Db5 Aston Martin replica project 2013

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Hart008 wrote:

Not sure what he's driving but as it's lefthand drive it almost certainly isn't the SF car!

CR car perhaps?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • NouniardNouniard U.S.Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    Likely just a German LHD DB5 that was acquired or requested for the event.
  • ZundappZundapp Posts: 139MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Zundapp wrote:
    Well he is printing the car in small sections
    And putt it together.like the door is made from
    40 pices and glued.
    I did point out the direction of Mr hugh R.
    To another forum member and I think he got
    Tired off it and made another article in C.M.
    So I'm sorry. I will not share somebody elses work.

Sorry but that'll look total ****.

40 pieces in just one door? Hope he gets all those joints sanded smooth cos if the light catches that silver paint in the wrong way it ain't half gonna look like an unanswered crossword!
    Well some explaining is needed i understand, for some people :D . The thing bering printed will
    Be the plug!!! Right. Then you make a mould.... From the mould you make a body shell....
    The body shell you putt on your car and paint it... Voila .... You have a replica car.

Martin.
    edited June 2013
    Zundapp wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Zundapp wrote:
    Well he is printing the car in small sections
    And putt it together.like the door is made from
    40 pices and glued.
    I did point out the direction of Mr hugh R.
    To another forum member and I think he got
    Tired off it and made another article in C.M.
    So I'm sorry. I will not share somebody elses work.

Sorry but that'll look total ****.

40 pieces in just one door? Hope he gets all those joints sanded smooth cos if the light catches that silver paint in the wrong way it ain't half gonna look like an unanswered crossword!
    Well some explaining is needed i understand, for some people :D . The thing bering printed will
    Be the plug!!! Right. Then you make a mould.... From the mould you make a body shell....
    The body shell you putt on your car and paint it... Voila .... You have a replica car.

Martin.

Yeah, just to explain a little further;

The key with any pattern making (because that's what a plug is, a pattern) is that the pattern has to be perfect in every way. That doesn't mean that it's got to look right, that means it has to look right, be finished correctly and even some would paint it or polish it to check the lines are clean and the surface of the pattern is free from defects, dents and scratches.

Have you seen the video clips of the panel inspectors at Aston Martin drawing on cars with blue chinagraph pencil, circles to show the panel beaters where the imperfections are? That's what top quality finishing looks like.

Now when making a plug, you don't have to (hell it's your car) but it'd be wise to get as good a finish on it as possible so that you don't have any faults to fix in your castings.

So when you say that the door alone has 40 different pieces in it, that means (assuming each piece is like a brick) that there's around 120 seams between each block that needs filling and smoothing over. Bear also in mind that because filler has a different density to the ABS plastic that the blocks are printed from, so the middle of each block will be a dent if the ABS is softer, or the middle will be a rise if the ABS is denser, due to the sanding rates of the different materials.

If you don't prepare this brickwork like plug perfectly, all those dents and seams will come out in your castings of the bodywork. This either means a lot more filling and sanding on your casts or putting up with wavy lines all over the car.

The next hurdle is your choice of colour. As this is a replica DB5 and you're a bond fan, I'll assume you'll paint the car silver. Now the trouble with silver is that it's notorious for showing imperfections, because silver reflects the light more.

So factor in that your plug is made of bricks, which need sanding and the car will be silver, the more bricks used equal the more chance of any imperfections being made. When the light catches that paintwork, you want one smooth flowing reflection all the way down the length of the car, like a flat piece of water.

Your brickwork plug derived fibreglass will look more like the surface of the moon.

So just to reiterate my original point;

Your brickwork 3D printed plug will look ****.

3D printing is not simply 'click print' stuff. The 3D files involved need to be properly drawn up, and even then only the more expensive machines will produce good enough quality prints to be used in pattern making.

So it's not a simple matter of 'click print, stick together, take mould, cast panels, mount on car and paint', it's more like 'prepare files, print bricks, assemble, fill, sand, prime, sand, fill, prime, sand, polish, wax, take mould, cast parts, mount to car, finish, prime, sand, prime, paint, lacquer, polish.'

Hope that points a few things out to you, Martin.

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Well first of all,it's not me building it.(mentioned erlier)
    And thank's for the Well done explonation.
    We'll see. I'm buying it when he's finished.
    image.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Zundapp wrote:
    Well first of all,it's not me building it.(mentioned erlier)
    And thank's for the Well done explonation.
    We'll see. I'm buying it when he's finished.
    9579ED5A-3DCE-4043-8D20-BFF7EE79EFDC-45072-00000D22C2A7610F_zps807848d9.jpg

Hope your purchase goes smoother than that bonnet then :))

Are you sure it's a DB5 though, and not a DB4?

Aston-Martin-DB5-Eon.jpg

astonmartin_db4_3.jpg

To quote Le Chiffre; "oops" :p
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I'm sure it is a db4 :)) ,idon't mind a db4.but we'll see about that in the future.
    Could perhaps be reshaped as a db5.

Martin.
    Zundapp wrote:
    I'm sure it is a db4 :)) ,idon't mind a db4.but we'll see about that in the future.

Martin.

Well I think that a reshape could be a fix, but the lines of the db4, while similar to the db5, are in fact quite different. I dunno if trying to bland a db5 out of a db4 would work tbh.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Zundapp wrote:

Martin.

Well I think that a reshape could be a fix, but the lines of the db4, while similar to the db5, are in fact quite different. I dunno if trying to bland a db5 out of a db4 would work tbh.
    I don't mind solve that problem when the plug is in my garage , (if ever)
    If i drive fast enough people might not notice the difference :D

Martin
    Zundapp wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Zundapp wrote:

Martin.

I don't mind solve that problem when the plug is in my garage , (if ever)
    If i drive fast enough people might not notice the difference :D

Martin

car-photo-funny-wood-body-kit-homemade-diy.jpg
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Nice car you've got ther minigeff.
    How much£? :) or you could convert it into a submarine.

Martin
    Now i see, you made your dbr1 plans to reallity.
    Sorry pal ... Looks nothing like it. ;)
  • bondmobilebondmobile Posts: 92MI6 Agent
    I hope you have a chance to modify that hood scoop - it looks pretty awful, and nothing like either the DB4 or the DB5 - about 2-3x the correct height. I don't have high hopes for the compound curves of the front wings or doors if the hood is that far off!

--Brian
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    The more I read, the more I imagine one of those clown cars that will fall apart. I don't even drive! :#
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    There seems to be a lot of members knocking this project
    yes it will probably look ****, yes it will probably fall to bits
    and yes the body work will have more bumps than a leprosy victims arse
    but at least he is trying, give a go mate,and if it don't work ,you can always try again,
    I for one am cheering you on .I customised my first car in the late 70s
    (a Ford Cortina 1600 GT) it had front and rear spoilers alloy wheels ect ect
    a foot wide white stripe going over the bonnet /roof./boot sounds familiar
    now they all laughed back then ,but apart from the huge stripe ,that's all standard equipment now :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Don't get me wrong guys, I would love to see anyone succeed in what they're doing, and making your own car from scratch is no easy task, so if anyone manages to do it, I take my hat off (something which would require surgery).

The gripe I have though is how easy some make it sound. I'm not trying to pi$$ on anyone's parade, and I'm not here to put people off doing their own thing. What I am trying to do us offer my opinion and advice so no-one gets mislead. Imagine for a second Martin is being told "yeah I got the wrong model of car mate, but you can easily sand that up yourself, oh and don't worry about all them joints in the blocks, the paint will fill them up." Now I don't know Martin, the level of his knowledge or that of his car makers. I just hope he's not getting ripped off or mislead by anyone.

Hopefully my input will be helpful and help people learn a little and assist them to make any big decisions, like 'should I try making a db5?".

I'd suggest you get the right car first :))

Hopefully Martin will achieve what he's hoping for, good luck to him and anyone else who undertakes this huge project -{

Edit; the usual trait with people who tell you that you can't do something is that they can't do it themselves. Trust me, given I had the time, money and space I'd give making a buck a good run for its money, so I don't class myself as the usual nay-sayers.

Martin, if you need and help or ideas, the door is always open.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I'd like to add - my comments stem purely from safety first, as obtuse as that may sound. I'll be amazed and impressed if the project succeeds as someone who is not mechanically minded at all. I will also be the first to say well done for tying if it doesn't -and that is not an assumption. I guess I am just not used to the concept of making a car this way. Either way, behind the wheel be safe!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Thanks geff. I know it's a hugh project , if i pull this of it will be a loooooong time project .
    I don't know if this plug will be accurate i have to see the finished bodyshell before bying the plug. Building skills ... Well idon't know . Built this for the kids.
    image.jpg
    Electric drive 24volts.
    But it's nothing compared to an aston build.
    Sorry about the car joke minigeff,thanks for your coments.
    Martin.
    I dunno what it's like in Sweden, but building your own car in the UK is not simply bash it together n slap a registration plate on it.

To get road legal, your vehicle needs to meet strict regulations and has to be tested at a proper test centre, it's not a basic MOT.

There's rules and regs about everything and anything. The height the main lights are from the road, the location and spec of seat belt mountings, if the car has a cabin you have to have a heater so you can demist the screen, the rear centre brake light needs to be within a set distance from the rear screen, brakes need to be sufficient for the car's weight and properly balanced, there's restrictions on noise from the exhaust, CO2 limits for cars made with modern donor parts, the list goes on and on. Oh and if your car fails, there's no free retest.

From what I've seen, designing and making your own car is no small job and anyone who does it has my respect.

As for having a go at making bucks etc, I'd just hate to see anyone make any expensive mistakes. My advice, research, research, research and then go ask people, call them, visit them, don't be afraid to ask any daft questions and above all, have fun with it.

Just don't go stalking anyone on google earth :))

Nice build for the kids btw!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    We have strict regulations in Sweden aswell.but the place were you control the car Evert year (don't know name in english ). Has a association (hope you understand what i mean)that control
    Homemade cars and give you advice etc. The have a book with building instructions
    Witch materials to use and welding techniques. Witch car parts to prefer
    And they will Come home to you for inspection of a frame build so you build it to regulations
    So you don't have to rebuild if Gone wrong .
    But yes it's still is a wery hard project to Pull of.
    Maby if there is a donor car with the same wheelbase and track
    You could put on the shell.

Thanks Geff the kids love it and it hasen't sunk yet. :))
    Martin.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Owing to a comment in another thread regarding a possible DB5 project, I contacted EMC and got this reply:

"Right now we are only focusing on the Spy Car, the DB5 is something that we may offer, if we do it will be only offered to the collectors that have purchased one of the Spy Cars."

So EMC may have one in the works. Since I've got to think they could sell more DB5 units than Vanquish, this is a curious marketing approach.
    Perhaps they're only going for a trusted client base for fear of 'offending' AM?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • delfloriadelfloria Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    I also heard from a source that talked directly to the owner of EMC who said the DB-5 is up next and that it will only be sold to owners of the Spycar. Yes, an odd bit of marketing but it seems they only intend to make 200 and figure they will be sold out almost immediately.

Having owned a DB-5 in the past I would much rather have one of these modern tech reproductions for daily driving. To put it bluntly my DB-5 was a pain in the $%&.
    I wonder what happend to Mr greyhound ??
    The only one Here to own a real db5 and promised us some pictures.
    Right??.
  • QbranchesQbranches Posts: 56MI6 Agent
    Hi guys I'm new here and wish to shine some light on the matter
    My father restores classic cars and seams to think Aston Martin has taken the moulds from the man making the replica since that is what they did to the famous price of rubbish called the DMS. Bullit

Although my father has worked with db5s he also knows what parts are from other cars main parts from e type and rover p5b
  • VoituerVoituer Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    I remember the bullet and there are a couple on Ebay at the minute - it was a great idea. Perhaps not to everyones taste but back in the 1980's I suppose they fitted in quite well.

Many many kit cars came out in the 1980's and I lived near a company which made a revolting Porsche 911 replica. Now I would not actually like the car it was based on, ah, the 80's ghastly!

I don't know of Aston grabbing the moulds although there was court case over this car as somebody tried to copy the Bullet and they were sued!

The Aston DB5 uses lots of parts that were used on other cars, most cars of that era did. Seperate companies made lights, door handles, seats, switches, suspension, brakes etc. etc. great companies like Girling, Dunlop, Lucas etc.
    As i used to work with old lansing forklifts i discovered that
    The used tons of Lucas parts switches,ignition keyswitch, flashlight
    Levers sames as aston.( looks the same Anyway). But that was before my
    I was bitten by the aston bug. And everything was given away since we don't
    Have those trucks anymore. :( .
    Welcome qbranches. Nice to have an expert with us Here since the only guy with a real db5
    Seems to locked him self up in his aston while restoring it :D .
    Would be nice with some details to ad to the shopping list, witch would be cheeper
    Than original ones.
    Martin.
  • QbranchesQbranches Posts: 56MI6 Agent
    Parts list
    Jaguar e type lense covers
    Rover p5 bumpers
    Rocker p5 3 litre over riders
    Jaguar heater vents
    Rover p5 front glass
    Basis of rover p5 seats could be used
    Jaguar engine and axle
    Mg rear glass
    Jag wire wheels even tho Aston wheels are cheap some times
    Mini cooper indicator
    Land rover rear lights or humber
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Nice one guys ,this is more like it, all of us rootin in the same direction
    for the common good, love it all this shared info, isn't this why we joined ?
    im sure with great technical input from our members this will be a good project :) :x
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • VoituerVoituer Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    Hmm - sorry some mistakes here and we don't want people buying the wrong parts

Jaguar e type lense covers - no these are completely different shapes, the DB5's are triplex and are unique to the car
    Rover p5 bumpers - completely different - google images will comfirm
    Rocker p5 3 litre over riders - again completely different
    Jaguar heater vents - no the Astton ones are a different size
    Rover p5 front glass - You are joking the Aston front glass is unique to the car
    Basis of rover p5 seats could be used - not really they would not fit into the car, the Aston DB5 is quite slim, the Rover seats will fit into a DBs
    Jaguar engine and axle - now I feel you are taking the pee
    Mg rear glass - yeh - absolutely its a different shape but they made up the gaps with sellotape
    Jag wire wheels even tho Aston wheels are cheap some times - completely different size although very similar
    Mini cooper indicator - different Lucas number but can be made to fit
    Land rover rear lights or humber - again different lucas numbers

OK I have been had and this list is a joke! :))

well done - maybe your dad thinks Astons are reworked Rileys -{