Anthony Horowitz's Trigger Mortis (2015) Discussion Thread

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    No, it's the right book. I got it in Northern Ireland. :) -{

Strange, But lucky :)

Indeed. I think I'll read it and get a review up on the blog after it's officially released.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    No, it's the right book. I got it in Northern Ireland. I couldn't believe it when I saw they had copies out already - I think they usually keep them in the back until the release date. :) -{

Well done you, then. Because even a paperback on RELEASE DATE seems to have been unknown to just about everyone
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    No, it's the right book. I got it in Northern Ireland. I couldn't believe it when I saw they had copies out already - I think they usually keep them in the back until the release date. :) -{

Well done you, then. Because even a paperback on RELEASE DATE seems to have been unknown to just about everyone

I think these days they tend to publish the hardbacks and paperbacks together for that extra sales push. They certainly did this with the Raymond Benson Bonds which towards the end had quite small print runs and little in the way of publicity. I recall getting a paperback of Solo (in Waterstones) soon after I got the hardback in Tesco. I recall someone (I think on MI6 Community) querying that too.

Going by the ISBN number on the back (ISBN 978 1 4091 5953 7) that tallies with the "Export Trade Paperback". An E-book and Hardback edition are also mentioned. I bought the Trigger Mortis paperback for an offer price of £11.99 but its actual price is £13.99 on the back cover. It must be an advance "export" paperback edition then.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I think these days they tend to publish the hardbacks and paperbacks together for that extra sales push. They certainly did this with the Raymond Benson Bonds which towards the end had quite small print runs and little in the way of publicity. I recall getting a paperback of Solo (in Waterstones) soon after I got the hardback in Tesco.

Not entirely sure I agree on either of your initial points as no one lists a paperback publication for now, and though I confess I didn't pay much attention to the Bensons beyond getting my hardback first on publication day, it seems unlikely the paperback came out at the same time, though I'd conceed to your superior knowledge if that indeed was the case.

In fact, you may not have got a 'street' paperback. Perhaps what you've picked up accidentally is a UK proof edition. Worth £££££s
    edited September 2015
    David, please read what I've added to that post you quoted above to see the additions I made to it giving the full details of the paperback edition. Let me know what you think. :)

P.S. It's not a proof edition as it would say so and those are never sold in shops (not new anyhow). I've seen enough proofs and they all clearly state on the cover that they are in fact proofs and are strictly not for sale. I have a few proofs, one of them a signed proof of The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins.
    David, please read what I've added to that post you quoted above to see the additions I made to it giving the full details of the paperback edition. Let me know what you think. :)

I guess I'm used to very tight 'security' from IFP since DMC, and a paperback is unlisted so it all seems quite bizarre.

I don't know what the proofs showed inside them, though I'm pretty sure they were paperback

Either way, and whoever cocked up, enjoy your good fortune.

I'm just hoping I don't throw up on Tuesday!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I'm hoping that Amazon doesn't bugger up my Pre-Order.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

I had a bad experience with a pre-order on Amazon. I no longer use them and only buy new releases from bookshops.

Won't they have them in your Tesco on Tuesday?
    Most probably they will. Sadly I didn't consider that before using Amazon. I might just cancel and get it in the Shops instead.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Ordered the black Waterstones edition for "guaranteed" delivery Tuesday and Goldsboros limited ed for October.

Probably end up wishing I'd gone to the local Tesco instead, too!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I remember ordering CB from Waterstones and ended up buying it in the local
    Store, as they still hadn't delivered it to me. :D
    So this time I've ordered the E book and will pick up a copy from the local
    Waterstones or Tesco. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Many books are published in trade paperback at the same time as the hardback release but sold only in airports etc. Perhaps the book that was purchased above is one of these? I was in a number of international airports this week and looked everywhere in case there was one such beast lurking about, but alas there wasn't.
    Many books are published in trade paperback at the same time as the hardback release but sold only in airports etc. Perhaps the book that was purchased above is one of these? I was in a number of international airports this week and looked everywhere in case there was one such beast lurking about, but alas there wasn't.

Yes, and as I said above I believe that my Trigger Mortis Orion paperback was one of those.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Read a cracking review of TM in today's London Evening Standard
    Is there an online Version?
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Yes, and as I said above I believe that my Trigger Mortis Orion paperback was one of those.

Missed that SM, but yes, 'Export Trade Edition' is correct. Well done!

Missed that SM, but yes, 'Export Trade Edition' is correct. Well done!

Not to worry. I edited that post to better explain the edition I bought. :)
  • BleuvilleBleuville Posts: 384MI6 Agent

I think these days they tend to publish the hardbacks and paperbacks together for that extra sales push. They certainly did this with the Raymond Benson Bonds which towards the end had quite small print runs and little in the way of publicity. I recall getting a paperback of Solo (in Waterstones) soon after I got the hardback in Tesco. I recall someone (I think on MI6 Community) querying that too.

Going by the ISBN number on the back (ISBN 978 1 4091 5953 7) that tallies with the "Export Trade Paperback". An E-book and Hardback edition are also mentioned. I bought the Trigger Mortis paperback for an offer price of £11.99 but its actual price is £13.99 on the back cover. It must be an advance "export" paperback edition then.

For Trigger Mortis are there any other cover variations (black covers, red-edged pages) in Waterstones or independent bookshops?

I rang up Toppings in Bath (independent shop) and they say they have no news on different covers-so it may be just one version.

Bleuville.
    Picked up a copy today, standard grey cover with the rocket plans on it. -{
    So I'm very happy ( also from Eeasons)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Picked up a copy today, standard grey cover with the rocket plans on it. -{
    So I'm very happy ( also from Eeasons)

Good - I was going to suggest that to you TP as we're from the same part of the world. :) -{

In fact I'd recommend all UK members to check their local Easons if you want an early release paperback copy of Trigger Mortis. -{
    yes I was going to wait, but then couldn't
    help going for a look. ;)
    yes I was going to wait, but then couldn't
    help going for a look. ;)

Me too but I came across it quite by accident and just had to buy it! :))
    I just followed your lead. ;)
  • RevelatorRevelator Posts: 582MI6 Agent
    Read a cracking review of TM in today's London Evening Standard

Here it is:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/books/trigger-mortis-by-anthony-horowitz-and-ian-fleming-review-a2926741.html
    The reviewer, Nicholas Lezard, is a Fleming fan and wrote an introduction to the Blofeld Trilogy.

The New York Times also weighs in:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/books/review/trigger-mortis-a-james-bond-novel-by-anthony-horowitz.html

And the New Zealand Herald:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11508036
    All seem very positive. -{
    I bought a whole tranche of newspapers today for the inevitable Trigger Mortis reviews. I'm strange that way. :D
    Antony Horowitz is being interviewed on Front Row,BBC radio 4
    At 19:15. Talking about Trigger Mortis, then it should be available
    On the BBC radio player.
    I got a copy of the first edition of Trigger Mortis in Tesco today - £9.00 offer price. After that I had a look in Waterstones and they just had a table with the paperback - no sign of the hardback at all!
    But which this time is the 'true' hardback first edition - the grey covered version or the Waterstones 'black' version, which comes with the usual first edition markings but also includes 18 additional pages of Fleming's full MURDER ON WHEELS?