Since Date confirmed-What type of Villain do you want?

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    delicious wrote:
    I just want to see a decent villain who is trying to take over and/or destroy the world unlike the pathetic villains of the last 2 films. Bond as hero is largely defined by the magnitude of his opponents - protagonist vs antagonist and the last 2 films have not made the grade in that regard.

Looking back to earlier films, Le Chiffre was passable as a villain because off what he could have done with the $100M had he won the poker game and Graves in DAD was a traditional Bond villain with a mad scheme for world domination. That's what I want to start seeing again.
    Le Chiffre was interesting, too, because he had more interaction with Bond that than the typical villain. It wasn't just the stakes, but we actually got to see them square off and do things to each other.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I think Viggo Mortensen could play a fantastic villan. He is a very good actor (watch "The Road", and please read the fantastic novel by Cormac McCarthy) He is also taller than Craig (who isn't? :v ) and would be credible in a fight.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think Viggo Mortensen could play a fantastic villan. He is a very good actor (watch "The Road", and please read the fantastic novel by Cormac McCarthy) He is also taller than Craig (who isn't? :v ) and would be credible in a fight.

Good choice!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Mr Mallory wrote:
    I'd like to see Bond up against an English villain instead of all the foregin
    ones.

Fleming made it a point in the novels that none of the villains were British. Even the ones who appeared to be British (Hugo Drax) really weren't.

I think the tradition of Fleming's chauvinism should be respected.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Although he did have a British villain, Goldfinger was British. ;)
    so Fleming was an equal opertunities writer. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I was just thinking about this,hmmm I said to ones self, in all the Bond films/books the main villain ie, Dr No ,Goldfinger Kananga,
    ect ect all get killed /die ,don't any of the Mr Bigs ever get to face the might of the law ,and get sent to prison ,
    or am I completely wrong again :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Wouldn't Bond be just another arm of justice ? He does have a licence to kill.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Wouldn't Bond be just another arm of justice ? He does have a licence to kill.
    yes I suppose so, as MI5/6 officers do not have the the power of arrest (ie they cant nick any one ) Bond would have to call upon the services of the local constabulary , evenin all , and get them to arrest MR big, nah that aint gonna work , so Bond has no option
    but to slot em, but thank you for your much appreciated reply :)
    I'm no expert on the police etc and never even realised that an MI5 officer etc couldn't arrest anyone.
    they never showed that on Spooks. :))
    I'm no expert on the police etc and never even realised that an MI5 officer etc couldn't arrest anyone.
    they never showed that on Spooks. :))

Yes its true, the spooks do not have the same privilege as the boys in blue ,they do not have powers of arrest,
    they do not hold warrant , where as we (past tense) did/do ie warrant card, they do carry an id badge or at least the ones we worked with did it has/had the white enamel rose on the flap ,but obviously no picture/name ,So if the spooks are on a OP, and the people,they need to get hold of ,need taking, then the relevant police dept will be on hand ,normaly the men from SB , and they will arrest, they all seem to work together anyway, Spooks are not going to trust an arrest to (in Jack Regans words )some woodentop from potters bar, But under PACE, the arrestee, will have to be taken to a lawfull place of custody ie the local factory (police station)
    and interviewed there, it has been known by unscrupulous officers not naming any names tee hee ,to take the prisoner ,bleedin miles away ie even into another county/ police district , so the poor sod has a very difficult time in getting home, :))
    Interesting stuff, would it be true( I've been told this ) That a customs officer has more power
    than any police officer and can enter your home or business without a warrant. :)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    I do wish they could come up with a vilain with a particular personality we recognise and dislike, and cast accordingly. I don't care for star casting.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Although he did have a British villain, Goldfinger was British. ;)
    so Fleming was an equal opertunities writer. :))

Surely you jest, old chap. In the book, Goldfinger is described as being from Latvia. I think that Bond sniffed out that Goldfinger wasn't really a Brit.
    I'm sure you're right Gala Brand, it's been years since I read it. Although
    I'm reading it again in January, I was sure there was a line in it about
    despite the name he's a britisher. :))
  • deliciousdelicious SydneyPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    I was just thinking about this,hmmm I said to ones self, in all the Bond films/books the main villain ie, Dr No ,Goldfinger Kananga,
    ect ect all get killed /die ,don't any of the Mr Bigs ever get to face the might of the law ,and get sent to prison ,
    or am I completely wrong again :)

Generally speaking Bond villains need to be disposed of by Bond because they are so powerful. I couldn't imagine any of them standing before a judge, being carted off to prison or even facing the death penalty - they are in a higher (lower?) order of evil. If they were dealt with by the legal system they would just use their extensive resources to buy, blackmail, manipulate or break themselves free.
  • TheNextLeiterTheNextLeiter TexasPosts: 190MI6 Agent
    Agreed. They tried with Silva, and look how that turned out. Broke out of prison and shot up a court room.
    Agreed. They tried with Silva, and look how that turned out. Broke out of prison and shot up a court room.

