The Billy Reid Peacoat is a GO!

Comments

• SecretAgentSecretAgent PDXPosts: 28MI6 Agent
    My two cents, I am an XL normally, but most bond stuff runs small, I bought an xxl in the peacoat and it was huge, so order normal size I think. I have not tried on an XL, but sounds like I might be doing so very soon. Thanks to everybody who persevered and got this done!
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent
    My two cents, I am an XL normally, but most bond stuff runs small, I bought an xxl in the peacoat and it was huge, so order normal size I think. I have not tried on an XL, but sounds like I might be doing so very soon. Thanks to everybody who persevered and got this done!

I bought one at their DC store back in 2017 (ah, when you could travel, such sweet memory) and they had old and new versions. I only know this as they somehow switched out which version they had in their hands between me trying it on and the register so when I got back to the hotel and tried it on again they size that was a perfect fit in the store couldn't even get over my shoulders...I went back to the store and they talked me through how the sizing had completely changed as well as the cut being tweaked. I ended up getting one of the older versions having to go 3 sizes up to get the same great fit.

So after that experience I would always ask them for measurements as opposed to the sizes with them.
  • km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    MikeG77 wrote:
    frommeyer wrote:
    So I finally ordered a Bond Peacoat. Billy Reid seems to have changed a few things. From the website:
    Our iconic peacoat, named for our Bond Street store, is made in Italy from a durable and warm melton wool, and trimmed with luxurious calfskin. Finished with genuine horn buttons and a leather undercollar. Updated for the season with a more relaxed fit, and a slightly lighter fabric that allows more movement.

Sounds like a fuller cut. And the fabric composition is now 75% wool and 25% nylon. Should arrive early next week. I'm excited.

Seems like a cost cutting measure going to a lighter 75/25 blend. The leather under the collar is definitely different and it's lighter and it also seems like the taper is less pronounced. If anyone is looking for a lighter weight version keep an eye out for the virgin wool/cashmere blend!

Composition only 5% less wool, could be a cost thing, sure. I’ll bet it’s less stiff than my 80/20 was new. Took several wears before it got a little easier to wear.. perhaps that’s why they “tweaked the cut” for more movement, after a lot of feedback.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,769MI6 Agent
    km1fdm wrote:
    MikeG77 wrote:
    frommeyer wrote:
    So I finally ordered a Bond Peacoat. Billy Reid seems to have changed a few things. From the website:

Sounds like a fuller cut. And the fabric composition is now 75% wool and 25% nylon. Should arrive early next week. I'm excited.

Seems like a cost cutting measure going to a lighter 75/25 blend. The leather under the collar is definitely different and it's lighter and it also seems like the taper is less pronounced. If anyone is looking for a lighter weight version keep an eye out for the virgin wool/cashmere blend!

Composition only 5% less wool, could be a cost thing, sure. I’ll bet it’s less stiff than my 80/20 was new. Took several wears before it got a little easier to wear.. perhaps that’s why they “tweaked the cut” for more movement, after a lot of feedback.

I wear my 80/20 a lot and it definitely took a few wears to really break it in. If i remember correctly the original Bond peacoat was slightly bigger in the chest and waist but also slightly shorter. I wish my XL was a half inch bigger in chest and shoulders.
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    The coat arrived yesterday. I ordered a medium expecting that to be a snug fit (based on its reputation) as I'm usually between a small and a medium in a lot of brands. Yet it fits like a slim large. I'm fine with it because Chicago winters demand layers.

But anyone looking to get one should adjust their priors on sizing. I believe it's more true-to-size than it was previously.
  • JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent
    For all the Billy Reid Peacoat owners, do you all believe the ticket price is worth the cost of the cost?
    "History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    JTullock23 wrote:
    For all the Billy Reid Peacoat owners, do you all believe the ticket price is worth the cost of the cost?

