Bond fitness thread

Comments

• adamtyoungadamtyoung Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Wow, cool still. Where is this scene from?
    I know a few members on this site who are into weight lifting/exercising (Mantis/VinnyMac) like myself, and was curious as to who else here is into it? and we could perhaps share our routines, knowledge and progress/goals. How many of you wear your PTI jacket to the gym now? i certainly do, but not during the actual work out, its much too hot for that. And I put this in the clothing section because we buy Bond's clothes because he looks good in them and want to look as good as him.

danielcraigasjamesbondi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Believe that scene never made the final cut of Skyfall
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    VinnyMac wrote:
    Had a good workout today but had to shake my head at the "trainer" helping two young girls (I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but in Canada you can attend a weekend seminar and suddenly you're a "certified" trainer). He obviously wanted to hit on the one girl so he ingratiated himself by "correcting" her lat pulldowns - and in the process made her technique worse! Now her back exercise is a jerky, could-strain-her-shoulders bicep exercise.

I see this kind of stuff all the time, here's a small sampling of what I've seen over the years:

https://twitter.com/GymFullofFail

..nothing wrong with hitting on a hottie. It's not her lats that he was interested in -{

Under the circumstances, yes, it is wrong.

I am a certified fitness trainer and a martial arts instructor. To use my position to hit on a client during a training session would be unethical. A woman should be able to train in peace. Besides, in the situation described, the trainer sounds as if he was more focused on hitting on his client than training her, which means he was essentially robbing her of time and money. Plus, he taught bad form, which is inexcusable.

The relationship between a trainer and trainee is built on trust and respect. Consider that several of my friends and I teach Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Some of our students have been very attractive women. Few things are more physically intimate than BJJ, and it is hard enough to get a woman (or even a man, for that matter) to feel comfortable in some of the positions required without her worrying that the guy straddling her on the ground has ulterior motives.

This might be a shock for those who inhabit the juvenile wasteland known as “bro culture,” but plenty of women go to they gym to workout, get strong, and better themselves. They aren’t looking to be harassed by some horny jackass.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent
    I figure I should add my .02 in here as well.

First, is a very handy app I use called "JEFit". I know its for iOS, not sure about android. Free if you don't care about ads at the bottom.
    It has a huge catalog of diagrams to help with exercises, and allows you to add your own as well. I use it to remember the routines David has posted on The Bond Experience website. Allows me to customize, wait time, reps, sets (or connected supersets), and track my progress record each week. http://imgur.com/a/O9OTc#3

Secondly, whenever possible I add fatgripz to my exercises to work the forearms. http://www.fatgripz.com
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    VinnyMac wrote:
    Had a good workout today but had to shake my head at the "trainer" helping two young girls (I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but in Canada you can attend a weekend seminar and suddenly you're a "certified" trainer). He obviously wanted to hit on the one girl so he ingratiated himself by "correcting" her lat pulldowns - and in the process made her technique worse! Now her back exercise is a jerky, could-strain-her-shoulders bicep exercise.

I see this kind of stuff all the time, here's a small sampling of what I've seen over the years:

..nothing wrong with hitting on a hottie. It's not her lats that he was interested in -{

I am a certified fitness trainer and a martial arts instructor. To use my position to hit on a client during a training session would be unethical. A woman should be able to train in peace. Besides, in the situation described, the trainer sounds as if he was more focused on hitting on his client than training her, which means he was essentially robbing her of time and money. Plus, he taught bad form, which is inexcusable.

The relationship between a trainer and trainee is built on trust and respect. Consider that several of my friends and I teach Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Some of our students have been very attractive women. Few things are more physically intimate than BJJ, and it is hard enough to get a woman (or even a man, for that matter) to feel comfortable in some of the positions required without her worrying that the guy straddling her on the ground has ulterior motives.

This might be a shock for those who inhabit the juvenile wasteland known as “bro culture,” but plenty of women go to they gym to workout, get strong, and better themselves. They aren’t looking to be harassed by some horny jackass.

Very well said. Not that it changes things, but these two girls were not clients of the trainer. He simply wanted to talk to the one girl, and thought he'd start a conversation by going over and "correcting" her form.

At any rate, everything you say is correct. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've seen women trying to complete a workout but having some fratboy douchebag harassing her, usually by bragging about how great he is or telling her how "hot" her body is. As you say, these women are there to get a workout. Sadly, the ones who are the most serious about their workouts are the ones with the best bodies, who of course are hit on more frequently...sigh.

