Connery Bond Homage Watch

Comments

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Wow! That was quick. The MKII Bond Sub, tentatively known as the Kingston, wll be a cool addition to my Bond watch collection.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    I would think the lug width would remain 20mm. The case size of the original was about 38mm, so I opted for the slightly smaller case size. He offered slightly smaller or slightly larger case sizes and then oversize cases. The oversize cases I think would be ridiculous for a proper Connery hommage watch.

Hi DG, based on some of the specs already finalized, what did you personally have in mind for you to want a case smaller than the 38mm of the original? Would it be to correct a design flaw in the original, or is it entirely for preference?

Ideally at first, there's the opportunity to to "correct" the shortcomings of the GF movie watch (for example, 20mm strap vs. 18mm), but later felt that I'd personally want a true homage watch that approximates the original as close as possible, warts and all, falling short of becoming a replica.
    Based on the survey the watch will feature the following specifications:
    Size: 39-39.3 mm in diameter
    Length: 47.90 mm
    Crystal: Domed sapphire with AR coating on the interior
    Crown: Trip-lock style crown
    Dial: primary dial will be non-date with perhaps a date option

Based on the watch specs so far, would you know the size of the Kingston's dial? I'm curious about customizing options since there are varying preferences among the pollsters on what to include/exclude on the dial, and IMO some to the point where the "homage" effect can be missed entirely.

BTW, DG, what's your opinion on Mk II quality compared to a real Rolex in terms of percentage (100% would be at par)? Not expecting 100% and because many on the MkII forum vouch for the quality, I'd still consider the price a bargain compared to the $5K price tag of a new, basic Submariner.

PS: I tried sending you a PM, but was blocked? :)
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited February 2009
    superado wrote:
    I would think the lug width would remain 20mm. The case size of the original was about 38mm, so I opted for the slightly smaller case size. He offered slightly smaller or slightly larger case sizes and then oversize cases. The oversize cases I think would be ridiculous for a proper Connery hommage watch.

Hi DG, based on some of the specs already finalized, what did you personally have in mind for you to want a case smaller than the 38mm of the original? Would it be to correct a design flaw in the original, or is it entirely for preference?

Ideally at first, there's the opportunity to to "correct" the shortcomings of the GF movie watch (for example, 20mm strap vs. 18mm), but later felt that I'd personally want a true homage watch that approximates the original as close as possible, warts and all, falling short of becoming a replica.
    Based on the survey the watch will feature the following specifications:
    Size: 39-39.3 mm in diameter
    Length: 47.90 mm
    Crystal: Domed sapphire with AR coating on the interior
    Crown: Trip-lock style crown
    Dial: primary dial will be non-date with perhaps a date option

Based on the watch specs so far, would you know the size of the Kingston's dial? I'm curious about customizing options since there are varying preferences among the pollsters on what to include/exclude on the dial, and IMO some to the point where the "homage" effect can be missed entirely.

BTW, DG, what's your opinion on Mk II quality compared to a real Rolex in terms of percentage (100% would be at par)? Not expecting 100% and because many on the MkII forum vouch for the quality, I'd still consider the price a bargain compared to the $5K price tag of a new, basic Submariner.

PS: I tried sending you a PM, but was blocked? :)

Superado,

Sorry you were blocked. Some how you got into my blocked users window. Sorry about that, it was not intentional.

The original case size for the 6200, 6538 and the 5510 is referred to as being 38mm, however, Bill may have measured them or had someone measure them with a caliper. The real size may have been closer to 37.8mm or somthing and rounded up for standardizing purposes.

I think the Connery/Bond MKII homage watch is progressing nicely. So far it looks like C3 for the luminous, gilt printing, gold hands, and the name "Kingston" in reference to Dr. No and where it was filmed. The original had an acrylic "Tropic" crystal, but the upgrade to domed saphire should capture the original look. The AR coating is an upgrade over the original which will make it Anti-Reflective. A nice addition. Trip-Lock crown is also an upgrade, the originals had Twin-Lock like the early 5513's. It's not noticebale though. The increase in size to 39 or 39.3mm will make the watch a little larger, but I think it will still capture the charm of the original.

As for what strap you choose to wear it on, I switch off myself. But 18mm is screen accurate to Goldfinger and Thunderball for 20mm lugs. The Camfam strap should fit the bill nicely.

Don't worry about the options. MKII/Bill Yao has always offered customizeable options to make your watch bespoke. If you need help, I can give you pointers on how to outfit your watch to look Bond propper. Note, there was no date dial on Connery's Submariner.

MKII quality is top notch. I am presently wearing my Stingray, which is a homage to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Fit and finish is what you would expect from any high end watch brand.

So, where does Rolex get off charging so much? Well, their standard answer is they sell every watch they make. Rolex made it's bones as an innovator decades ago. That along with careful advertising has made them the watch brand everybody wants to topple, including Omega. When my father turned 70 a few years ago, my family chipped in and bought him a new Submariner. For the occasion, no other brand would do.

Is the Rolex really worth the extra money pound for pound? Probably not. But it's all about reputation. As for me, I like discovering boutique watch companies like MKII. I am a watch nut, not just a Bond watch nut. I have lots of different watches that have nothing to do with James Bond. Camfam is coming out with his new Bradley Dive watch, and I think I'm going to jump on that one too. It's just too cool for school!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    don't mean to be rude, but I would not dare to compare the ETA 2836-2 with a Rolex movement.

I am also curious, why MKII did not offer the exact case dimensions, which are well known for the 6538 but only slightly bigger or slightly smaller.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited February 2009
    Bondtoys wrote:
    don't mean to be rude, but I would not dare to compare the ETA 2836-2 with a Rolex movement.

I am also curious, why MKII did not offer the exact case dimensions, which are well known for the 6538 but only slightly bigger or slightly smaller.

I don't think you are being rude, a lot of people feel the way you do. However, ETA movements power a lot of high end watches. They are some of the best out there. The idea that one is better than another has more to do with branding than anything else.

A perfect example of branding is the fact that the Rolex's 6238 (George Lazenby's OHMSS chronograph) was powered by an up-graded Valjoux 72. This same movement also powered a wide variety of other watch brand's 3 register chronographs of the period. A version of the Breitling Navitimer even had it.

As for why the MKII will be slightly larger, that has to do with the poll. Most people apparently wanted it to be larger.

Your magazine is on its way.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    hello DG,

thanks. I may have expressed it wookie as Asp9mm says. ;)

To my knowledge, the correct diameter for the 6538 would be 38 mms and at the poll we had only the option to vote slightly bigger or slightly smaller. We did not have an option to vote for the exact dimensions and I wonder why.

edited February 2009
    Bondtoys wrote:
    hello DG,

thanks. I may have expressed it wookie as Asp9mm says. ;)

To my knowledge, the correct diameter for the 6538 would be 38 mms and at the poll we had only the option to vote slightly bigger or slightly smaller. We did not have an option to vote for the exact dimensions and I wonder why.

Bondtoys,

I think perhaps Mr. Yao might have offered the smaller size because he may have measured a 6200, 6538 or 5510. His exact measurement may have been slightly smaller than 38mm. So the real size may be slightly smaller, but not having ever measured it, I can't be sure. The size of the "big crown" Submariner is referred to in various texts as being 38mm. They may have simply rounded up the exact actual size which is slightly smaller.

My MKII Stingray is 1mm over size to the original Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Perhaps Mr. Yao is trying to prevent his watches from being passed off as originals by going slightly larger.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Perhaps Mr. Yao is trying to prevent his watches from being passed off as originals by going slightly larger.

DG

Thanks DG, that may be a VERY good reason. {[]

Thanks DG, yes, I would appreciate guidance in getting the homage watch as close as possible to the movie version, sans the branding.

Given the pooled input from the group and indications where Mr. Yao is going with his final determination on the design, how close do you think the watch will approximate the look and feel of the Connery original?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    Thanks DG, yes, I would appreciate guidance in getting the homage watch as close as possible to the movie version, sans the branding.

Given the pooled input from the group and indications where Mr. Yao is going with his final determination on the design, how close do you think the watch will approximate the look and feel of the Connery original?

Superado,

I have no problem in providing the details in getting your watch Bond propper. In fact others have requested similar information. When all the polling is finished and the details worked out as to what will be offered, I'll post about it here.

