Gunbarrel sequence

Comments

• JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Recent reviewers who saw SKYFALL on October 12 are saying there is no gun barrel sequence at the start of Skyfall (2012).

This angers me. This angers me greatly. X-(
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Upon further thought, I guess it would be best not to jump to conclusions here. We do know that a gunbarrel sequence was shot with Craig in traditional suit. Not to disparidge the poster or his source but until someone actually sees the film we can't be sure.
    Maybe the new tradition is the gunbarrel at the end followed by a full rendering of the Bond theme. I much prefer it at the begining. Just seems like someone(s) at EON have a fetish about messing about with it.

Alot of my frustration (over what some may consider a minor point) is that it looks like EON may have make a great Bond film but just missed on one small point that is only amplified by its' possible omission or misplacement. Just seems like overeaching, this is an official Bond film, not "NSNA".
  • JimatayJimatay Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    For me it's a minor niggle these days. The film being decent is my main concern and I'm sure 5 minutes in I won't be bothered about the gunbarrel not being at the start. However I don't understand the reasoning for not going at the beginning of Skyfall (if there is one.) Bond has become Bond now and with "going back to classic Bond" I would have thought it would have made sense for the gunbarrel to be at the beginning, that and because its an important anniversary.
  • FitzochrisFitzochris Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    Fitzochris wrote:
    My only hope is that something happens in the editing room between the press screening and the official launch.
    That will be impossible - 35mm prints and DCPs (digital cinema packages) are being produced right now, to be shipped to exhibitors.

Well I can honestly say that if I deem Skyfall a five-star film, this will see me give it a four. Needless meddling. The gunbarrel at the end of QoS was a statement that the Bond we know is back.

Skyfall, in the franchise's 50th year, was just gagging to kick off with that signature sequence and a belting Bond score. To omit that is sheer madness in my eyes. It makes this Bond already less classic before I've even seen it.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure why the gun barrel sequence wouldn't be in the film given that so much of it is designed to look "retro" in the first place and it's the 50th anniversary of the series . . .
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Fitzochris wrote:

Well I can honestly say that if I deem Skyfall a five-star film, this will see me give it a four.

Seriously? If so, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read :))
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:

Well I can honestly say that if I deem Skyfall a five-star film, this will see me give it a four.

Yes dickhead, really. For the reasons you chose not to quote.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Could this be a ploy? When they show the movie to the first real audience might it have a proper Gunbarrel just to wow us?
    *hopes*
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:

Oh dear, another pupil at the 'speshal skool' has gained access to the Internet without supervision.

I really hope you're not a film critic, but I doubt that anyway by the lack of sense.

Anyway, we're all aware that there's a gunbarrel sequence, whether it happens at the start like TB or features at the end like QoS, I'm not really that bothered tbh.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    chrisisall wrote:
    Could this be a ploy? When they show the movie to the first real audience might it have a proper Gunbarrel just to wow us?
    *hopes*

I really hope you're right.

To not have the gunbarrel at the start is, IMO, quite disrespectful to the franchise. I can understand if it's just a 1 film exception (CR), and QOS only includes it at the end to 'ease us back into it'..... but Skyfall is supposed to be the 50th damn anniversary. Needless, silly, and pretentious tampering IMO. "Let's make everything different for the sake of it" - NO film makers, give me bloody proper bond! I thought this was supposed to be 'classic bond'? Sorry if this is an overreaction, but it's just how I feel on the matter.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

Jarvio wrote:
    Needless, silly, and pretentious tampering IMO. "Let's make everything different for the sake of it"
    Have you seen Calvin Dyson's review of DAD? His reaction to the Gunbarrel is funny, but when I saw THAT for real first time in the movie I was like WTF?
    Thou shalt not mess with the holy Gunbarrel! X-(
    minigeff wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Oh dear, another pupil at the 'speshal skool' has gained access to the Internet without supervision.

I really hope you're not a film critic, but I doubt that anyway by the lack of sense.

Anyway, we're all aware that there's a gunbarrel sequence, whether it happens at the start like TB or features at the end like QoS, I'm not really that bothered tbh.

MG -{

Lack of sense? Special school? Why, because I reacted when some cockend chose to criticise my opinion, despite me justifying it? Plenty of others on this, and other Bond fora, have expressed their displeasure at the gunbarrel being placed at the end of Skyfall. I'm one of them. I'm not a film critic, no, just a fan of the Bond movies and books. Therefore I have an opinion on them and this is a place to express that opinion, is it not?
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Upon further thought, I guess it would be best not to jump to conclusions here. We do know that a gunbarrel sequence was shot with Craig in traditional suit. Not to disparidge the poster or his source but until someone actually sees the film we can't be sure.
    Maybe the new tradition is the gunbarrel at the end followed by a full rendering of the Bond theme.

Indeed... makes no difference to me, beginning, end, as long as the movie's good, which by all accounts, it seems like it will be, then I'll be happy.

Interesting how passionate people are with where this is placed....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Fitzochris wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:

MG -{

Lack of sense? Special school? Why, because I reacted when some cockend chose to criticise my opinion, despite me justifying it? Plenty of others on this, and other Bond fora, have expressed their displeasure at the gunbarrel being placed at the end of Skyfall. I'm one of them. I'm not a film critic, no, just a fan of the Bond movies and books. Therefore I have an opinion on them and this is a place to express that opinion, is it not?

Of course kiddo, everyone is entitled to their opinion, you are, I am and so is ASP9mm.

It just doesn't win you any fans, or improve your image when you start calling people 'dickhead'.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

MG -{

Of course kiddo, everyone is entitled to their opinion, you are, I am and so is ASP9mm.

