Upgrade Bond's Walther?

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited October 2013
    Too big.

If you are going to use a Walther then apart from the PPK, there are only two models that are suited to deep concealed carry. The P99c and the PPS....

PPSSUPP_zpsf7649990.jpg
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • paulpaul Posts: 33MI6 Agent
    i agree but i think it can only be the pps, i thnk p99c lacks the cool factor
    just my humble opinion
  • StrykeStryke U.S.A.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Too big.

If you are going to use a Walther then apart from the PPK, there are only two models that are suited to deep concealed carry. The P99c and the PPS....

PPSSUPP_zpsf7649990.jpg

I wasn't aware a threaded barrel was available for the PPS. Is that a mock-up or is there something I don't know? Would love to have one for mine! :D
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    I have to chuckle at the fans of the Asp baton.. I chucked mine a few months or s out in the street and picked up an old school wooden baton.. to compare the sound of an asp being whipped open to the sound f a 12 gauge being racked is hilarious.. people don't give a crap when you pull out an asp.. (racking the 12 gauge on the other hand makes people take notice.. as does an old school wooden baton).. anyhow.. Bond with an Asp would be ludicrous… as for the gun.. hope he keeps the PPK/s.. classic firearm.. you don't need fancy and new stuff.. you need accurate and reliable.. and good training… Hope the PPK/s is here to stay...
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    MFisher wrote:
    I have to chuckle at the fans of the Asp baton.. I chucked mine a few months or s out in the street and picked up an old school wooden baton.. to compare the sound of an asp being whipped open to the sound f a 12 gauge being racked is hilarious.. people don't give a crap when you pull out an asp.. (racking the 12 gauge on the other hand makes people take notice.. as does an old school wooden baton).. anyhow.. Bond with an Asp would be ludicrous… as for the gun.. hope he keeps the PPK/s.. classic firearm.. you don't need fancy and new stuff.. you need accurate and reliable.. and good training… Hope the PPK/s is here to stay...

regarding the point people don't give a crap, it depends on who you dealing with at the time ,when I was dealing with
    street yobs ,thugs, pub fights ect , yes people did give a crap , but then that is testament to the professionalism of us British police
    not having to rely on a 12 gauge , now when we did have to deal with the serious boys ie ambushing bank robbers and the such
    we did use H&K MP to press the point home who was the boss dog , but its all tools for the right job, but give me the ASP over a
    wooden truncheon any day , :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    oh boy.. here we go again… the whole we Brits are so much more professional debate.. 8-) not sure why every time firearms and police work is put out on here you guys start waving your flags… so you don't need the shotgun because you are soooo professional.. but when dealing with an armed suspect you do need an H&K.. ?? It's not like we are using our 870s on traffic stops ! :s That was the exact point I was making above.. when dealing with armed / dangerous suspects a 12 gauge drives home the gravity of the situation.. no different than your example of ambushing bank robbers… but whatever.. you guys can keep chasing thugs with a pocket whistle so you don't hurt their feelings.. :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    MFisher wrote:
    oh boy.. here we go again… the whole we Brits are so much more professional debate.. 8-) not sure why every time firearms and police work is put out on here you guys start waving your flags… so you don't need the shotgun because you are soooo professional.. but when dealing with an armed suspect you do need an H&K.. ?? It's not like we are using our 870s on traffic stops ! :s That was the exact point I was making above.. when dealing with armed / dangerous suspects a 12 gauge drives home the gravity of the :)) situation.. no different than your example of ambushing bank robbers… but whatever.. you guys can keep chasing thugs with a pocket whistle so you don't hurt their feelings.. :))