Well, you can find great quality peacoats for lower prices......Schott is a good exemple for that kind of garment. Billy Reid is a "luxury" brand so you have to pay the price but they make good quality products....but you pay for the brand !!!
  • TheExit148TheExit148 Posts: 562MI6 Agent
    I would try to find a billy Reid pea coat on eBay or grailed. I got a medium orig wool run off eBay for $350 cdn.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited September 2020
    JTullock23 wrote:
    Of course not, but Bond wore it in SF so that makes it OK :D

Just out of interest does anyone else have pilling at the end of the sleeves?

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • Rolextraveler_1905Rolextraveler_1905 Posts: 11MI6 Agent

Who do I contact to put my name on the list?

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,378Chief of Staff

There is no list…you just buy it from Billy Reid now...

YNWA 97
  • RichardCard82RichardCard82 Posts: 290MI6 Agent

Looks like its been out of stock for a while, I wonder if it will come back

• 405405 Posts: 119MI6 Agent

Hoping it does. I was planning to buy one this season and have been keeping an eye on it.

• 405405 Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Heads up, the Billy Reid peacoat is back in stock on the BR site! Just ordered!

Nice, I just ordered it myself! Got it in a large as its 22 inches pit to pit which will fit nicely

• TheBondFanTheBondFan Posts: 25MI6 Agent

I'm really interested in picking one up eventually, this winter or next, but even if Billy Reid's Newsletter sign up worked for 15% off, 600 USD is still quite steep for me. I've seen prices reach as low as 399 USD on Uncrate before. Anyone know the lowest I can reasonably try to hold out for to get a medium?

• NalliacNalliac Posts: 26MI6 Agent

Also worth noting the mix is now 75% wool / 25% poly.

• DanielCDanielC Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

No, but on a 25-30% discount. It's a very stylish peacoat - the most appealing? - and also well-tailored. But it lacks a lining and loses a bit of its sexy shape when really broken in.

Looking for a ROYALE Filmwear Talamone Shawl Collar Cardigan, size medium. Preferably in Europe, but the US would work as well. Feel free to send a PM!
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,084MI6 Agent

For me the Billy Reid Peacoat had two shortcomings. The hand warmer pockets were too small for my hands and the lack of lining in the sleeves made it difficult to put on the coat without my shirt sleeves riding up.

• otacon 01otacon 01 Posts: 74MI6 Agent

I saw that too.

Has it gone up in price over the last ten years? I'm not sure it has. I wonder if they're making it out of cheaper material (I guess that's up for debate) to compensate.

Pretty sure they do it just about every year or every other year now.

I like mine, but I wouldn't have liked paying full price for it. I have a Schott (32 oz. melton wool) and I probably still wore that more often last winter, but maybe now that I'm back at the office I'll be wearing this one more often. Still haven't gotten it tailored, though.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/comment/1010508

• km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent

Billy Reid has sales for Thanksgiving in the US, if you can wait a month to buy one. They don't exclude anything afaik.. got mine at the discount a few years ago.

Thank you all!

I was recently I’m Nashville and was going to check out the store there. Missed out on going. Had a death in family while I was there. I live in Arizona and don’t have too much use for a Peacoat here most of the year.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
    edited October 2021

Well I got my size large that I recently ordered, and the sleeves are a little too long... The body is a bit wide too. It measures roughly 23 to 23.5 inches pit to pit... Anyone that recently bought one in a size medium have measurements? I guess its good for layering having a larger size

photos for reference

Richard, I think it looks nice on you. It is a little on the full side, but that is to be expected, in my opinion. You should try it on with a layer or two. You can also have the sleeves shortened and a good tailor can taper them slightly so they don’t bell out at the wrist. Maybe you’d feel better about it then?

I think you're right, the medium may be a little too snug and i wouldn't be able to layer it. Ill see about the sleeves getting them shorter

I think it will feel better overall with the sleeves the correct length.

• DanielCDanielC Posts: 65MI6 Agent

A life hack: The wool of the BR peacoat is so dense he could fold the sleeves outside - inside. I never bothered tailoring mine.

Looking for a ROYALE Filmwear Talamone Shawl Collar Cardigan, size medium. Preferably in Europe, but the US would work as well. Feel free to send a PM!