Anthony Horowitz's Trigger Mortis (2015) Discussion Thread

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    If I was reading an Extract from my own Bond Novel, I would be too :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    I also think he might have had a glass or three before the reading ;)
    he seems very happy. :D

As long as he didn't have too much when writing it, though that never stopped Fleming! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Who knows it may have helped. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Who knows it may have helped. :))

With Fleming the drink and the fags definitely did!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11833706/Modern-James-Bond-films-too-soft-says-Flemings-successor.html
    Horowitz is not a fan of the new Bond films, he thinks they show Bond as weak.

In this case I tend to agree with Horowitz's analysis.
  • discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    The comments Horowitz made about Idris Elba have created a huge stir here in the US. The franchise is being called racist and there have been calls to boycott the films if Elba is not in the next one.
  • lippelippe Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Can someone fill me in on what is so offensive about the term 'street'? I don't get the controversy here.
  • discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    Social media (especially twitter) here in the US have decided that "too street" was a racist code word for "too black".
    I Honestly think Horowitz didn't mean it that way. I'm sure he's
    Heard the phrase on TV and from Teenagers, so decided to use it
    Himself.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Idris is too... Idris. There's nothing about him in anyway that suggests Bond.

Back in the early 80s you'd look at Tim and Pierce and say, "yes, potential Bond" due to the roles they'd played and the way they carried themselves. Lazenby got the role because he looked and behaved like James Bond! Rog was the Saint and so James Bond became the Saint. Craig? Well, he was in Layer Cake...

But Idris has none of these qualities. Make a great John Shaft, though. But the Yanks aren't going to cast a Brit in such an iconic cultural role. And Idris and his management know that.

No need to apologise, Tony, IMHO.
    I Honestly think Horowitz didn't mean it that way. I'm sure he's
    Heard the phrase on TV and from Teenagers, so decided to use it
    Himself.

Some People just sadly look for things to be offended by.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I think so too. -{
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Social media (especially twitter) here in the US have decided that "too street" was a racist code word for "too black".

I'm not here to stir the pot ; I'm honestly curious ; What do you think he meant by that comment?
    Matt S wrote:
    Theres no other stories around. Hence this Idris Elba/Horowicz rubbish

No, I don't see it as rubbish. When you use your freedom of speech, you're responsible for what you say, especially if it's work-related. I can't think of what else Horowicz could have meant.

The man used the wrong word. It's the impression he got from watching Luther. It's unlikely Horowitz is a true racist like Ian Fleming was.

I don't want to derail the Daniel Craig thread, but what is true racism? The KKK? I feel like it's often an excuse to justify casual racism, which is still very harmful. I live in the States, where there is severe racial inequality, so perhaps I'm biased in that regard.

I don't think Horowitz is a full-on racist. He's probably a decent guy with good intentions who made a mistake. Just like Roger Moore with the English-English comment. But the mistake is still there.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

I'm not here to stir the pot ; I'm honestly curious ; What do you think he meant by that comment?
    Matt S wrote:

No, I don't see it as rubbish. When you use your freedom of speech, you're responsible for what you say, especially if it's work-related. I can't think of what else Horowicz could have meant.

The man used the wrong word. It's the impression he got from watching Luther. It's unlikely Horowitz is a true racist like Ian Fleming was.

I don't want to derail the Daniel Craig thread, but what is true racism? The KKK? I feel like it's often an excuse to justify casual racism, which is still very harmful. I live in the States, where there is severe racial inequality, so perhaps I'm biased in that regard.

I don't think Horowitz is a full-on racist. He's probably a decent guy with good intentions who made a mistake. Just like Roger Moore with the English-English comment. But the mistake is still there.

Horowitz did not make any racist comments. I believe he even qualified his "too street" remark in the same interview by stating that Elba was not "suave" enough. The American media attempts to stir racial tension at every opportunity. Often times it has been justified as of late. But in this instance it is not. If you live outside the U.S., it may be difficult to conceptualize just how backward the country is with respect to race relations. Horowitz has unwittingly stumbled into this.
    And pretty much most of the Backlash has come from the States. There are several Videos about this on Youtube already, and all from American Channels.
    I also think alot of it has to do with, although we share a language
    with the US, we speak a different one, and something that may be see
    As offensive over there is considered normal over here. A case in point
    the word Fanny in America is used on kids TV as a cute word for bum, yet
    over here you're never hear it on kids TV as it means something else.
    I really wouldn't have known the expression until today, but would have worked it out to mean little bastards who hang around estates, street corner, shopping centres and the like on little bikes wearing hoodies, talking comic-strip BS and pretending they're hard.

No?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff

Can I ask how you get to 'racist' from 'too street' ? There is no logical connection :s

We have the terms 'street-wise' and 'street-cred' - neither imply 'black' or 'racist' ....
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Complete load of tosh
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Horowitz did not make any racist comments. I believe he even qualified his "too street" remark in the same interview by stating that Elba was not "suave" enough.

And Daniel Craig is suave enough?

I'm not sure how one would be okay with Craig's brutish and thuggish portrayal of Bond and then say Elba's "street-ness" disqualifies him.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Horowitz did not make any racist comments. I believe he even qualified his "too street" remark in the same interview by stating that Elba was not "suave" enough.

And Daniel Craig is suave enough?

I'm not sure how one would be okay with Craig's brutish and thuggish portrayal of Bond and then say Elba's "street-ness" disqualifies him.

First off, I don't think Horowitz is that keen on Craig's Bond films, at least according to that interview.

Second, I cannot pretend to be in Horowitz's head, so I don't know what he thinks is "suave enough." The man obviously has lots of opinions about lots of things, and just because those opinions don't comport with the U.S. media's approved script for how one should discuss certain things doesn't make Horowitz a racist. Whether you agree with his basic assessment is another matter altogether.
    Horowitz isn't a racist. I think he has good intentions but like many people he probably went along with the subtle stereotyping that cultures do. He made a mistake, but we all make mistakes from time to time.

From all that I've seen of Elba, he's very suave, gentlemanly, well-mannered, charismatic and IMO sexy. I'm still trying to find out what's so street and un-suave about him. Is it because he does some DJing on hiphop records? I hope not ; that's a really trivial reason to exclude somebody.
  • RevelatorRevelator Posts: 582MI6 Agent
    And pretty much most of the Backlash has come from the States.

It's brought out some haters in Britain too--The New Statesman, which has been faithfully attacking Fleming since 1958, published the following:
    http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/books/2015/09/breaking-bond-ceiling-won-t-solve-british-cinema-s-race-problems

The author of that article also reviewed Trigger Mortis for the Guardian:
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/sep/02/trigger-mortis-anthony-horowitz-review-bond
    Rather surprisingly I was able to purchase a paperback copy of Trigger Mortis today in Easons. It was discounted by £2. Looking forward to reading it. :) -{
    It's already out in Ireland? ?:)
    edited September 2015
    You sure you got the right book? Amazon doesn't even have a paperback listing with a publication date until 19 May next year
    edited September 2015
    I think there is anouther Book called Trigger Mortis

But if it is the actual Book, then I'm rather confused as to how someone has gotten hold of it this early.
    I think there is anouther Book called Trigger Mortis

There was, it seems, a 50s pulp novel by that name
    edited September 2015
    No, it's the right book. I got it in Northern Ireland. I couldn't believe it when I saw they had copies out already - I think they usually keep them in the back until the release date. It's the Orion paperback dated 2015. :) -{
    No, it's the right book. I got it in Northern Ireland. :) -{

Strange, But lucky :)