GOP Candidates

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I read George W. Bush has started campaigning for his brother.
    Good.
    Bye bye Jeb. :007)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    cheld wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Nixon (2X), Ford & Reagan all nominated Justices before an election year (all confirmed as well). -{

Nixon nominees Powell and Rehnquist were confirmed in 1971. The election was in 1972.
    Ford nominee Stevens was confirmed in 1975. The election was in 1976.
    Reagan's nominees Bork (rejected), Ginsburg (withdrew) and Kennedy (confirmed) were all nominated in 1987. The election was in 1988.
    So a few months makes a huge difference? Oh. :D

When the entirety of the previous discussion has been about the nomination of justices during an election year, and one commenter arbitrarily moves the goalposts to discuss those justices nominated in the previous year, then yes, it makes a difference.

The Constitution clearly gives the President the power to nominate a SCOTUS justice at any time a vacancy develops. The GOP are being idiots for inventing this "no justices in an election year" claptrap. But let's also not forget that the man who presided over the "borking" of the most recent SCOTUS nominee to be rejected is now the Vice President of the United States.
    Number24 wrote:
    I read George W. Bush has started campaigning for his brother. Can Jeb really be that desperate and can George really be a help to his campaign? I mean, even Trump understands that George was a disaster as a president :#

Terribly mismanaged by Jeb. The better option would have been to bring GWB into the campaign right at the start and give a "Jeb is my brother but he's also his own man" speech to give Jeb some daylight between his own campaign and W's record. Bringing him on-board now, after tRump has been making statements that vicariously link Jeb to 9/11, smacks of desperation.

This exchange was classic:
    Jeb: "My mom is the strongest woman I know."
    Donald: "Maybe she should be running.".
    I think Cruz will win in SC and Bush in NV.

With regards to the Dem candidates, I think it'll be Sanders in NV and Hillary in SC.

Trump's up 17 in SC and 26 in NV.

I agree with your Dem picks.

Who've you got on the Libertarian side?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,806MI6 Agent
    I have to admit I didn't follow the Bengazi incident and Hillary Clinton's role in it. Can anyone fill me in?
    Number24 wrote:
    I have to admit I didn't follow the Bengazi incident and Hillary Clinton's role in it. Can anyone fill me in?
    Some covert s**t was going down, there was a mole, they sent a request for help that couldn't be answered right away due to the black ops nature (probably gun running to our 'pals' whomever THEY are), and some peeps got killed. It's the nature of such business sometimes, but the GOP went on the warpath against Hillary claiming she hung them out to dry. Kind of a non issue in the global scope of things IMO.
    Thanks. I would appriciate the GOP view of this too.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    The Bengazi "scandal" is a bit like the Ebola Hysteria from last year.

As sad it is for those that where the victims of the terror attack, I still fail to see how Clinton is to blame for this - or if anything would have been different under a republican POTUS 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Hillary Clinton took responsibility for the extra security request being denied, seemingly she was keen to keep a low us profile in benghazi so when extra security was requested it was denied. There has been confusion over the cause of the attacks, initially it was claimed as a riot and civil unrest, and not the coordinated terror attack it really was.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Hillary Clinton took responsibility for the extra security request being denied, seemingly she was keen to keep a low us profile in benghazi so when extra security was requested it was denied. There has been confusion over the cause of the attacks, initially it was claimed as a riot and civil unrest, and not the coordinated terror attack it really was.
    Yeah, and the cause was a covert mission that the local (& not-so-local) strong arms got wind of through inside intel. The spy business can be very rough... :#
    edited February 2016
    jeb Bush Tweeted a picture of a his handgun with the caption "America". Some people found this inspirational and made other georaphical tweets with pictures to help him out :)

The original:

CbXbjS-XIAAU4cJ.jpg
    @Jeb Bush: America

Other helpful suggestions from the net:

