Anthony Horowitz's Trigger Mortis (2015) Discussion Thread

Comments

• alantongalantong Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    But which this time is the 'true' hardback first edition - the grey covered version or the Waterstones 'black' version, which comes with the usual first edition markings but also includes 18 additional pages of Fleming's full MURDER ON WHEELS?

The Grey cover version has a number line 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 (at least my copy from Amazon does)
    The Black waterstones version has 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2. To me that suggests black waterstones is first.

Just checked my uncorrected proof - that also has 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 so thats the 1st. Oddly the proof does not have the extra material at the back.

Also noticed the proof has a slightly different design under the jacket - the release date on the back cover is removed for the released version.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    alantong wrote:
    But which this time is the 'true' hardback first edition - the grey covered version or the Waterstones 'black' version, which comes with the usual first edition markings but also includes 18 additional pages of Fleming's full MURDER ON WHEELS?

The Grey cover version has a number line 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 (at least my copy from Amazon does)
    The Black waterstones version has 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2. To me that suggests black waterstones is first.

Just checked my uncorrected proof - that also has 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 so thats the 1st. Oddly the proof does not have the extra material at the back.

Also noticed the proof has a slightly different design under the jacket - the release date on the back cover is removed for the released version.

Well spotted, Alan.

The Waterstones black I have is numbered as you suggest. Not seen a grey one, but Goldsboro promised their signed and numbered grey will be a first ie - I guess - numbered as one would be, 1-10
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Oh dear, it seems I need to get the black edition too, then. I didn't see any in Waterstones but I desperately want the Fleming material added at the end. 8-)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Doesn't the Fleming material just consist of Chapter 7 'Murder on Wheels'?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think so, apparently most of the M and Bond conversation is Fleming.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The M - Bond conversation is chapter 3, not 7, Murder on Wheels.

In the Waterstones version, H confirms the Fleming stuff is as TP says but he kept the title for chapter 7.

The Waterstones Black, however, contains the full transcript of Fleming's original, unaltered, as a unique addendum.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    The special black first edition of Trigger Mortis available at Waterstones also contains the extra Fleming TV treatment for 'Murder on Wheels' as was promised some time ago.

Edit: sorry, wrote most of this before I saw David's post above there! :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Anybody finished it yet and thoughts without spoilers??

I ordered the Black Waterstones version but impatiently ordered the digital download. First few chapters seem quite Fleming in style and enjoyable (especially the intro) however I'm cautious as enjoyed the first few chapters of some of the other recent attempts!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • BraxoBraxo Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Anybody finished it yet and thoughts without spoilers??

I ordered a digital copy and spent the night reading it.

Disclaimer, I have not read any of Flemming's novels and have only read Solo as my first James Bond book, Trigger Mortis being my second.

I felt the story was well written and the action kept me in it so I didn't put it down. The description of the scenery and action was well described and allowed me to imagine them well in my head. The villain and his quirks I liked and thought made for a good Bond villain and plausible criminal plan.
    I'm about 85% through it, hope to finish it tonight. A very short
    Review would be it's very good indeed. IMHO far better than the
    Last three celeb writers. The only minor fault ( if that) is the villain's
    Scheme is fairly easy to work out, but that's being very pickey.
    I don't expect it to suddenly do downhill in the last few chapters. :)
    On a personal note, from listening to the many Bond plays on BBC radio
    4. I now hear Bond speak as Toby Stephens :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    I'm about 85% through it, hope to finish it tonight. A very short
    Review would be it's very good indeed. IMHO far better than the
    Last three celeb writers. The only minor fault ( if that) is the villain's
    Scheme is fairly easy to work out, but that's being very pickey.
    I don't expect it to suddenly do downhill in the last few chapters. :)
    On a personal note, from listening to the many Bond plays on BBC radio
    4. I now hear Bond speak as Toby Stephens :D

For me it's David Rintoul!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • BleuvilleBleuville Posts: 384MI6 Agent
    The special black first edition of Trigger Mortis available at Waterstones also contains the extra Fleming TV treatment for 'Murder on Wheels' as was promised some time ago.

