Tributes Thread

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent

I don't think so but it is available on the BBC Blu-ray of the 2012 London Olympics as I remember picking it up in an exchange shop a few years ago.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent

Farewell, Ma’am.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I think there is an element of shock in the passing of The Queen. Even though she was very old and obviously unwell we had only seen her a day before with Liz Truss. It seems she caught everyone off guard and went quickly without fuss.

I think King Charles said it perfectly.

"Queen Elizabeth was a life well lived; a promise with destiny kept and she is mourned most deeply in her passing"

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent

It must be a strange feeling the first few times you sing "God save the king". Or "ging" as Charles III himself probably says.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Gave London a miss, Covid isn't over, nobody seen wearing face masks today, and the autumn booster jabs haven't kicked in.

Today's cartoon in the Times summed up one aspect of today's events for many:

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

While here is the take of the savage online satirists, Cold War Steve:

Roger Moore 1927-2017

The queen deserved a big goodbye, but as the cartoon reminds us - so do very many others. Brilliant drawing.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Country music legend Loretta Lynn has died. Famous for her autobiography Coal Miners Daughter and the film adaptation, Loretta was one of the first female singer - songwriters in the country music genre to specifically address women's issues. Her career lasted over 60 years. She was still recording in the 2000s, winning a Grammy with our own Jack White in 2004.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

She will be missed. One of the true greats.

edited October 2022

A true veteran actress. She was on the last ship from Britain to the US evacuating family members in WWII. Her first movie was "Gaslight" (1944) by George Cucor starring Ingrid Bergman. Personally I remember her best from "Murder, she wrote".

RIP.

Gaslight has of course passed into the popular vernacular as the term used to brand someone - usually female - insane by messing with their mind while pretending to befriend them.

Lansbury turned down the role of Nurse Ratchet in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the role was taken by Louise Fletcher who died a few weeks ago.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Lansbury would have been great in OFOTCN. A hugely underrated actress. Didn't she play Laurence Harvey's mother in The Manchurian Candidate despite being younger than him? She got an Academy nomination for that. And how many Emmys and Golden Globes did she win for Murder, She Wrote? Also much fun in Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

RIP.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent

Yes, she was brilliant in The Manchurian Candidate (as was Laurence Harvey and Frank Sinatra of course). I have that film on DVD and I really must watch it again soon as it's been too long. It just shows her range as an actress and that there was more to her than just playing Jessica Fletcher in Murder, She Wrote.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

RIP Robbie Coltrane

Actor, comedian and recurring character in 90s Bond. Will be much missed.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Very sad news. Wonderful actor. Will be greatly remembered for each of his roles. RIP

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

RIP Robbie Coltrane, wonderful as Zukovsky and in TV’s Cracker.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Sad to hear that. Loved by many, Inc my family (mainly for Hagrid).

Saw Robbie Coltrane was trending on Twitter, but so had Dr Who's Tom Baker and Ringo recently, so thought nothing of it.

In theory, not surprising given his weight but a man of such vitality. His Valentin Zhukovskly was a high point of the Brosnan era, and it's rare up until that point that the same actor got to return (as the same character).

Roger Moore 1927-2017

RIP Robbie Coltrane. I'll especially remember him for his fine performances in Harry Potter and James Bond. I happened to watch "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" last night, and Coltrane was one of the best people in it.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

RIP Robbie Coltrane. I love his performance as Zukovsky in Goldeneye (and TWINE to a lesser extent). Also his guest roles in Blackadder III and Blackadder's Christmas Carol, and of course Hagrid in Harry Potter. He also made a TV documentary series on engines called Coltranes, Planes and Automobiles which I particularly enjoyed.

RIP Robbie Coltrane.

Yes, one of ours, but also Cracker, Hagrid, that guy in Tutti Frutti, comedy guest slots, dramas, documentaries, extremely versatile, will be missed.

Sad and shocked to hear of the untimely death of Robbie Coltrane. He was a larger than life character and a great asset to the two Brosnan Bond films he appeared in as Valentin Zukovsky.

• Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent

RIP Mr. Coltrane.

A talented actor, to be sure.

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis, aged 87.

One of the pioneers of rock. RIP.

Goodness gracious! Great balls of fire! RiP Jerry Lee Lewis.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Leslie Phillips, of the Carry On films and “Ding Dong” fame has passed away at the grand age of 98.

Some Bond interest here, as he was married to Angela Scoular, RIP.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Sad to hear of the death of Leslie Phillips. He had a good innings. Sadly, his wife Angela Scoular came to a tragic end.

I saw Leslie Phillips as Mr Bennett in a stage show of Pride and Prejudice at Brighton Pavillion circa 1987, to prep for A' level. He was very good. Sometimes I think of doing a thread like this that points out how amazing it is that some people are still alive - like the young women who gave the forecast that allowed the D-day landings to go ahead, for instance - but wonder if it might jinx them. Anyway. Leslie Phillips would have been on the list, he made it to 98.

Oddly looking at his CV it's hard to quite see how he became so famous to us in the UK in the 70s and 80s, he wasn't the main star of Carry On, nor of the Doctor series (Dirk Bogarde was better known for that). But famous he was. He did broaden out into some highly respectable epic films such as Out of Africa and Empire of the Sun, which some Americans may recognise him from. Possibly White Mischief too though I haven't checked, it's the sort of thing he'd appear in and be very welcome though not totally memorable, the sort of role where he isn't an agent of change, you might say.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

He was. Didn't he star in CHARMER with Clive Owen? I think he had a respectable supporting career, you know, a cameo here, a decent scene or two there. I suspect he was popular in those boardroom / Whitehall / Noel Coward kind of plays in and out of the West End. One of the programs I remember hearing he was in was a sitcom called CASANOVA 75 which you simply couldn't get made today as his character's behaviour was so unPC, although as I understand it, he was also the butt-end of the jokes and usually got his comeuppance. Has anyone actually seen this show? I've only seen clips. It looks terrible and good at once. Leslie Philips is one of those actors that as long as I've been watching movies and television, he's always been around.

He'll be missed. RIP.