And you're right again about Connery's style, there's much more 'self- fullfillment' going on there with him! :))

i had always wondered why you werent so fond of Craig, mystery solved??

Cary Grant is a little tricky to discern, it seems to me that he should be able to play the part like Brosnan, but it seems that he's always the center of attention in such scenes. what's your take on him?
    (and i take it La Perla, then, is for special occasions...?)
    Halcon,

from what I know about italian fashionable women, EVERY day is a special day and gives the occasion to dress up and look fabulous!

There are no "sweater-and sneaker" days for them ;)

• MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Alessandra wrote:
    It's a bit too "boring" for me, not edgy and recherché like La Perla but they still do have some good stuff. Bottomline once you try La Perla it's quite difficult to switch to anything else (I do love Victoria's Secret for everyday wearing though).

Hey Ale! Happy New Year! I have such a gripe with La Perla. Maybe you can enlighten me! I have wanted to try it so many times, but it seems like they only cater to flat chested women!! Most of their bra styles rarely flatter, or fit a C or a D and some styles don't even come in a D!! Even on their website the styles are really limited in those sizes! It's maddening! In the boutiques I have seen them in person, they carry such few styles and although I like their panties, and the boy shorts quite a bit, I was really hesitant to pay $165 for ONE pair! My Victoria's Secret $30 version seemed to make more sense when I already know the fit, etc. :)) One day I'll treat myself to La Perla, but I really wish they would realize women have CURVES and aren't the cardboard stick figures on their website!! Those women look gaunt and they have NO chests!! Over and over you hear men don't really like those skin and bones type figures, yet they choose them to model??? Don't get it.....especially since La Perla has such a reputation as being the ultimate in gorgeous lingerie. ?:) At least VS uses curvy, sexy girls!
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    ke02eww wrote:
    I guess Tosca isn't for everyone.... :007)

:D .... the problem is there is a huge portion of the population who would have no idea what Tosca is!!

Ale, Big Brother was cancelled here and immediately picked up by another channel !!

We currently have the Celebrity version running and poor old Michael Madsen is wondering round like he's wandered into an asylum .... He must need the money .... he is sharing a house with three reality tv stars, two actresses better known for their off screen antics, an adulterous footballers wife, a has been rapper, two models and The Playboy Prostitutes, sorry , Playmates, Kristina and Karissa.

I'm guessing they spent all their budget getting Madsen !!

I'm not against reality TV by any means. I enjoy an awful lot of it but .. watching a 'celeb' unable to point out America on a world map is just not entertaining .... :#

Not sure if I should admit to watching this.... (it's more the physiological aspects I find fascinating - honest - :v) but it is funny. Clever, no, entertaining certainly.

Although it is true that what we seem to deem 'celebrity' is rather embarrassing, especially Natasha Giggs.... however Madsen does it for me... he is very insightful and has pointed out his incredulity about that exact thing....

Kirk not being able to identify ANY country though was incredibly sad.... but that says more about our education system surely than him.... but that's another debate entirely. (Oh and yes, I watch TOWIE too.... ;% I know... sad, sad, sad....)

It's NOT big, and NOT clever (but highly entertaining)..... :)) :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    It's NOT big, and NOT clever (but highly entertaining)..... :)) :))

I may have given the wrong impression here ... I am totally watching CBB ( and TOWIE ;% ) !! It has been hysterical but for all the wrong reasons. :)) :)) My daughter loves them so I get sucked in like everyone else but I also tut disapprovingly at appropriate moments ;)

Madsen is very sexy IMO. Must be the strong / silent thing he has going on but he must onder what on earth he is doing there ....
    Ok....

If you can tell me what MOTD is I'll officially feel embarrassed that I hv no idea what TOWIE is... ;%
    What, Match of the Day? :))

Oh dear Paul, you should feel embarrassed :D

TOWIE? Oh, now this show is right up your street.... I mean you're missing out on Vajazzling !!!!!! (look it up... I dare you :)) )

It's a VERY sad show called 'The Only Way is Essex' and it follows a bunch of wanna be 'celebs' (although I use that term lightly) who live in Essex.... it's like Big Brother, but they go about their everyday lives.... and it's the same people in each episode.... however, some scenes have been 'arranged' for our entertainment....

In other words, it's utter ****, but highly entertaining in a fake tan and false eyelashes kind of way ;)

"shut uuuuup" :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Oh, I said dont get me started ..... :v :v :v ... Cant bear programmes that celebrate stupidity ....

Then don't ever tune in to Jersey Shore, it's the lowest of the low. :))
    Ok.....lex I admit to being (blissfully) ignorant .... :s

I've just googled towie and the first thing I see is "it's britains answer to jersey shore"..

As Monique says, lowest of the low...

You know, I'm going to give towie a miss...