We also remember Sanzhes in LTK.
    So Bond teaches us villans should be shot instead of trusting the justice system :(

Perhaps Tom Hardy should play Blofeld and not Bond? A more Telly Savalas-type Blofeld. I got the idea from CmdBond.net.
    Number24 wrote:
    So Bond teaches us villans should be shot instead of trusting the justice system :(

Perhaps Tom Hardy should play Blofeld and not Bond? A more Telly Savalas-type Blofeld. I got the idea from CmdBond.net.

I see your point Number24 but that's the rules of the genre - Bond films are violent and as they are fiction we can enjoy the violence without necessarily agreeing that it is appropriate in the real world.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    delicious wrote:
    I just want to see a decent villain who is trying to take over and/or destroy the world unlike the pathetic villains of the last 2 films. Bond as hero is largely defined by the magnitude of his opponents - protagonist vs antagonist and the last 2 films have not made the grade in that regard.

Looking back to earlier films, Le Chiffre was passable as a villain because off what he could have done with the $100M had he won the poker game and Graves in DAD was a traditional Bond villain with a mad scheme for world domination. That's what I want to start seeing again.
    Le Chiffre was interesting, too, because he had more interaction with Bond that than the typical villain. It wasn't just the stakes, but we actually got to see them square off and do things to each other.

Yes Le Chiffre was excellent. But further to my original reply Bond NEEDS very powerful arch-villains to justify his license to kill and disregard for the law at times - eg the crazy car chase through Paris in VTAK. In that scene Bond believed identifying Aubergine's assassin took precedence over obeying the local traffic laws. In CR this goes a bit too far when he trashes an Embassy (earlier Bonds would have respected the inviolability of diplomatic immunity and found a less violent way around it) but in general as audience members we can revel in his freedom and power knowing that he has a great excuse for doing whatever he wants - he's stopping someone from destroying/taking over the world (usually).
    delicious wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I see your point Number24 but that's the rules of the genre - Bond films are violent and as they are fiction we can enjoy the violence without necessarily agreeing that it is appropriate in the real world.

Of cource. But it's worth noting that the few times the villan was caught in a Bond movie it turns out really badly.
    But on to more important things :)
    Please observe this picture of Blofeld (Telly Savalas)

ernst-stavro-blofeld-as-played-by-telly-savalas-7.jpg

And this picture of Blofeld (Tom Hardy)

raw_20110907_tomhardy_170107.jpg
    Are we really questioning Bond's use of extra-legal tactics in an age where the US regularly uses drones and special operations forces to eliminate terrorist suspects? I mean nobody brought Osama bin Laden (nearest thing we've had to a Bond villain in real life) back for a trial, did they?
    I was joking :v I know Bond is a fictous 00-agent and it wouldn't work if he went around arresting villans. The special operations in the real world is a complex issue. Sometimes black sites and assainaations are called for, other times they are wrong.
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    Tom hardy would be a great villain.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
    I really liked him as Baine, but to quote Number 24 do we need an old villain from
    another series. :p ;) :))
    Some members might pause when I first post that SPECTRE and Blofeld should not return, only to later post several suggestions for actors I think shoud play him. I also argued that the new Blofeld should not have the traditional Blofeld look only to later promote Tom Hardy because he looks like Telly Savalas. The explanation is simply that I usually am Per on Tuesdays and Fridays, while the Olav personalitiy dominates most of the other weekdays. My doctor says it's really very simple :)
    I thought Quantum was the new Spectre but it seems to have disappeared off the radar again. Wonder if it will turn up again n Bond 24.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I was watching the Father Brown Mysteries the other night and was struck by how the lead actor, Mark Williams, has the face of a comedic/character actor but the very cold, mean eyes of an effective villain. He's the sort who can operate in plain sight but all the while is skulking in the shadows, silent while judging and looking for his opportunity to strike. To me, that makes for a more interesting villain and one that is more in line with Fleming's take on the matter than a Tom Hardy or whatever. Letting him play a thinking man's villain with a tinge of perversity could be very interesting, assuming the script would be up to the task.
  • VoxIsMyCowboyVoxIsMyCowboy Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    I'd like them to reveal Q as the leader of Quantum.