Bond fitness thread

Comments

• MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    MrZareba wrote:
    I have a question about Bond's outfit in this scene from the teaser trailer. What do you think - what shoes is he wearing here? They don't look like Gazelles because they have a black heal I think (or maybe it's just a shadow), but he has a blue sweater without any MI6 logo on it and black track pants without drawstrings, right? I'm asking because I want to buy good running shoes for me, if there's no chance to track down these here I will go with NikeID or something... Has someone tried to ask Jany about this outfit?

There is a better thread about this.

He is def wearing Gazelle IIs. There is a on set pic that is clear and watching the blu ray last night, his are identical to mine!

Show me that picture, I haven't seen a picture from that scene when he's running somewhere in London O.o... The shoes look black to me, so I don't think they're Gazelles.
    I guess the only way to make it possible is to ask Jany Temine, I don't have any contact like email to her ;/ Anyone? I don't want to buy some good running shoes if there is a chance to track down which ones Bond is wearing...
  • PolynikesPolynikes U.k.Posts: 276MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    I guess the only way to make it possible is to ask Jany Temine, I don't have any contact like email to her ;/ Anyone? I don't want to buy some good running shoes if there is a chance to track down which ones Bond is wearing...

If you plan running in them I'd advise going to a shop that puts you on a treadmill and looks at your running style before recommending shoes. I learnt the hard way that the wrong type of shoe can cause serious injury. It's the one piece of clothing where I really wouldn't be too bothered about wearing the same as bond!..... I bet DC doesn't go running in gazelles!
    "I'm motivated by my duty"

1.SF 2.CR 3.OHMSS 4.DN 5.YOLT
    Polynikes wrote:
    MrZareba wrote:

If you plan running in them I'd advise going to a shop that puts you on a treadmill and looks at your running style before recommending shoes. I learnt the hard way that the wrong type of shoe can cause serious injury. It's the one piece of clothing where I really wouldn't be too bothered about wearing the same as bond!..... I bet DC doesn't go running in gazelles!

I know, I'm an avid runner, I know my style, I wanted to buy customized Nikes from NikeID... I don't think these are Gazelles in that scene anyway. The thing is I can always have both of these in the future. Anyway, I'm just curious and I want to know, and not me only I think.
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Been under the weather last two days so no workout and I am feeling a lack of physical exercise...what do you guys do when you are sick?

It depends on what kind of sickness you have. Sore throat or cold, you can still work out. Flu, don't work out. The rule of thumb is to use your collarbone as a guide - sickness based above that is okay, below that is bad.

One of the things that we deal with CONSTANTLY in the fitness industry is how much misinformation is out there. If you are tired or sick you can still work out. Will you do everything to the level that you normally do? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean that it isn't effective. It's the pump you get in your muscles and the raised metabolism that helps. So if you can't lift as heavy a weight as you normally do but you still get a great pump anyway (because you're working yourself to your capacity as it is that day) it's good.

So I do work out unless I'm very sick or very tired (because at that point form goes out the window and you can hurt yourself). In fact, the days that I'm tired are usually the ones where I feel the best after my workout.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Feeling amped for the gym after my usual weekend rest, doing chest today. What are you guys doing?
  • ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    ive been having a tough week and a half. I sprained my ankle the friday before last (class 2 sprain -partial tear). Swelled up to a baseball and had medium brusing. Its hard when you run 6.5 miles 5X a week for almost four years then abruptly must stop and sit on your ass all day for more than a week lol. Its finally healed so I will be hitting the pavement hopefully tonight.
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Following a new training programme set out by my mate who is a senior PT instructor & former natural bodybuilder competitor. Brutal isn't the word. Lifting less weight than usual, but the tempo and time under tension is a total killer. 4th session in and nearly chucked up in 3 of them!!! It's been good to have a reality check tbh, as my training had been going well of late. Nothing like a kick in the nuts to bring you back down to earth. :D Doesn't help when my trainer mate just smiles as I'm working through the set in various stages of agony!

Primarily worked back and legs today with some biceps work too. Chest and quads on wednesday ... let the fun begin.