If you want to impress a girl at the gym, just have good etiquette, be polite and quiet, and leave her alone. Eventually she may come up to you. I've only ever dated three women from the gym, and two of them asked me out because I was the one nice guy there (and interestingly, I wasn't as good looking or in as good shape as many of the guys they turned down - there's a good lesson there!). I'll admit to starting the conversation with the third, but only after two months of us continually string at each other and her then starting to wave at me and smile every time I came in.

Of course, guys could also make the choice to just use the gym to...oh, I don't know...WORK OUT? ;-)
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    VinnyMac wrote:

Very well said. Not that it changes things, but these two girls were not clients of the trainer. He simply wanted to talk to the one girl, and thought he'd start a conversation by going over and "correcting" her form.

At any rate, everything you say is correct. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've seen women trying to complete a workout but having some fratboy douchebag harassing her, usually by bragging about how great he is or telling her how "hot" her body is. As you say, these women are there to get a workout. Sadly, the ones who are the most serious about their workouts are the ones with the best bodies, who of course are hit on more frequently...sigh.

If you want to impress a girl at the gym, just have good etiquette, be polite and quiet, and leave her alone. Eventually she may come up to you. I've only ever dated three women from the gym, and two of them asked me out because I was the one nice guy there (and interestingly, I wasn't as good looking or in as good shape as many of the guys they turned down - there's a good lesson there!). I'll admit to starting the conversation with the third, but only after two months of us continually string at each other and her then starting to wave at me and smile every time I came in.

Of course, guys could also make the choice to just use the gym to...oh, I don't know...WORK OUT? ;-)
    you mean the gym is for working out and not for hitting on girls? Didn't know that....
  • VinnyMacVinnyMac Posts: 246MI6 Agent
    VinnyMac wrote:

Someone needs to read the Bond thread about joking and remove the martial artist stick of choice from his derriere -{
  • Chrisy27Chrisy27 Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    I do yes, but I wanted to keep on training for a while longer so the pictures will be really striking!

:)
    Chrisy27 wrote:
    I don't have a set regime of what I do, but loosely this is what I do every week:

6 gym sessions of 90 minutes in duration, normally consists of:

3 x per week circuits for 30 mins (normally do 6 sets of: 10 pushups, 10 situps, 20 step-ups, 10 dips, 10 bicep presses (12kg), 10 squats and 3 laps of the studio with 6 sprints.

I usually do all body areas via the weights randomly through the week, with a mixture of free-weights and machines. I'm benching 50kg at the moment, started 2012 at a mere 20kg.

Always try to achieve at least 45 minutes to 1 hour of cardio (either 45 minutes of the xtrainer or less with time on the running machine.)

I like to start all my sessions with a quick 2 or 3k on the treadmill with few stops and plenty of sprints.

I also dance twice a week (mostly latin), do yoga for 45 mins every other week and try (when I have a partner) to box.

Every other month I try where possible (as it's winter here) to do a competitive 5 or 10k. I'm doing a cross-country 5k next month.

I vary everything I do every week as the body quickly gets used to regular gym patterns.

My iPod is constantly playing Bond soundtracks :))

Supplements wise I take only milk protein shakes, usually one a day sipping during gym sessions and then the balance on completion. Sometimes I have the odd protein bar.

Diet wise I eat mostly white meat, fish, limit red meat, vegetables, wholemeal carbs and fruit. Other than the shakes I limit dairy and cut-out white carbs altogether. I have no carbs after 4pm whatsoever.

I don't smoke, drink or take drugs.

I also aim to not drink anything with calories or anything labelled 'diet' that might contain aspartame, such as diet coke etc. I mostly have diluted fruit squash, tea (green and black, sometimes with a dash of milk), vitamin water and basic mineral or tap water.

I feel that although I have a bit of fat mass to loose around my abs area that I am kinda always just half a step ahead of DC as accordingly he smokes and drinks!

I know it sounds a lot but I am on a mission and whenever I set myself goals I always stick to them, this is from the guy that in 2010 tipped the scales at over 300lbs with no muscle mass whatsoever!
    Do you have any before/after pics that you would be willing to share?
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    VinnyMac wrote:
    Someone needs to read the Bond thread about joking and remove the martial artist stick of choice from his derriere -{

Is there really any need for you to write stuff like this, especially as the poster had raised a very good point?? 8-)
    edited February 2013
    Stupid question I know however, when bench pressing etc and logging the weights do you include the weight of the bar?

e.g the bar in my gym is 20KG on its own.

I bench 30kg on each side - 60kg total

Hence is it correct to say I bench 60 or 80?

I have been doing weights in the gym for years and always include the weight bar but also know people who don't
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Stupid question I know however, when bench pressing etc and logging the weights do you include the weight of the bar?

