The Actual Prop Golden Gun.

Comments

• sumnersumner Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    A few years ago Elstree studios laid claim to having in their possession an original Golden gun prop this was later said to be stolen and covered by the mainstream media. I personally talked to Mr. Harrison before it was stolen and he said that it was actually used on set, when I started to question him further the mechanics of the gun it started to differ quite a bit from what the film makers said. He said that the version he had was the one that came apart and assembled and it loaded from the back. As I continued to question he started saying that the one that fired was a gas-powered gun. I asked him to send pictures but I never got any to support his claim.

I don’t believe that the actual gun was ever in their possession however I bight be wrong. I always thought that EON always had all of the guns. I have also heard that the gun they had was a fan made product… does anyone have any info on this topic?
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    And I got pic of Singe and you Bruv :D -{ Mandy's back on research track, i'd say she's done pretty good so far :D
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    sumner wrote:
    A few years ago Elstree studios laid claim to having in their possession an original Golden gun prop this was later said to be stolen and covered by the mainstream media. I personally talked to Mr. Harrison before it was stolen and he said that it was actually used on set, when I started to question him further the mechanics of the gun it started to differ quite a bit from what the film makers said. He said that the version he had was the one that came apart and assembled and it loaded from the back. As I continued to question he started saying that the one that fired was a gas-powered gun. I asked him to send pictures but I never got any to support his claim.

I don’t believe that the actual gun was ever in their possession however I bight be wrong. I always thought that EON always had all of the guns. I have also heard that the gun they had was a fan made product… does anyone have any info on this topic?

Legally no one should comment on this as a specific individual has been named and probably shouldn't have been however at the time of this story my clients own GG prototype/b*stard was on loan to the IWM the For Your Eyes Only exhibition. My understanding was that there was an investigation carried out however the production company were remarkably quiet regarding the incident. A very well known individual/collector was approached with the offer of a GG which was being brokered by ???? at the film studio however in my opinion it differed too greatly from the archived artifact to be the film prop and I advised him as such. Since this time at least 2 identical fan/engineer built examples have surfaced on the collectors market. Draw your on conclusions if this relates to your question or not?
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    sumner wrote:

Legally no one should comment on this as a specific individual has been named and probably shouldn't have been however at the time of this story my clients own GG prototype/b*stard was on loan to the IWM the For Your Eyes Only exhibition. My understanding was that there was an investigation carried out however the production company were remarkably quiet regarding the incident. A very well known individual/collector was approached with the offer of a GG which was being brokered by ???? at the film studio however in my opinion it differed too greatly from the archived artifact to be the film prop and I advised him as such. Since this time at least 2 identical fan/engineer built examples have surfaced on the collectors market. Draw your on conclusions if this relates to your question or not?

thank you that helps a lot. :)
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Big dog Ed is the one with the most knowledge, he is the one that started me on the GG journey, so it is he that should have all of the stalkers :D

The hell with the Stalkers...where are the "Groupies"
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    If only Ed :D

danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Big dog Ed is the one with the most knowledge, he is the one that started me on the GG journey, so it is he that should have all of the stalkers :D

The hell with the Stalkers...where are the "Groupies"
    Ok in various photos and listening to people there is claim to a ruby being on the cigarette case and it certainally looks like it

gol.jpg

However, when i saw a FE golden gun I thought they got it wrong untill i saw this photo what apears to me to be the same shinny red metal the FE replica used.

dup.jpg

so is it a ruby or is it metal?
  • spartanrkspartanrk Las VegasPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    Definitely a metal ruby. I knew George who had a gg that he got from Steve. It is definitely a ruby... But metal.

I'm new to this forum... Traditionally spent most of my time on beingjamesbond.com... But man, can I suggest that you lighten up a bit? Being new yourself... It appears you may be coming off a bit harsh here bro. Anyone else getting the same vibe?
    I honestly don't mean to come across harsh and I just don't want to write anything false. A picture is worth a thousand words so that has been my reliable source. Especially since i don't have access to the prop or have seen it myself. what gets me asking questions is when i start doubting myself and when things don't seem to match up. So far everyone has been extremely helpful. thank you all
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Metal ruby?.