CbXpRSMWwAANa52.jpg
    @Jeb Bush: England

CbXmxPoWEAA1V07.jpg
    @Jeb Bush: Norfolk

CbXrqtmWAAExgh5.jpg
    @Jeb Bush: Britain

CbXgR7TW8AArW7C.jpg
    @Jeb Bush: Ireland

CbXg95ZUcAAoj7H.jpg
    @Jeb Bush: Tatoine
    skistaver-95-cm-lange-4327-sandnes-5160996.jpg
    @Jeb Bush: Norway
    chrisisall wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Yeah, and the cause was a covert mission that the local (& not-so-local) strong arms got wind of through inside intel. The spy business can be very rough... :#
    Aint that the truth brother! Loose lips sink ships as we used to say.
    The broader picture of Hillary and Benghazi is the war waged on Libya championed by HRC. It precisely follows the blueprint of Iraq:

* An artificially country of disparate ethnicities cobbled together by the West (in this case Italy, though there is a French Connection as well via currency)
    * Secular dictator rules with iron fist but sorta-kinda keeps sectarian violence in check
    * Local religious minorities, encouraged by the West, revolt and end up killing the dictator
    * Sectarian violence takes over and the country devolves into chaos
    * Bankers profit (Feb. 7, 2016 Guardian: “Libya's central bank has fueled the civil war by continuing to pay state salaries to all the country's myriad warring militias, Britain's ambassador to Tripoli said on Monday.”
    Thank you, but I think I know the general story of what happened in Libya. What I'm interested in is what happened when the US diplomatic compound was was attacked in 2012 and what Hillary Clinton's role was. I understand many in the GOP are critical of her handling of the incident and I was wondering why?
    Number24 wrote:
    Thank you, but I think I know the general story of what happened in Libya. What I'm interested in is what happened when the US diplomatic compound was was attacked in 2012 and what Hillary Clinton's role was. I understand many in the GOP are critical of her handling of the incident and I was wondering why?
    She essentially lied about the cause of the attack, Obviously any covert or black operations are not openly discussed, she also failed to authorise the requested additional security as a way of avoiding attention to the two compounds that were attacked, covert operations can achieve their objectives well, until they're exposed which is embarrassing to say the least.
    I've read up on this a bit now. Just like you said there were US black ops run out of Benghazi and this led to attacks (bombings ands assassination atemps) by extreme islamists, but the State Departement didn't beef up security. As Secretary of State Hillary clinton has been criticized for this. After the attacks on the 11th of September 2012 the State Department and Clinton commented in a way that gave the impressions the attacks were spontanous reactions from the movie Innocence of Muslims, while they were in fact planned by terrorist organizations. Is that right?
    Number24 wrote:
    I've read up on this a bit now. Just like you said there were US black ops run out of Benghazi and this led to attacks (bombings ands assassination atemps) by extreme islamists, but the State Departement didn't beef up security. As Secretary of State Hillary clinton has been criticized for this. After the attacks on the 11th of September 2012 the State Department and Clinton commented in a way that gave the impressions the attacks were spontanous reactions from the movie Innocence of Muslims, while they were in fact planned by terrorist organizations. Is that right?
    Yes pretty much, it's a fact that the US officials based in benghazi actually requested more security but Clinton refused this so as not to draw attention to the said black ops, and I think she purposely denied the true intent of the attacks to protect a covert operation she had full knowledge of and knew had been compromised.
    I discussed this at length with a former colleague of mine who works at a us communications site in North Yorkshire. He was really quite laid back about Clintons actions.
    Interesting.
    Back to the lections. While I've given Jeb Bush a hard time these last few days, I wouldn't be horrified if he won. If a Republican had to win the presidency, he looks like one of the best candidates. Jeb seems far more centerist than the frontrunners and he is experienced. He also seems more like his father (who was a competent president) and less like his brother (who might have been the worst ever IMO). Sadly for him he lacks the charisma one needs to exite the masses.

..... And where is everyone tonight?
    Number24 wrote:

Mmm-K, so the largest military in the world comes to your hometown, starts gunrunning and setting up secret prisons and God-knows-what-else, and when you resist you're the "extreme terrorist". Got it.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    All I know for sure at the minute is I don't want any more bloody Clintons in power! X-(
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    cheld wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Mmm-K, so the largest military in the world comes to your hometown, starts gunrunning and setting up secret prisons and God-knows-what-else, and when you resist you're the "extreme terrorist". Got it.
    I think number24 actually extreme islamists and terrorist organisations.
    One nations terrorist is another nations freedom fighter.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    cheld wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I think number24 actually extreme islamists and terrorist organisations.
    One nations terrorist is another nations freedom fighter.

