Locations

Comments

• PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I've read several reports that Norway was being considered but the producers found it too costly to shoot there, so now Norway has been replaced by Austria.

Great, because I really wanted a country that Bond has been to on multiple occassions, as opposed to a new, unique location we've never seen before 8-)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, Number24 is always complaining that his country is so
    Expensive to film in that most film company's use Iceland etc. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I've never understood why some countries actually go out of their way to have production companies not work there. Film and TV productions spend a ton of money and hire hundreds of local people for days, weeks even months. You have equipment rentals, car hire, catering, accommodation, security, skilled technicians and general labourers, to name but a few of the costs. Plus the production provides free advertising for the country/city as a travel, business or investment destination. They don't even necessarily have to offer tax-breaks to production companies (although I believe that the return on investment is great enough for a city that even when they offer a tax credit they still come out well ahead), but at the very least don't charge them massive permit fees or additional taxes.

The only downside to having someone film in your country is the occasional disruption to traffic etc, but most people will live with that when they know it's a big deal like a Bond film, X-Men, Schwarzenegger or something significant.

There really is no serious downside to encouraging film and TV production.
    Many people visit Salzburg not because of Mozart but because
    The sound of music was filmed there. :)) If Norway welcomed
    Film makers, soon Tourists would be pining for the fjords ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Or running down the curtain and joining the choir invisible!
    TP and DominoEffect, you both make excellent points! So true.

And heck, if it's that costly to film in Norway, can't they just film in Austria and CALL it Norway? That way we can at least say that Bond has been somewhere new.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Norway has lost several major TV and movie productions because of the stupid tax rules, and now we're about to loose Bond again! The producer of the Lord of the Rings did location scouting in Norway for a huge trilogy about the viking king Harald Hardråde, but I bet they can scare them off too X-( :# :( :(|) ?:) X-( :o
    Seems all those stories about filming in Ireland, with a fight
    perhaps on the giant cranes in Belfast, Like the Titanic ......
    Don't Hold water ! :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Seems all those stories about filming in Ireland, with a fight
    perhaps on the giant cranes in Belfast, Like the Titanic ......
    Don't Hold water ! :))

That's a shame TP ,I had visions of you zooming up the A1 ,trusty camera on the front passengers seat ,
    (left the misses at home) :D this is too important to take the wife and have her pester you in Belfast that she has seen a
    new pair of shoes :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    One day my wife in passing mentioned that it DameJudi Dench had been
    Filming in a local village ( for Philomena ). Startled I said why didn't you tell me ?
    Her reply " I didn't think you'd have been interested in her "
    When I pointed out she was " M" , she looked stunned adding she'd never thought
    Of that, all she thought of her in was dramas ! :)) :))
    One day my wife in passing mentioned that it DameJudi Dench had been
    Filming in a local village ( for Philomena ). Startled I said why didn't you tell me ?
    Her reply " I didn't think you'd have been interested in her "
    When I pointed out she was " M" , she looked stunned adding she'd never thought
    Of that, all she thought of her in was dramas ! :)) :))

Women eh ?
    I found this site with "Top 10 natural beauty spots around Austria". I have to admit it looks very beautiful and Bondian. We have a place like that in Norway too - it's called "the coastline". Bitter, me? Not the slightest ...... X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-( X-(
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    China has hundreds of "ghost" cities, some designed for more than a million residents. It would be interesting for a Bond villain to have his lair in an otherwise empty city. It would make for a great chase scene.

OTOH, the Chinese government might not be too thrilled to see its economic failures on the big screen.

http://gizmodo.com/welcome-to-the-worlds-largest-ghost-city-ordos-china-1541512511
    It's funny you mention Ghost cities, Top Gear ( motoring show ) went
    To Spain and drove through a couple of ghost cities, even a brand new
    Ghost airport ! :)) They looked really odd, like something from a Zombie
    Movie.
    Gala Brand, we kinda-sorta saw a villain's lair inside a ghost city with Silva's island in Skyfall. It may not quite be what you had in mind, but I'm not sure EON will want to use anything similar quite so soon.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand, we kinda-sorta saw a villain's lair inside a ghost city with Silva's island in Skyfall. It may not quite be what you had in mind, but I'm not sure EON will want to use anything similar quite so soon.