I only know rubies or red glass stones :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Believe honesty is the best policy here;

No fan written book would get endorsed by eon, more so one on the golden gun and it's controversial origins. Writing the 'truth' could land a whole heap of people in trouble, including the author, probably why it's not been done before. Let sleeping dogs lie etc.

Good luck with your project sumner, but past experiences of helping people out have usually lead to me being shat on from great heights, therefore in the words of duncan bananatyne;

Am ooot.

MG
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:

No fan written book would get endorsed by eon, more so one on the golden gun and it's controversial origins. Writing the 'truth' could land a whole heap of people in trouble, including the author, probably why it's not been done before. Let sleeping dogs lie etc.

Good luck with your project sumner, but past experiences of helping people out have usually lead to me being shat on from great heights, therefore in the words of duncan bananatyne;

Am ooot.

MG

I appreciate you telling me this, and I verywell might not get in endorsed, I'm not saying that I know anything and right now it's still a work in progress. I'm more keen on trying to figure out what is what based on factual info including the art and engerneering behind the various props used in films.
    minigeff wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Ah, that's the reason for your shabby watches :))

Whatever frank butcher.

LOL:

ei33wl.jpg

sumner wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Am ooot.

MG

I appreciate you telling me this, and I verywell might not get in endorsed, I'm not saying that I know anything and right now it's still a work in progress. I'm more keen on trying to figure out what is what based on factual info including the art and engerneering behind the various props used in films.

ok, i'm not trying to be fatalistic, just being realistic. you won't get endorsed. i hope you get what you want from your project, but i've seen this kinda thing before. i recall some poor chap thinking he was the next fleming and he wrote this script, and everyone on the forum (not this one) was saying it was real good (they were mostly kids) and this poor chap sent off his idea hoping that EoN would take it on board or even involve him in the filming. Course, he didn't hear back and was real down about it etc, i think he stopped posting after that, probably cos of embarrasment.

i don't know your background sumner, or your age etc, but i'm just trying to avoid anyone giving you any false aspirations. like i say, i hope you get what you want out of this.

as for get the record set straight, bear in mind most people involved with the making of the golden gun are now sadly no longer with us, plus the film was made 38 years ago, so you're having to go on people's memories, hearsay and rumors. I really doubt anyone will, or can be able to actually nail it down and say 'this is the definitive facts'.

as for making the golden gun, etc etc this has all been debated before. with your lurking around as an observer you've probably seen the numerous posts and discussions about it all.

good luck with your quest, and i hope that you, and others here will see i'm not trying to be nasty or defeatist, but just trying to point out a few bits of reality about what you're hoping to achieve.

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I appreciate all of your answers guys, let me tell you a little about myself, I am an artist and work for a joint company that specializes in everything from loans to restoring antique aircraft for museums. My job is to recreate items for museums write articles and sort through the myths that revolve around them I'm a sort of multi-talented curator. I have been an avid James Bond fan since I was 9 years old I'm now 27 years old. I am gathering info on topics that have raised question in my eyes that directly relate to James bond, the magazine that is produced is free and is for the artist community, it highlights works of art that various artist have done and gets names out into the marketing world. I thought it would be nice to go beyond that and experiment with the art we don't realize (like the creativity that goes into movie props)

I started with the golden gun because to me it seems to be the one prop that is shrouded in the most mystery, its creative, and its one of my personal favorite props. I don't rely on the internet because anyone can post anything real or not. So I do my own research and I do it on and off gathering everything I can then I compare it to the stories out there. Most of the time I'm right but sometimes I'm wrong. when looking for info I need a answer that goes beyond "because i say so" :p that is not enough in the business I'm part of. reasons are best, :) give your reasons for what you believe if you have a photo, video, or connection your encouraged to list them. Things like pictures of the prop are great and is considered the ultimate proof. I'm not saying you have to comment or divulge any information you don't want to. All I'm asking is for some help. I'm simply trying to get to the bottom of the story. I have laid out some of my research in previous post that support what I gathered and like I said its not necessarily true. if worse comes to worst than at least I had fun doing it and I truly appreciate all of those that help.

