Bonds Knife

Comments

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Well, I was waiting for Ed Magianni to come to the table with this, but yeah that's my understanding too. I got one a while back based on Ed's say so.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Yep, it was then varified by an insider as well...ordered one as a Xmas gift to myself...:)
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    I know better than to dispute the findings of the "insider" information, but I know this knife and it sure didn't look like a Sting to me. Maybe it was an original Russell Sting instead of the Columbia River model.

At any rate, nicely done.
    I hear ya man...I think this one will get a lot of debate and I am not willing to go to the grave but two sources both said the same thing so it would be a helluva coincidence...{[]
  • Monza860Monza860 USPosts: 501MI6 Agent
    Nice find Mantis, can't wait to pick one up.
    Away at Boot Camp, won't be back until April the earliest.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/monza860/
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Even without the straps, tha sheath does not look like the one in the film, are there different versions of the knife? Optional sheaths?
  • another way to dieanother way to die Posts: 111MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    its a sweet knife i must say B-)
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    I hear ya man...I think this one will get a lot of debate and I am not willing to go to the grave but two sources both said the same thing so it would be a helluva coincidence...{[]

Make that three sources. The sheath also looked incorrect to me so I havn't weighed in with the news until now. Problem is, we see it for such a short time and as we get ready to take the evidence in, it has already gone.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    That's interesting. I have a "letter opener" made by Edge Design that is basically identicle to this knife with one exception. It's made of fiber-glass filled polymer so it doesn't set off metal detectors. It doesn't hold an edge very well either though. I keep it in my briefcase to make me feel like a spy :)
    For those who have screen caps of the knife... While it is "verboten" to post images on the AJB site, isn't it okay to post a link?

This is a pretty interesting subject, and while I too don't dispute the insider information ....

I did note that the AG Rusell knife seems to have been made both in Taiwan and Germany. Prehaps that is the difference?
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

Make that three sources. The sheath also looked incorrect to me so I havn't weighed in with the news until now. Problem is, we see it for such a short time and as we get ready to take the evidence in, it has already gone.

It is on screen a very short time. It hasn't been worth another ticket to QoS to try to confirm it again. I haven't seen any screen caps of the scene yet, so if someone has links that would be cool.
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Here's a link that may explain why the sheath in the above pic doesn't look like what I saw in the film:
    http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=4654.0

All we see is Craig handing the knife,sheath tip up,off to other SIS guys, and the modded sheath
    in the link does look like what I saw...

Regards,
    Tecolote
    Tecolote,

Good link, this might explain the differences between the stock knife and the screen knife - since without the cordura the sheath looks much closer to what we see in the film.

Any ideas if the screen used knife is far east or german in origin?
    Tecolote wrote:
    Here's a link that may explain why the sheath in the above pic doesn't look like what I saw in the film:

All we see is Craig handing the knife,sheath tip up,off to other SIS guys, and the modded sheath

Regards,
    Tecolote

This is I think the key to the whole mystery. It does in fact look like the Cordura was removed. I can get behind this much more now.
    Now that sounds logical....nice find on the explanation!
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for the delay in my chiming in on this.
    Prior to the films release, my friend Dave Di Pietro (who works at Museum Replicas / Atlanta Cutlery) advised me that they were contacted by one of the propmasters expressing interest in obtaining a fixed blade for the film. They purchased several knives and ultimetly called back to let him know they deceided to go with the Columbia River AG Sting. They purchased 7 of this knife.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    I have an extra S&W HRT for sale if anyone is interested. $20 delivered in the US.

PM me if interested.
    Tecolote wrote:

Regards,
    Tecolote

Has anyone attempted this yet? Curious about your experiences. I am getting mine this week and thinking about removing it.

LMK.
    I did it...pretty easy...will post pics later
    The Mantis wrote:
    I did it...pretty easy...will post pics later

Thanks M. Did you use an exacto knife to remove the cordura from the shealth?

C
    I did use an exactor knife then some goo be gone on the glue that remained. I also woundup using a dremel to take the extra flashing off and as you can see still need to sand down the edges of the sheath a bit more:

DSC04270.JPG
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    Is there anywhere in the UK that this knife can be purchased legally???
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
    Heinnies have them.
    The knife Mantis has does not seem to have a drain hole at the bottom of the shealth like the one I saw in the film .... or am I wrong?
    7289 wrote:
    The knife Mantis has does not seem to have a drain hole at the bottom of the shealth like the one I saw in the film .... or am I wrong?

No it doesn't. Although i got the same info on this knife being used I'm still not 100% convinced. The sheath is definately wrong, even with the mods.
    I have now bought the S&W and the AG Russell knives. Both are nice knives - the AG Russell is the better of the two.

Maybe someone with connections could make a phone call and nail this down...
    edited December 2008
    Folks, the sheath, once the leather is discarded DOES have a hole at the bottom. You just can't see it without taking off the leather...here are some better pics which leads me to believe this is the knife WITh the sheath worked on:

DSC04280.JPG

DSC04281.JPG
    Oooooh inriguing. I had the opinion that the hole was more on the rim edge though like the S&W knives. The knife it seems is accurate, but I think the sheath was something else. Unless they modded the original kydex inner more than we think.
    THE PLOT THICKENS!!! :007)

Maybe they did use a different sheath. I still need to cut away some of the plastic on mine.
    We need the Blu-Ray DVD and we need it NOW X-(

It's a great knife though, and very Bondian.