Quantum of Solace Quick Reviews - No Spoilers

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    edited November 2008
    Great to hear, 'shooter! {[] I don't know if you saw my post at the end of page 19 of this thread...but I detailed my theory on the wildy divergent opinions, re: The Reviled QoSTM.

You must have been lucky enough to get the 'good' version...

:))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I wonder, how they manage to release the good and the bad version on DVD/BluRay.

Will they be Id'fied by different covers :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    It will probably be just as dangerously random B-)
    edited November 2008
    I hope not.
    Maybe, they put a "dog s**t on a paper plate" label on the bad version... :))

• scottbuster2000scottbuster2000 Posts: 28MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Just saw QOS in the midnight showing here in Nova Scotia - Canada and I have to say it was a dissapointment.
    In fact it was the worse kind of dissapointment in that it wasn't a complete right off ala Moonraker but a hit and miss situation. First as far as Mick G. saying there is double the action, there wasn't. The movie clocks in at a too short 104 minutes and the lack of a good clear story and dialouge is evident. It seems that this movie was made for those who felt CR was slow and did not have enough action. Forester's direction and the co-editing is indeed noisy, brash making the movie hard to follow [Hitchcock + Coppola = Forster? lol - Think Bourne direction but not as good for with all the shakey camera work in the Bourne trilogy I could still follow them. Thank G*D Forster is not returning.].
    It does not crack my top 10 like CR did.

M - " You'll never find solace in an act of revenge 007. In the end you will become as cold as the weapons you vanquish your enemies with."
    BOND - " Revenge is not my intention Mom. You may call my methods uncivilized, but know this; what I do, my burdons are for Queen and country...not personal gain."
    ooooooooohhhhh spoilers!

• AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    ooooooooohhhhh spoilers!

:)) :)) guess by the end of the weekend that won't be a problem anymore, since everyone will have seen the movie.

And we've just had proof that the bad copy has been distributed in the US too..together with the good one. One good and one bad from the Northern Americans so far... keep 'em coming I guess? :))
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
    edited November 2008
    .... :v what about our brothers and sisters in Asia?

Has the film premiered there as well?

And as far as the bad copy goes. As far as I have been reading, we have had the "s**t on a paper plate" version here solely (some minor exceptions) in Europe and the US received both versions. I could not find clusterings on the coasts, but it may be possible there....

And I am sure, that Sir Miles has been viewing it in the US ;)

• bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Very different, but I loved this icy cold blast of Bond goodness. Liked the plotting very much (kept me guessing quite a bit, can't remember the last time a Bond film did that), the characters all felt ripped from an unwritten Fleming novel, and the action was awesome. Was very surprised at so much of the CR storyline spilling over into this one, in unexpected ways. Very satisfying to this Bond fan (and I think Fleming would've given it a thumbs up too). {[]
  • authorwritingauthorwriting Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    I really don't think Daniel will be back for a third movie - he's dropping hints to such. And I for one will breath a sigh of relief. Please bring back James Bond and get rid of James Bourne.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Where was the glamour? I'm all for a bit of realism but it would be nice to see Craig in at least one shot were he isn't dirty, cut and bloodied.

I have to say - I thought the style in this film was incredible. Despite being dirty and bloodied up half the time, Craig's suits were impeccable. Enough of that Brioni nonsense - go Tom Ford!

The one bizarre thing was how he kept finding perfectly cut clothing all over the place - the black jacket, for instance. Wow, that looked WAY too good to just have been stolen from a random guy!
    I really don't think Daniel will be back for a third movie - he's dropping hints to such..

What hints are these? 8-)
    edited November 2008
    Great to hear, 'shooter! {[] I don't know if you saw my post at the end of page 19 of this thread...but I detailed my theory on the wildy divergent opinions, re: The Reviled QoSTM.

You must have been lucky enough to get the 'good' version...

I definitely got the good version. Craig is perfect, truly the greatest Bond ever for me, after seeing this film. Dench, who annoyed me in CR, was also perfect. The girls were great, Kurylenko surprised me with how much I liked her performance. Leiter was perfect, Mathis was perfect... I have a few dislikes but I fear that they are a bit spoilery - I'll have to post them on the regular review thread.