Sumner
    As far as i'm aware you won't get confidential information regarding Golden Gun via AJB, no one's gonna put their knowledge on a public forum, you should know it thru your work - getting/gathering information and proofs ain't easy.

Best way would be find the expert/source, build the trust with him/her and meet face to face, in-person -{

But prepare that they say NO to you...

I'm not saying, that i don't believe you etc. it's just that internet can be really dodgy place ... ;)

Formerly known as Teppo
    Thank you for that and yes the Internet is a dodgy place and one of the reasons I don't like to rely on it. Yes I've done my own research but as far as knowing people In the industry I have little contact info. I am accustomed to dealing with artist in the state and I have samples of their work to go by including numerous interviews.
    Sumner, as you mention having done interviews:

See some members here like artists whom you want to interview.
    Sometimes you get it at the spot, sometimes, you have to build up a relationship with the "artist" (not sure, if I will call Pete an artist ever again ;) ) over a very long time. The more you keep on pushing, the less you get.

Relationship in german means "Beziehung". Part of the word roots in "ziehen" - pull and we say, Relation means pulling and not pushing.

Additionally be aware, that the ownership of a prop or any inside information is delicate in many ways.
    Employees are obliged to keep things secret, and I for my part don't want to have people turning up in front of my house when I am not there :v

Seems that i'm not welcome to Germany :)) :))

Formerly known as Teppo
    just Germany :D
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sumner, as you mention having done interviews:

See some members here like artists whom you want to interview.
    Sometimes you get it at the spot, sometimes, you have to build up a relationship with the "artist" (not sure, if I will call Pete an artist ever again ;) ) over a very long time. The more you keep on pushing, the less you get.

Relationship in german means "Beziehung". Part of the word roots in "ziehen" - pull and we say, Relation means pulling and not pushing.

Additionally be aware, that the ownership of a prop or any inside information is delicate in many ways.
    Employees are obliged to keep things secret, and I for my part don't want to have people turning up in front of my house when I am not there :v

Ah i get it! I'm sorry if I came across to be pushy, but I am on a deadline :p . I only want to write the facts so any info that I stated is up for debate and most of what I needed was in fact answered. before any of this can be publish it has to be approved by my superiors and they are very good at their job and getting approvals. Museums pay a lot of money to have the things they do and its big business. A lot of them don't want to go through the process of loaning items so they usually get people like me to write articles to stir up interest or replicate objects to keep the originals in storage and safe from the traveling and even light. I never knew that asking info on the props and inquiring would be so difficult, sensitive, and so secretive, it almost feels like i have been asking people for nuclear launch codes :p. i understand how you would not want crazies showing up. :o Even I can't divulge some information within my company. I guess I just never thought of it that way.
    sumner wrote:
    I never knew that asking info on the props and inquiring would be so difficult, sensitive, and so secretive, it almost feels like i have been asking people for nuclear launch codes :p.

On an open forum, You should be aware that you cannot expect people to give information - just like that.

Like you yourself agreed, internet is a dodgy place -{

Formerly known as Teppo
    Teppo wrote:
    sumner wrote:
    I never knew that asking info on the props and inquiring would be so difficult, sensitive, and so secretive, it almost feels like i have been asking people for nuclear launch codes :p.

On an open forum, You should be aware that you cannot expect people to give information - just like that.