Ansar al-Sharia in Libya (ASL) who were behind the attacks is designated a terrorist organisation by the UN. They advocate a strict version of sharia and oppose free elections. There's been talk of ASL joining up with ISIL, but as yet this hasn't happened.
    Number24 wrote:
    Ansar al-Sharia in Libya (ASL) who were behind the attacks is designated a terrorist organisation by the UN.

That designation came in 2014, almost two years after the attacks. Looks like the UN was a little late to the party.
    There's been talk of ASL joining up with ISIL, but as yet this hasn't happened.

The shifting alliances merely buttress my points that (a) the West should leave these folks the hell alone and stop sacrificing our blood and treasure; (b) when the military of Country A starts running black ops in Country B, it shouldn't be surprised when the natives of Country B resist violently.

When the West assisted the Libyan rebels in knocking out Gaddafi, they opened up a power vacuum that ASL gladly jumped into (Gaddafi had jailed several ASL leaders including Benghazi mastermind Ahmed Abu Khattala). A replay of Iraq, which was a replay of Iran, and now the West wants to do the same with Syria. Effing insane.
    cheld wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Ansar al-Sharia in Libya (ASL) who were behind the attacks is designated a terrorist organisation by the UN.

That designation came in 2014, almost two years after the attacks. Looks like the UN was a little late to the party.
    There's been talk of ASL joining up with ISIL, but as yet this hasn't happened.

The shifting alliances merely buttress my points that (a) the West should leave these folks the hell alone and stop sacrificing our blood and treasure; (b) when the military of Country A starts running black ops in Country B, it shouldn't be surprised when the natives of Country B resist violently.

When the West assisted the Libyan rebels in knocking out Gaddafi, they opened up a power vacuum that ASL gladly jumped into (Gaddafi had jailed several ASL leaders including Benghazi mastermind Ahmed Abu Khattala). A replay of Iraq, which was a replay of Iran, and now the West wants to do the same with Syria. Effing insane.

Leaving these countries alone can be a horrible mistake. The US and the rest of the West left Afghanistan alone after 1989 - that didn't work out so well for New york :(

If the Wikipedia entry on ASL is to be believed the organisation is clearly extremist, but at least not a typical terrorist organisation like I wrote. Their activities are listed as an assassination of a rival war lord, attacks on some shrines they believe to be for the wrong type of islam and fighting other armed groups. And there is the attacks on the US diplomatic compounds. It's hard to say if any of this can be classified as terrorism, especially when the US compound were used as bases for military black ops. It doesn't look like classical terrorism where one targets defenceless and very schocking/media friendly targets to get attention for your cause, that's for sure. I might have jumped the gun (in lack of a better phrase) this time...
    Another thing: I agree the NATO bombings of Libya opened up a powder keg. Surprisingly Norway and Denmark were among the most active bombers of that country. The decision to bomb Libya was made far too hastely here in Norway. Believe it or not, the Prime Minister negotiated and got the OK for the bombings from the oposition leaders - via text messages! :o
    Number24 wrote:
    Leaving these countries alone can be a horrible mistake. The US and the rest of the West left Afghanistan alone after 1989 - that didn't work out so well for New york :(
    9-11 in NY was the result of mismanagement & ass-covering, corporate-style, of our intelligence community. The guys on the bottom doing the job came through, the guys at the top f***ed up.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    9-11 in NY was the result of mismanagement & ass-covering, corporate-style, of our intelligence community. The guys on the bottom doing the job came through, the guys at the top f***ed up.

The failiure to stop 9/11 were what you mention. But the people who carried out the attacks planned and trained in Afghanistan. If the US and the West hadn't ignored the country after the Soviets left, but instead buildt on the support the US had at time because of their support in the fight against the Soviets ..... well, who knows?
    Number24 wrote:
    If the US and the West hadn't ignored the country after the Soviets left, but instead buildt on the support the US had at time because of their support in the fight against the Soviets ..... well, who knows?
    Good point. {[]
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    All I know for sure at the minute is I don't want any more bloody Clintons in power! X-(

+ 1 (Bushes either, honestly :s )
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
This discussion has been closed.