But I was impressed you knew MotD.... You'll be telling me you support Norwich or West Brom next :)

Either way it's nice to see ladies cooling off again....

And no sign of two-tonics... 8-)
    Monique wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Oh, I said dont get me started ..... :v :v :v ... Cant bear programmes that celebrate stupidity ....

You know, I did try.... but my line is drawn at a point.

And that was it :)) :))
    Lexi wrote:
    Monique wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

I concurr. Jersey Shore didn't make it it into our house either, thats how bad it is :)) :))

Having said that, maybe our American friends should try 'Geordie Shore' which REALLY is the dregs of TV ....

Can I own up to watching The Kadashians or is that a step too far .... ??? :)) :)) :))
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    Monique wrote:

I concurr. Jersey Shore didn't make it it into our house either, thats how bad it is :)) :))

Having said that, maybe our American friends should try 'Geordie Shore' which REALLY is the dregs of TV ....

Can I own up to watching The Kadashians or is that a step too far .... ??? :)) :)) :))

Well why we are at it... can I confess to The Real Housewives of New York, and Orange County.... ;%

However... The Kardishians... :)) :)) I couldn't.... my man Daniel hates them.... :D ;) :))
    Lexi wrote:

Well why we are at it... can I confess to The Real Housewives of New York, and Orange County.... ;%

I think we ought to stop now ... while we still have some credibility left :))
    You guys get all our Real Housewives in the UK???? Wow! If I were being honest, I would admit I watch all of them, New York Atlanta, New Jersey, Beverly Hills and Orange County!!!! I would also fess up to Miami and Washington D.C. too... ;% There was a Brit named Cat in that one we all love, you know.....if I watched it! :v

But who's being honest? ;)

And one last confession LR...I totally watch the Kardashians.

I'm not proud.
    Monique! Well, La Perla is not made for busty women and they say so.. they do not have skinny models though, that I disagree with. The VS ones are way skinnier BUT with bigger busts. I love Victoria's Secret for everyday wearing, nothing wrong with that! They make very nice stuff that fits REALLY well especially for those who are small like me, their push ups are great :)) I have seen big La Perla stuff and I think the case is just that probably they don't have many boutiques in the US... over here in every mid-sized city there's one, and OMG their stuff is so beautiful. Like I said I do use Victoria's Secret but quality-wise and style-wise there's no comparison.

Halcon, no I didn't mean to say that La Perla is just for special occasions, but that Victoria's Secret is for everyday use while La Perla is definitely evening and elegant, too (on top of everyday). I do have a couple of VS numbers that I use under evening dresses though, because they are clever in making stuff that fits under dresses with deep v decolletage or with bare back (I wear absolutely NOTHING without bra... I find going around without bra really vulgar unless the dress already has appropriate padding sewn in, and in any case unless one has plastic surgery boobs, it NEVER looks nice when you're not wearing the appropriate lingerie under a dress)

:)) look at all this reality show talk. I will proudly admit to watching ABSOLUTELY NONE of those horrific shows. :)) Especially not those Jersey Shore tacky, vulgar, rude, ignorant ones who even filmed in Florence last year! :O We were all absolutely horrified by that (and nobody knows who they are here anyway :)) ).

I am a BIG believer in the art that is writing a show so I am all for scripted shows and I am against unscripted (reality) shows in general because they're turning TV into a vulgar mess and they're making networks invest LESS in scripted shows as reality costs WAY less and there are WAY too many people who watch those shows. I watch a LOT of scripted shows, especially those from USA Network in the US, they definitely are those with the best quality ratio... there isn't a single one of their shows I dislike. From Necessary Roughness to White Collar to Royal Pains to Suits, I love all their shows. BTW I highly recommend "Suits" for the gentlemen here, too. They had quite a few direct Bond references (including a hilarious Pussy Galore one in one episode) throughout their first season, and the show is clever, stylish and entertaining. I also HIGHLY recommend Person of Interest on CBS of course... fantastic action show, and Jim Caviezel, while being American, has quite a few good Bond qualities while playing that character! :x
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
    Monique wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    It's a bit too "boring" for me, not edgy and recherché like La Perla but they still do have some good stuff. Bottomline once you try La Perla it's quite difficult to switch to anything else (I do love Victoria's Secret for everyday wearing though).

Hey Ale! Happy New Year! I have such a gripe with La Perla. Maybe you can enlighten me! I have wanted to try it so many times, but it seems like they only cater to flat chested women!! Most of their bra styles rarely flatter, or fit a C or a D and some styles don't even come in a D!! Even on their website the styles are really limited in those sizes! It's maddening! In the boutiques I have seen them in person, they carry such few styles and although I like their panties, and the boy shorts quite a bit, I was really hesitant to pay $165 for ONE pair! My Victoria's Secret $30 version seemed to make more sense when I already know the fit, etc. :)) One day I'll treat myself to La Perla, but I really wish they would realize women have CURVES and aren't the cardboard stick figures on their website!! Those women look gaunt and they have NO chests!! Over and over you hear men don't really like those skin and bones type figures, yet they choose them to model??? Don't get it.....especially since La Perla has such a reputation as being the ultimate in gorgeous lingerie. ?:) At least VS uses curvy, sexy girls!