Like you yourself agreed, internet is a dodgy place -{

Indeed.
    Peter Lamont said hat he first made a balsa wood gun utilizing a real waterman pen, If so This is the true first Golden gun made. he then took the gun to Colibri to make the gun out of metal. after which he got the 2nd gun, according to what was said in the extras within the DVD it looked awful and Mr. Broccoli was stiffed with a bill. It was said that a gun was was dropped and broken/never used. (I don't know if this is that gun but from what I gather I do believe it was at least used in a photo shoot)

finally got the picture guys

origional_gun_3.jpg

origionl_gun_2.jpg

origional_gun_1.jpg

very different than the other 3 used in the film.

take a close look at this photo You can tell its the same gun because of where the lighter is divided along with other features.

KGr_Hq_NHJ_0_E9q_HLBHDNBP_l_B5_o_60_57.jpg

this sure looks like the Peter Nelson Gun to me but you be the judge.
    edited May 2012
    more on the holes.

I was recently told by an expert that these are shadows: However, I found additional photos listed below that also have these strange spots on the bottom of the cigarette case, I'm not saying its holes, they could very well be shadows, even scuff marks. The thing I find strange is that they appear in the same spot in two different photos not to mention different lighting.

This picture was pulled from a book highlighting the various props and I have pointed out these 2 questionable places.

golden_gun_and_plane_car.jpg

This next picture is from a much later photo notice that the spots have not moved and are still there.

exibition_3_copy.jpg

Again Im just posting what I observed as far as my research has gone. None of my postings are definite just speculations.
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent
    that is a great picture!
    sumner wrote:

take a close look at this photo You can tell its the same gun because of where the lighter is divided along with other features.

KGr_Hq_NHJ_0_E9q_HLBHDNBP_l_B5_o_60_57.jpg

this sure looks like the Peter Nelson Gun to me but you be the judge.
    The holes you talked of in an earlier post were ones on the barrel, I didn't say that no holes were on the cigarette case 8-) if you have studied this prop for 15years you would know it like a map.

I would also agree that it is the same GG in the B&W photo, so what is your point? how would this prove it is the one made by colibri?

sumner wrote:
    more on the holes.

I was recently told by an expert that these are shadows: However, I found additional photos listed below that also have these strange spots on the bottom of the cigarette case, I'm not saying its holes, they could very well be shadows, even scuff marks. The thing I find strange is that they appear in the same spot in two different photos not to mention different lighting.

This picture was pulled from a book highlighting the various props and I have pointed out these 2 questionable places.

This next picture is from a much later photo notice that the spots have not moved and are still there.

exibition_3_copy.jpg

Again Im just posting what I observed as far as my research has gone. None of my postings are definite just speculations.
    Just when pete got rid of one...

stalker_Funny_tombstones-s400x500-214954.jpg

:))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited May 2012
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    The holes you talked of in an earlier post were ones on the barrel, I didn't say that no holes were on the cigarette case 8-) if you have studied this prop for 15years you would know it like a map.

I would also agree that it is the same GG in the B&W photo, so what is your point? how would this prove it is the one made by colibri?

sumner wrote:
    more on the holes.

exibition_3_copy.jpg

studied it for 15 years yes but what I list is all based on speculation and photos. I've never seen the actual prop before in person and I'm just listing my findings and my ideas. I'm not trying to make any point. I don't have proof that Colibri made any of the guns I have listed and i am not trying to prove it. the photo with the karate sister posing was just to say that in at least one photo it "looks" like the Peter Nelson gun was used that's all. I just list my ideas and theories and findings and then say what I believe :D. Y'all are the ones that are saying rather its right or wrong for me ;) . I can easily spot a fake when it comes down to the actual prop in a museum or photo and I know it like the back of my hand visually but I was not around for the guns whole history and weeding through the stuff is not easy :P so I'm missing a lot of gaps that might just remain a mystery. ?:)
    Is the aim to gather enough information on the golden gun to write an article or chapter for a book, or to make a screen accurate replica?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org