Yeah, I thought of that and maybe they won't use it for a while (or ever?). OTOH, the main distinction would be a chase through a deserted city, which of course didn't occur in SF.
    It's funny you mention Ghost cities, Top Gear ( motoring show ) went
    To Spain and drove through a couple of ghost cities, even a brand new
    Ghost airport ! :)) They looked really odd, like something from a Zombie
    Movie.
    wasn't a ghost city TP , they (the Spanish) were probably on one of their many bank holidays ,they have about 30 a year
    (and then wonder why they are almost broke )I thought when we joined the Common market/EEC we would all be equal
    it seems some of us are more equal than others 8-)
    :)) "Two legs bad, four legs good "
    I for one love our European masters, unelected, unaccountable, and at times
    Freaking unbelievable ! :))
    :)) "Two legs bad, four legs good "
    I for one love our European masters, unelected, unaccountable, and at times
    Freaking unbelievable ! :))

yes they make our Royal family seem like a cheap week-end in Margate (cost wise that is )
    and I gauranty that those same people would get rid of our RF at the drop of a hat (because they cost too much )
    and if they did ,they would all move straight into Buck house,Windsor castle ect ,bit like what happened in communist Russia ,
    +1 {[]
    There's nothing with the system, why change it. Also having a head of state
    Who's not a bloody politician, means they can influence views and opinions.
    All we need to look forward to is a future President Clegg in the palace ! :))
    +1 {[]
    There's nothing with the system, why change it. Also having a head of state
    Who's not a bloody politician, means they can influence views and opinions.
    All we need to look forward to is a future President Clegg in the palace ! :))

yes there was a exclamation in the film UNFORGIVEN by English Bob, played by the great Richard Harris,
    describing why you would shoot a president and not a Royal ,
    I'd love to see them do something on The Millau Viaduct in France. -{
    http://www.technologystudent.com/struct1/millau1.htm
    edited August 2014
    According to Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet there will be a big snowmobile action scene set in/near the Austrian village of
    Obertilliach. Austria was chosen after both the Arctic Svalbard islands and the fjords of western Norway were canceled after Norwegian politicians yet again succeded in chasing a major movie out of the country. X-( X-(

Obertilliach in Austria.
    201842.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Another view of the Austrian location.

kleinbacherhof20-obertilliach.jpg

A more objective reading of the Dagbladet article (I became a tad sarcastic in my previous post .....) is that Austria was chosen as a location because Austria has tax cuts for film productions and Norway don't. Both the Svalbard islands and the south-western coast of mainland Norway was considered earlier. The article could be read to mean that Austria will portray Norway in the movie, but this is very unclear. According to Dagbladet Sam Mendes wants to top the ski chase in OHMSS.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    According to the GF, Norway is quite expensive and her Mum told me that housing Prices are rather steep.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    edited August 2014
    No, Norway isn't quite expensive. It's VERY expensive. Sweden is a low cost country to us. Sweden provides cheep workers for us like Poles in the UK - Norwegians drive for miles to malls buildt just accross the border to buy the incredibly cheap Swedish products.
    This would be a reason to offer more cuts for international movie productions instead of none, don't you think?
    edited August 2014
    My German is weak, can anyone give us a brief translation of this?

http://www.meinbezirk.at/obertilliach/chronik/kommt-james-bond-zum-agentenshowdown-nach-obertilliach-d1051905.html

I haven't learnt any German for about 25 years, but I found this bit interesting:

"Wie lange die gesamten Dreharbeiten in Obertilliach andauern und ob der Osttiroler Ort namentlich erwähnt wird, oder ein Landschaftsdouble für eine andere Region (z.B. Norwegen) darstellen soll, ist noch nicht bekannt." :)
    Rumours say the production will build a fake village in the area and Craig will shoot there for three days in January.
    I guess there could be two reasons for this: the village is ment to be a Norwegian village, or more likely they are planning to destroy the village during the action sequence.
    edited August 2014
    There are no large lakes in the area, so my guess is that the location isn't standing in for Norway (lakes can be made to look like fjords). This is a small Alpine community (fewer than 800 inhabitants) and makes money from ski tourists during winter. While the area looks fine for ski tourists, the mountains look a bit mundane and not the spectacular peaks I was hoping for.

gl25_obertilliach_sued.jpg
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Breathtaking Scenery -{ Cant wait till I visit there with the GF :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger