Making a Golden Gun, dims details and HELP!

Comments

• dusktilldawn82dusktilldawn82 West Midlands, UKPosts: 197MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Can somebody technically explaan why if its screen accurate, the pen cant write, the lighter cant have a flame and the cufflink cant function?

The geometry and the components in the film surely facilitate this size wise?

Doez aayone know how close micks QM GG is to and SD 2nd gen? I feel like im missing something key here!

HELP!

gladly dear chap.

firstly mental mick's GG is not in any way, shape or form, SA. mick's grandad made it that way for copyright and build issue reasons. although i advised, warned and eventually lost my rag with him over the idea of 'making it work' i believe it does fire blanks or caps. not only is this dangerous, quite possibly illegal and **** stupid, mick still went and did it, and if we're discussing things like that on here, AJB itself could be in hot water as its allowed members to discuss illegal activites etc (this is how i believe the law currently works).

hence, mick, although with muh enthusiasm etc etc, is in my mind mental. nice lad though, just needs a swift backhander.

anyways, the bloody GG.

first the pen. ok, so you can have a pen, take the writing guts out when you want to fire the gun, fine no probs here.

the cufflink trigger. its firstly a crap design for a cufflink, is liable to fall out when being worn, plus how do you incorporate the 'stalk' into the design. the cufflink needs to attach to the gun's internals, so some change will need to be made to it which will either result in something too weak (like a magnet) or too clumbersome (like the FE threaded stalk.

the lighter. have you seen a lighter than extends, lights and is hollow inside to allow for the guts of an air pistol? no me neither. the way this piece works on screen is about as realistic as the much loved BTTF delorean. looks great but in no way in sweet sonny jesus' green earth will that ever work. the only way around making room for the airgun guts would be to go down the route of the pen - ie have working internals that are removable for when you want to plink.

the cig case. again, it needs to be hollow to hold the cigs. but hang on, wheres the gas supply, the regulator, the trigger mech, the sear, hammer all gonna go? we're back to that space issue aren't we jonny? uh huh, thats right jonny, it JUST WONT **** FIT!! (jonny recieves swift backhander with leather glove).

you need to remember that the working internals of even a CO2 air pistol are quite complex and need space to sit in. TBH a real firearm is technically a simpler mechanism, but we're not even thinking about that ARE WE??!! so we'll leave that idea alone, lock it up in a concrete lead lined box and drop that bitch in the ocean.

in my mind the bottom line is this;

dont make it fire anything more than a 6mm plastic BB if you really have to have it firing.

if it really needs to fire, have it solid to ease the locating the guts problems.

if you want to take it apart, have it solid and SA, why bother doing anything else?

oh and after shelling out on the materials, having someone machine them for you, the gold plating, the research time and buying many BB guns to rob bits from, it will be cheaper, quicker, easier and more accurate to just go and buy FE's piece instead. admittedly it dont fire, but i think i'd get laughed off the range if i took that with me.

Firstly, sorry for the spelling mistakes before. im not some illiterate moron, but typing on my smartphone screen isnt my strongest skill.....

Geff, all comments welcomed.

I have reservations about mick's firing design, as im not sure its been 'thought through'. but I agree, these discussions should not be within these forums, so lets leaves caps and blanks etc completely (bitch in lead box, in ocean ;):)))

So, based on a sensible "fully legal" route:

I am not planing to have anything for the firing mechanical anywhere other than in the extending breach part (i.e. not the ciggie case).

IF this is going to fire, it will have to be the simplest mechanism known to man.... Along the lines of a simple linkage to a quick release valve. Having played around with some of my airgun mags, the glock 26c airsoft mag is the most likely. Im thinking of using the high flow valve, but the reservoir would be part of the extending breach. (I.e., there would be a small lighter style charging point). In effect, it wold be the airsoft magazine (reservoir and valve close coupled), but with a much smaller reservoir, probably only gassed for 4/5 shots.

Ive stripped down enough airguns over the years to understand you comment, but there are some very very simple designs to crib from, especially when everything bah the firing pin is onboard the magazine.

Trying to get from the butt, into the hollow of the lighter and into the extending breach is nigh on impossible. I accept that fully, but this was never my intension. (any chance you can take that leather gloved backhander back???)

When i get a chance, i will try to sketch up exactly what I mean, but I dont have exact dims for the extending breach from anyone yet, so it will be a "best estimate" to show the principle.

The cufflinks have been annoying me for a while now, i just dont like the threads, however, is there any reason why the cufflink could have a female thread??? (que lightbulb ding).

When the ciggie case lid flips over, a small thread could be eased from the inside through what was the top of the case to the trigger point. Thus a short robust male thread appears for the cufflink to attach to. This in my mind gives a better cufflink, and a better method of fixing to the case lid top / trigger point.

The cufflink itself doesnt seem to function too well (as you pointed out). Im thinking the shaped plate closest to the trigger fixing should be fixed to the be of the cuff link, and the other should be capable of moving through 90 degrees. I have thought a small spring load ball mechanism would help keep it in place at its 6 o clock (trigger) and 9 o clock (in shirt) position, applying some pressure against the shaft as a stay, much like the toggle bar on a proper cuff link, that seems to have a 'click' seating motion.

I like the FE, dont get me wrong, its a cracking item, but its a tad shiney for my liking, and the cufflink really isnt to my liking. but for anyone who hasnt / cant afford and SD, its gotta be the best option.

Agreed, I think you would get laughed off the range with a GG, but I only shoot at home for my own pleasure, so i really dont give a fig about what pro-shooters think...... :))

Finally, I have seen many a reference to a 4.2 calibre bullet, but all of the props look much bigger than this. Has anyone measured either any of the SD or FE bullets Could somebody provide a dim please?:007)

PS, I make the above suggestions for open comment / debate. I relying on your feedback to root out the good ideas from bad. Danjaq (amazingly) said I'd had a couple of decent ideas, so im keen to let you guys rip them appart, so long as the good bits are identified...... LOL
    Do you expect me to talk??

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!!
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I am SA all the way, if you don't keep it SA what is the point in getting all of the measurements :p
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    danjaq doesn't have good ideas, ever, and don't ever trust him with a measuring tape, he grossly exagerates :o
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I was talking about what you are calling the breach, I do see where your coming from with that, but the original is 2 parts, pipe on top of a block.
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    danjaq doesn't have good ideas, ever, and don't ever trust him with a measuring tape, he grossly exagerates :o

Yes his buttplugs were shorter than advertised :v :))

Out of interest (as I am so out of touch) where is the original Golden Gun used in the movie?

NMS
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
    The Archive :o
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I was talking about what you are calling the breach, I do see where your coming from with that, but the original is 2 parts, pipe on top of a block.

Is it actually 2 pieces? Or is it the pipe ad block mated together?

The lock idea was a bit of a fluke down the builders merchant when i was looking for threaded fittings for the pen and barrel connections. Thought this with the small side splines brazed on would save a bucket load of machining.....

danjaq_0ff wrote:

The lock idea was a bit of a fluke down the builders merchant when i was looking for threaded fittings for the pen and barrel connections. Thought this with the small side splines brazed on would save a bucket load of machining.....

correct 2 pieces but screwed together with a grub screw or 2 :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

I was planning to braze for a neat finish.

danjaq_0ff wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

i was hoping to get away with the one piece lock, with the side wings brazed on. The screen shot looked like a single piece.

The_Golden_Gunkk.jpg

Has anybody weighed their FE or SD golden guns?

Can anyone give me an idea of what the final weight should be, ideally of each of the 4 components. Cheers.

forgive me for asking, but why would weight be important?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    forgive me for asking, but why would weight be important?

I dont want something that feels like a pack of fags or a lump of granite!

It would be nice to have something that was roughly the right weight, either slimmed down or bulked up where required.

I did see a discussion on the weight and feel of an SD in a forum somewhere, but it was more along the lines of "it was a nice well balanced weight"...... not it weights in at about ??? grams......

Im just keen to have something that is comparable to either the screen gun or the SD.

Details Geff, Details! Its all about the details!

• CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    Next you'll be asking the exact amount of gunpowder used in the golden gun bullets! lol Who knows, who cares theres detail and theres microscopic detail, know what i mean....
    Aim (pardon the pun) to get the weight about a kilo or so, thats a good weight for a target pistol.

The balance and handling etc isn't important as it's not a working firearm IS IT!!!

But to be honest erm..... DTD2, the weight is going to be the result of what materials and how it is made, rather than your personal choice. If you want to make it lighter, theres not much meat to take out, and if you want it heavier then there isn't any space to add weights to, so imo I'd just not care about weight at all.

Have to agree with CJ (parp) on this one, I really think you have more pressing matters to be figuring out instead of thinking about trivial cack like weight and balance.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    Thanks minigeff nice to know we agree on something for once lol.
    Thanks minigeff nice to know we agree on something for once lol.

don't get too excited, i still hate you

(joke)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    trivial cack

Maybe.....

But IMHO it would be nice to get somewhere close to the weight of the GG's that have been made to date.

Im not trying to match anything gramme for gramme, not for any kind of sporting or balance reasons (WTF?!?!) This was just the comment that was made in a forum somewhere, that the gun "had a good weight and feel to it". rather than a cheap piece of mass produced sh1t3.

Some of the brass im buying is actually hollow section / extruded type profiles, so there is opportunity to add more weight into voids.

Im not trying to be anal about this build, but at least in the right ballpark would be nice.

Slightly off topic, but here's my "small" collection

2011_09_03_10_48_51_56.jpg

is that a pubic hair i see :v :D very nice BTW
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent

Did 007 Q Branch do the H&K?
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.

Are you an airsofter?
    Lovely collection by the way.
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    like the mp5, i'm considering this for when i win the lottery

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/live-firearms-and-shotguns/gsg5-mp5-clone/prod_197.html
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    007 wrote:

Did 007 Q Branch do the H&K?

that is not a ump 9, look closer :D
    minigeff wrote:

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/live-firearms-and-shotguns/gsg5-mp5-clone/prod_197.html

Is it right that you can buy that legally in the UK with no licenses?
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    007 wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

no.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:

Geff,

http://www.replicaairguns.com/posts/2010/7/9/umarex-mp5k-pdw-bb-airgun-review.html

you can buy this Umarex MP5 in the UK anyway, which is fairly cheap and a greta plinking gun for the summer.

007 wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

NOPE! as geff says.

You need a licence based around re-enactments or theatre / film making reasons, for which proof will be required.

that would be the VCR Bill / RIFS.......

minigeff wrote:

Geff,

http://www.replicaairguns.com/posts/2010/7/9/umarex-mp5k-pdw-bb-airgun-review.html

you can buy this Umarex MP5 in the UK anyway, which is fairly cheap and a greta plinking gun for the summer.

ah yes, but its an extremely dangerous BB gun, which I'd need to get a membership at a scirmishing club to entitle me to buy it.

or I could go and buy one in .22 and stick in on me firearms ticket.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:

Geff,

You have to have this UKARA thing though right?
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.