Connery Bond Homage Watch

Comments

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Which strap is everyone going with for this watch? I'm having a tough time deciding between the Corvus normal or gray versions and the Aliasrichmond version. The normal Corvus strap seems to have the right color. The gray is a nice option as well. I also prefer the metal strap holders on the Corvus. However, the Aliasrichmond has the vintage brushed buckle which I prefer. I'm hoping I don't have to find someone to put these pieces together so I get the perfect strap...What strap are you guys picking up?

Well I thought at one time the Kingston was going to be supplied with the Aliasrichmond strap. If memory serves, I think that changed. Personally, I like the regular Corvus strap which is made by Phoenix Straps Ltd. I also like the old Grey/Black Phoenix strap and have been complimented on several occasions while wearing it. I think if you're going for one of the screen capture looks that shows the red, for my money Corvus has the best one going (red/green/black). I was recenctly going to buy the Corvus red/black/grey G-10, for a mil watch that I have but they are out of the G-10's at the moment.

The Aliasrichmond strap is not bad looking to me, it just does not look like that common screen capture. The colors are a little different. The buckle, however, looks spot on to what Connery wore and would be an easy swap to the Corvus strap. I don't own an Aliasrichmond strap as yet, and the color combination is somewhat understated, just not what one sees on screen.
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Here is the latest from MK II on the Kingston in an email with a link to the blog:

"I just finished the first test assembly. If the rest of the review goes well it will be the first custom Kingston to ship.

The Prebuilt watches that are to be assembled in Switzerland should be on their way to the assembler next week.

I took some pics of the test assembly process and will be posting them here and on the forum over the next few days."

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/2010/09/28/kingston-update-september-29-2010/

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I've regularly been logging in to check on my order ticket during this past month. I guess I missed the details about the choices of straps, and maybe other options? Are these listed somewhere on Bill's Kingston blog, or in fragments here and there in the layers and layers of Kingston forum threads? I'm just trusting that these options will be clearly listed in the notification emails we receive from Bill.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • 66cooper66cooper Posts: 71MI6 Agent
    The Kingston is only being shipped with the bracelet from what I have read. Bill couldnt work out a deal on the straps and still keep the watch within budget. One of the two proper Bond strap sellers is giving a discount to Kingston owners though. Will have to double check and let you know.

As for straps, this is a tough one. One is the correct design and buckle and the other is the correct color (at least from viewing off a DVD) Bill said the more vibrant of the two looked better on the Kingston but who knows. I might have to get both and see for myself:-)
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,349MI6 Agent
    Here are my straps

000541.jpg

Can't wait to get the Kingston
    -{
    edited September 2010
    66cooper wrote:
    The Kingston is only being shipped with the bracelet from what I have read. Bill couldnt work out a deal on the straps and still keep the watch within budget. One of the two proper Bond strap sellers is giving a discount to Kingston owners though. Will have to double check and let you know.

As for straps, this is a tough one. One is the correct design and buckle and the other is the correct color (at least from viewing off a DVD) Bill said the more vibrant of the two looked better on the Kingston but who knows. I might have to get both and see for myself:-)

Well, I don't think Bill and the Corvus brothers are friends. Which is why it was never in the cards to have the Kingston on a Corvus strap, at least not directly from MKII. I think the bad blood stems from the fact that MKII trademarked the name "Tornek-Rayville" first. If I'm not mistaken, Corvus had planned to use the same name on the Bradley dive watch. MKII beat them to it and released a limited edition Tornek-Rayville MKII based on the MKII Stingray. I don't think MKII had any foreknowledge of Corvus' plan, it's juist the way the cookie crumbled. MKII has been around longer, but I think both companies make great watches, and I'm happy to support both companies. The Corvus Bradley dive watch is very close to the original milspec and I chose it over the Tornek- Rayville MKII. I allready had a MKII Stingray 60. Both the Bradley and the Stingray 60 are great watches and I can't wait to get my Kingston and put it on a "Real Bond" strap with a self modified cloth keeper. Maybe an Aliasrichmond buckle for "anal" screen accuracy.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    It's interesting how the early submitted (and maybe all) custom orders will ship out before the pre-builts being assembled in Switzerland. I should have stuck with a custom because I wanted the extra timing points, but in the end went for a pre-built in the hopes of getting my order sooner.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    It's interesting how the early submitted (and maybe all) custom orders will ship out before the pre-builts being assembled in Switzerland. I should have stuck with a custom because I wanted the extra timing points, but in the end went for a pre-built in the hopes of getting my order sooner.

Yes, I noticed that too. Let's hope it does not take too much longer. If memory serves, I thought all watches were to be assembled in Switzerland, with the final custom tweeks being made by Bill in the U.S. Oh well, as the saying goes, "you pay your money and you take your chance".

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Another blog post from Bill Yao at MKII from an email:

"The first custom Kingston is done. I am absolutely spent. The first assembly is always the most stressful as you check every single detail looking for problems or weaknesess. I become hyper-sentive to small deviations in the amplitude of the watch as I regulate it, looking for the potential mis-alignment in the case tube and the placement of the movement in the case that can adversely affect the time keeping. I will post the pics that i took during the test assembly process starting tomorrow. "

Seen here:

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/2010/09/29/kingston-update-september-29th-part-2/

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • 66cooper66cooper Posts: 71MI6 Agent
    Interesting and completely understood about the MKII-Corvus issue. It was Aliasrichmond that will give a discount to us Kingston owners. I'm going with his for sure and maybe a Corvus. Although the Aliasrichmond isnt really the correct color, i think it REALLY looks amazing with the Kingston. The gold and red go better.

