Welcome & Comings & Goings

1848586878890»

Comments

• MarkerMarker Posts: 63MI6 Agent

That's me! I'm available for hire. My daily rates are ££5 a day (1970's rates) plus expenses. You can contact me by telephone at my office on Windsor 225790.

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

@Marker said: My primary interest lies in the works of Fleming, though I do enjoy the films. My first film was LALD when it first came out in the cinemas (1973?) and I was a fan of RM ever since, I must say that OHMSS has endured as a personal favourite for a few years perhaps, for me at least, because I feel it's so close to the book.

I like your priorities! I am of the belief Flemings 14 books are The Canon, and the films are mere adaptations, no matter how good they get. I hope to see you bumping some threads in our Literary section, its never active enough for my tastes. youll note Revelators been posting an excellent series of interviews with Fleming, essential to any fan of the source material. and if you like Roger Moore, you should be interested in Chrisno1's episode by episode reviews of The Saint, and he did an earlier series of reviews for The Persuaders. and I know theres some interviews and contemporary reviews related to the OHMSS film posted recently

@caractacus potts Thanks for the threads heads up. The Fleming interviews look particularly interesting. I'll certainly take a look at them all.

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

@caractacus potts I've been searching for the Ian Fleming interviews thread but with no success (I'm an old fogy, so not up to speed with all this new fangled techtrickery so have drawn a blank with the site's search facility). Could you please post a link to that and possibly your other recommendations? Ta.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    edited April 12

here it is:

Interviews with Ian Fleming

Revelator also once created a similar thread compiling book reviews Fleming wrote, he's our expert in Fleming rarities. IFP really oughta put him on their payroll.

and since you said you liked Roger Moore, I'd suggested ChrisNo1's episode-by-episode reviews of The Saint in the Sixties , he's getting near the end of the sixth and final season ... he's been working on that encyclopedic endeavour for nearly two years!

also CoolHandBond recently started these two threads: Interviews With Cast And Crew and Reviews Of James Bond Films By Professional Critics . I remember there being articles re OHMSS in both of those threads

and you know, between the threads started by those three gentlemen, I gotta say we have the most scholarly Bond forum around!

Thanks, CP. Much appreciated.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited April 15

Welcome aboard, @Marker.

I only got the reference of your username fully when you uploaded your avatar today. I found a few DVDs of Public Eye in a charity shop last year and have watched a few episodes of the show. It's good stuff! 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

It's very good. As someone with a dislike of cop/detective/whodunnit shows, it's a testament to the quality of the programme that it reeled me in. Nothing in particular seems to happen but it's strangely gripping just the same.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Yes, it is good. I got some of the colour episodes and some of the black and white ones. I recall one episode where nothing much happens as Marker refuses to take on the job. Then at the end the guy he refused kills himself. It packs quite a punch. It gets the gritty, mundane nature of what true private detective work must really be like.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).