@ Returningson ... really hope the injury has healed properly. Sounds a bummer. Don't let it get you down, as I'm sure there's some resistance work you can do to keep you going in the meantime if the run later proves too tough.
    thanks Ens007. Ive been following the RICE method while still taking light walks on it so as not to weaken the ankle. Everything feels fine so we will just see how it goes. The plus side is that one's body has an amazing memory and bouncing back to my full routine shouldnt be a problem.
    Cool - ease your way back in & then pull up the anchors! Best of luck.
  • VinnyMacVinnyMac Posts: 246MI6 Agent
    Feeling amped for the gym after my usual weekend rest, doing chest today. What are you guys doing?

I'm planning to work legs.
    thanks Ens007. Ive been following the RICE method while still taking light walks on it so as not to weaken the ankle. Everything feels fine so we will just see how it goes. The plus side is that one's body has an amazing memory and bouncing back to my full routine shouldnt be a problem.

Out of curiosity, why do you run so much? Is it training for races, and if so, what kind? And what kind of weight training do you do to minimize quad dominance from the running and to build ankle and knee stability?

If you aren't training for races then what is the main goal from your running? Just curious as that's a fair amount.
    well, to be blunt, its the cheapest and one of the most effective methods of conditioning the body. Its also one of the eaisest to start. I started running as a supplement to my dieting in an effort to aid my weightloss and it just evolved into a serious hobby. I do several body weight excercises (pulls up, dips, chin ups, push ups sit ups) and do regular stretching as well as buy top of the line running shoes. I think about joining a gym but those membership fees just kill me when I think that I run for free (I know, i know..im inherently cheap). Its also true that running is somewhat addictive once you get past the initial hump. Ive ran races (3, 5 and 10ks, havent done a marathon) but ive even cut back on those because the registration fees are staggeringly high ($60 is now about an average. Two of those and you've got yourself a brand new pair of shoes that do ya for 6 months lol).

Out of curiosity, why do you run so much? Is it training for races, and if so, what kind? And what kind of weight training do you do to minimize quad dominance from the running and to build ankle and knee stability?

If you aren't training for races then what is the main goal from your running? Just curious as that's a fair amount.

View Returningson's pictures on page 1 to be AMAZED.
    well, to be blunt, its the cheapest and one of the most effective methods of conditioning the body. Its also one of the eaisest to start. I started running as a supplement to my dieting in an effort to aid my weightloss and it just evolved into a serious hobby. I do several body weight excercises (pulls up, dips, chin ups, push ups sit ups) and do regular stretching as well as buy top of the line running shoes. I think about joining a gym but those membership fees just kill me when I think that I run for free (I know, i know..im inherently cheap). Its also true that running is somewhat addictive once you get past the initial hump. Ive ran races (3, 5 and 10ks, havent done a marathon) but ive even cut back on those because the registration fees are staggeringly high ($60 is now about an average. Two of those and you've got yourself a brand new pair of shoes that do ya for 6 months lol).

Ah, I see. 10K is a great distance and a great accomplishment. And there's an even greater reward waiting for you. Endorphins peak once you get past 2 hours of running so if you think it's addictive now wait until you get towards distances that take that time or longer (half marathon for a lot of people). The "runner's high" that you get goes through the roof at that point.

One of the concerns with running however is injuries. At my gym we always recommend specific types of training to compliment (not replace) the running that people do. This would be to get rid of muscle imbalances in the legs (running uses the muscles in a very unequal fashion), and to strengthen joints and tendons. Training your legs with heavy weights also helps - it increases running performance between 4 and 21% depending on which area of performance that you look at (I have the study in my office at the gym, I'll look for it so I can post a link). However, most people's legs are far stronger than they think so "heavy weights" are usually WAY heavier than anything they have access to in a home gym (being a trainer I would imagine that a lot of people think I have an inherent bias in this area). Having said this though I realize that people have different interests and priorities which is why I was asking *why* the running instead of other activities.
    Could any of you fitness experts here guesstimate my BF%? Ive been curious for awhile now, i apologize for the WAY too big pic....

jbpic.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Could any of you fitness experts here guesstimate my BF%? Ive been curious for awhile now, i apologize for the WAY too big pic....

jbpic.jpg

Bodyfat is a bit of a strange issue...not everyone carries it evenly on their body so two guys can have the same number but different levels of definition in their abs. A lot of guys at my gym are fairly obsessive about the number; to me going by looks and size is a bit better way to look at it. My *guess* based on your level of definition would be around 8-9%, but that's a *very* rough estimate.
    edited March 2013

jbpic.jpg

It's impossible to tell from a picture. I'd put you around 11-12%, but that's really just a stab in the dark. If you don't want to have it tested, you can always buy one of those electronic bf monitors for a quick, ballpark answer.
    VinnyMac wrote:

jbpic.jpg

It's impossible to tell from a picture. I'd put you around 11-12%, but that's really just a stab in the dark. If you don't want to have it tested, you can always buy one of those electronic bf monitors for a quick, ballpark answer.

The cheap electronic monitors are very inaccurate so I don't recommend them. They have a huge differential even when used on the same individual (up to 10% either way, so the number won't even be in the ballpark) so they're pretty useless. The one at my gym is an "industrial" model worth $3,000 and even that has about a 6% differential. The more that you can replicate the *exact* same conditions when measuring then the more accurate the reading - for example you wake up, go to the bathroom, don't have anything to eat or drink, go to the gym, and get measured. Hydration can greatly affect the measurements so what I just outlined is the least inaccurate way to use a BEI monitor.

Assuming that you want a low percentage of bodyfat for looks rather than health then the mirror and the measuring tape are your best friends. In terms of looks, this is roughly (VERY roughly) how it works:

Once you get to 12% or below that's where your stomach becomes flat - when you see yourself from the side you don't have any trace of a gut and you get rid of "love handles". If you've been very overweight in the past or have a history of losing weight and gaining it back (several times) then you lose more elasticity in your skin over time than the average person - so even with lower bodyfat it looks like you have love handles. This is due to slackness in the skin, not subcutaneous fat.

At 10% you start to see a little bit of muscle tone; in other words you start to see where one muscle stops and another one starts. However, this is dependent on not only the level of fat but the size of the muscles. At this point you'll sometimes see the "dent" between the rectus abdominis and the obliques. Some people may even start to see a "two pack" at the top of their stomach.

At 8% this gets you to the level where most fit people with good muscle development (and many guys think they have this even when they don't) will start to see a six pack - in other words you can see the muscles all the way down the rectus abdominis. At 6% this definition becomes very clear, however I've seen guys at 6% with NO muscle where you can't see abs at all. So as I said, this is very hard to predict as it isn't just fat but muscle as well.

Sorry for the convoluted explanation but it just goes to show how tricky it is to get an accurate reading...
    Thanks for all the replys! it probably wasnt the best pic anyway because it was soon after dinner in which i had chicken fingers and a cajun chicken sandwich :))

The cheap electronic monitors are very inaccurate so I don't recommend them. They have a huge differential even when used on the same individual (up to 10% either way, so the number won't even be in the ballpark) so they're pretty useless. The one at my gym is an "industrial" model worth $3,000 and even that has about a 6% differential. The more that you can replicate the *exact* same conditions when measuring then the more accurate the reading - for example you wake up, go to the bathroom, don't have anything to eat or drink, go to the gym, and get measured. Hydration can greatly affect the measurements so what I just outlined is the least inaccurate way to use a BEI monitor.

Assuming that you want a low percentage of bodyfat for looks rather than health then the mirror and the measuring tape are your best friends. In terms of looks, this is roughly (VERY roughly) how it works:

Once you get to 12% or below that's where your stomach becomes flat - when you see yourself from the side you don't have any trace of a gut and you get rid of "love handles". If you've been very overweight in the past or have a history of losing weight and gaining it back (several times) then you lose more elasticity in your skin over time than the average person - so even with lower bodyfat it looks like you have love handles. This is due to slackness in the skin, not subcutaneous fat.

At 10% you start to see a little bit of muscle tone; in other words you start to see where one muscle stops and another one starts. However, this is dependent on not only the level of fat but the size of the muscles. At this point you'll sometimes see the "dent" between the rectus abdominis and the obliques. Some people may even start to see a "two pack" at the top of their stomach.

At 8% this gets you to the level where most fit people with good muscle development (and many guys think they have this even when they don't) will start to see a six pack - in other words you can see the muscles all the way down the rectus abdominis. At 6% this definition becomes very clear, however I've seen guys at 6% with NO muscle where you can't see abs at all. So as I said, this is very hard to predict as it isn't just fat but muscle as well.

Sorry for the convoluted explanation but it just goes to show how tricky it is to get an accurate reading...

Everyone has opinions and preferences. Maybe you've seen a few really bad monitors, but I've seen/used electronic bf monitors that are fairly accurate across individuals. Whether they'd be considered to be "cheap" or not is an opinion too.

As far as the "12% v. 10% v. 8%" comparison goes, THAT is ballpark at best. Some people believe it, but you can find just as many compelling examples on the other side of that fence. IMO, it's too much of a simplification, even in the convoluted form -{

...just one man's opinion.
  • flash harryflash harry Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Guys if you’re interested in training how our elite regiments train then you should get yourself down to
    www.stateofmindfitness.co.uk they are based over in Hammersmith. The place is run by Barry O’Connell who is
    a Royal Marine Commando Physical Training Instructor (Class 1).

If you are after something slightly different then try Kettlebells, elite regiments around the world are integrating KB’s into their training programs. State of Mind hold a Kettlebell session every Saturday, the class is taken by Sean Hourigan who has trained with the KB greats, Pavel / Maxwell etc. He also does one on one sessions, his number is 07900 517788.

If you want to become, strong, powerful, fast and ripped and enjoy getting there then between Barry and Sean you would not go far wrong.
    After a week off due to straining my shoulder and lack of sleep (form goes out the window when you're tired) I'm back at it today. Basic workout of chest, shoulders, triceps and abs. Looking forward to the weather getting warmer so I can run up the steep escarpment near where I live for my cardio conditioning - that's the weak area for me now.

Just did a basic calculation and for my height (5'9") I would need to be around 177 pounds of lean muscle to get the "Daniel Craig look". Very rough calculation but it helps to put things in perspective...
    After a week off due to straining my shoulder and lack of sleep (form goes out the window when you're tired) I'm back at it today. Basic workout of chest, shoulders, triceps and abs. Looking forward to the weather getting warmer so I can run up the steep escarpment near where I live for my cardio conditioning - that's the weak area for me now.

Just did a basic calculation and for my height (5'9") I would need to be around 177 pounds of lean muscle to get the "Daniel Craig look". Very rough calculation but it helps to put things in perspective...
    lack of sleep kills my work outs too, not that you guys dont know this already but sleep is incredibly pivotal in muscle growth and recovery and just general health overall.
    And can any of you guys tell me whats up with DC's protruding gut in CR. it looks odd and doesn't have it in QOS or SF, im guessing its because hes bloated from bulking up?

http://screenmusings.org/CasinoRoyale/pages/CR_1140.htm
    lack of sleep kills my work outs too, not that you guys dont know this already but sleep is incredibly pivotal in muscle growth and recovery and just general health overall.

You're spot on about the importance of sleep & rest.

Try to up your magnesium intake. A lot of supplement suppliers will sell a product called ZMA which can help with sleep.

Other things such as starting the day with dark meats & working towards lighter (chicken / turkey / fish) for your evening meal is also a good idea.
    And can any of you guys tell me whats up with DC's protruding gut in CR. it looks odd and doesn't have it in QOS or SF, im guessing its because hes bloated from bulking up?

I remember noticing it in that scene, and that he didn't have it in earlier scenes:

http://screenmusings.org/CasinoRoyale/pages/CR_0375.htm

I would imagine that he was bloated when they shot the torture scene. Your stomach and digestive tract are under your abdominal muscles so if you're bloated or gassy that will push the rectus abdominis out. Perhaps he's lactose intolerant and had a reaction to some non-hydrolyzed protein supplements. But as a good trainer would know that it's more likely something from the catering truck that day ;-)

"Hey Dan, this is the last shirtless scene you have to shoot! Come on, try one of these burritos! Who cares what you look like tomorrow?"

I remember noticing it in that scene, and that he didn't have it in earlier scenes:

http://screenmusings.org/CasinoRoyale/pages/CR_0375.htm

I would imagine that he was bloated when they shot the torture scene. Your stomach and digestive tract are under your abdominal muscles so if you're bloated or gassy that will push the rectus abdominis out. Perhaps he's lactose intolerant and had a reaction to some non-hydrolyzed protein supplements. But as a good trainer would know that it's more likely something from the catering truck that day ;-)

"Hey Dan, this is the last shirtless scene you have to shoot! Come on, try one of these burritos! Who cares what you look like tomorrow?"
    :))

I noticed that, but I hadn't thought much of it. When you sit and try to flex your abs after a big drink or food, it happens.
    VinnyMac wrote:

I noticed that, but I hadn't thought much of it. When you sit and try to flex your abs after a big drink or food, it happens.
    Yeah i understand that but its odd that just his abs stick out, its especially apparent in the scene when he takes off his dress shirt in the bathroom.