I am with you all on the custom orders. I when the other way thinking I would get it faster and since I never wear my watches for extended periods of time, timing isnt that important. I think that the pre-builts will ship first though as they all are being build by the Swiss. Bill is just doing the first to triple check everything, no?
    edited October 2010
    Well, as I said I think the original idea was to have all watches assembled in Switzerland, with the custom versions being hand finished and timed in the U.S. by Bill. According to his recent blog posts that seems to have changed. It does not matter to me either way. Sooner would be better than later of course, but I've been down this road before with MK II and I'm happy with the watches regardless of the time it took. An excellent product with superb fit and finish.

Bill has posted a new note on his blog with pictures of the case and what looks like a movement ring. For your information the real deal, of which the Kingston is a homage to, has no movement ring.

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Anyone own the newer thicker Corvus strap? Any reviews? It seems like I'm going to have to get a few Corvus and Aliasrichmond straps to make the perfect strap unless Corvus comes out with a new version.
    "Better late than never."
    More from the MKII blog:

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/2010/10/04/kingston-test-assembly-part-2-of-3/

I find the build up very exiting. Still, I can't wait for the money shot!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    very exciting indeed!
    Things are looking good.

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/2010/10/07/kingston-test-assembly-part-3a/

Also, I was looking for more MKII stuff and found this Kingston preview. Some nice images are in the middle of the page. I think these are prototypes unless they are review samples or something.

http://www.ablogtoread.com/mkii-watches-hands-on/
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Things are looking good.

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/2010/10/07/kingston-test-assembly-part-3a/

Also, I was looking for more MKII stuff and found this Kingston preview. Some nice images are in the middle of the page. I think these are prototypes unless they are review samples or something.

http://www.ablogtoread.com/mkii-watches-hands-on/

You beat me to it on part 3 and thanks for posting the link to A Blog To Read. Since I've dealt with Bill and MK II before over the years, I know his quality. But it's nice to see that others have a high opinion of his watches too.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    coming along nicely - thanks for keeping us up to date
    I wonder if those current customs that Bill is working on are all Kingstons? Pretty exciting if you're one of those whose order is shipping out and I'm surprised that's already happening. Has anyone gotten a ship email from Bill? I thought plank owners are supposed to still specify what pieces they want for their spare parts/accessories package, pending on Bill finalizing what actual parts will be available to choose from?
    superado wrote:
    I wonder if those current customs that Bill is working on are all Kingstons? Pretty exciting if you're one of those whose order is shipping out and I'm surprised that's already happening. Has anyone gotten a ship email from Bill? I thought plank owners are supposed to still specify what pieces they want for their spare parts/accessories package, pending on Bill finalizing what actual parts will be available to choose from?

I could be wrong, but I suspect the custom watches that he is referring to has to do with the other watches that he offers and not the Kingston. Also, I thought the spare parts were supposed to come later after the initial Kingston production. So much has changed, it's hard to keep track.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Anyone else get Corvus' email about new buckles on the Bond straps? I'm wondering if they are going to use the vintage design. They mention spring bars and a solid wire buckle. I'm not sure what they are talking about exactly...
    superado wrote:

I could be wrong, but I suspect the custom watches that he is referring to has to do with the other watches that he offers and not the Kingston. Also, I thought the spare parts were supposed to come later after the initial Kingston production. So much has changed, it's hard to keep track.

DG

Thanks, DG, that's good, the confusion factor has compounded for me along the way. I definitely prefer having the watch shipping first since the sorting out of the parts kits is looking to become a moderately complicated process in itself. I don't really mind the time (pun) considering the complications over the design, production and QC processes necessary to turn out such gems.
    Hello again, gents. I was just on the MkII site and saw in the accessories section a "Bond RAF style NATO" Watch strap selling for $15.00, which ***wow*** just caught the attention of my thrifty side. Can anyone shed some light on this, such as the maker and opinions on its quality vs. the Corvus' offerings, for example?

Here's the link, but unfortunately, the image is broken:
    http://www.mkiiwatches.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000411-1274155732
    I think someone did a breakdown on the straps on the MKII forum. It might have been Aliasrichmond. There were two threads about straps the last time I checked. I'm focused on the Aliasrichmond and the Corvus versions because they seem to be the best right now.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • BRIXMISBRIXMIS Great BritainPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    Thanks DG, as a plank owner, things look like they are nearing a conclusion. Watch looks fantastic in the pics.

Brixmis
    I thought the mock-up looked great, but the production watch is just sexy... so much so that it would be embarrassing for me to stand up right now!
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Just got my update - Whoooo Hoooooo -{
    Update on your Kingston Sales Order.

Line Up: 042 (Order in which the order will be shipped)

Serial Number: 005

Delivery Date: Due to the volume of the orders, there will be no specific date on delivery.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Winnie
    texas007 wrote:
    Just got my update - Whoooo Hoooooo -{
    Update on your Kingston Sales Order.

Line Up: 042 (Order in which the order will be shipped)

Serial Number: 005

Delivery Date: Due to the volume of the orders, there will be no specific date on delivery.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Winnie

Yes, I got my update too. My serial number is a good deal higher than yours. No double 0 for me, unfortunately. But not a deal breaker and further proof that I am in no way connected to MK II. I just like well made time pieces and I have no problem trumpeting the good work of others.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • BRIXMISBRIXMIS Great BritainPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    Also got my build confirmation yesterday, number 050 for me! ( thats not serial number, but number in the build process). Good news!