Connery Bond Homage Watch

Comments

• texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,349MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the update DG!!!
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    gparamus wrote:
    Hi Rick, its George. Could he fabricate the divers' case for the Top Time used in thunderball? Thanks.

Oh snap! George, you're here. Fantastic! AJB just keeps getting better and better. For those of you who don't know, George is a top notch modeler and prop maker with an excellent eye for detail. He's the guy who discovered the sub-second dial on Donald Grant's watch. Welcome, good to have you amongst us.

As to your question, I know Bill is exceedingly busy and I'm not sure he has the time for this. It would be perhaps better if there were a number of us requsting these. Still, Bill seems very approachable and it does not hurt to ask. How many of us would want the Breitling Top Time faux outer case? As I see it, the whole watch should fit into the case.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • 007 and a half007 and a half LondonPosts: 595MI6 Agent
    Hi George good to have your expert knowledge on this site :)
    edited March 2010
    Well, I wanted to post my feelings about the Kingston. When I first saw the new pictures, I thought it looked good except for the crown. Apparently other people at the WUS MKII forum felt the same way. However, Bill's response has mollified me. The problem is that the top "button" on the crown does not look that pronounced. Here is the crown of my 6538:

IMG_1314-1.jpg

See the difference?

But, if you look closely at the Kingston, the button is there. It just does not look that pronounced because it's reflecting the grey background. You can read more about this over at WUS. Bill promises better pictures of the crown. I'm satisfied now. From the pictures, the Kingston looks awesome and ticks all the boxes. It's going to be hard to wait for June!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    gparamus wrote:
    Hi Rick, its George. Could he fabricate the divers' case for the Top Time used in thunderball? Thanks.

Oh snap! George, you're here. Fantastic! AJB just keeps getting better and better. For those of you who don't know, George is a top notch modeler and prop maker with an excellent eye for detail. He's the guy who discovered the sub-second dial on Donald Grant's watch. Welcome, good to have you amongst us.

As to your question, I know Bill is exceedingly busy and I'm not sure he has the time for this. It would be perhaps better if there were a number of us requsting these. Still, Bill seems very approachable and it does not hurt to ask. How many of us would want the Breitling Top Time faux outer case? As I see it, the whole watch should fit into the case.

DG

Now I'm really curious, DG. What is the TB diver's case?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • qbviqbvi AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    gparamus wrote:

DG

Hi DG
    Count me in for the Breit TT case.
    cheers, Sid
    A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    i'm in too DG....

Often tgt abt having it made....

Nice one
    superado wrote:
    gparamus wrote:

DG

Now I'm really curious, DG. What is the TB diver's case?

The other watch that Connery wears in Thunderball (TB) is a Breitling Top Time with faux outer dive case. So in order to have the correct SA (screen accurate) Top Time, a faux outer case has to be fabricated.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • gparamusgparamus Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    Hi Rick and all, thank you so much for the kind and flattering words, much appreciated. This is my first 'blog'. I contacted Bill and he declined but put me in touch with a watch case fabricator in Florida. I sent him photos of the top Time and Thunderball geiger counter watch. I will post his response ASA I hear back from him. Hopefully, he can affordably make this for us, then all we need to do is drop the Top Time into it, assuming we all have one. George
    gparamus wrote:
    Hi Rick and all, thank you so much for the kind and flattering words, much appreciated. This is my first 'blog'. I contacted Bill and he declined but put me in touch with a watch case fabricator in Florida. I sent him photos of the top Time and Thunderball geiger counter watch. I will post his response ASA I hear back from him. Hopefully, he can affordably make this for us, then all we need to do is drop the Top Time into it, assuming we all have one. George

George, that's great news! Keep us informed and please post pictures of some of your fantasic work.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    This is the Red Grant Garote watch I made a while bakc. It incorporates a steel retractable wire. I'll try o list a new propr daily. I am incontact with the watch case fabricator and supplied him with more information, so lets keep out fingers crossed.
    George
    RXVE9.jpg

RXY8i.jpg

RX_Dr.jpg
    edited March 2010
    I need help in posting larger images. I selected the largest format and they are still small, help!

o9jm9.jpg

o9lRi.jpg

o9olr.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Oh WOW I want one :007)
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    Would that strap go on a Seamaster?
    Nice George! Keep us informed about the Top Time case project. So glad you're on this.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Hi All, sorry for the delay in responding. The watch case fabricator quoted a price of between $1500 and $2000 to make the Thunderball watch case, here is his message:

George, I can put your movement into a case that will look like the picture you have provided. The internal heights and diameters will of course will be different that your sample case because of the movement you want to use. What about the setting crown? Do I try to work it in or will you omit it also ? Will I Have the sample case during the fabrication process? I think I will need your sample case and the movement you want to use to see the possibilities of copying your sample case exactly or modifying the sizes so as to keep the character of the sample and yet house your movement trying to keep as much of the movement functions as possible. Your orginal case will remain unchanged and will be able to be re used. Price will be determined by the amount of time needed. Think about 1500 to 2000 for this case in stainless steel. It will be a working piece.

This is his contact information: Peter Wuischpard <caserepair@cfl.rr.com>
    If I understand correctly, you mean the watch movement (working parts) will be stripped out of a Breit. TT (ouch) and installed in a new case machined to movie specs? Re crown - to keep it as a working watch - the crown has to be usable and concealed under shell - need to flip watch over to wind. Hence the cost?

Would they have gone to so much trouble in the movie? I would have guessed in the movie they made a "cosmetic" shell to fit overthe Breit. - that's why there is no crown showing (concealed under shell).
    edited March 2010
    It's not impossible that the movement, dial and hands were removed and put in a special case for the movie. I just think it improbable. The easiest way for the film makers to do it would be to put the whole watch, case and all, inside a faux case. In that way, a watch maker would not be needed. Just someone capable of machining. Perhaps that's where the answer lies.

Thanks George for persuing this and thanks for the "connect". I think better pricing exists where several cases are to be made. We need a machinist with perhaps CNC capability and a minimum order to get better pricing.

DG

Edit: Looks like this is the guy you're dealing with:

http://www.watchcaserepair.com/

Looks like he does top shelf work.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    edited March 2010
    Was Grants Watch, from the Movie Ever Identified for certain

in the novel, it is described as "a bulky gold wristwatch on a
    well-used crocodile strap. It was a Girard-Perregaux".

Fleming was maybe describing a watch like this in the novel,
    gp_image.487251.jpg

But it was deffinetly a thick built up modified watch in the film of FRWL

in the film it looks like a trench / WWII commando style watch
    or a cased pocket watch convert casing, obviously the chunky
    casing was used for housing the spring / spindle for the
    garrotte wire etc, I doubt very much that the film watch
    worked / kept time, as the face was not seen long enough
    to see the hands ticking, so it would not have been essential.

it terms of look and shape and detail in a replica to the film,
    I think fellow forum member Jamie's watch a last year was
    very good and pretty true tribute to the film.

Garotte%20Watch.jpg

I too have developed a new replica which will be available to
    order in the next few weeks. keeps perfect time and garrottes
    All you wanted to know about Red Grant's watch is here:

http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/james-bonds-watches-2/

The literary Grant watch did not exist as written until fairly recently. It now exists as the Girard Perregaux 1966 Full Calendar. The movie watch had a sub-second dial as discovered by gparamus (George).

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg

The literary Grant watch did not exist as written until fairly recently. It now exists as the Girard Perregaux 1966 Full Calendar. The movie watch had a sub-second dial as discovered by gparamus (George).

DG

Excellent article Rick

I read this at your first posting before but on reading it again, I am really impressed as your horological passion is quite evident. I like the part re your watch "living" with you on your Merchant Marine service - "the essence of selecting the watch appropriate for your lifestyle."

Thanks for the effort in writing these articles - really enjoyable stuff, S
    qbvi wrote:

DG

Excellent article Rick

I read this at your first posting before but on reading it again, I am really impressed as your horological passion is quite evident. I like the part re your watch "living" with you on your Merchant Marine service - "the essence of selecting the watch appropriate for your lifestyle."

Sid, thanks. That's quite the endorsement coming from you. Yes, I love watches. I guess you could call me a WIS, but I don't particularly like that word. The affliction started for me young. I would go through my dad's boxes of stuff that included old watches, his dog tags, knives etc. I remember coming accross a watch that looked like the one Connery wore in Thunderball. Close, I suppose, in that they both ended in X. It was a Timex, not a Rolex but it suited my purposes at the time. Proof that the Rolex Submariner is a design classic, since just about every watch maker has knocked it off. It would be great to see Bond return wearing a Rolex Submariner. Alas, I think that ship has sailed. But you never know. Hope springs eternal I guess.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • 007 and a half007 and a half LondonPosts: 595MI6 Agent
    qbvi wrote:

DG

Excellent article Rick

Sid, thanks. That's quite the endorsement coming from you. Yes, I love watches. I guess you could call me a WIS, but I don't particularly like that word. The affliction started for me young. I would go through my dad's boxes of stuff that included old watches, his dog tags, knives etc. I remember coming accross a watch that looked like the one Connery wore in Thunderball. Close, I suppose, in that they both ended in X. It was a Timex, not a Rolex but it suited my purposes at the time. Proof that the Rolex Submariner is a design classic, since just about every watch maker has knocked it off. It would be great to see Bond return wearing a Rolex Submariner. Alas, I think that ship has sailed. But you never know. Hope springs eternal I guess.

DG

Firstly, I'd like to second what Sid said. Secondly, I'd agree with you DG in that I'd also like to see Bond wearing a Submariner as a link to his Naval background and also a homage to Connery's Bond.
    Been some time since last news on the MK2. Has anyone received theirs or know of Bill's progress?
    Been some time since last news on the MK2. Has anyone received theirs or know of Bill's progress?
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,349MI6 Agent
    nothing - I am on the plank order too
    On August 31, 2010, I got an email update on the Kingston project with a link to the MK II blog. It said the following with respect to the Kingston:

"Having received the first batch of parts we have been and continue to review the parts and begin the process of organizing the parts in preparation for the trip to the assembler. The first batch of parts should be ready to leave here by the end of next week.

As many of you already know the orders for the Plank Owners and the Second stage have been entered into the ticket system. At the moment we are working on the serial numbers and organizing the orders in order to figure out the order in which we will be delivering the watches. The ticket system will be updated with this information as soon as it is ready.

I expect to begin test assemblies of the Kingston over the Labor Day weekend. This will determine what adjustments will have to be made to optimize the assembly process and to complete additional QC of the mass production.

Parts kits….I will work on the web page ordering for the Pre-order customers to make their selections for their parts kits after the first batch of components are on their way to Switzerland. "

Here's the link:

http://www.blogmkiiwatches.com/main/2010/08/31/kingston-update-september-1st/

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Thanks DG & Kan for the update

Its a beautiful piece of work - looking forward to seeing it in the flesh
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Which strap is everyone going with for this watch? I'm having a tough time deciding between the Corvus normal or gray versions and the Aliasrichmond version. The normal Corvus strap seems to have the right color. The gray is a nice option as well. I also prefer the metal strap holders on the Corvus. However, the Aliasrichmond has the vintage brushed buckle which I prefer. I'm hoping I don't have to find someone to put these pieces together so I get the perfect strap...What strap are you guys picking up?
    "Better late than never."