It just doesn't win you any fans, or improve your image when you start calling people 'dickhead'.

If I was bothered about my image, I'd have my agent post on here for me. Seriously, though, ASP9mm branded my opinion as the most ridiculous he/she had ever heard, despite it being shared by a considerable amount of Bond fans. Hence the reason I didn't coat my response in honey.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:

If I was bothered about my image, I'd have my agent post on here for me. Seriously, though, ASP9mm branded my opinion as the most ridiculous he/she had ever heard, despite it being shared by a considerable amount of Bond fans. Hence the reason I didn't coat my response in honey.

Yeah but when considering the whole film, the cinematography, special effects, soundtrack, acting, editing, plot and story, product placement, camera work, lighting, locations, characters, sets and costumes, the one thing that brings the score down by a fifth is if the start has a gunbarrel? Really? A FIFTH of the score balances on where a gunbarrel gets used?

The gunbarrel might be iconic bond, but if its used at the end, does it make much difference? It's certainly not the be all and end all of film making.

And don't take ASP's comment so literally, I'd also suggest an apology to ASP, as he's certainly no 'dickhead'.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited October 2012
    minigeff wrote:
    when considering the whole film, the cinematography, special effects, soundtrack, acting, editing, plot and story, product placement, camera work, lighting, locations, characters, sets and costumes,
    MG, I was actually going to not bother seeing the movie at all no matter how good the reviews until I found out Bond was using the PPK again. I'm in now!

:p
    minigeff wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Yeah but when considering the whole film, the cinematography, special effects, soundtrack, acting, editing, plot and story, product placement, camera work, lighting, locations, characters, sets and costumes, the one thing that brings the score down by a fifth is if the start has a gunbarrel? Really? A FIFTH of the score balances on where a gunbarrel gets used?

The gunbarrel might be iconic bond, but if its used at the end, does it make much difference? It's certainly not the be all and end all of film making.

And don't take ASP's comment so literally, I'd also suggest an apology to ASP, as he's certainly no 'dickhead'.

In my opinion, and it is only that, the placement of the gunbarrel is absolutely critical to the make-up of a Bond film.

All the composites you mentioned are critical too, of course, and, as I said, I could well deem Skyfall a five-star movie based on those elements. But if it doesn't start with those white dots and that booming score, it loses its Bondian edge. It felt really strange watching both CR and QoS when they didn't start this way. While I understand why this was the case with these movies, I cannot for one second see why it would be so with Skyfall, especially as we are celebrating 50 years of the franchise.

So, as I say, the film will be tarnished to a degree by the absence of this key, key sequence at its start.

Sorry if this opinion offends anyone.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    Fitzochris wrote:

Your opinion doesn't offend...but your lack of manners certainly does...there is no need, or call for, calling another member a "dickhead" or "cockend"...everyone is entitled to their opinion and people can agree to disagree and debate that in an adult manner...or should be able to anyway... 8-)

I would suggest an apology to Asp9mm from yourself...and his remark had a smilie at the end of it, denoting that he was laughing at the statement rather than the person making it....that would appear obvious to all...
    YNWA 97
    It's obviously all opinions, but I do agree that the gun barrel needs to be at the start.... for me, it is a part of bond. One of the many things that makes bond bond. I'm just slightly saddened that we haven't even had it at the beginning of any of the daniel craig films.

Sir Miles wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:

Your opinion doesn't offend...but your lack of manners certainly does...there is no need, or call for, calling another member a "dickhead" or "cockend"...everyone is entitled to their opinion and people can agree to disagree and debate that in an adult manner...or should be able to anyway... 8-)

I would suggest an apology to Asp9mm from yourself...and his remark had a smilie at the end of it, denoting that he was laughing at the statement rather than the person making it....that would appear obvious to all...

Laughing at the statement is the same as laughing at the person making it in my book. No apology from me I'm afraid... And yet I bet the sun still comes up tomorrow and the earth continues to turn.
    Jarvio wrote:
    It's obviously all opinions, but I do agree that the gun barrel needs to be at the start.... for me, it is a part of bond. One of the many things that makes bond bond. I'm just slightly saddened that we haven't even had it at the beginning of any of the daniel craig films.

My thoughts exactly.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    And yet I bet the sun still comes up tomorrow and the earth continues to turn.

...and Felix Baumgartner continues to jump into it.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:

Laughing at the statement is the same as laughing at the person making it in my book. No apology from me I'm afraid... And yet I bet the sun still comes up tomorrow and the earth continues to turn.

Aw bless. Sensitive boy, ain't ya :))

Arrogant little **** n all :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Jimatay wrote:

...and Felix Baumgartner continues to jump into it.
    That was pretty freakin' awesome, eh?

Ho hum... no proper Gunbarrel after TWINE... the end of a long & (mostly) glorious era.
    minigeff wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Aw bless. Sensitive boy, ain't ya :))

Arrogant little **** n all :))

Arrogant, yes. Little, not so much.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:

Really ? Then you are an arrogant idiot and I bet you make friends easily 8-)
    YNWA 97
    Sooo...the gunbarrel eh?

Back on track people, if I wanna read a slanging match I'd stick to Facebook.
    Jimatay wrote:
    Sooo...the gunbarrel eh?

Back on track people, if I wanna read a slanging match I'd stick to Facebook.

Yes...you are quite right...
    YNWA 97
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I would hate it if they really are not going to put it at the beginning of the movie. And I'm very curious to know WHY they choose to do it.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad