Gunbarrel sequence

Comments

• TaliaferroTaliaferro Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    I definitely didn't like the barrel at the end. Couldn't even see half of it thanks to the half-witted who were already standing up to leave when the white dots just entered the screen. Sure hope they return it to the beginning or forget all about it. Not that I really missed it in the beginning anyway, though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Luckily at my Viewing there where only about 12 people there.
    ( I think my reputation, keeps many away :)) )
    I can see why they did it, Basically it's for the same reason they had
    it at the end of QOS.
    I only Hope that now we have a fully formed Bond and it can go Back
    to where it should be.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Taliaferro wrote:
    I definitely didn't like the barrel at the end. Couldn't even see half of it thanks to the half-witted who were already standing up to leave when the white dots just entered the screen. Sure hope they return it to the beginning or forget all about it. Not that I really missed it in the beginning anyway, though.

Same problem here. I felt like shouting "SIT DOWN - THIS IS PART OF THE F*CK!NG MOVIE!" Barely got a decent look at it so I am hoping I stand a better chance on a second viewing at a less busy time.

Really was hoping for better. Didn't like the timing of it and I didn't like the sequence itself.
    I only Hope that now we have a fully formed Bond and it can go Back
    to where it should be.

I very much hope for this too.
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Taliaferro wrote:

Can you guys please refrain from posting SPOILERS HERE for christs sake!
    There are people on the board who did not see the movie!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Taliaferro wrote:

Can you guys please refrain from posting SPOILERS HERE for christs sake!
    There are people on the board who did not see the movie!

I reckon the topic title should be edited, with 'spoiler' added to it. I would have suggested everyone adds spoiler tags, but that would be a lot of posts to edit...
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Not sure where to ask this, so I'll ask it here (since I don't want to go into the spoiler thread). I remember hearing somewhere that there's something about the first two seconds of this film that you can not miss? Am I crazy, or is the first two seconds anything great? Please put it in a spoiler tag so it's not ruined for anyone.
    the first 2 seconds of footage are blurred and show a figure walking towards us down a dimly lit corridor that's lined with wood panelling and sunlight coming through a shuttered window in the background. The figure walks towards us still, in silhouette and gets closer until he starts to come into our field of focus, a letterbox effect of light highlights just his eyes. It's Bond. A noise alerts him and he raises his ppk....

Quite a cool sequence, but longer than 2 seconds.

Hope this helps,

MG -{

Thank you!!! Still have about a week before it opens here.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Read in one of the many interviews, Sam Mendes said
    that we tried putting the gunbarrell at the beginning but it didn't fit because Bond would be shooting with a gun in the gunbarrell then have one in his had in the opening shot. But surely we had that in PTS for FRWL, Bond with gun in hand after gunbarrel?
  • Luck and FateLuck and Fate Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Slightly of topic but don't feel like a new one is needed. Talking about missing and misplaced Bond elements. I didn't see "James Bond will return". Did I just miss it? People were to anxious to get up and leave during the gun barrel, which I agree should AWAYS be at the beginning.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Slightly of topic but don't feel like a new one is needed. Talking about missing and misplaced Bond elements. I didn't see "James Bond will return". Did I just miss it? People were to anxious to get up and leave during the gun barrel, which I agree should AWAYS be at the beginning.
    you just missed it, its under the 50 years logo right after the gunbarrel.
    you just missed it, its under the 50 years logo right after the gunbarrel.

Thank you so much. This was eating away at me all last night.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    In CR and QoS they sort of explained why they did what they did with the gunbarrel sequence. How do they justify it this time?

Very, very well -{

Oh God, yes.
    Mr Martini wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    I do not understand why EON continues to insist on messing with the Gunbarrel. I actually understood what they were trying to do with it in CR and QOS (Bond becoming Bond and all that stuff). But "Skyfall" apparently takes place some years after CR and QOS and Bond is a veteran "oo". Why can't they just put the bloody thing where it belongs and stop trying to be all cute and creative with it.

This is the re-booted Bond franchise. Connery-Brosnan had the gun barrel we all love at the beginning. This is a different franchise now. Let's be glad they kept the gun barrel. They could of retired it.

Yea! Your right this the re-boot. Screw the old Bond movies, they are so out dated. What's with all those girly silhouette scenes with credits and title themed songs? Why do they come after the movie has already started!? And why does Bond need to introduce himself like he's reading a guest list? He also seems to order that shaken martini a lot, guess it was his thing back then.

This is the re-boot Bond, this is a different franchise now. They could have retired all of that too.

...End spiteful sarcasm.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Well done! :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    wow Luck and Fate, that was so Sarcastic and to the point.

I can admire That. :)) -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • down2000down2000 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    Just put it at the beginning of the film already!!
    Watch this. There are some many minor variation and tweaks in how the gun barrel leads into the opening scene. Sam Mendes seriously couldn't find away to make it fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IdDl-pHeDw&feature=related

I think the whole walking down the hall as a sillhouette was pretty full opening anyway. If Mendes wanted to be artistic and creative with it, he could have cut the hall way walk, and instead had the ending of the gun barrel fade from red to the grey color scheme, and zoom into Craig's face with the beam of light over it. This would me dropping the usual shake and fall but I think it would have been very creative and demonstrate some very clever editing and filming to make it work.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Sam Mendes didn't want to make it fit at the start as it's fits PERFECTLY at the end...I can't believe some people are STILL banging on about this :s
    YNWA 97
    Absolutly Right, No More dissenting voices.
    All opposition Will be crushed, All will follow
    The Leader. :p
    Although I can't see it somehow, We really
    are an unruly Bunch here at Free AJB. :))
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sam Mendes didn't want to make it fit at the start as it's fits PERFECTLY at the end...I can't believe some people are STILL banging on about this :s

Amen!

There's even some on here who have said that they wanted to leave the cinema when it didn't appear where they wanted it. Beggars belief, but that's just me.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Amen!

There's even some on here who have said that they wanted to leave the cinema when it didn't appear where they wanted it. Beggars belief, but that's just me.

They must be over sensitive or a bit ginger beer. :o
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Absolutly Right, No More dissenting voices.
    All opposition Will be crushed, All will follow
    The Leader. :p

Damn right ! And don't you forget it !!

;)

It's not the 'dissenting voices' that annoy - but they do :)) - it's more how people just can't (or won't) see the bleedin' obvious about the placing of the gunbarrel X-(

It's where it is FOR A REASON....not just because they fancied a change...or couldn't fit it in anywhere else...how difficult a concept is that to grasp ?:)
    YNWA 97
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    Mendes DID in fact want it at the beginning but obviously viewing the barrel at the start during editing just didnt feel right for him. Mendes agrees that it is a staple of the series and his that it is one of his favourite parts (all this is in article I posted earlier) also I posted another interview with Barbara Brocolli and Michael G Wilson where Barbara explains that the gunbarrel isnt always at the end now and that it will 'vary' from film to film depending on where it fits. I am one of the few who yearns for it to be back at the start, it has no reason to be at the end, after 3 bloody films they still feel the need to try and 'explain' the gunbarrel sequence to us:

CR - Origin story where Bond becomes Bond
    QoS - Because Bond becomes REAL Bond at the end of this one
    SkyFall - Because Bond didn't really become Bond in CR or QoS, Bond in fact becomes Bond in this one, hones he does! Pinky promise!

Not a dig at Skyfall or CR there, just at the reasoning for messing about with important elements, which are actually important even if some don't want to it admit it, it's there in all the marketing for the film, merchandise, it defines the whole genre in a way as Bond is a spy, and spying refers to the concept of looking... I know what I mean anyway, look on the wikipedia age for the gunbarrel sequence for a better quote. Also it was the 50TH ANNIVERSARY! They relied on the motif for all of the promo stuff, they even used it as the 50th LOGO! It just seems a bit backwards to me.

Anyway I coped with it at the end but I really hope its back at the start of Bond 24, I liked Craigs walk, it is slower and classier that the QoS one, the Gunbarrel design itself I am torn on, it looks a bit soft and didn't really pop, once again the blood was too fast and it just sort of faded straight out mid stream, music was off aswell and the gunshot was too clearly false. Also the the screen was far too filled up with craig's walk with barely any room for the gunbarrel at the bottom or top, it was more like watching the Goldeneye or TND (I forget which) gunbarrel again where the screen is more dominated by the center of the barrel than seeing the whole motif as a whole.

On a side not about the design, I was kind of hoping for a smaller one this time around more like the Simmons/Connery ones. I thought for a while they would use the classic Binder design aswell as they have done for the promo artwork and I am actually fairly glad they didn't, I think with the picture quality we get nowadays it wouldn't work aswell, it would look far too flat and vectorised to use a carbon copy of the original (which they would have to in order to match up with the HD visuals that are the norm these days) In conclusion, just don't think it would of worked.
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
    Ens007 wrote:

That would be me, an I am actually disappointed in myself for not following through :#
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:

That would be me, an I am actually disappointed in myself for not following through :#

Diddums.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I prefer it at the start and I don't really see how it wouldn't have fit just fine before the hallway scene where Bond walks into the light.

That said, this will never be a major flaw of a Bond film to me as long as it is there. It really is nice to see at the start as a bit of a palate cleanser, but it is still a nice sweep of Bond tradition if it is there at the end.
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    I prefer it at the start and I don't really see how it wouldn't have fit just fine before the hallway scene where Bond walks into the light.

That said, this will never be a major flaw of a Bond film to me as long as it is there. It really is nice to see at the start as a bit of a palate cleanser, but it is still a nice sweep of Bond tradition if it is there at the end.

Yeah it should be in the beginning! To give you the Bond feeling immediately. If someone anytime needs an example of dissapointing your audience in the first seconds of a movie...this is your example!

I don't know how they can make this mistake a second time (I actually like it in CR because it's when Bond gets his 00 status).

I also don't know why it wouldn't fit. Stop the gunbarrel in the middle and our silhouette walks in (opening shot SF)
    In QoS it would also fit perfect with the aerial shot over the lake!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    As I'm sure many have already said, now that Bond has come full circle in the post-reboot era, :)) , we can expect to see the gunbarrel return to it's traditional place, right before the PTS. As for the actual gunbarrel, I'm really under-awed and expected so much more "oommph" from such a physically expressive actor like Daniel Craig (observe Lazenby's excellent follow-up to Connery's gunbarrels). In my opinion, the last cool gunbarrel belonged to Roger Moore (the first one he did) and all that followed were unimpressive and seemed so compulsory an act that the actors just wanted to get done with. For this iconic sequence, I think the producers should (if they haven't done so yet) enlist the help of choreographers and combat/speed shooting experts.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Given that Most of the Public get up to leave during the gunbarrel.
    As they don't seem to care, I doubt the Producers will either. It's
    only Fans who argue about it. I'm sure the average Cinema goer
    couldn't Give a toss. :))
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Given that Most of the Public get up to leave during the gunbarrel.
    As they don't seem to care, I doubt the Producers will either. It's
    only Fans who argue about it. I'm sure the average Cinema goer
    couldn't Give a toss. :))

That's probably true, though I have two friends who have separately said it bothers them (they love the CR gunbarrel alternative, though).
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    edited November 2012
    Sir Miles wrote:
    It's where it is FOR A REASON....not just because they fancied a change...or couldn't fit it in anywhere else...how difficult a concept is that to grasp ?:)

So I have to agree with that reason, whatever it happens to be?
    scottmu65 wrote:
    Mendes DID in fact want it at the beginning but obviously viewing the barrel at the start during editing just didnt feel right for him. Mendes agrees that it is a staple of the series and his that it is one of his favourite parts (all this is in article I posted earlier) also I posted another interview with Barbara Brocolli and Michael G Wilson where Barbara explains that the gunbarrel isnt always at the end now and that it will 'vary' from film to film depending on where it fits.

I can't help but think that if it were true, he would've found a way to make it fit at the start, to the extent of designing the PTS around the gunbarrel, rather than having it stuck on as an afterthought. As far as I'm concerned, the fact of the gunbarrel and its placement at the very beginning of the film are essential elements of the franchise that should never be messed with. The PTS should be made to fit around the gunbarrel, not the other way around.
    scottmu65 wrote:
    I am one of the few who yearns for it to be back at the start, it has no reason to be at the end, after 3 bloody films they still feel the need to try and 'explain' the gunbarrel sequence to us:

CR - Origin story where Bond becomes Bond
    QoS - Because Bond becomes REAL Bond at the end of this one
    SkyFall - Because Bond didn't really become Bond in CR or QoS, Bond in fact becomes Bond in this one, hones he does! Pinky promise!

Firstly, you're not one of the few, but rather one of many, and secondly ... well put -{

I'm tired of hearing that maybe it'll be back at the start for the next one, and that it won't always be at the end. It should never have been anywhere but the start in the first place!
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"