You'll like it Loeffs - I know you will.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    i have lived in asia longer than dicko henderson and let me assure you we got the turd on a plate version...in fact the only laugh i got was after the movie in the elevator when some korean housewives were saying craig looks like putin and i burst out laughing...and so did they...at the waygook foreigner who can speak their language
  • avekevavekev UkPosts: 122MI6 Agent
    I really don't think Daniel will be back for a third movie he's dropping hints to such.
    -

So can you point me to your evidence for this statement as I seem to recall that Daniel Craig has signed up for 4 films.
    And I for one will breath a sigh of relief. Please bring back James Bond and get rid of James Bourne.

I must admit the Quantum of Solace I saw starred Daniel Craig and not Matt Damon and although I have now seen the film 3 times I can't remember seeing Jason Bourne in it at all.
    delon64 wrote:
    i have lived in asia longer than dicko henderson and let me assure you we got the turd on a plate version...in fact the only laugh i got was after the movie in the elevator when some korean housewives were saying craig looks like putin and i burst out laughing...and so did they...at the waygook foreigner who can speak their language

:)) that made me almost spit my coffee on my computer....

• AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    delon64 wrote:

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

My mom, who mistook Craig for Putin the first time they put him on the newspaper here (it was a honest mistake, she didn't know who it was) just had a big laugh over this as I was laughing so hard I had to tell her :))

I'm sorry that more of us are disappointed though. Not surprised at all given I have had the same reaction, but it's just saddening to see how many of us watched Jason Bourne instead of James Bond in QoS :(
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    In my company, they started selling tickets for QoS with an employee's discount today. I went down there to pick up tickets for me and a couple of friends. I told the lady selling them that I heard there are 2 kinds of tickets: those for the "good QoS", and those for the "dog doodoo QoS". She asked me which version I would like to purchase, and I told her "Surprise me". So she gave the tickets to me in a sealed envelope. I guess I'll find out what kind I've gotten once I open it on Saturday night ;)
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I saw it at midnight to and dont know what all the negetive fuss is about besides some of the action scenes are kinda hard to follow, but other then that i thought it was absolutely fantastic.
    I saw it at midnight to and dont know what all the negetive fuss is about besides some of the action scenes are kinda hard to follow, but other then that i thought it was absolutely fantastic.
    I'd say it's the directorial approach, about as different from traditional Bond as DC's looks. ;)
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    SiCo wrote:
    Please post your spoiler free (quick) reviews here, these can be anything from a sentence to a paragraph.

If you wish to discuss elements of the film please post a new topic (or post in an existing one), this is for actual reviews & comments.

Just as a reminder OK?
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Alessandra wrote:
    Not surprised at all given I have had the same reaction, but it's just saddening to see how many of us watched Jason Bourne instead of James Bond in QoS :(
    How often will we hear this refrain? ;) I saw the film again this week, and all I can say is that I am not surprised at all at the *positive* reaction I heard from many audience members. Some were not positive, of course, but such is life. (And the attempt of some, not necessarily you Alessandra, to claim uniformly positive or negative views is a bit tiring). What was interesting though was how full the cinema was on a dreary Wednesday night twelve days after release and it is good to see it doing so well financially. Whether it has 'legs' (a bizarre term, to be honest) is another matter, of course.

I must confess I still don't see what is particularly Bourne about it - I cannot see old Jase in the opera scene or the Greene charity party. Or dressed in a decent suit. It's all horses for courses in the end though, and one can only hope it does well in the United States not that what must have been a rather irritating two weeks is over! :)
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    Not surprised at all given I have had the same reaction, but it's just saddening to see how many of us watched Jason Bourne instead of James Bond in QoS :(
    How often will we hear this refrain? ;) I saw the film again this week, and all I can say is that I am not surprised at all at the *positive* reaction I heard from many audience members. Some were not positive, of course, but such is life. (And the attempt of some, not necessarily you Alessandra, to claim uniformly positive or negative views is a bit tiring). What was interesting though was how full the cinema was on a dreary Wednesday night twelve days after release and it is good to see it doing so well financially. Whether it has 'legs' (a bizarre term, to be honest) is another matter, of course.

I must confess I still don't see what is particularly Bourne about it - I cannot see old Jase in the opera scene or the Greene charity party. Or dressed in a decent suit. It's all horses for courses in the end though, and one can only hope it does well in the United States not that what must have been a rather irritating two weeks is over! :)
    Good points, laz. And agree on the Bourne thing, didn't strike me like that at all, felt very very Bond to me, all of it.

The opening midnight showing was full, audience was mostly quiet, some nice laughs but I think like me they were really into the story. My ex isn't a Bond fan at all but liked CR a whole lot, we're going Sunday (new beau isn't much into such actiony films, I think), I'll be very curious to hear her reaction to QOS.
  • discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    It seemed like I had already seen QoS because of everything that I have read here on AJB these long 2 weeks waiting for the US opening. However, I found myself surprised at some of the stuff on screen....Quick analysis: lose the shaky hand held camera work and add about 15 minutes of dialogue throughout the film to actually set up the scenes properly, and this would have been an instant classic. When QOS actually slowed down to catch it's breath, there were some beautiful scenes.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    blueman wrote:
    My ex isn't a Bond fan at all but liked CR a whole lot, we're going Sunday (new beau isn't much into such actiony films, I think), I'll be very curious to hear her reaction to QOS.
    Your new girlfriend doesn't mind you taking your old girldfriend to the cinema?! :s I know America voted Obama, but that seems like something of a liberal relationship! ;)

Interesting point about audience reaction, though. I found the second time there was 'gasping' at a key character building moment of the film, whereas on opening night there was silence. A couple of older ladies loved it and were giving something of a running commentary throughout, although they seemed a bit disappointed by the lack of beach scenes by the end! :))
    edited November 2008
    Lazenby880 wrote:

Amen to the two weeks being over :#

It seems that the whole Bourne thing has become a sort of shorthand for dismissing post-DAD Bond---and it's as well-worn (nay, tired) as a marathon runner's shoes. However QoS plays out, profit-wise (looks to be pretty good so far! :p ), I do hope they hire a non-Bourne 2nd Unit/stunt guy for #23, and find a way put some more tangible and undeniable distance between Our Man and Jason-Come-LatelyTM.

I am currently just less than 3 1/2 hours until the lights go down at the Showplace East 8 Cinema in Springfield, Illinois...

:007)
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    My ex isn't a Bond fan at all but liked CR a whole lot, we're going Sunday (new beau isn't much into such actiony films, I think), I'll be very curious to hear her reaction to QOS.
    Your new girlfriend doesn't mind you taking your old girldfriend to the cinema?! :s I know America voted Obama, but that seems like something of a liberal relationship! ;)
    Nope - my ex is the one with the new beau (who isn't that into Bond), I'm single. But I guess it's still the same wacky arrangement, just with the peeps shuffled. :s The ex and I still hang out and all, but she's way crazy about her new guy. Them's the breaks.
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I FINALLY saw the movie today (it's been the longest two weeks of my life!) and almost - not quite - loved it. It's exactly the film it needed to be: terse, tense, tough, taut. We have finished the "first cycle" of Daniel Craig Bond films, in that we've finished the Vesper story.

The direction was, overall, quite good, with the Tosca sequence being a particular standout. I did hate the chop-chop-chop editing of the opening car chase and the rooftop foot chase, but I thought it smoothed out quite nicely after that.

Overall, a very moving, interesting film, with a bigger part for M (yay!), a very solid plot (don't listen to the naysayers), and some terrific action - but not too much. I thought it was very well-paced, actually.
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    I saw the film at midnight last night with Stromberg1, who does not come around here much anymore. I enjoyed the film. I already think it is better than CR and DAD, but I will need another viewing or two to see if it truly is the best since GE like I hoped for.

Titles sucked. I can't believe I am saying this but "Bring Back Kleiman!". The song sucked too.

The action scenes were alright. Some were classic, especially the one at the climax with Bond, Camille, Greene and the General. The one where the action was cross-cut with the opera was a bad idea. The editing had some problems as well.

Arnold's scores have gotten worse and worse since DAD. He used to be great. What happened? Maybe it is because he can't use the James Bond Theme!

The two Bond girls were both fantastic. Camille was sexy and Fields was beautiful. The best duo since GE. Most seemed to dislike Camille as a character but I thought she was fine.

The villain was great as well. I like how Forster told Amalric to have no scars or anything like that. His eyes did it all for me and he came off as very threatening even with his small stature. The best villain since GE.

Dame Judi has been a fine 'M', but she needs to hang it up before her dignity is gone. She is too old now. I miss the more traditional office for M and not the flashy computer screen-filled office she has now. Also, why are we seeing M draw her bath?

Of course I miss the traditions like Q, Moneypenny and a proper gunbarrel, but they will be back so I looked past all that here. It did feel like Bourne sometimes and the camera work was a bit shaky. They need to stray away from that in the future.

Finally I will say that Craig did much better in this film. He was ****ed off a lot but he had an excuse for it this time. He was more sophisticated and did a better job with the humor. I think he will get even better from here.

I will post my final long review in a few days after I see it once or twice more. So far I like it, but I don't love it.