I have been doing weights in the gym for years and always include the weight bar but also know people who don't

i always inc the bar, because the weights do not inc the bar,, ie 20kilo plate is 20 kilo. not 30 to inc half the bar,,

i and other people i know, use the bar alone for warm up, because it is 20 kilo,,
    welshboy78 wrote:

Yes mate, always include the bar in your lift weight ... after all you're pressing the bar too as well as the plates!
  • Chrisy27Chrisy27 Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    I always include the bar too
    welshboy78 wrote:

In the past I never included the weight of the bar. But that was because it was faster for me to calculate the weight that we would need to put on the bar - i.e. 140 lb bench press meant we'd need to put a 45 and 25 pound plate on each size. Maybe it's because I'm so bad at maths, but I found that easier. Also, the weight was for my own reference so I could gauge performance, not to be able to tell others how much weight I could move. So whether the weight was 45 pounds heavier (the weight of an Olympic bar) was immaterial to me. Performance and looks seemed more impressive to me than telling people I could lift a higher number.

However, I have changed over to including the total weight. This is so I can better compare different exercises when changing between equipment. You'll never lift the same amount of weight in different movements (i.e. barbell bench press, dumbbell press, and machine chest press) because of changes to body position (and therefore activation of certain muscles) but at least there's a bit of a common frame of reference.

So it's personal preference, really. Someone I used to train with many years ago (who never counted the weight of the bars) said to me that to get into better shape you have to pump your muscles, not your ego. One of the worst fitness trends I've seen in the last couple of years is what I call the "hardcore brag" trend - people bragging about how hardcore they are, whether in conversation, on Facebook posts, or tee shirts ("Your workout is my warmup!"). I think it's a natural evolution of Crossfit, where the focus is on more, more, more! More weight, more total reps, more reps per minute. So Crosfitters do ANYTHING to get those numbers up and technique goes out the window (which is why injuries are so common). Yet look at Schwartzenegger. He had the biggest arms in the history of bodybuilding in the 70s, yet he would do some bicep exercises with dumbbells that were only 20 pounds. Not to oversimplify, but excellent technique with lower weights will always give you better results than poor technique with heavier weights.
    edited February 2013
    welshboy78 wrote:

In the past I never included the weight of the bar. But that was because it was faster for me to calculate the weight that we would need to put on the bar - i.e. 140 lb bench press meant we'd need to put a 45 and 25 pound plate on each size. Maybe it's because I'm so bad at maths, but I found that easier. Also, the weight was for my own reference so I could gauge performance, not to be able to tell others how much weight I could move. So whether the weight was 45 pounds heavier (the weight of an Olympic bar) was immaterial to me. Performance and looks seemed more impressive to me than telling people I could lift a higher number.

However, I have changed over to including the total weight. This is so I can better compare different exercises when changing between equipment. You'll never lift the same amount of weight in different movements (i.e. barbell bench press, dumbbell press, and machine chest press) because of changes to body position (and therefore activation of certain muscles) but at least there's a bit of a common frame of reference.

So it's personal preference, really. Someone I used to train with many years ago (who never counted the weight of the bars) said to me that to get into better shape you have to pump your muscles, not your ego. One of the worst fitness trends I've seen in the last couple of years is what I call the "hardcore brag" trend - people bragging about how hardcore they are, whether in conversation, on Facebook posts, or tee shirts ("Your workout is my warmup!"). I think it's a natural evolution of Crossfit, where the focus is on more, more, more! More weight, more total reps, more reps per minute. So Crosfitters do ANYTHING to get those numbers up and technique goes out the window (which is why injuries are so common). Yet look at Schwartzenegger. He had the biggest arms in the history of bodybuilding in the 70s, yet he would do some bicep exercises with dumbbells that were only 20 pounds. Not to oversimplify, but excellent technique with lower weights will always give you better results than poor technique with heavier weights.

Yup - this was my way of thinking, it does not matter too much as at the day an increase is an increase etc however does make sense to include bar hence I always have since it is the real weight shifted etc. A few of the guys at the gym just count the plates etc hence why I asked.

Yes there can be some silly competitiveness in the gyms, one of the kids (skinny as hell) does dumbell curls with 24kg dumbells and it makes me wince watching him rock his back and forth, one day I feel he will snap in half - he prob needs to reduce by 50% for correct form.