Lady Monique,
    curvy is indeed verrry sexy :D

Thankfully, i too, have not bothered with such shows, i believe any kind of viewership only adds to its promotion and its validation within network decision makers (i know, a very futile effort) nonetheless, at least my mind is saved from such dross...

I still remember when the film XXX (a film that can be tossed into the same bin as any of these type of shows in my opinion) was touted as the 'James Bond Killer'...yeah we know where that ended... :))
    Monique wrote:
    You guys get all our Real Housewives in the UK???? Wow! If I were being honest, I would admit I watch all of them, New York Atlanta, New Jersey, Beverly Hills and Orange County!!!! I would also fess up to Miami and Washington D.C. too... ;% There was a Brit named Cat in that one we all love, you know.....if I watched it! :v

But who's being honest? ;)

And one last confession LR...I totally watch the Kardashians.

I'm not proud.

Yep... I stumbled upon them late last year.(they are shown during the day...) and I have to say I was hooked on the first episode of 'Orange County'...although all of them look the same, I couldn't tell them apart to begin with :))

'New York' was shown one season after another.... and we are now up to date I believe....we don't have any currently showing... and I must confess to missing my fix.

Sad I know... but it keeps me out of trouble ;) (But glad to know there is another ajb fan who watches them ;% -{ )

:)) I can only agree :)) This may be the one and only thing that I wholeheartedly agree with Daniel Craig about :)) (how horrible the Kardashians are, that is :)) )
    just watching 'Golden Globes' red carpet ...

Some very gorgeous ladies there I must say ......

Really liked Angelina Jolie (though generally she leaves me cold). Loved her dress and her tiny waist :#

angelina_jolie_golden_globes_2012.jpg

Not keen on Michelle Williams' dress. Very frumpy and boring for such a quirky looking woman.

Michelle+Williams+69th+Annual+Golden+Globe+Le96P7AQufUl.jpg

And Kelly Osbourne ??? Her hair???? Someone call the Fashion Police ! Oh, wait ...... :)) :))

Quick edit ... think I'm in love with Charlize Theron

Here's a link to some of the main players ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2087278/Golden-Globes-2012-red-carpet-dresses-Bridal-chic-years-hottest-trend.html
    Alessandra wrote:

:)) I can only agree :)) This may be the one and only thing that I wholeheartedly agree with Daniel Craig about :)) (how horrible the Kardashians are, that is :)) )

Ah, finally Ale, you are seeing the draw of DC... he isn't all that bad :))
    Lady Rose wrote:

Really liked Angelina Jolie (though generally she leaves me cold). Loved her dress and her tiny waist :#

I totally agree.... I saw this as I was quickly skimming through my fix of mailonline but I dislike her so much, I didn't want to confess how much I love this dress.

How immature of me :))

This was just awful article-2087231-0F7A322900000578-244_306x727.jpg

And I can't WAIT to hear Ale's comments on this little number :o .... although I have a feeling Bondtoys will think it's just right! :))
    article-2087231-0F7AD86C00000578-403_634x945.jpg
    Lexi wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

I totally agree.... I saw this as I was quickly skimming through my fix of mailonline but I dislike her so much, I didn't want to confess how much I love this dress.

How immature of me :))

This was just awful article-2087231-0F7A322900000578-244_306x727.jpg

And I can't WAIT to hear Ale's comments on this little number :o .... although I have a feeling Bondtoys will think it's just right! :))
    article-2087231-0F7AD86C00000578-403_634x945.jpg

unfortunately, even with the dress, Angie looks dirty, and not in a good way.
    as for the others, WTH??!!
    Lexi wrote:

Yep... I stumbled upon them late last year.(they are shown during the day...) and I have to say I was hooked on the first episode of 'Orange County'...although all of them look the same, I couldn't tell them apart to begin with :))

'New York' was shown one season after another.... and we are now up to date I believe....we don't have any currently showing... and I must confess to missing my fix.

Sad I know... but it keeps me out of trouble ;) (But glad to know there is another ajb fan who watches them ;% -{ )

I'm so addicted to them, I even became friendly with some of the Housewives themselves on twitter!! And some I loathe, so that is fun too. :)) If you want to know anything about them or need to get caught up, let me know. I'm an expert!! :)) Again, not proud! ;)
    Lexi wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you, Lexi, but that dress leaves me cold, even more the creature (is that a woman?), that's wearing it.

After all the discussions with you, I have discovered my rmoantic alter-ego, I guess :D