James Bonds height and weight

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Mr Mallory wrote:
    His films have made billions
    More importance placed on the money factor. :#
    LTK was the least profitable, yet it's my second favourite.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    In movies it's still one of " the old ways " to show how popular a film / actor is.
    By the way I love LTK.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " first rule of mass communication, give the people what they want !" :))
    Some bad films make a lot of money, Some good films make very little money.
    but Popular films always make money. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    but Popular films always make money. :D
    Then in every subsequent Bond he must be shot off an overpass, ride a cartoon wave or go into space!
    Bond in space up against a villain all in black, with some telekinetic powers.
    Have Q provide a new gadget, perhaps a short handle from which a beam
    of intense light would be produced, a light sword if you will, and at the end
    have the villains huge spaceship explode all over the place.
    Now that's something I'd go to see. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Mr Mallory wrote:
    Basically more Craig bashing 8-).
    His films have made billions, so apart from a handful of " fans ? " it's
    NOT a problem.

Exactly! Plus, as has been previously stated, Craig isn't really short.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Craig isn't really short.
    He's not short, just not taller than average.
    I'm sure Daniel Craig at night in beside Rachel, looking out at his car collection and Rolex collection.
    putting his bank book away must pine over the four people who have a problem with his height. :))
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    :))
    What makes you think this is my first time?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Mr Mallory wrote:
    NOT a problem.

Yes, that's what I'm known for around here - my hatred of Daniel Craig :))
    To be clear: CR and Skyfall are two of my top five Bond movies and I'm glad he'll stay on as Bond for two or three more movies. But his height is not an asset when playing Bond. He is a good Bond DESPITE being 5'10''. I think the next Bond should ideally be taller and have dark hair.
    If his height is a drawback, which he has over come.
    shouldn't he be getting a bit more praise for it. ?
    According to my wife, she never noticed how tall he was, but oddly she could
    describe every curve of his six pack and arse ! :))
    That's my point: His height is a drawback. It in no way destroys his portrial of Bond, but it's still a drawback.
    It kind of reminds me of someone who has a stunningly good looking girlfriend, who's
    highly intelligent, body of a dancer, as supple as a gymnast , an absolute tigress in bed.
    Loves curries and let's you go drinking with your mates and doesn't mind if you bring
    another girl home for some romance BUT she has brown eyes instead of blue. So you
    Dump her. :))
    Number24 wrote:
    Mr Mallory wrote:
    NOT a problem.

Yes, that's what I'm known for around here - my hatred of Daniel Craig :))
    To be clear: CR and Skyfall are two of my top five Bond movies and I'm glad he'll stay on as Bond for two or three more movies. But his height is not an asset when playing Bond. He is a good Bond DESPITE being 5'10''. I think the next Bond should ideally be taller and have dark hair.

I know you are not a Craig hater, and my apologies if it appears I am suggesting you are. But I still fail to see how his height is either an asset or a drawback. As far as I can tell from the general responses to his Bond films, Craig's height is a non-issue for most viewers.
    No, I don't dump her. But if she dumps me (and Craig will 'dump' us), I would want a new girlfriend who has all the qualities I look for. I might not get that, but I'd still look.

In other words: Craig is a great Bond, but to me we would ideally want a dark haired and tall actor to play Bond next.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I think the problem some have in respect to Craig's height is that they are comparing it to the previous actors. After all, if an actor was hired to play an iconic character like Superman - tall, muscle bound and black hair, and was still muscle bound but had lighter hair and was a bit shorter, people would notice and might be offended.

Now, it's not really an outright fair comparison. Superman is a comic book character that's had film versions made and is so universally known that any variation of his appearance (outside some design tweaking of his costume) would draw attention.

