Upgrade Bond's Walther?

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I do love the term "conceal carry" - in my experience almost anything really handy is too big to properly conceal.... Bar the 7.65mm PPK! And everybody around here thinks that's not enough. Small J frame revolvers are ok. But then you're down to just 5 rounds of .38. And just plinking into bits of 4"x4" wood, I can't see much difference in penetration between the two. Everything I've ever tried to carry in a snug holster looks huge and bulky under a sweatshirt or jacket. From Brownings in the army to Sigs and Glocks in close protection. I've recently got a humane dispatch licence to carry a .357 magnum. I now see to farm animals/horses in RTCs and dangerous dogs for Devon and Cornwall police. It's a k frame (medium sized) 2 1/2 inch barrelled revolver. I got a nice Bianchi soft leather holster to wear high on my belt, so it's nicely "concealed" for a call out. I'm a big guy as well, but it looks like I've been shoplifting and tried to make off with a pair of trainers under my jumper! I went out with my .308 rifle the other night to help a local farmer with a fox problem, and my wife said "Why have you got your pistol?" This was "concealed" under a loose fitting Barbour jacket!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    My Virility is my only weapon ! :p :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Paperbill wrote:
    The guy at the gun store talked me out of the PPS. I went in looking to buy it. Something about a flaw in the design of the blackstrap...

Sadly you were misinformed. Probably intentionally. You're not the only one that has been told about an urban myth type fault with the PPS. This happened with a few in the first release Special Editions and has never occurred since. More commission to be earned from S&W products apparently.

The PPQ is about the same size as the P99... yeah.

Number24 wrote:
    I think the CCP looks better than the P99. Perhaps the PPK/s should remain the concealed carry gun and CCP the combat gun? Ironic, since CCP stands for Concealed Cary Pistol ...

They won't use the PPK/S again, it was a one off Q gimmick
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I guess they won't use the palm recognition gadget after Skyfall, but I don't see why the PPK/s can't be used again.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    My Virility is my only weapon ! :p :))

I hope you carry "it" concealed!
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    :)) ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I guess they won't use the palm recognition gadget after Skyfall, but I don't see why the PPK/s can't be used again.

In the Skyfall universe the PPK-S was a one off, palm reader model, the base gun was a standard PPK. Remove the micro-dermal sensor and you have a PPK.
    I believe there is a difference in calibre between the PPK and the PPK/s. Am I right?
    Number24 wrote:
    I believe there is a difference in calibre between the PPK and the PPK/s. Am I right?

No, both are to be had in 7.65 or 9mm short. Remember they never used a PPK/S in SKYFALL, the /S stood for signature. Purely a confusing coincidence there is actually a model called the PPK/S.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

No, both are to be had in 7.65 or 9mm short. Remember they never used a PPK/S in SKYFALL, the /S stood for signature. Purely a confusing coincidence there is actually a model called the PPK/S.

I beg to differ. I just saw the clip where Q hands Bond the gun. Q clearly says "Walther PPK/s 9 mm short." Just see it for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53199fAsA9k
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,270MI6 Agent
    edited April 2014
    Number24 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I beg to differ. I just saw the clip where Q hands Bond the gun. Q clearly says "Walther PPK/s 9 mm short." Just see it for yourself:

Then you would be wrong. If ASP9mm states XY or Z on the subject of small arms in general then take it as a given that what he is saying is correct. The PPK and PPKS are two very different pistols & without spoiling the art of movie magic what you are looking at on screen is a Smith & Wesson "based" PPK movie prop not a factual weapon. The Commercially available PPKS is effectively a PPK slide with a PP frame which has a higher capacity magazine than the PPK. If you look at the depth of the magazine well on a standard PPK then the depth of the magazine well on the PPKS then study screen grabs of the Skyfall PPKS you should fairly easily be able to ascertain which Walther pistol was used as the donor gun for the screen seen prop -{
    Skyfall_Gun_1.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Number24 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I'm very very familiar with this actual prop. It just says WALTHER and that is just a transfer stuck onto the resin 3d print. It's not even a real gun. But it is a 3D printed scan from a real PPK with sculpted grips and beavertail added later.
    Cheers Donk. Beat me to it. Although I did spoil the cinematic magic :D

Don't forget it was a S&W slide on a 60's German Walther PPK frame though.

I don't know where Number24 is seeing all the other slide detail that isn't present, as they didn't even use a 9mm short slide for the PPK/S scan, it was 7.65mm. Although all that detail was removed before the on screen model was made, hence the use of the Walther transfer added later.
    It may very well be that the prop they used in the movie was (based on) a standard PPK 7.65. I'm not in any way a gun expert and I have not pretended to be. But it is also clear that Q says it is a 9 mm short. the way I see it we are both right: the prop is a slightly changed 7.65, but it's ment to be/portrayed as a 9 mm short. Can we agree on that? :)
    Q does say it's a 9mm short... yes. The PPK is available in 9mm short too.

