Tributes Thread

Comments

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent

Rest In Power, Kevin Conroy. You will always be my Batman. I almost never missed an episode of Batman: The Animated Series when it was on, and I enjoyed the many other animated shows, movies and video games where he was the voice for The Dark Knight Detective. Really glad that I got to see Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm (1993) on the big screen back in September as part of the Batman Day celebrations.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I suppose the Carry On's and Dr movies were a big deal back in the day. Even though he was 98 and hadn't really been seen for a while it was warming to see #DingDong trending all day on Twitter.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent

Talking of actors you might have thought were long gone... well Nehemiah Persoff died only in spring this year. Who's he, you might ask. Well, he played the key role of teed-off gangster Napoleon Bonaparte in the classic comedy Some Like It Hot. He made it to 102 years old. I don't recall anything about it in the news at the time.

'You too Spats... on your feet!'

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Yes, I know him from Columbo where he played the victim Jesse Jerome in the last episode starring repeat offender Jack Cassidy, Now You See Him (1976). A quite remarkable age.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I think the only notable person from Some Like It Hot still alive is the memorable saucy bellboy ('That's how I like 'em, big and sassy!'), the actor being born in 1940.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac has passed away aged 79, RIP.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Ruth Madoc who played Gladys Pugh in classic Britcom Hi-de-Hi has died after a fall, aged 79.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

Angelo Badalamenti (March 22, 1937 – December 11, 2022)

I think he did work for a lot of other films, but I know him for his work with David Lynch.

The British satirist and TV reviewer Victor Lewis-Smith dies recently. Here is his Obit in the Times.

His documentary Hitler's Jazz Band is on tonight (Wed) on Sky Arts at 9pm.

His Obit is worth a read on your desktop for some laughs in the opening paras.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of the death of Michael Reed, aged 93.

OHMSS is a beautiful, epic and luscious looking film and Reed's cinematography, combined with Peter Hunt's masterful direction, is largely responsible for that.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

The demise of the current pop generation is getting uncomfortably close to home.

Ska legend Terry Hall of The Specials, Fun Boy Three and The Colourfield has died aged 63.

It seems the run-up to Christmas is often saddled with wholly unexpected deaths.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

I'm sad to hear about the death of OHMSS photographer Michael Reed. I watch OHMSS every Christmas and I'm sure I'll think of him more than once this year.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

Wow. Michael Reed is a sad loss. I am currently in Sardo, so I'll raise a glass of Don Efisio to him.

Wow. Terry Hall. Now I feel my own time is running out. Specials, Fun Boy Three, classic ska / reggae and influenced a generation. Robert Smith's dull delivery would have meant nothing if Hall hadn't got there first.

God, I hope we're not going to have one of those Christmases...

Saddened to hear of the death of Mike Hodges aged 90, director of Get Carter and Flash Gordon, amongst others . RIP.

Pele has sadly passed away at the age of 82. I think we all knew it was coming, given the reports during the World Cup. RIP

Vivienne Westwood has also passed away aged 81, RIP.

No let up for the Grim Reaper - shame he doesn't work for a union, he might be on strike.

Pope Benedict has gone, also - less touted - famed US interviewer Barbara Walters at a pretty decent age.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Anthony Hopkins - best known for Silence of the Lambs but plenty of others like Remains of the Day - is 85 today.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Would love to have seen Anthony Hopkins as the older mentor figure 006 in GoldenEye. I think that would've fitted the Lienz Cossack backstory much better than Sean Bean as he's clearly too young to be affected by such things. Not that there was anything wrong with Sean Bean's performance as Alec Trevelyan, mind. Far from it, but an older actor would have made more sense.

Just learned that Gianluca Vialli, the Italian football legend has passed away from cancer at the young age of 58, RIP.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,221MI6 Agent

I watched Luca Vialli many times at Stamford Bridge - a great player and an even greater gentleman. Those two goals against Liverpool in the FA Cup in 1998 will never be forgotten as Chelsea came from 2-0 down to win 4-2. RIP.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Jeff Beck has passed away aged 78, RIP.

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

Supermodel Tatjana Patitz has passed away at the age of 56.

Lisa Marie Presley has also passed. She was 54.

RIP

RIP Lisa Marie Presley, outlived her father by 12 years.

Shocked and sad to hear of the death of Lisa Marie Presley.

I see from yesterday's Times obituaries that the historian and author Paul Johnson has died, aged 94. He was the man who wrote the now infamous critique of Dr. No and Bondism in general in the New Statesman on 5 April 1958 with "Sex, Snobbery and Sadism".

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/remembering-paul-johnson-1928-2023/

Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida has passed away at the grand old age of 95, RIP.

Very sad. Once voted the most beautiful woman in the world - although who by escapes me - a very fine actress, much underrated.

While this is very sad, it isn't much of a surprise. The Presley family (from his mother's side) has a history of heart disease. Elvis' overindulgences didn't help his health.

edited January 2023

Ah, I see. I knew that Elvis died of a drug and fast food induced heart attack but wasn't aware that it ran in the family.