Bond23 Officially Suspended

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters

Rather like a college thesis, where a desperate student tries to come up with something to fill a minimum word requirement...and naturally I'll disagree about the last two Bonds being humourless. No slapstick fire truck ladder chase or doubletaking pigeon does not mean no humour, IMO...but sadly the writer has a point about the uncertainty of such situations. I'm endlessly frustrated by moneymaking enterprises that become stymied by money :s Bond is virtually a licence to print money, so proven is the franchise's box office track record...but the morons who've driven MGM into the ground are too broke to embark on a project that guarantees them money? It's positively sick-making.

If Eon is so inextricably intertwined with MGM's fate that it is utterly powerless in this fiasco, clearly there's been an error or two on their part along the way. If this isn't resolved sooner rather than later---and Bond ends up in another five or six year-long purgatory (or longer)---hopefully whomever makes the next Bond film will have learnt something from this. Unfortunately, learning from history seems to have become passe on a much larger scale than the movie business...

Very disgruntled (in case this wasn't already clear)...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent

No chance this is the end of Bond, every studio out there would love to have Bond, the greatest film franchise of all time.

The article assumes a lot of things and most assumptions never happen. Craig isn't leaving Bond, let's be honest, what else has he done, that more than a few people have seen. In addition, the producers are not going to go from the rough and tumble QOS to the cartoonish MR. The next Bond will be at least somewhat similar in style to the last two, much to my chagrin.

The MGM deal will get done and get done soon, it has to, a large interest payment is due to creditors on May 14th and MGM doesn't have the jack to cover it. So they declare bankruptcy or sell MGM piece by piece. The days of an independent stand-alone studio is over, it's all about synergies with television, cable, theme parks etc. None of which MGM has. MGM might be history, but not Bond.

Bond Will Be Back!
    No chance this is the end of Bond, every studio out there would love to have Bond, the greatest film franchise of all time...MGM might be history, but not Bond.

Bond Will Be Back!

Thanks, Barry...I needed that :)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Definitely not the End of Bond. And if Eon can whether the storm (by that I mean stand aside and let some one deliver the killing blow to MGM and put it out of its misery, and then be patient while the vultures of Hollywood and big business pick its corpse clean), we'll end up with an Eon that is ready to make a deal - and call the shots - with a new studio backer. The question is - how long will it take?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Why don't they just release Bond 23 through another studio? Do they have a liftetime contract with MGM or something? Because if they don't then why can't they release Bond 23 through Warner Bros or something? 8-)

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading once that the late Harry Saltzman (co-producer of the Bond movies with Cubby Broccoli until 1975) sold his interest in Bond to United Artists in the mid 1970s. Since then, that interest has bounced around from UA to MGM.

As to this current situation potentially being the end of Bond, no way. Bond is a cash cow. Every James Bond movie has been profitable and the series is second only to Star Wars in box office receipts. It is by all measure a healthy franchise with many many years of life left in it. This latest episode is just a speed bump brought on by people who have different agendas. It also seems to have had the unwanted side effect of temporarily mothballing the BluRay releases of the remaining Bond movies (which is particularly vexing to me).

We may have to wait a while, but as Barry said, James Bond Will Return...
  • Bella_docBella_doc Quantum's next target (Canada)Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Wow, this is sad news indeed.

I am heartened to read all the comments here from posters who know much more about the big studio bankruptcy business than I do, and I hope this can be sorted out soon to keep the 2011 Bond 23 release date on track. Surely, as other posters have said, EON can easily find a backer in Sony to take MGM's place so really the only difficulty is getting out of whatever contract they have with MGM.

... Still, just to be on the safe side I'll be keeping my fingers crossed while energetically knocking on wood :( -{
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I believe MGM has a May deadline, the EON/Jackson pressers are likely intended to halt further extensions.

This could be a matter of weeks.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    I always had a feeling Bond 23 would be DC last now Iam beginning to think QOS might be.

I hope you are wrong. I am looking forward to Craig in 23 as i think he could pull all of the strands together (no more wayward rookie) and deliver the finished article. Daniel is also known to be not entirely thrilled with the final porduct that was QOS si it would be a shame if that was his last outing.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    I, for one, cannot wait for the return of Daniel 'Chuckles' Craig. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    This statement is both a power play and a defence stategy on EON's part. Not only are they trying to force MGM to come to a descision but they are protecting themselves by officially taking Bond23 out of production. there were rumors that MGM wanted to hold off the debtors for a while longer, put both Bond and the Hobbit into production and then use the profits of both franchises to pay some of the debt off and allow them to stay as an independant studio, this move is risky however because both EON and the Hobbit production team have no way of knowing whether MGM could see them through the entirety of production, this is a safety net for Eon because they have basically said that Bond is off the table for the time being and cannot be used as a bargianing chip by MGM for EON are financially safe whilst Bond is not in production but could end up losing out somewhat if MGM go bust whilst work on Bond is being done.
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I'm certainly encouraged by this looming May deadline. I hope this will work itself out sooner rather than later.

Did this ruin anyone else's day yesterday? I mean, quite literally ruin it and put you in a depressed stupor? I felt something oddly akin to a bad hangover.
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    I, for one, cannot wait for the return of Daniel 'Chuckles' Craig. :D

Hear, hear! :))
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
    Talking of which, Mister White, the actor who plays your namesake must be relieved. After his slagging off the last Bond movie, it looked like he was for the chop for Bond 23. Now it's all immaterial anyway.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    Just seen this on BBC News;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8635409.stm

Apparently there's speculation over Daniel Craig not remaining as Bond and odds on favourite to take the role is Sam Worthing. This is all good ammunition for the media. I'm sure the producers aren't looking for a replacement 007 and I'm sure Daniel Craig can't be too happy with media attention looking at other actors for a role he wants to continue.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    In the meantime the media can spend countless hours adding ingredients and stirring the pot to cook up juicy rumors to fill us up... 8-)
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Sam worthington was very good in 'love my way' and an Aussie killer croc movie called 'rogue,' but he ain't a movie star. He was dull in 'terminator: salvation' 'avatar' and 'clash of the titans.' eon chose craig over him and they were right. I doubt they'll ask him back.
  • JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
    I think everybody knows that "James Bond Will Return" but the question is will Daniel Craig return as James Bond or will Craig find a loop hole in his contract and pull a Timothy Dalton?
    "I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I think everybody knows that "James Bond Will Return" but the question is will Daniel Craig return as James Bond or will Craig find a loop hole in his contract and pull a Timothy Dalton?

A long delay might mean that Daniel pulls out for similar reasons to Dalton (disproportinate time associated with role to number of films made) I hope this can be resolved quickly enough to see him in 23 for what I really do believe will be his last outing as Bond. This production will have been troubled enough, and the writers strike last time mean that Eon have not had a lot of luck. Looking for a new actor would be an unwelcome distraction in my view. As I have said before 23 is the one where he (Craig) pulls it all together , as I dont feel that we have seen his 'finished' Bond yet.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Hope Henry Cavill keeps his diary free
    Yeah, but which year's diary? 2011, 12, 13....?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:

A long delay might mean that Daniel pulls out for similar reasons to Dalton (disproportinate time associated with role to number of films made) I hope this can be resolved quickly enough to see him in 23 for what I really do believe will be his last outing as Bond. This production will have been troubled enough, and the writers strike last time mean that Eon have not had a lot of luck. Looking for a new actor would be an unwelcome distraction in my view. As I have said before 23 is the one where he (Craig) pulls it all together , as I dont feel that we have seen his 'finished' Bond yet.

I agree. The first moment I heard of this delay my mind flashed with images of Dalton. It would be a real shame...a real shame. I was really getting excited about DC's return as Bond in #23 for the same reasons you mention, I think he will really hit at pace if he gets to do another one. I've talked to a couple Bond buffs the last few days and they felt the same way.
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    The story re Worthington being the next Bond is just the media trying to make something out of nothing. Worthington has even been quoted as saying his Bond audition was nothing special.....he really doesn't consider himself Bond material. The story is also inaccurate regarding "Call Me Bwana" being EON's last non Bond movie. I'm pretty sure that "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was an EON production and came after 1963. As far as a long hiatus until Bond 23 is concerned....maybe; but I believe in the old adage "Money talks and BS walks". MGM apparently has until May. If the May date is adhered to, they will either sell to the highest bidder or be parted out. If they are sold to the highest bidder, Bond will be the new owner's #1 priority and back on track asap. If the studio folds and is auctioned off piecemeal, Bond is the prize and the rights will be gobbled up fast by the company that has the deepest pockets and wants it the most (IMO Sony Pictures; Bond to Sony is like the "Ring" to Gollum) and subsequently put right back on track. Of course I could be completely wrong and a bunch of lawyers could ruin everything.....but I'm hoping for the best.
  • Daltons BabeDaltons Babe Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Please Do not let this become another Timothy Dalton and we loose another fine Bond because of wrangling Daniel Please keep with us because you are too good to loose
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    The story is also inaccurate regarding "Call Me Bwana" being EON's last non Bond movie. I'm pretty sure that "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was an EON production and came after 1963.

Sidetracking slightly....
    I think you'll find Call Me Bwana is the ONLY non-007 film produced by Eon. All the other productions (including Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Ipcress File, Battle of Britain, etc) which have Brocolli or Saltzman's names attached to them are nothing to do with Eon, although they were often (but not always) distributed by United Artists. After Saltzman sold his share to UA in 1975 Brocolli, and by extension Eon, has exclusively made Bond films and nothing else.
  • Bella_docBella_doc Quantum's next target (Canada)Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Talking of which, Mister White, the actor who plays your namesake must be relieved. After his slagging off the last Bond movie, it looked like he was for the chop for Bond 23. Now it's all immaterial anyway.
    Actually for what it's worth he reversed his earlier comments, saying that the media misquoted him and that in fact he liked doing James Bond after all. It looks like he'd be happy to be back for Bond 23, though I can't remember if he actually that or if it was just MI-6 speculation.

Back on topic, although as a fan I may impatient for the next Bond movie to be out I certainly can't fault EON for playing it safe. In the long run, it's probably better than jeopardizing the franchise with another rushed movie and years of legal wrangles stemming from starting the work before the MGM thing was sorted out. If it's really as easy as adhering to the May deadline and MGM getting sold either wholesale or piecemeal by then, then this shouldn't cause a delay to the 2011 release date at all.
  • JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
    edited April 2010
    Hey I wonder if they could just film Bond 23 and just hold onto the footage for a little while? I mean what's the harm in making a movie and not releasing it?
    "I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."
  • Daltons BabeDaltons Babe Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Am I the only person who wonders why MGM are silent and thinks they owe us some kind of explanation as to what the bloody hell is going on because I for one want to know
  • shaken66shaken66 california usaPosts: 155MI6 Agent
    Hey I wonder if they could just film Bond 23 and just hold onto the footage for a little while? I mean what's the harm in making a movie and not releasing it?

About $200,000,000 including interest. :))
    "How did he die?"
    "Your contact?" "Not well."
    Bella_doc wrote:
    ...as a fan I may impatient for the next Bond movie to be out I certainly can't fault EON for playing it safe. In the long run, it's probably better than jeopardizing the franchise with another rushed movie and years of legal wrangles stemming from starting the work before the MGM thing was sorted out. If it's really as easy as adhering to the May deadline and MGM getting sold either wholesale or piecemeal by then, then this shouldn't cause a delay to the 2011 release date at all.

You're right, Bella...now that the initial wave of hopelessness and despair has washed over and past me, I find myself thinking along these lines as well. The True Powers That Be---i.e., those people who hold the debt notes on MGM---aren't going to wait forever whilst MGM contemplates its navel. The Old Lion is either going to get sold, or dispatched and dismantled...and it shouldn't be long before one of these things happens.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Unfortunately, I don't think the May deadline is any magical date. Payments from MGM were pushed back to that date, while the gentleman (whose name escapes me at the moment) works on a plan for restructuring. All of the reports that I read don't expect any real decisions to be made until 'several weeks'. My fear is that if MGM is not purchased (which is looking more and more likely that it won't be) than the properties have to be sold. If that happens, I'm expecting loooooong delays while the creditors wrangle over who gets what. :#