Bond Book of the Month

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,564Chief of Staff
    You've got Never Send Flowers coming up next, TP, so it's not all bad news. :D -{

Oh man, we are back on that one 8-) :p

That IS a truly awful book :#
    YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    You've got Never Send Flowers coming up next, TP, so it's not all bad news. :D -{

You won't say that when you read my monograph on NSF! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Sir Miles wrote:

I bet it's more entertaining than the book is :))
    YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    ^ It could be. A lot of it is already written. It partly compares NSF with the novel YOLT which I think most influenced Gardner to write NSF.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'm looking forward to that -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Well that's Death is Forever over. :D
    Not a great story and I'm now in agreement that after Scorpius, the books do drop
    In quality. :# DIF, is a mixture of old ideas already used before. An intelligence
    Network, closed down and under threat, Bond working in a team, again and the
    Usual double agent or three :))
    Even the final showdown with the villain seems rushed, and not very satisfactory.
    Also Bond keeps falling in love ( completely, head over heels ) with the women
    Gardner sets him up with. :D I've noticed in several of his books, Bond has feelings
    He's not had since his beloved Tracy ?
    Still onward with " Never send Flowers", I can only remember bits of this one too
    ( I can Honestly say, I didn't remember any of Death is Forever ) a mad actor, a
    High tech castle, Disneyland and Bond gets a new Bird, who stays for a few Books. :D
    So good or Bad, I'll start it on Monday. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes, Gardner did have Bond constantly falling in Love :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I'm well in to Never Send Flowers and have spotted two mistakes
    well I think they're mistakes. Bond drinking tea, again ! And in driving
    to the castle ( unless I've read it wrong. ) Bond's car changes from a
    saab 9000 to a BMW for no reason ?
    So far still better than DIF. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I've always found Dragonpool's Death rather chilling.
    I'm well in to Never Send Flowers and have spotted two mistakes
    well I think they're mistakes. Bond drinking tea, again ! And in driving
    to the castle ( unless I've read it wrong. ) Bond's car changes from a
    saab 9000 to a BMW for no reason ?
    So far still better than DIF. ;)

The biggest mistake you haven't spotted was starting to read the abomination in the first place :))

Horrible, horrible book :#
    YNWA 97
    I think I can hear SM screaming :D

But not as much as I did when I was reading the damned thing :))
    YNWA 97
    I would personally reserve that for COLD :))
    Sir Miles wrote :
    " The biggest mistake you haven't spotted was starting to read the abomination in the first place :)) "

I'm enjoying it more that Death is Forever, mind you reading the corn flakes packet
    In the morning would be better than that :D
    I would personally reserve that for COLD :))

I agree, COLD is worse... X-(
    Sir Miles wrote :
    " The biggest mistake you haven't spotted was starting to read the abomination in the first place :)) "

I'm enjoying it more that Death is Forever, mind you reading the corn flakes packet
    In the morning would be better than that :D

That's another poor book...
    YNWA 97
    His GE Novelization was slightly better though.
    His GE Novelization was slightly better though.

I enjoyed that book...
    YNWA 97
    I do think it is very clear that the standard of the books fell, markedly :#
    At the moment, I'm reading these almost as a challenge to myself, as I'm
    Certainly not enjoying them. :#

Indeed. You people. :)) -{
    Never send Flowers :

Bond searches for a serial killer and goes to Euro Disney, just about sums it
    up. ;)
    Why a " 00" is sent on such a mundane mission, I don't really understand, and
    Why when they figure out it's a " silence of the lambs" type villain, it's not handed
    Over to the police. Although Bond battles through to win in the end, so no surprises
    There.
    Near the end Bond sings the praises of Disneyland ! You have to wonder how many
    Free holidays Gardner got for that bit of advertising. :))
    Basically another bit of a disappointment, but luckily only two to go, I'm starting
    Seafire tonight.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters
    I haven't read Never Send Flowers yet, it's still on my to-read list.

I found SeaFire quite enjoyable when I read it, and I know I'm not the only one. So I hope you will enjoy it more than the last few Gardners.
    Seafire was a Mission to read through :#
    Seafire was a Mission to read through :#

It seems better than what it is just because the previous two are SO awful....it's basically a rehash book...
    YNWA 97
    There are Parts of it I did like though.
    It is odd, I don't remember these last few Gardner Bond books being so bad. :#
    I must have been remembering them with my rose tinted glasses. :D
    " Bleeding heart", roses obviously ;)
    On the Flipside, he was creating new Bond Material when no Films were being made :)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,313Chief of Staff
    The worst is yet to come...
    ... Oh don't I know it. :)) still. Once done I can go back and just
    Keep reading the wonderful original Fleming books. :x This
    Journey I'm on has only strengthen my respect for those books
    and his skill as a writer. :)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Im finally on the last Fleming book woohooo and on Octopussy. (I dont read much and this has taken quite a few years) :))

Now to figure out where I go from here, sure this has been covered so will hunt some threads down!!

TMWTGG was very disappointing but expected this late in Flemings writing
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    No foray into the Benson Contributions? :v