Bond is also universally recognized, but his appearance is known by the film series and all the actors who have played him. Tall, dark and handsome were pretty much the requirements on the physical level that EON always went after. Given the fact that the character never really had a personal life or was even considered a three dimensional human in most of the films, it's not surprising that having him recognized as a real person as opposed to a cartoon action character (like Superman) who always appears as a tall dark fashion model in a tux - would throw some audiences off. Now bring in an actor who does not fit that iconic appearance - despite the fact his more human and dimensional portrayal within a more rugged and normal size physique keeps many focused away from the tall, dark model look -and you have an imbalance which some cannot be comfortable with...in fact, they focus on it and will always dislike it.

I give Craig a pass on the looks department because he and EON's reboot made a more human Bond as in the novels and someone I could actually enjoy even more than in the old series. I still enjoy that series, but on a different level.

I still believe as an actor playing such an iconic role, it would have made more sense for him to have darkened his hair. After all, he is only doing this during the film's production. It would not be any different than an actor wearing a beard for an iconic role where the character is know for having one.

However, for whatever reason, Craig opted out of doing this, which is strange, considering he did just that when he played the Perry Smith character in the film Infamous.

This is all "under the bridge" now, so like it or not, we will have to deal with it until his contract with EON is up.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

It didn't stop Alan Ladd or Tom Cruise...Craig is of average height...and well above average talent -{

Yes!

No, it didn't stop them. But there is no tradition for Ethan Hunt or Shane being tall. Still, the MI franchise seems to cast co-stars partly with an eye on height. I'm not saying Craig as Bond doesn't work, it's just that it works IN SPITE OF his height.

So you're telling me that all of Ladd's and Cruise's leading ladies are not up to scratch as they had/have to be short ?
    Are there not enough good actresses at 5' 9" and under then ? And why does the leading lady HAVE to be shorter than Craig ?
    I think you are too fixated on his height....and I don't know why....?...
    YNWA 97
    Get the campaign started, Peter Crouch for the next Bond. :))
    Get the campaign started, Peter Crouch for the next Bond. :))

Or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar! :))
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited March 2014
    However, for whatever reason, Craig opted out of doing this, which is strange, considering he did just that when he played the Perry Smith character in the film Infamous.

During the press conference that introduced DC as the new Bond, a reporter asked him if he would dye his hair to which he deferred to Martin Campbell for an answer, and Campbell was the one who said, "no." I personally think that because they decided on the bold strategy to totally go against the grain with the reboot, they likewise decided to fully steer into the skid and not even attempt to compensate for any of the major contentions predicted to crop up.

On the issue of height, I think that detail is lost in the totality of the changes brought on by the reboot. People have different views on coolness, which has changed so dramatically in the past couple of decades that I applaud those older fans who embrace the new, though there are still some like me who grew accustomed to the "coolness of Bond" package that included tall and classically handsome, which has direct lineage from Fleming and the sensibilities of his own time. Arguably, from Connery up to Brosnan, each actor was their era's version of tall and handsome, albeit in the flavor of the Martini Lounge 60s, Disco 70s, the Awesome 80s, the Post-80s 90s, etc., until the pattern was abruptly broken with CR. Then again, it seems the overriding element of the reboot is a dramatic change in perception; and that very thing, perception, is something that varies with people so it shouldn't be a case of someone trying to convince others that DC isn't tall, but rather, realizing he isn't tall according to what came before (and with an objective eye, you can see that on the screen, btw) and concluding that it's okay and immaterial considering the totality of the reboot. Is that so difficult to do?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    I personally think that because they decided on the bold strategy to totally go against the grain with the reboot, they likewise decided to fully steer into the skid and not even attempt to compensate for any of the major contentions predicted to crop up.
    Bold.
    I like bold.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    ...and it worked. I think superado is quite right with his interpretation of Wilson/Broccoli/Campbell's strategy. They did not play it safe, all credit to them.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Yes!

No, it didn't stop them. But there is no tradition for Ethan Hunt or Shane being tall. Still, the MI franchise seems to cast co-stars partly with an eye on height. I'm not saying Craig as Bond doesn't work, it's just that it works IN SPITE OF his height.

So you're telling me that all of Ladd's and Cruise's leading ladies are not up to scratch as they had/have to be short ?
    Are there not enough good actresses at 5' 9" and under then ? And why does the leading lady HAVE to be shorter than Craig ?
    I think you are too fixated on his height....and I don't know why....?...

I think most would agree it would look strange if the Bond girl was taller than Bond. There must be a reason it's never happened in 23 movies! Obviously there is no corolation between an actresses height and her acting skill. One of my favourite Bond girls is Plenty o'Toole, and Lana Wood is just 5'3''. But with a tall leading man you can chose freely between ALL the actresses with the talent and looks for the part. You won't have to say no to the taller ones.
    You ask why I'm so fixated on height? Well, this is a thread about Bond's height ....
    Number24 wrote:
    I think most would agree it would look strange if the Bond girl was taller than Bond. There must be a reason it's never happened in 23 movies! Obviously there is no corolation between an actresses height and her acting skill. One of my favourite Bond girls is Plenty o'Toole, and Lana Wood is just 5'3''. But with a tall leading man you can chose freely between ALL the actresses with the talent and looks for the part. You won't have to say no to the taller ones.
    You ask why I'm so fixated on height? Well, this is a thread about Bond's height ....

So you think men that have taller partners look strange ? Ok...thanks for that...

It's probably hasn't happened before because the actor playing Bond has been over 6' tall...and I guess not THAT many actresses are over that height...but you are ruling out that possibility...which is sad...as you say you cant freely chose an actress on acting ability alone - that's quite a bold statement, which doesnt reflect well on you...I'd love you run that one past Equity....

It's not really a height thread for you....more a 'lack if height thread' :D
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    As far as I can tell from the general responses to his Bond films, Craig's height is a non-issue for most viewers.

^^^^^^this

but I may be biased. Everyone who's seen me in person knows that my wife towers me by far and I find this kind of comments personally insulting :o
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited March 2014
    You forget not all Bond actors have been over 6 feet tall. Daniel Craig has made three Bond movies, and as far as I know none of his leading ladies have been taller than him.
    It's not only me who thinks leading men should be, or at least look, taller than their leading ladies. Ingrid Bergman was taller than Humphrey Bogart, so in Casablanca they had to work a lot to hide that fact.

I didn't say men necceserily look strange next to taller women. But we are used to leading men and especailly Bond to be taller than the Bond girls, so to me a Bond girl would look strange next to a shorter Bond.

You think it's sad I can't "chose an actress on acting ability alone - that's quite a bold statement, which doesnt reflect well on you...I'd love you run that one past Equity...."

The fact is that actresses and actors are seldom cast for acting ability alone. Age, singing voice, athletic ability, ethnic background and many other factors must often be considered.
    I frankly think you are taking this debate far to personally and getting far too worked up. It's best if we take some time away from this topic, don't you think?
    I'm not getting worked up at all...I'm sorry if you think that...but I do find your comments very strange on this subject...and very outdated...

You said that not all the Bond actors have been over six foot tall - apart from Craig, whom is the centre of your discussion - which ones haven't been over six foot tall ?

The OP lists all the Bond actors and their height - assuming he's right, they ARE all over six foot tall...so that kind of blows the legs off your stance...
    YNWA 97
    When are we going to get started on his weight ? :))
    Anyone got any views on Fat blokes dating Thin Birds ?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

The OP lists all the Bond actors and their height - assuming he's right, they ARE all over six foot tall...so that kind of blows the legs off your stance...

To be fair, the OP lists Craig with 5'10 and in my book this is below 6' ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

To be fair, the OP lists Craig with 5'10 and in my book this is below 6' ;)

I did type "apart from Craig"....I know this requires you to read and comprehend and that its my fault for expecting you to be able to do two things at once...for that I apologise :p :D
    YNWA 97