Tributes Thread

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent

Hi everyone, some of you were paying tribute to Modesty Blaise actor Monica Vitti on this thread. Here's the Obituary from the Times. Drag it onto your desktop to read it...

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

And here's the Times obit for Jack Hedley, who of course had a small role as Melina Havelock's father in For Your Eyes Only but as this piece make clear, did a lot of other things too.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent

What an incredibly sad day for Australia. Losing two of its greatest sons in one day. RIP Rod Marsh and Shane Warne. Legends of the game🏏

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent

I recently watched Modestly Blaise. RIP to Monica Vitti. Jack Hedly too, obviously.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,240MI6 Agent

I've been at work all day and had go look this up yo check it was true.

OMFG. How terribly sad. Marsh played in one of the great Aussie Test teams and was a notorious unconventional guy with a great respect for the game and the way it should be played. C. Marsh, B. Lillie was an epitaph for many a batsmen.

Marsh was Shane Warne's hero. He too played the game hard and partied hard. I hated him when the Aussies played Engkand, but my god what a magnificent competitor and a superb spin bowler. Almost unplayable at times. It is a privilege to say I'd seen him bowl.

R.I.P.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

As a cricket fan. I'm shocked by the news of Warne's death. Like many non-Australians, I loved to hate Shane Warne when we was competing against my team, but I also have the utmost respect for his talent. I was a young child when Warne arrived on the scene, and I remember very well the first test series that Australia played in South Africa after apartheid. Warne was involved in a bit of on-field abuse directed against South African batsman Andrew Hudson, one of the most decent and likeable blokes imaginable. Around that time Warne also had a strong psychological dominance over Daryll Cullinan, an exceptionally talented batsmen, but one who crumbled in the face of Warne's talent as both a bowler and a sledger. No wonder we grew up seeing Warne as a villainous foe. In later years (and especially after his retirement) my admiration for Warne has grown immensely.

As for Rod Marsh, he was a player before my time, but the abiding image I always have of him is during the infamous Trevor Chappell underarm incident, he was standing behind the stumps and appeared to be saying "No, mate" as Greg and Trevor Chappell indicated their intention to bowl the final ball underarm. That seems to chime with Chrisno1's comment that Marsh respected the game and the way it should be played.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,157MI6 Agent

Sad to read that Veronica Carlson of Hammer fame has passed away aged 77. She also starred with Roger Moore in Crossplot, which I haven’t seen for probably 50 years, and The Saint and other popular cult series from that era.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

RIP William Hurt, he will be missed.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

The one of William Hurt's I recall was Body Heat with Kathleen Turner and our man John Barry doing the soundtrack. Ted Danson in an early, pre-Cheers role too. It's not shown much these days.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

RIP Peter Bowles. The epitome of the charming, rakish English gentleman. Surprised he never appeared in a Bond film at some point in his long career.

I was saddened to hear this. I loved Peter Bowles, whether he was in To the Manor Born, Glover in Only When I Laugh or in the first episode of Survivors, he always gave a production a touch of quality. In the sixties he was also in 2 David Hemmings films, the seminal Blow Up and The Charge of the Light Brigade. RIP Mr Bowles.

He was in the Sean Connery film The Offence that I reviewed a couple of weeks ago, too. Also, a few episodes of The Avengers. I guess he could have done Bond - perhaps Jim Fanning in Octopussy, or Kristatos in For Your Eyes Only, though he was too well known for other things then.

He was also a regular in the Leo McKern legal drama by John Mortimer, Rumpole of the Bailey, being reshown on Talking Pictures TV , it co-stars Samantha Bond who would go on to play Moneypenny.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of the death of the actor Peter Bowles. He was a familiar face on British TV for many years. I knew him best from an early episode of Tales of the Unexpected called 'Neck'.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent

I was saddened to hear of the death of the actress June Brown yesterday, aged 95. Although I stopped watching EastEnders back in 2000 Dot Cotton was an iconic character and June Brown was a legend. I once saw a documentary about her life and she was a good woman who didn't always have the easiest life.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Yes, not surprising at that age (95) then again she worked until just two years ago I think, so.... A touch of the Wilfrid Brambell as Steptoe Sir in her depiction of Dot Cotton, but this was a character that spanned decades of course, from about the mid-80s to 2020 or thereabouts. She popped up in other things until her EastEnders role as the chain-smoking, God-fearing slightly camp busybody, such as the classic movie Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Henry Patterson aka Jack Higgins passed away. A prolific author who wrote across the thriller, espionage and war genres. Not necessarily the very best of writers, but very popular and had mass appeal, famous most notably for The Eagle Has Landed. RIP.

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent

both Seinfeld moms (Estelle Harris & Liz Sheridan)

Legendary comic book artist and writer Neal Adams has passed away aged 80. He is most famous for his work on Batman but he worked on a whole range of comic titles for both DC and Marvel including Green Lantern and X-Men.

I'm sad to hear about the death of Jack Higgins. There are som many of us who enjoyed his books.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff

RIP Dennis Waterman, 74. Star of "Minder" and "The Sweeney" amongst others.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of Dennis Waterman's passing. "The Sweeney" was a superb series and "Minder" was hugely popular and entertaining in its day.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    edited May 2022

Agreed, RIP Dennis Waterman. A much under rated actor. I saw him on stage in the revival of My Fair Lady playing Alfred Doolittle alongside Martine McCutcheon and our own Jonathon Pryce. He was excellent in an excellent production. He will be missed.

RIP Dennis Waterman, 74. Gone far too soon. A legendary star of the small screen and movies like Up The Junction and Scars Of Dracula. You will be much missed, but you leave behind a legacy of countless hours of re-watchable TV.

A stalwart of Talking Pictures TV, it was unclear to me whether Dennis Waterman was an upper middle class lad masquerading as working class - a bit like Nicholas Lyndhurst from Only Fools... or a working class lad who could do posh. He popped up as a child actor in one of Talking Pictures recent acquisitions, as a kid whose porky pies get adults into trouble.

Part of two great TV double acts - with John Thaw and then George Cole.

Just remembered he popped up when we went to see Rula Lenska in Panto at the Wimbledon theatre around 1981, as he was dating her. It also starred Les Dawson, Christopher Timothy and Bernard Bresslaw - quite a line-up and Arthur Askey was meant to appear but he pulled out.

Continuing The Man Who Haunted Himself theme with @chrisno1 I too saw the My Fair Lady adaptation with Waterman and Prcye, though they had a stand-in for the showing I attended for Martine 'Sick Note' McCutcheon.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Very sad news. Another one gone too soon.

Such an underrated actor. Not many actors have two equally great parts to their name. As George Carter and Terry McCann he was great and very believable as both.

Scars of Dracula is one of my favourite guilty pleasures.

RIP Dennis. Thanks for the memories. You will be sadly missed.

That's very sad. A wonderful composer with a very individual style. RIP

Just read that Ray Liotta of Goodfellas has died aged 67 in the Dominican Republic, RIP.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

That's very sad. I always liked Liotta's roles. Strangely enough, I went through a spell where I was convinced that he had died six months ago.

Ray Liotta RIP. He'll be especially remembered for his role in Goodfellas.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

Sad to learn of Andy Fletcher's passing.

Depeche Mode are a great band (who imho could have written a great Bond theme. Cf. 'John the Revelator')

RIP Ray Liotta

His 'funny guy' scene with Joe Pesci is one of the greatest scenes ever.

Both gone far too soon.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.