thanks for the reply , im sure each agency has its own way of dealing with situations, yep and your quite correct , about hurting
    their feelings, if I hit any one with my ASP ,I would have to hand it in ,so it could be used as evidence to prosecute me DOH, 8-)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I think there is simply this massive misconception about police in the states.. that we just run around beating the crap out of people.. and it is so far off the mark with the agency where I work.. I have been there almost 13 years now.. worked patrol in the projects, worked in a narcotics unit for 3 years, worked on the auto theft task force, and taught law at our police academy.. once I made Sgt I went back to the field as a patrol supervisor.. in all of that time I have been involved in well over 2,000 arrests.. never once beat a suspect with a baton.. never fired a round.. never been charged internally with abusive force.. when I taught law, in particular law regarding use of force, I always preached to the new trainees that the most essential skill they will ever develop as an officer is the ability to effectively communicate with people on the street.. Can't tell you how many people I have simply talked into cuffs who later thanked me.. thanked me for the way they were treated… I guess my point is, you can find effective professional officers in any country.. and you can find bullies in a uniform in any country as well… in the end.. (back to the original topic!) I just hope Bond doesn't get an Asp :)) kills the concept of him having 00 status… Bond using methods on the low end of the use of force continuum to take down the bad guys kinda turns the character bland.. I don't want to see him get all touchy feelie and worry about damaging the bad guys.. He is supposed to be a blunt instrument.. His trail of bodies is what we expect… Plus the small compact design of the Walther PPK/s just (in my opinion) speaks to the lethality of the character… He doesn't need some huge automatic.. He has a small lethal tool with which he is effectively deadly.. I like the original elements of the character still serving as pillars to the continuing story lines..
    He doesn't use a Walther PPK/S, as in the specific factory model we know. It's a regular Walther PPK with a signature grip, the S was meant to be a Signature designation. After he lost it in the komodo pit he went back to using a regular PPK. He won't use it again as it was just a gadget for Skyfall. And a pretty silly one at that.
    Why does Q hand it to him and say it is a Walther PPK/s… he explains the micro dermal techno stuff.. but clearly calls it a PPK/s ?
    It was supposed to be S as in Signature, it wasn't actually known by the scriptwriters there was an actual PPK/S model as it is pretty much unknown outside of the US. The gun used on screen was a PPK with modified grip. You can trust me on this, it's one prop I happen to be very familiar with as well as its history. I'm sure Donk will be along soon to confirm what I said and to assure you I'm not blowing smoke up your bottom.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Ah,  blowing smoke up your bottom. I love those old party games :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Ah,  blowing smoke up your bottom. I love those old party games :))

No good can come of hanging out with Bondtoys.
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    Here is a possibility,which will introduced in January at the SHOT Show, which certainly would look the part onscreem:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

Fleming did like the sound of "Remington"; he had Bond in CR talk about assasinating a Japanese code expert with a "Remington
    thirty thirty"(which didn't exist BTW) and Quarrel apropriated a "U.S. Army Remington Carbine,,300", which IIRC, Remington
    didn't make either. They did make the Model 51 in .380,and .32 up into the 20's; this new gun is somewhat based on the earlier model,which was a classic.

Regards,

Tecolote
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Tecolote wrote:
    Here is a possibility,which will introduced in January at the SHOT Show, which certainly would look the part onscreem:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

Fleming did like the sound of "Remington"; he had Bond in CR talk about assasinating a Japanese code expert with a "Remington
    thirty thirty"(which didn't exist BTW) and Quarrel apropriated a "U.S. Army Remington Carbine,,300", which IIRC, Remington
    didn't make either. They did make the Model 51 in .380,and .32 up into the 20's; this new gun is somewhat based on the earlier model,which was a classic.

Regards,

Tecolote

Reminton 30-30 certainly does exist ,lever action rifle that was very popular in the States at that time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imctBSjVZIU
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    I don't know why that video is so titled, as the shooter refers to it as a "Winchester 30-30", but it is actually a Marlin 336.Believe me there are a lot of gun owners who know absolutely doodly-squat about their own guns; why they like to prove it on Youtube is beyond me. You are absolutely correct that .30-30 rifles of both makes were, and still are, popular in the States
    Remington
    did make rifles chambered for the Remington .30, such as the semiautomatic Model 8, popular in the Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde
    days, but if they ever chambered one of their rifles for their main competitor's propriatary cartridge,or made a lever action I sure have never heard of it.
    Fleming was very casual, to put it mildy, in his description of firearms. He never mentioned one of the chief selling points of the PPK which is its double action trigger, and he was flat out wrong in his description of the Berns-Martin holster. It does say a lot about his great skill as a writer that there was so much interest in things like his choices in weaponry...

Regards,

Tecolote
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Fleming's experience with Remington's was mostly with the typewriter.

He did the best he could, but while he was mildly interested in firearms, IF was no gun nut. As he said many times, introducing "facts" into fiction creates a lot of headaches.

The filmmakers have free license to change anything about Bond they like. It's been a long time since the novels were widely read, so it's easier to change the props about so they have more commercial appeal. Look at the "Bond watch", no longer an unidentified Rolex, but an Omega. Eventually the Walther will go ... to the highest bidder. When someone wants to spend hard cash with EON to sponsor the latest "wunderpistol", there will be an "upgrade" to Bond's Walther.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    MFisher wrote:
    ... I just hope Bond doesn't get an Asp :)) kills the concept of him having 00 status… Bond using methods on the low end of the use of force continuum to take down the bad guys kinda turns the character bland.. ....He has a small lethal tool with which he is effectively deadly.. I like the original elements of the character still serving as pillars to the continuing story lines..

Well said! Also, Fleming does note, can't remember if it's in fact as early as in CR, a villain having an "obscene" looking leather truncheon. So clearly concealable impact weapons are the domain of thugs, not heroes in Bond universe.

p.s. and I all ways thought that scatterguns were for people who can't shoot their way out of a wet paperbag :D
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • TurnkeyTurnkey Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Walther just came out with a compact 9mm called the CCP, might make a good option.
  • Cam008Cam008 Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    Keep the PPK-S as a backup weapon and have a larger pistol as his primary carry.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I have to ask: how much difference is there between 9mm/s and 9mm parabellum?
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    In layman's terms, quite a bit. Gun bores will quote ballistic figures, trajectory, ft/lbs energy and feet per second velocity - but when all is said and done anybody with any weapon knowledge would want the 9mm parabellum in their hand if they're life depended on it, or get shot by the 9mm short if there was a choice! 9mm short or .380 is however becoming extremely popular as it's cheaper, doesn't over penetrate for home defence use and can be more accurate for follow up shots on the range because of its lower recoil. I've only used 9mm short once and it was fine, but it was on a range and it really didn't matter on a paper target. You couldn't use it for metal knock down targets, but yet 9mm barely has enough power for this target discipline either. I think in terms of Bond's 7.65mm Walther, the 9mm short is always going to be a step up.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    image.jpg

On another note - just got this .357 magnum on my licence. Bond should upgrade to a proper handgun like this!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " Nice and light, in a ladies handbag " :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The CCP looks interesting, although it is bigger than the PPS in width.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    He doesn't use a Walther PPK/S, as in the specific factory model we know. It's a regular Walther PPK with a signature grip, the S was meant to be a Signature designation. After he lost it in the komodo pit he went back to using a regular PPK. He won't use it again as it was just a gadget for Skyfall. And a pretty silly one at that.

Just a hark back to the .220 rifle in LTK.

• PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The CCP looks interesting, although it is bigger than the PPS in width.

I was going to buy the PPS recently and went with the Smith ands Wesson Shield, which is a copy of the PPS. The CCP is a bit bigger but has, from what is being reported, one of the best triggers in the industry. If Walther is financially supporting EON I would not be surprised to see that or the PPQ in Bond's holster next movie.
    Walther have never paid to be in a Bond film.

The CCP does appeal apart from the manual safety. Although I do really really like the PPS, the CCP will be visually more appealing to most people over the PPS.

The PPQ is huge compared to those two. Not for Bond.
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    edited April 2014
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Walther have never paid to be in a Bond film.

The CCP does appeal apart from the manual safety. Although I do really really like the PPS, the CCP will be visually more appealing to most people over the PPS.

The PPQ is huge compared to those two. Not for Bond.

The guy at the gun store talked me out of the PPS. I went in looking to buy it. Something about a flaw in the design of the blackstrap...

The PPQ is similar sized as the P99 isn't it? I've always felt the P99 was too big a gun for Bond
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I think the CCP looks better than the P99. Perhaps the PPK/s should remain the concealed carry gun and CCP the combat gun? Ironic, since CCP stands for Concealed Cary Pistol ...