So far, in my estimation, the "Kingston" seems to be progressing nicely. A a whole lot of people want things that depart from the Connery/Bond Sub.
    Red triangles on the bezel, silver hands, extra gredations between 0 and 15 on the bezel were not on Connery's Sub. What it will come down to is what options Bill provides. I'm quite sure, he will offer the real Bond options. If not, what's the point? It's supposed to be a Bond homage not a generic "big crown" no shoulders Sub.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    I saw your most recent post there, DG. I'm glad you put it out there and I'm curious to see the replies, esp. from Mr. Yao. Yes, what would be the point in getting a 60's style sub w/out the Bond association? I understand the desire to not have any blatant reference to Bond, like having an Aston Martin with the gun barrel logo on the hub caps! But I hope its a case where some of those pressing for little or no association w/Bond weren't aware of the project begining as a Connery Homage, unless they do know that but want to thwart that intent for their own agenda.
    This is what Bill said in response to what I said below:

Let me assure them that the....

primary goal here is to produce an homage to the Bond Sub as seen in the movies. That being said there will be two bezel insert options. One of them will have a red triangle and minute markers. The other one will be just like the one in the movie with the exception of the plastic lume dot. The lume dot will be a conventional recessed lume dot like you see on the Sea Fighter in the banner at the top of the forum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donald Grant
    Bill,

A number of AJBers (Absolutely James Bond) have asked me about how I think this project is progressing. I've told them I think it is going well. I think most of their concerns revolve around thing's that were not on Connery's watch that are being discussed, ie red bezel triangles, extra minute markers on the bezel between 0 and 15, silver hands, etc. The Bond guys are concerned that the Bond options will be available and not polled out of existence. They want their watch to look the way Bond's did.

I told them I think it will boil down to what final options will be available so that the watch they buy can be optioned to look Connery/Bond correct. As I see it, this is all part of the process, but perhaps you can speak to this issue.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Just an update. Bill Yao has started a new thread concerning the MK II Connery/Bond homage watch now known as the Kingston over at WUS. Here is apicture of the prototype dial:

KingstonDial.jpg

You can follow the progress on the Kingston thread at WUS here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=2155749#poststop

It looks like Bill is going through an aweful lot of trouble to get it right. Just read about the process for creating the dial. And it looks like it will have "L Swiss L" on the dial too. I'm looking forward to this one.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Much obliged for the update, DG. Wow, I am impressed with the dedication and attention to detail in that post that to me is strongly indicative of what we're in store for. The back-and-forth on that board can be overwhelming that it's been a while since I last went there and even forgot my password. Anyway, I for one can wait longer since some unexpected hobby expenses have suddenly sprung up but I can look forward to a new daily wear watch to replace my old Seiko (the battery is 6 years old and I hope it can stick it out a bit more), just in time to enjoy it by next spring or summer. That reminds me to see if I can still get a couple of Camfan's straps, hoping I'm not too late!
    Yep, I think Bill is doing a fantastic job. I can attest to his work since I got one of his modified Seiko Divers years ago, followed by a MK II Stingray 50, a homage to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. They are both great pieces of very high quality that offer great value for the money. There are several other pieces that he makes that I wouldn't mind adding to my collection either.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,349MI6 Agent
    Thank you DG for the update. This is looking good. Can't wait to get mine - when do you think the first 100 would be shipped - I know Bill stated 4th quarter 2009 - before December?
    Thanks.
    edited October 2009
    Here are the latest mock-ups of the Connery/Bond homage watch from Bill Yao over at Mark II Watches:

kingston_pre-prod_1.jpg

kingston_pre-prod_2.jpg

I think the watch looks fantastic apart from the 7mm generic stand in crown. The 8mm MK II crown with correct bevel is due in at the end of the month. Although not an exact copy of the Connery Submariner, from the pictures I'd say Bill pretty much nailed the look with a resounding "thwack" of the hammer. Nice Job! Can't wait for this one.

The straps pictured are not the Corvus strap which I prefer, however they both come with the cloth keeper without having
    to do surgery. I think Bill is going to provide the second version with the watch. You can always upgrade to the Corvus/Phoenix strap if you choose.