Edit: sorry, wrote most of this before I saw David's post above there! :)

Yes I went around the bookshops and malls and in WHSmith the basic copy has a grey cover with orange lettering and is
    half price at £9.49. (I expect ASDA will be cheap(er)
    If you pay £14.99 at Waterstones bookshops you can get the Black cover (same design) but with the 7 typewritten pages
    by Fleming for an outline of a TV episode (never happened) of Bond motor racing at Nurburgring Germany in 1957 and stopping
    SMERSH pushing Stirling Moss' car off the track. (fiction.)
    At an independent bookshop I visited they are NOT getting signed and numbered editions like previous Bond books-just the plain version.

Bleuville. P.S.- There's also a new Jack Reacher hardback called Make Me. So that's a lot of books I bought!
    The Waterstones Black was available pre-publication for £9.49 with £4.95 guaranteed publication date delivery price to home or free to collect from one of their shops.
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    Below is a link to a short interview with Anthony Horowitz on Trigger Mortis that aired earlier today. If you click the link at the top of the page your can hear the interview.

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/09/438841436/is-007-losing-his-cool-trigger-mortis-helps-bring-bond-into-21st-century?ft=nprml&f=
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
    Finished Trigger Mortis last night and have to say I really enjoyed it. -{
    It is very much in the Fleming style, not a pastiche but an honest homage
    Horowitz is obviously a fan.
    The only minor ( very minor) annoyances. I can't see how having Pussy
    Galore involved, adds anything to the story. Infact Fleming himself wrote
    about the end of a relationship with Tiffany Case. Also the exciting action
    filled ending, reads to me at least as more of a John Gardner novel.
    These are only minor points, and don't detract from my over all enjoyment.
    I'd highly recommend it. -{
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    In the Colonies we don't get it until the 29th!! Unfair! I've ordered mine... X-(
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    You shouldn't be disappointed, it's getting good reviews and
    IMHO it's a great read. He hasn't tried to be clever, or experiment
    With some new twist on the genre. It's a good solid story with
    Some interesting characters, and lots of lovely excitement for 007. -{
    You shouldn't be disappointed
    Well, I quite liked DMC, and it seems like this one will be as good or better. I anticipate an enjoyable read!
    I didn't hate DMC, except the last third. When he had Bond escaping from Russia
    ( That's one example, of authors, playing around with the Fleming formula) liked
    the villain and his plot, it was a lot better than Solo, ( which I hated) .
    Other than both DMC and SOLO retrospectively wuzzify JB, DMC is probably the better. SOLO is fine in the UK, crap everywhere else.

Faulks should have put JB on the right plane tho, forget the non-twist, and why, oh why - other than to be REALLY PC - did Faulks have JB remark that Russia wasn't a bad place after all, he had just decided ON HIS FIRT VISIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wot, both JB and Faulks forget JB's stationing at the Embassy in Moscow, and later Vladivostok and Leningrad and "Colonel Boris"?????

Then again, Horowitz has also pulled a classic piece of IF contradiction and I'm only at Chapter 7.... :o :#
    stag wrote:
    I haven't got the book yet but am aiming to get a copy next week. Can't wait.
    Hold it- you live where it's available & you don't have it yet??
    *faints*
    stag wrote:
    Yup. I've been incommunicado for a little while & they don't sell books incommunicado! I'm off to the shops as soon as I am able.
    Say no more; I got it on the other thread. Just leave communicado asap. ;)
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    i just ordered it, and it will get here Sep 17 to Oct 10!!! Dang it.
    You could read Goldfinger while you're waiting ? To get set
    Up for it. :)
  • Catching BulletsCatching Bullets Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    CATCHING TRIGGER MORTIS AT ITS LONDON LAUNCH.

CATCHING BULLETS was fortunate enough to be able to attend the launch of the new Bond novel. Here is the report and photos...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/catching-trigger-mortis-at-its-london-launch/
    Mark O'Connell | Author, Writer, Bond Fan

facebook.com/catchingbullets
    www.markoconnell.co.uk
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Thanks for the report -{
    YNWA 97
    Yes,I too prefer the original time period. -{
    They must have forgotten about the audio book of Dr No
    read by Hugh Quarshie. ;)

Hugh.jpg
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    CATCHING TRIGGER MORTIS AT ITS LONDON LAUNCH.

CATCHING BULLETS was fortunate enough to be able to attend the launch of the new Bond novel. Here is the report and photos...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/catching-trigger-mortis-at-its-london-launch/

Thanks for posting - beginning to regret missing this!

Did anyone else attend the launch event/get a signed copy?
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    Has anyone seen sales figures? Looked on line without any luck (but that could just be!) was just wondering if we'll get a follow up? Or will be another different author?