Tributes Thread

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Most Actors of his Time are sadly gone :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Benign gossip on Lee from the Popbitch website:

RIP. Lee was approached by a BBC producer to be in Doctor Who in the late 1970s. He was delighted to do it. One problem, his fee exceeded the budget for guest star appearances for the entire season. (FYI He was going to play a madman in the horns of Nimon). Lee was disappointed and it really pissed Tom Baker off too.

fayekorgazm 15:55

Christopher Lee served in the LRDG and then the SAS.
    When one over enthusiastic journalist found out about this, he pressed Lee for more information on his wartime exploits.
    Lee leaned in and knowingly remarked....
    "Can you keep a secret?"
    "Yes" said the excited reporter.
    "So can I" replied Lee before relaxing back in his chair.

kerching 11:30
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Lee's Style -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Benign gossip on Lee from the Popbitch website:

RIP. Lee was approached by a BBC producer to be in Doctor Who in the late 1970s. He was delighted to do it. One problem, his fee exceeded the budget for guest star appearances for the entire season. (FYI He was going to play a madman in the horns of Nimon). Lee was disappointed and it really pissed Tom Baker off too.

fayekorgazm 15:55

Christopher Lee served in the LRDG and then the SAS.
    When one over enthusiastic journalist found out about this, he pressed Lee for more information on his wartime exploits.
    Lee leaned in and knowingly remarked....
    "Can you keep a secret?"
    "Yes" said the excited reporter.
    "So can I" replied Lee before relaxing back in his chair.

kerching 11:30

I had heard Lee did some great stuff in WW2 ,which he didn't like talking about ,
    but I didn't know he was one of David Sterlings lads ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    RIP Mr Horner. Commando is one of my favourite sountracks.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Sad to hear he was a great composer. RIP James Horner.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited June 2015
    Sad to hear that Patrick Macnee has died at the age of 93:

http://www.patrickmacnee.com
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33279566
    Terrible news, the Great Patrick Macnee has died.
    After Bond, Steed was Probably my biggest TV hero.
    RIP Patrick Macnee
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Patrick Macnee has died. I liked Tibbett as a character in AVTAK. I liked the cover story he and Bond had, Bond as a wealthy horse breeder and Tibbett as his put-upon chauffeur. The making of docos are always entertaining to watch as well.

Another legend on the Bond franchise,gone. RIP
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    I must watch a few episodes of the New Avengers tonight.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Never has a bowler hat ,been worn more elegantly .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    RIP Pactrick :(

He narrated the 'Making of' Bond Documentories.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    RIP Patrick Macnee

I only knew him from AVTAK, but he played one of my favourite characters, and came across as a really nice person.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Never has a bowler hat ,been worn more elegantly .

I think he'd approve of that as an epitaph -{

RIP, Sir -{
    YNWA 97
    A lot of the classics are leaving us :#
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    R.I.P Patrick Macnee.
    Fantastic chemistry with Roger in AVTAK.
    Been watching The Avengers over the past few weeks, he was effortlessly suave and whoever his leading lady was at the time their on screen chemistry has been brilliant to watch.
    Seemed like a genuinely nice guy -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    I was just thinking that Christopher Lee and Patrick Macnee
    Played Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson together in a couple of
    Films. A great acting combination. -{
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    AlphaOmegaSin you read my mind. This is sad news - LOVE his narration of The "Making of" Doc's.

Cheers to all of these greats who have recently passed, the world is a much better place because of them!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I had the enormous privilege of briefly working with Patrick Macnee some years ago and found him to be a perfect gentleman. Very much a thespian, very professional and very warm. I would imagine that he and Sir Roger got on very well together.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,328Chief of Staff
    Always enjoyed his work, sad to hear he's gone. Aside from being Steed and of course Tibbett in AVTAK, he was uniquely Dr Watson to two significant Bond figures playing Sherlock Holmes: Roger Moore and Christopher Lee.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Very sad news indeed regarding the passing of Patrick Macnee. The character of John Steed so brilliantly played by Macnee was in many ways like a upper class version of Bond, which only Roger Moore's interpretation of the role really delivered on in full. That's why it was so great to see the old TV stars together in AVTAK and as others have said, it was a highlight of the film!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    In the past year or so, we've lost:
    General Ourumov
    Jaws
    Baron Samedi
    Kamal Khan
    Scaramanga
    and now, Tibbet

Where are all the bond stars going? :#
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Natural wastage sadly, given some of their ages. :#
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I guess so. The last 3 in particular were all over 90
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    I guess so. The last 3 in particular were all over 90

Indeed, they had a very good innings and they all lived full and interesting lives that leave an enormous legacy after their passing on. They will certainly not be forgotten. :) -{
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    RIP Patrick Macnee -{
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Christopher Lee, Ron Moody, Patrick Macnee. . .all lived to be over 90, but it seems they haven't been here so long. RIP!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    What sad news. Like TP I grew up with and loved The Avengers and Patrick Macnee had that unique voice, elegance and charm - much like Sir Roger. They don't name them like that anymore. RIP.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    I've been watching The Avengers reruns on True Entertainment the last few months, and was about to start a thread on AJB entitled 'Mrs Peel, we're needed'. However, the episode shown last night, just as I heard the news, wasn't too great, one with clowns and Tara King.

I didn't realise in a way that he was so old, he was in his 40s as Steed, and a good 10 years or so ahead of Sir Roger. Acc to the BBC obit, he played against a very young Christopher Lee in a stage show of Henry V.

There was really only one Steed, and Macnee was a generous performer so he could play alongside a range of women, from Honor Blackman to Joanna Lumley. In fact, only Linda Thorson wasn't a Bond girl at some point. They were all good, but they worked well with Macnee and it was good to see a relationship where the hero doesn't have to end up in bed with the gal. It was all rather amiable and classy instead.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Another nice touch with the Avengers was that Steed never used a gun.
    ( He may have the odd time, I haven't seen every episode, but I think I
    Read that in a book on The Avengers)