What Donk and I are trying to say, is that the gun was never meant to be the Walther model PPK/S, but a PPK with a ignature grip. That was what the S was for. It is just coincidence that there was an actual model with that designation too. It was made specifically for the UK market, so the filmakers might not have known that it existed when they named the SKYFALL Q gun a PPK/S.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Q does say it's a 9mm short... yes. The PPK is available in 9mm short too.

What Donk and I are trying to say, is that the gun was never meant to be the Walther model PPK/S, but a PPK with a ignature grip. That was what the S was for. It is just coincidence that there was an actual model with that designation too. It was made specifically for the UK market, so the filmakers might not have known that it existed when they named the SKYFALL Q gun a PPK/S.

So it was never ment to be a PPK/s, in spite of Q saying it fires 9 mm short? I find that strange.
    Very strange. My guess is that it was ment to be a PPK/s, because 9 mm short is more powerful and "modern" than 7.65 and that the S gets a double meaning (both Short and Signature). But they had plenty of prop PPKs in 7.65 lying around, so they decided to cheat and use them and just say it's 9 mm/s.
    Nothing strange about it. The PPK comes in 9mm Short and has done since early on in its production. That is what it was meant to be. Nothing to do with Walthers actual model PPK/S.

Walther's PPK/S is just a PPK with a larger frame (actually a PP frame). They did this to get around US import restrictions.

Q mentioning 9mm short means the size cartridge the pistol takes. The PPK was chambered for the 9mm short decades before the PPK/S was ever made. The PPK/S fires exactly the same rounds as a PPK.
    So the gun in Skyfall is ment to be a PPK that fires 9 mm short and the designation S is just for Signature? Fine. But my origional statment that there is no reason why he can keep the same type of gun minus the palm gadget still stands.
    Number24 wrote:
    So the gun in Skyfall is ment to be a PPK that fires 9 mm short and the designation S is just for Signature? Fine. But my origional statment that there is no reason why he can keep the same type of gun minus the palm gadget still stands.

The same gun minus the palm gadget is a PPK. So it would be a PPK minus the , so in short... a... PPK.

Number24 wrote:

You said a PPK/S (above), which is why we ended up in this conversation to correct that misunderstanding.
    Fine.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    The fact that the PPK-S in Skyfall is a hunk of plastic with CGI lights, is somehow comforting. It seems to me to lessen the chances that it will ever appear again.

I'm sure the CGI lizard appreciated the fact the Walther was a resin dummy - nothing to cause indigestion. On the other hand he probably had a hard time with Oddjob's son.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ppw3o6r wrote:

Then you would be wrong. If ASP9mm states XY or Z on the subject of small arms in general then take it as a given that what he is saying is correct.

That used to be like that with watches as well but after his recent mishaps, I'd rate Dell Deaton to be more "expert" than him 8-)

Since he's gotten heavily involved with (the abuse of) snake poison - he's mostly talking not out of his mouth/brain :D :D

Downfall of a former hero - so sad! 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    Never doubt ASP...never!!!!
  • steve gsteve g Winter Park, FLPosts: 8MI6 Agent
    While the PPK is an iconic pistol, it has very little stopping power unless you can pull off a head shot. The 9mm short is also known as .380 ACP and has much less velocity than a standard 9mm. So in theory, it's a pretty wimpy gun for an agent to carry. With that being said, the new CCP, the P99C or the PPS would all be better choices.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    steve g wrote:
    While the PPK is an iconic pistol, it has very little stopping power
    We don't want bad guys stopped; we want them dead. :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I thought it was supposed to have " a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window" :D
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    I may be wrong, but I think that Bond doesn't shoot anyone with his PPK in SPECTRE. He kicks some people out of a helicopter, chucks a man onto a table, strangles and throws a bloke off a train, shoots people in Austria and Morocco with guns he gets off other people and DOESN'T shoot Blofeld with his PPK at the end. He shoots the helicopter's engine with the PPK and that's it.

EDIT: Except I've just remembered he shoots two men in Rome before they kill Monica Bellucci. But that's it, I think.
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent
    Jellyfish wrote:
    I may be wrong, but I think that Bond doesn't shoot anyone with his PPK in SPECTRE. He kicks some people out of a helicopter, chucks a man onto a table, strangles and throws a bloke off a train, shoots people in Austria and Morocco with guns he gets off other people and DOESN'T shoot Blofeld with his PPK at the end. He shoots the helicopter's engine with the PPK and that's it.

EDIT: Except I've just remembered he shoots two men in Rome before they kill Monica Bellucci. But that's it, I think.

He also shoots the audience in the gunbarrel sequence!! :))
    "Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • om3ga_seamasterom3ga_seamaster Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    If he's not going to carry the PPK then what about the CCP?
    Too bulky. The only Walther in the running would be the PPS.