DG

Edit: Go here for the thread over at WUS:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=2347106#poststop
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • aliasrichmondaliasrichmond Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    edited October 2009
    Hi Guys,

The 2nd strap Donald mentioned above, is already available in 18mm, 20mm & 22mm, with a period rounded thumbnail buckle in brushed or polished finish.

They are made in the UK

r7re5h.jpg
    da4bp.jpg
    bgqxde.jpg

£15.00 GBP / $25.00
    Postage £1.00 UK, $5.00 international

pm/email me if interested

Rgds
    Jim
    Thank you DG for the update. Can't wait to get mine. Looks like its gonna be in Jan 2010 before we got it right?
    Here are the latest mock-ups of the Connery/Bond homage watch from Bill Yao over at Mark II Watches:

kingston_pre-prod_1.jpg

kingston_pre-prod_2.jpg

I think the watch looks fantastic apart from the 7mm generic stand in crown. The 8mm MK II crown with correct bevel is due in at the end of the month. Although not an exact copy of the Connery Submariner, from the pictures I'd say Bill pretty much nailed the look with a resounding "thwack" of the hammer. Nice Job! Can't wait for this one.

The straps pictured are not the Corvus strap which I prefer, however they both come with the cloth keeper without having
    to do surgery. I think Bill is going to provide the second version with the watch. You can always upgrade to the Corvus/Phoenix strap if you choose.

DG

texas007 wrote:
    Thank you DG for the update. Can't wait to get mine. Looks like its gonna be in Jan 2010 before we got it right?

kingston_pre-prod_1.jpg

kingston_pre-prod_2.jpg

DG

I think somone speculated that it would be January 2010. I'm hoping for Christmas. Either way, Christmas present or New Year's gift, it will work for me.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    DG,
    Do you have any updates on this? Can't wait to get mine.
    -{
    I think somone speculated that it would be January 2010. I'm hoping for Christmas. Either way, Christmas present or New Year's gift, it will work for me.
    texas007 wrote:
    DG,
    Do you have any updates on this? Can't wait to get mine.
    -{

There was never any definitive date set. However, I recently did some surfing over at WUS and it appears that certain parts have been delayed. So, it looks like it won't happen before the new year. As for a specific date in the new year, I hope it's in January as apposed to February. When I pre-ordered my MK II Stingray 50, there were delays as well, but I was more than happy when I took delivery. Likewise, my custom MK II Seiko was delayed too, but that was a function of it being sent directly from MK II to IWW for the bead blasting.

Hold tight, you won't be dissapointed.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Thank you for the update DG!
    DG,
    Do you have an update on this?
    Thanks
    -{
    edited January 2010
    texas007 wrote:
    DG,
    Thanks
    -{

I have not heard anything recently. I did check WUS today and there were no updates. I'm hoping for delivery this month, but if memory serves my Stingray 50 was not delivered on time either. I'm not worried though because Bill Yao does top notch work. I am anxious to finger-f**k the hell out of it though. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Oh, I have gotten some e-mails about the re-vamp of the MKII website, but nothing related to the Kingston. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Not worried at all - just wants it in my hand and on my wrist...
    texas007 wrote:
    DG,
    Thanks
    -{

I have not heard anything recently. I did check WUS today and there were no updates. I'm hoping for delivery this month, but if memory serves my Stingray 50 was not delivered on time either. I'm not worried though because Bill Yao does top notch work. I am anxious to finger-f**k the hell out of it though. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Oh, I have gotten some e-mails about the re-vamp of the MKII website, but nothing related to the Kingston. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

DG
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    MK11 website says late February for first deliveries. And then general ordering will be opened up.
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Thanks for the update Expat.
    -{
    ExpatJB wrote:
    MK11 website says late February for first deliveries. And then general ordering will be opened up.
    Bill Yao has posted an update about the Kingston project at his MKII blog. Here is an updated picture of the Kingston:

kingston_crown_sm.jpg

More pictures of the Kingston with riveted bracelet here:

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/2010/03/01/project-kingston-update/

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • gparamusgparamus Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    Hi Rick, its George. Could he fabricate the divers' case for the Top Time used in thunderball? Thanks.