Welcome & Comings & Goings

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    ...my bass hero is the surprisingly underrated (unbelievably, he IS underrated) Paul McCartney. I know it's a strange thing to say about the world's most famous and most successful bass player but it is true. Most people will comment on his celebrity, his vegetarianism, etc, but few comment on his prodigious talents. Of course he is excellent at many instruments (piano on LALD, for a Bond example, and lead guitar on many famous songs (eg Ticket To Ride), drums on a good few- Band On The Run, Back In The USSR) and his composing abilities surely need no comment but nowadays few appreciate how good a bass player he really is.
    I think most folks just forget he was the bass player, he was so talented as a songwriter, a vocalist, a producer … and folks in general underrate all the Beatles as musicians, because the standards for rock musicianship changed by the time the Beatles broke up, favouring virtuosic showmanship or just plain egocentric indulgence.
    The idea of clever wellplayed licks supporting the song became old-fashioned. In 70s rock the song always had to open up for the musician to play an extended solo and that's how fans judged the musicians chops.
    The bass hooks in Paperback Writer, Hey Bulldog, and Come Together are some of my favourites. But in general he always gives their toons a funky punchy groove.

any other bassists you particularly like?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Mike Rutherford would be another one.

Played my first gig with the new Fender last night- very enjoyable!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    You must have used the line
    " Ten fingers on the Fender " ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :D Alas, not many there would have understood that one.

I hear Barbel does 6-hour sets without a single break.

No chance!!!!
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Hello my AJB friends. I hope every one is well. I have been very busy working at two jobs in the daytime and the evening. This is why I have not had time to visit the AJB and only even a couple of times to look with out logging in. I do not know when my time will be such that I am able to start to visit regularly again as I must continue with the two jobs for the time being.

I see my friend Higgins is also away from the AJB and I hope that he will also return soon.
    Nice to see you again, Joshua. {[]
    Agreed nice to hear from you again -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Thank you. I will visit again when I get time.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Welcome back Joshua!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

- Oscar Wilde
    Thankyou JTM.

Number 24 I do not drink! I have never drank alcohol for many years!
    I had to stop drinking- I got fed up with waking up in my car doing 90mph down the wrong side of the motorway.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:
    Thankyou JTM.

Number 24 I do not drink! I have never drank alcohol for many years!

I beat you then - I have never had a drink in my life :D
    That's very un-Bondian of me.
    Anyway, it was all a joke. I respect the fact that you work hard.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Welcome back Higgins! -{ :o

There’s been far too much Dalton- adoration here and we need your unbiased opinions on the subject :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Agent_ShatterhandAgent_Shatterhand Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking for a long while and thought it was time to join. I was looking for a post about what Bond activity you had done recently but now I can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have got some work coming up which involves me living in a flat in Brighton for a week with a lot of free time so I was looking for suggestions on how I can make it into a Bond trip.

Cheers
    Shatterhand
    Welcome Agent_Shatterhand {[]
  • GusGus United KingdomPosts: 5MI6 Agent
    Hello All,

Just thought I'd say hi! I would say that I'm new here but I've been watching the forum intermittently for a few years and thought it was about time I registered! -{

Have always been an enormous fan of the franchise and look forward to getting to know you guys!

Cheers,
    Angus
    Welcome, Gus! :)
    -{ Welcome Gus
  • Sean0071Sean0071 Salem, OR USAPosts: 5MI6 Agent
    Greetings AJB Community,

I just joined your prestigious ranks today and hope I can contribute in some meaningful way in the months and years to come. In my search to find some Bond community, I'd been lurking here for some time before taking the plunge- so I feel like I already 'know' some of the regulars and probably need to level the playing field some. So here goes...

I 'discovered' Bond when Showtime (or maybe it was HBO) was running FYEO during the summer months while I was in grade school. Cool cars, hot girls, guns, & a British assassin kicking a car off a cliff- what more could an adolescent male ask for? It was during my fifth viewing or so that my dad had come home from work and asked what I was watching, so I tell him "this is awesome, it's an assassin James Bond"...and in my mind's eye, he rolled his eyes, disapprovingly shook his head and said "that ain't James Bond" and walked off. Of course I had no idea what he meant- or why I had let him down as a son. :) A very short time afterwards he'd rented Dr. No to begin my education, and....I...didn't care for it! Of course that changed in short order- probably after seeing GF, and I realize now the absolute perfection of DN (and Connery as Bond for that matter, Sir Roger is still my Bond though). So for that and many other things I'm eternally grateful to my dad.

Other bits, I live in the USA (Pacific Northwest), have a wife who frequently watches Bond movies with me, a daughter (not a Bond fan) and son (he only likes DC films)

Anyway, I'm guessing that's enough to start- I really look forward to some 007 discussion.
    Sean

While I'm thinking about it - special thank you to Thunderpussy, your Blu Ray thread encouraged me to kick the DVD's to the curb- it was worth every penny! I am blown away with the clarity of the older films.
    I look for a reason to like them all, that being said- my current favorites by actor
    Connery- FRWL Dalton- TLD
    Lazenby - I'll go with OHMSS Brosnan- GE
    Moore- FYEO Craig- CR
    Hi there, and welcome! :)
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Welcome Sean, hope you have a great time here -{
    Welcome Sean0071 -{
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Welcome to AJB Sean!
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent
    Hi all! I've been meaning to join here for ages - not much more than a voyeur... but now I want to join in :D . My name is Quentin Q. Quigley, and I've been a Bond fan since early 1995. My first film experience was a double feature of FYEO/TSWLM on TV, and the next night it was FRWL. I remember being fascinated that two different actors were playing the same role... I take it they were running all the films on TV because there was a new one coming out, although sadly, I was not aware GE was being made at the time. Therefore, my first cinematic experience was TND. So, I had seen Roger and Sean just prior, but you could say Pierce was 'my' Bond. I started collecting the VHS copies soon after, in '96 - what a joy it was discovering the films for the first time, and putting them all in chronological order. I love all the films and actors to take on the role- they all have their charm. I also collect merch and make my own props. I'm looking forward to making new friends here and joining this journey with you all through production towards the upcoming film - Very excited to see what Craig, Boyle and co bring to the table. GOO7D times ahead!

Cheers,

Quentin
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Welcome Quentin Quigley -{
    Hi QQ, and welcome.
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent
    Many thanks, guys -{
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Welcome, QQQ. It seems we became Bond fans at around the same time. -{

Also, a belated welcome to Sean0071! :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).