I learnt the hard way many many years ago when I was 18ish and starting out, did squats and my lower back gave, in fact it has been weak since and I rarely do them anymore due to fear !
  • PolynikesPolynikes U.k.Posts: 276MI6 Agent
    Yes! Squats a tremendous excercise for getting stronger but also tremendously easy to injure yourself without perfect form. Being tall and nearly 40 I settle for vertical leg press and deadlifts inside a trap bar. Perhaps less effective but much safer!
    "I'm motivated by my duty"

1.SF 2.CR 3.OHMSS 4.DN 5.YOLT
    Polynikes wrote:
    Yes! Squats a tremendous excercise for getting stronger but also tremendously easy to injure yourself without perfect form. Being tall and nearly 40 I settle for vertical leg press and deadlifts inside a trap bar. Perhaps less
    effective but much safer!

Safety first is a wise move for sure!

I try to get squats in my routine at least once a week ... stopped piling on the weight plates these days and am concentrating more on tempo / range & time under tension. All too often you see some people performing what are effectively 'knee bends' rather than squats, with them locking out at the top of the movement. Rather their knees than mine.

IMO the best routines incorporate a mix of the big compounds in the workout, i.e. bench press, deadlifts, squats / leg press / lunges, Military Press, Pull ups / rowing type motion & possibly dips. They beat you up, but they really help with progress.

Never been a fan of direct bicep work (am lucky to have fairly decent arms already), but one of the observations made above probably take place in near enough every gym in the country. Watching guys sway & swing up a far too heavy weight is fairly awkward to watch, as the only muscles that aren't being worked are those that the exercise is designed for!
    Ens007 wrote:
    VinnyMac wrote:

Is there really any need for you to write stuff like this, especially as the poster had raised a very good point?? 8-)

...sorry. I didn't like how he delivered that response.
    Off to the gym in a few working shoulders, what are you guys doing today?
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent

Resting! Had a bit of a crazy one yesterday and am now walking like John Wayne. :#

Only had three hours sleep so nothing today; will work on cardio tomorrow by pushing the weighted sled around the gym.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Been under the weather last two days so no workout and I am feeling a lack of physical exercise...what do you guys do when you are sick?
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Been under the weather last two days so no workout and I am feeling a lack of physical exercise...what do you guys do when you are sick?

i do nothing gym wise.. if your ill your wasting your time going,,, you,ll achive nothing, and walk away angry,,
    edited March 2013
    The Mantis wrote:
    Unless your physically sick, you might possibly be "over-exercising" and just need a few days for your body to recover, it happens to me every once in awhile. I use to have only 1 rest day but now i have between 2-3 and i have been making alot better gains and my body doesn't feel worn out as often as it did. I believe DC worked out everyday for SF with only one day off if that, and you can tell how the constant exercise made his face look extremely haggered throughout alot of the film (whether that was intentional or not) as opposed to Dragon Tattoo where he didn't workout and looked better facially and quite a bit younger. Long story short, taking a few days off from the gym can be extremely beneficial.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Physical exercise takes a toll on your CNS, so it's very wise to rest when you're feeling under the weather. Get your immune system back up & then hit it hard again. I'd certainly recommend taking a good multi-vitamin & also a good form of vitamin C post workout.

I weight train every other day. Find it allows my body to repair & recover so that you can smash the next session. Do a form of direct HIT cardio once per week & that's it for me. Couldn't train to any decent level of intensity or effectiveness if I hit the gym every day.

Have a search on YouTube for a guy called Mike Mentzer. Old school bodybuilder who shaped HIT weight training. He advocated only training once every 7 days due to the nature of his style of workouts. Bit of an eye opener it has to be said & his intensity of training may not be for everyone.
    The Mantis wrote:

It depends on how sick I am. If I really can't go, then I just take the day off. There's no harm done in missing a day (or two).
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    I have a question about Bond's outfit in this scene from the teaser trailer. What do you think - what shoes is he wearing here? They don't look like Gazelles because they have a black heal I think (or maybe it's just a shadow), but he has a blue sweater without any MI6 logo on it and black track pants without drawstrings, right? I'm asking because I want to buy good running shoes for me, if there's no chance to track down these here I will go with NikeID or something... Has someone tried to ask Jany about this outfit?
    MrZareba wrote:
    I have a question about Bond's outfit in this scene from the teaser trailer. What do you think - what shoes is he wearing here? They don't look like Gazelles because they have a black heal I think (or maybe it's just a shadow), but he has a blue sweater without any MI6 logo on it and black track pants without drawstrings, right? I'm asking because I want to buy good running shoes for me, if there's no chance to track down these here I will go with NikeID or something... Has someone tried to ask Jany about this outfit?

There is a better thread about this.

He is def wearing Gazelle IIs. There is a on set pic that is clear and watching the blu ray last night, his are identical to mine!
    Im also feeling under the weather and have a cold :(

Was looking forward to heavy sessions in the gym this weekend but will avoid as rather pointless! :#