Tributes Thread

Comments

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent
    edited January 2023

David Crosby 1941 - 2023

I just bought my weekend copy of The Guardian and saw the headline that David Crosby has died aged 81. A counter-culture musical legend and twice inductee to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Crosby was in the Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash - which morphed into CSNY and down sized to Dave Crosby Graham Nash - as well as being a solo artist. His harmonies were beautiful, his lyrics intense and frequently fateful. He romanced Joni Mitchell, produced her first album, and lost her to Nash. All three remained friends for some years after their relationships foundered. His solo debut If Only I Could Remember My Name was underrated on release in 1971 but grows ever better over time, becoming more not less mysterious with every play. A consummate musician, an enormous ego - CSN was charged enough without the sudden appearance of Neil Young - a man who tended to speak first and think later, a drug addict who by his own admission ought to have died, Crosby cut an almost Don Quixote figure through the late sixties early seventies, projects coming and going, relationships failing, yet always seeming to rise above his troubles on a sea of imaginations, the windsails rotating, traction in the rain, music his love, eight miles high, soaring from page 43, a love friend, whose music I clutched at through a difficult time and whose anthems I will play today in his memory. RIP.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent

Sylvia Syms dies aged 89. I enjoyed her narration in the BBC's Talking Pictures documentaries but hadn't heard much of her lately. Best known for her role in Ice Cold in Alex with John Mills, Harry Andrews and Anthony Quayle of course but she popped up in other things, notably as the Queen Mother in The Queen with Helen Mirren. The BBC website has a decent tribute.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64426891

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Thanks for posting this Napoleon Plural, RIP Sylvia Sims.

She was one of those actresses you’d see in 50’s British movies and look at the cast list to find she was the only one who was still with us.

Ice Cold is a particular favourite.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff

Lisa Loring (1958-2023)

The first Wednesday Addams, from the b&w TV show. She was only about 6 then, and she has died from a stroke at 64. Another slice of childhood goes....

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

Cindy Williams of the TV sitcom Laverne & Shirley has passed away. She was 75.

Also passing away is actress Annie Wersching. She appeared in many American tv shows including 24, Bosch, and Star Trek: Picard. She died from cancer at only 45.

Burt Bacharach has died at 94. Very sad, I was listening to the Austin Powers Double LP on vinyl just the other day, with this brilliant adaptation.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent

RIP Burt Bacharach

let us not forget, he was one of ours

I actually think this was the best song from any Bond film

RIP Burt Bacharach. The word genius is overused these days, but Bacharach was a modern musical genius and deserving of the title.

RIP Burt Bacharach, a wonderful talent.

RIP Hugh Hudson and if I’m not mistaken, husband to Maryam D’Abo, my sincere condolences to her also.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent

Arne Treholt was a high-level Norwegian diplomat who was caught spying for the KGB and Saddam. He died yesterday in Moscow. This isn't a tribute, obviously. Good riddance to you, Arne.

RIP Raquel Welch, well known sex symbol and almost a Bond leading lady (TB), at 82.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited February 2023

An icon in her own right, Raquel Welch was the leading lady that 60s Bond never had; that's always been our loss.

RIP and condolences to her family and friends.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Oh, this is very sad. A very beautiful actress and much more talented than many give her credit for.

RIP Raquel Welch.

From my favourite film of hers:

https://24femmespersecond.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/raquel-welch-1967-fathom-1967.jpg

RIP Raquel Welsh. An incredibly beautiful woman who left us many entertaining movies. Recently I enjoyed the westerns "Bandolero" and "100 rifles". Condolences to her family and friends.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,222MI6 Agent

RIP Raquel Welch. I will never forget those early cinema outings as a kid to see you in Fantastic Voyage, One Million Years B.C and Fathom. And your performance in Hannie Caulder was wonderful.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

It's just occurred to me that Ms Welch is probably most famous to youngsters for a film she isn't even technically in- "The Shawshank Redemption".

• jorgem1jorgem1 Posts: 136MI6 Agent

Jane Fonda and Faye Dunaway were almost Bond girls too.

What Bond movie was Jane Fonda up for?

DAF, Number24.

So she lucked out? 😁

Hey, I like that one! However, that year she made "Klute", a classic thriller which got much better notices than DAF including for her role, so I guess you could say yes, she lucked out.

• jorgem1jorgem1 Posts: 136MI6 Agent

Raquel Welch's ethnicity was Bolivian, but born in Chicago. There wasn't a Latina Bond girl until 1989 in LTK.

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

RIP to actor and comedian Richard Belzer. He's best known for playing Detective John Munch on many different TV series on five television networks including Homicide: Life on the Street, Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, The Wire, The X-Files, Arrested Development, and The Beat and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Richard Belzer was 78.

Detective Munch has been my avatar on this board for many years.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent

I was sad to see the obituary in The Times today of the former schoolmaster and British political historian DR Thorpe who wrote well-regarded biographies of the Conservative prime ministers Eden, Macmillan and Douglas-Home as well as former Conservative Chancellor and Speaker of the House, Selwyn Lloyd. He died of undisclosed causes on 2 February 2023, aged 79. 

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Legendary ITV sports presenter Dickie Davies has died aged 94.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64700358

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Another sports commentary legend, John “Mottie” Motson has passed at the age of 77, RIP.

Sad to hear of the passing of Ricou Browning of Creature of the Black Lagoon and our own Thunderball and Never Say Never Again, aged 93. RIP.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of the death of Ricou Browning. His underwater filming on Thunderball was exemplary and pioneering. I remember reading that he had to design his own camera to be able to film underwater.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent

RIP Wayne Shorter, saxophonist and composer

August 25, 1933 – March 2, 2023

member of Miles Davis's Second Great Quintet in the 1960s (alongside Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams)

and founding member of 1970s jazz fusion group Weather Report (alongside Joe Zawinul and later Jaco Pastorius)

he also collaborated many times with Joni Mitchell

his best known composition is probably Footprints, here he is playing it with the Miles Davis Quintet in Sweden, 1967